Dress Code for Men

Archipelago

Probably just take the tux with 2 different sets of studs and ties and no cummerbund . I would wear a jacket the other nights to be in keeping with the elegance it deserves . Am hoping when my caregiving days are over to do World voyages and will go Princess Grill then . I'm allowed 2 checked bags so no problem to pack my tux . I always wore it on QE2. Looking at 18 day roundtrip NYC . :}

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

Clip on/pre tied/self tie

It's a bow tie and although the purists [really??] might be able to distinguish, like you, I have no intention of finding out!  It's a ruddy bow tie!

Good grief, it reminds me of school where we were inspected on the state of our school tie knots!  😲

They never bothered about ties at my place. They had probably exhausted themselves monitoring skirt lengths.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Archipelago said:

Another question please ..is Britannia Club worth the upcharge or just stick to balcony ? This is just 18 days ....???? Thank You all very much for your patiencewith my questions .

It’ll depend on the upcharge.  Sometimes it’s almost as expensive as PG. 

cabin in mostly the same (Same size, marginally better extras). So it’s almost all down to the restaurant- any time dining at the same table (anytime in MDR means random tables, or fixed times at same tables). Some a La Carte items. 

18 days is not a “just”… 

30 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

They never bothered about ties at my place. They had probably exhausted themselves monitoring skirt lengths.

Huh

we had that too!😀

At the end of the day, those who try their darnedest to follow 'suggested' dress attire, are OK for me.

50 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

If it means chaps who don't normally go for a DJ go all out and wear one - with a clip on bow tie, then good for them.

Don't let's get precious over a bow tie. I;m just happy they're worn! 😀

When the OH can tie my bow tie, why wouldn’t I wear a proper one (I used to be able to tie them at University)?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

When the OH can tie my bow tie, why wouldn’t I wear a proper one (I used to be able to tie them at University)?

I do not consider that part of my wifely duty. Where might it lead? I’ll be putting his slippers out ready next.

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Absolutely fine. That's for you and yours.

Others may not have that expertise or practise. Clip on fits the bill perfectly or in our case, a pre tied and please don't judge as I haven't the patience  and my husband can't any more.

That well used phrase -each to their own

... and let no one judge. 🙂

• Like 4

@Archipelago  Please try your best and as others stated above, make an effort in dress. I like to dress to match the quite nice decor of Cunard ships. To me, the dress code is the same whether on a TA, Alaska, or Caribbean/Med cruise. 
Match the elegance of the ship is my mantra. 

10 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Others may not have that expertise or practise. Clip on fits the bill perfectly or in our case, a pre tied and please don't judge as I haven't the patience  and my husband can't any more.

I’ve cheated in the past: tied ones have a length adjuster. Tie the bow round a leg and use the length adjuster as the main way of fixing round the neck… 

2 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

A polo shirt has a collar by definition of what a collar is and obviously is a shirt. The OP was asking if it was ok to wear one and given that I have done so without any problem then it’s obviously ok. I did wear a jacket but that was removed for dinner. A quality mono-coloured polo shirt can be as smart as many “proper shirts” - and,(in my opinion obviously), smarter  than short sleeved “proper shirts” - which I consider rather naff… 😉

A hoodie is a hoodie. Not sure anyone would argue they were ok. 

I'm afraid we'll just have to disagree.

While it may be ok to wear one, and Cunard don't make enforcement easy by requesting, I and many others wouldn't agree that's the intention. Not that I'm likely to notice. I don't pay much attention to what other men wear, although there was a German couple sporting matching slate grey tux suits, and I'd quite like to find one of them. Whether I'd pay the asking price is another matter!

You obviously fared better than me in finding a decent definition of what a collar is. Based on a Britannica Dictionary definition of collar, my wife could lead me round the ship wearing a large studded dog collar. 🙂

I'll continue to wear smart short sleeved shirts when temperatures here are 25C+. I wouldn't take one on QM2 again.

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

I’m all for not judging up to a point, if only because my eyesight is so bad. But…I would feel very judgemental about someone who turned up in dinner jacket, black tie, and…black shorts. There is a limit. I hope.  😀

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I’m all for not judging up to a point, if only because my eyesight is so bad. But…I would feel very judgemental about someone who turned up in dinner jacket, black tie, and…black shorts. There is a limit. I hope.  😀

I would assume one wearing a dog collar would fit into that point too?

11 minutes ago, NE John said:

I would assume one wearing a dog collar would fit into that point too?

Having said that; if I'd followed in my father's footsteps, I'd probably wear a dog collar. 🙂

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Surprisingly, I have seen Bermudas and Black Tie!  The Bermudas WERE black [as were the knee length socks]  and the jacket was whitish ivory, so yes, it does happen though not, I suspect, ever on Cunard! 😀

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Surprisingly, I have seen Bermudas and Black Tie!  The Bermudas WERE black [as were the knee length socks]  and the jacket was whitish ivory, so yes, it does happen though not, I suspect, ever on Cunard! 😀

Might that qualify as "Formal National Dress" for someone from Bermuda, I wonder? Now we really are getting into a deep dive of the dress code details aren't we? 🙂

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Could that qualify as "Formal National Dress" for someone from Bermuda? Now we really are getting into a deep dive of the dress code details aren't we? 🙂

More Key West style so don’t think it qualifies for National status!😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's very easy to explicitly say that Polo shirts are not considered acceptable,  Saga do this. As Cunard hasn't done this simple thing, one must presume that Polo shirts are within the dress code. Saga Therefore has the strictest dress code I know.

Some thing is either within the dress code, eg  no jacket and completely acceptable,  or it is outside the dress code and shouldn't be allowed. Therefore Polo  shirts are acceptable. The dress code is the standard , not the minimum. 

It's very easy to see the difference between a ready made bow tie and proper self tied one from yards away.  Artificial ones are too perfect and often centre too small

• Like 1

I love when DH takes me to dinner on a Cunard ship. He looks so handsome in his tux. I am dressed in my glitter. If it is not a formal night, he wears shirt, tie and jacket. We were brought up to dress according to the occasion. I consider an evening on a Cunard ship a special occasion.That is part of the reason we cruise Cunard. Disappointed that there are only 2 formal nights on my next cruise. 

Also for men who do not like to wear a jacket. Please do not remove your jacket and place it on the back of your chair. Seeing all the jackets on the backs of chairs makes the restaurant look  very (the only word I can find to describe this is) messy. And I am far from being a neat freak. If you do not intend to wear the jacket for dinner, just leave it in your cabin,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Amen.... honestly, you'd think they were digging a ditch at dinner or after dinner. The only time that was acceptable was in CANBERRA's notorious Stadium "Theatre" which was originally, as the name suggests, a semi enclosed sports deck that they roofed over to be the first "theatre at sea" and had...well... no effective air conditioning.  The performers were soaked in 20 mins and every chair back was draped with a dinner jacket.  Why it was another CANBERRA tradition. 

But come on people.... learn some manners. Jackets belong on your back, not the chair's. And if you're working up a sweat eating dinner, you might think about that, too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Amen.... honestly, you'd think they were digging a ditch at dinner or after dinner. The only time that was acceptable was in CANBERRA's notorious Stadium "Theatre" which was originally, as the name suggests, a semi enclosed sports deck that they roofed over to be the first "theatre at sea" and had...well... no effective air conditioning.  The performers were soaked in 20 mins and every chair back was draped with a dinner jacket.  Why it was another CANBERRA tradition. 

But come on people.... learn some manners. Jackets belong on your back, not the chair's. And if you're working up a sweat eating dinner, you might think about that, too. 

My husband's chair never wears a jacket and etiquette [not manners] demand chairs don't usually wear jackets, but be very careful on the 'working up a sweat' issue as I would far rather prefer to see a jacket on a chair than sweat running down an affected face and having been seated with affected fellow passengers in that scenario pre revised dress codes, if the wait staff actively encouraged chaps to remove jackets before a health and safety issue occurred, then common sense prevailed.

Can't win occasionally. Jackets are to be encouraged but if the air-con can't cope, don't take them off?

Thank heavens for those who have common sense.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

I really don’t care about what you consider “manners”. I’m on holiday. I will do what I want to be comfortable within the guidelines set by Cunard. I will usually remove a jacket for dinner because that’s a more pleasant way to eat.  

Too many people these days care about what others are up to - too easily offended when others are causing them no harm. 

• Like 2

Several years ago I was at a family member's wedding. The groom and many of the guests were serving officers in the Royal Navy. During the meal jackets were worn and it was only after the meal that the senior officer announced "relax jackets" at which point jackets could be removed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Jackets are not required, so I completely agree is easiest  and better if you don't want to wear one  leave it in room. Jackets on the back of chairs are not good for the jacket and asking to be knocked off,  or spilled upon.

But to everyone who is nostalgic for jackets,  or thinks that people who wear jackets are somehow better.  Sorry its the CUNARD DRESS CODE, which is what it is, ie jackets optional. 

Edited by Windsurfboy