Holland America Spa Verandah Does Not Give You Spa Access In Spa Room Category

Interest Spa Verandah Alaska North Bound on Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam for July until I found out that did not actually include access to the Spa access. Done NCL Spa level which included daily pass to spa, Celebrity Aqua Class does same. But Holland wants to $400 more person ($800 couple) for yoga mat, fancy lotions (worked in the manufacturing industry know manufacturing costs), earth tones, linens but we would have to pay additional for spa pass. NCL spa level $250 more per person and built in spa daily pass which was fantastic. The spa is our zen area. Lucky I did the research on Cruise Critic and other sites where people say Spa Verandah not worth it and not include the spa pass. I called the reservation line and it took about 10 minutes for the person on other end to confirm my suspicions because they did not even know. Holland America for trying to imitate NCL/Celebrity without including spa pass but charging higher price.

• Like 2

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

It’s good you researched and didn’t just assume things are the same on HAL as they are on other lines. Each line is different.

Hopefully you have chosen a different cabin to your liking, and you will enjoy some of the other things that make HAL special.

• Like 6

I have been on many cruise lines.  Because it was so hard to get the answer from Holland America I do not plan on cruising on Holland America, they do not have a true spa class/category.  I prefer a true spa category like NCL spa rooms and Celebrity Aqua Class.  Holland America is not for me.

• Like 1

On Holland America it is only location and you pay $800 more per couple.  NCL Spa was around $500 more per couple but that included not only location but also daily access to spa pool, spa lounges, steam rooms and sauna.  Celebrity Aqua class gives you access like NCL and the special dining.

13 minutes ago, Christina2067 said:

On Holland America it is only location and you pay $800 more per couple.  NCL Spa was around $500 more per couple but that included not only location but also daily access to spa pool, spa lounges, steam rooms and sauna.  Celebrity Aqua class gives you access like NCL and the special dining.

Location always costs money.  As they say in real estate location, location, location.

HAL has its own programs.  They do have spa passes, they do have a dining pass and so on.  Always pick the cruise line that has the amenities you are seeking.  I am glad you found out before booking 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'm glad you learned this and now know HAL isn't for you. I'm not sure the reason for your post as it's been discussed here. Are you just wanting to announce that you are dissatisfied and won't use HAL? I don't mean that to be snarky, but genuine. There are plenty of reasons I don't choose other lines that I feel HAL is better for. There are different locations where I am likely to use a different line rather than HAL. Everyone has different preferences and yours don't align with HAL. For most people in this forum we are here because it does meet ours. 

I hope you have an amazing cruise no matter the line you go through! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I too, am genuinely glad that you did your due diligence on these cabins.  Their location is not even ideal (high and forward = more motion) and the balcony is much smaller than regular verandahs. And yes, the few "inclusions" do not warrant the higher price, BUT, they are still MUCH less expensive than an AQ on X.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, julia said:

Their location is not even ideal (high and forward = more motion) and the balcony is much smaller than regular verandahs.

HAL created the "Spa" category a few years back to charge more for poorly-selling cabins (for the reasons you state). Genius marketing I guess! I actually like the locations even though I am not a spa user, but not the higher tariff. But I do look and compare rates...

ETA: We like to be near the Crows Nest!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

HAL created the "Spa" category a few years back to charge more for poorly-selling cabins (for the reasons you state). Genius marketing I guess! I actually like the locations even though I am not a spa user, but not the higher tariff. But I do look and compare rates...

ETA: We like to be near the Crows Nest!

Some of us like high, proximity to certain features and the quiet.  Well worth the extra price.  I haven’t bought a spa cabin but I have paid more for comparably situated cabins in my preferred category.  Right now I am regretting a cabin I have booked in the lower regions, hopefully it will work out and maybe I will become a convert.  If one has no motion sickness one can not worry about position plus I find modern ships so stable to the point of being boring 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

It’s good you researched and didn’t just assume things are the same on HAL as they are on other lines. Each line is different.

That's the point--each line is different.  Good on you for finding that out.

• Like 1

I know some people have commented on location is worth the price but “spa” category without spa access is not for me.  I did not put in my original post that I have been on Holland America years ago and it was ok but it was not my favorite line.  That is my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

HAL has its own programs.  They do have spa passes, they do have a dining pass and so on.  Always pick the cruise line that has the amenities you are seeking.  I am glad you found out before booking 

Same here. 

It’s good you realized your experience wouldn’t meet your expectations and you can instead stick with what you like and enjoy your vacation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Christina2067 said:

I have been on many cruise lines.  Because it was so hard to get the answer from Holland America I do not plan on cruising on Holland America, they do not have a true spa class/category.  I prefer a true spa category like NCL spa rooms and Celebrity Aqua Class.  Holland America is not for me.

I agree that it is natural for someone to think that labelling a cabin as a Spa Cabin, and charging significantly more the cabins, would allow you access to the Spa for the premium.  I doubt that it is natural for most people not familiar with HAL to wonder if they are calling them Spa cabins and charging more it is only because the cabins are located close to the Spa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christina2067 said:

I know some people have commented on location is worth the price but “spa” category without spa access is not for me.  I did not put in my original post that I have been on Holland America years ago and it was ok but it was not my favorite line.  That is my opinion.

I am truly curious. Why were you looking at HAL again?  I will never consider Oceania again after my experience with them no matter how wonderful the itinerary.

• Like 1

The only reason was that wanted the Glacier Bay passage if possible in Alaska and only Princess and Holland America have the permission for that port.  I also have cruised Princess as well.  Holland and Princess were neither my favorite lines of the many that I have been on.   

2 minutes ago, Christina2067 said:

The only reason was that wanted the Glacier Bay passage if possible in Alaska and only Princess and Holland America have the permission for that port.  I also have cruised Princess as well.  Holland and Princess were neither my favorite lines of the many that I have been on.   

Yes, they are good bets for Glacier Bay however there are other lines that sail Glacier Bay now.  Do an advanced search on Cruise Critic and put in Glacier bay under ports 

I was asked why I posted my dissatisfaction from someone who likes Holland America in post above.  The simple fact is because Holland America does not make it clear.  I only got concerned when I saw other peoples posts and knew before I booked I needed clarity.  I have corporate purchasing background and always research before I buy.  If you are a fan of Holland America that is your choice but it is not my preference, that is my choice.

• Like 1