On Radiance ... all ports cancelled due to issues with proposal system

Until more is known it's way too early to ring the death bell on the ship.

If a propellor hit something submerged that's like saying my car got a flat tire two years in a row, must be time to sell it.  

Plus if the issue last year was one azipod that has no bearing on the other azipod.  Even if it is the same issue with the other azipod, with both fixed that would make her good to go for a number of years.

So many variables need to be narrowed down before drawing conclusions.  

• Like 4

16 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

But, yes, if the blades are available (some ships carry a spare set on the bow), then it would be just a couple of days to replace the blades by diver.

11 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Marinetraffic is showing her destination as Astoria, pointing to her going to Portland for drydocking.  Currently Vigor's dock is empty, Victoria's dock currently has Norwegian Sun in it.  Radiance doing 15.8 knots.

What do you make of this @chengkp75? Marinetraffic has Radiance at 15.5 knots "arriving" at Astoria at 11:30pm this evening. I don't understand if she keeps going down the river right to Portland and into Vigor's drydock.... surely not with passengers on board?? Do they perhaps first inspect the ship (divers) overnight in Astoria before deciding on repairs in the drydock? I guess I'm asking what the process may be, especially arriving at 11:30 at night

Personal opinion.... if this requires drydock, maybe they may limp to Vancouver to complete the sailing (way cheaper than forcing 2000 passengers off in Portland), then sail her back down to Vigor drydock for a few days or whatever time is needed. I feel this will likely play out kind of like Brilliance last month with at least one upcoming cruise cancelled for repairs.

50 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

What do you make of this @chengkp75? Marinetraffic has Radiance at 15.5 knots "arriving" at Astoria at 11:30pm this evening. I don't understand if she keeps going down the river right to Portland and into Vigor's drydock.... surely not with passengers on board?? Do they perhaps first inspect the ship (divers) overnight in Astoria before deciding on repairs in the drydock? I guess I'm asking what the process may be, especially arriving at 11:30 at night

Marine traffic shows: Estimated time of arrival:2024-04-24 11:30 (UTC-7)

this would be this morning rather than tonight, so I think it’s just not been updated. Sounds like it’s going straight to Vancouver.

1 hour ago, Hoopster95 said:

Personal opinion.... if this requires drydock, maybe they may limp to Vancouver to complete the sailing (way cheaper than forcing 2000 passengers off in Portland), then sail her back down to Vigor drydock for a few days or whatever time is needed. I feel this will likely play out kind of like Brilliance last month with at least one upcoming cruise cancelled for repairs.

I think they will have to drop people off in Vancouver. No matter where they go to have it repaired...it is unlikely that they would try to end the sailing in the US. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DEBCAT65 said:

This situation happened Sept 2023.  Two cruises were cancelled for azipod issues.  Fast forward to now, azipod issues once again.  P

This is like saying you have "car issues" when you have repairs done for brakes one year and cooling system the next.

• Like 1

Can't argue with the Captain, Vancouver it is.  If it is just bent blades, they could do this in the water in Vancouver or Victoria.  If it's an azipod failure, then likely back to Portland for dry dock.  As for ending the cruise in the US, a mechanical failure exemption from the PVSA is almost invariably granted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

This is like saying you have "car issues" when you have repairs done for brakes one year and cooling system the next.

Agreed, however, for many, this is supposed to be a once in a lifetime trip.  We were physically on board when our cruise was cancelled.  It was pretty chaotic.  Many of the crew became instant travel agents to assist getting people back to Anchorage and on flights home.  It was a mess I would prefer not to repeat.  Additionally, azipod issues are common, however, twice in less than 1 year seems odd.  Especially since these issues cause a great financial loss to the cruise line.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DEBCAT65 said:

Agreed, however, for many, this is supposed to be a once in a lifetime trip.

And, I sympathise with that.

1 hour ago, DEBCAT65 said:

Additionally, azipod issues are common, however, twice in less than 1 year seems odd.  

But, as I say, lumping these into "azipod issues" oversimplifies the problem.  Is it something external to the azipod, like a bent blade?  While causing propulsion issues (slower speed), it is not an "azipod issue".  Is it the same pod as last year?  What was the failure last year?  What is the failure this year?  Are they the same failure, or something in a totally different sub-system (like a bearing failure one time, and a failure of the steering (azimuthing) system, or even in the electrical control system that modulates the electrical power to various frequencies to allow the propeller to operate at various speeds?  Way too many variables to lump things together and condemn this as a recurring problem.

And, while the cruising public feel that azipods are an everyday form of propulsion, and despite the fact they've been in use for about 30 years, the sample size of azipod maintenance history is still relatively small.  For example, there are about 120,000 merchant ships in the world today, each with one propeller (so one propulsion system), and over the 30 year life of azipods, those have produced 15-20 billion running hours (depending on how long the ship is in port) (and considering that shafted slow speed diesel engines have been powering ships for about 100 years, or 3 times as long as azipods).  Azipods, on the other hand, only have about 700 units in operations (0.5% as many as the shafted propellers), and have generated 20 million running hours (0.1% compared to the shafted propellers), so their statistical database for equipment failure rates, and maintenance rates are still quite low compared to "conventional" propulsion.  So, they are still learning things about how azipods last and when to maintain them, and will do so for many years to come.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DFWPalm said:

Captain said today that we will be entering the Vancouver Harbor at 15:00 on Thursday, docking between 21 and 22:00 in Vancouver Thursday. 

15 hours ago, IrishWhisperer said:

Marine traffic shows: Estimated time of arrival:2024-04-24 11:30 (UTC-7)

this would be this morning rather than tonight, so I think it’s just not been updated. Sounds like it’s going straight to Vancouver.

Ugh! That was stupid of me.

11:30 …. Not 23:30.

So she arrives a day early. Hopefully they can do the repair right there without affecting the next cruise.

fingers crossed for everyone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Southern Dan said:

I hope they are able to get the work done and get y'all out without much delay!!!

🙏 This is the strangest I've felt on the day before vacation. Will my first cruise happen? haha 🙏

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Stopped by guest services to pick up the b2b letter (cabin attendant said to pick it up there) and was told we should be leaving on time tomorrow.  I guess she would have to say this regardless, but that's what I was told. 

Edited by KLMB
changed wording
  • Like 3

We are on board the Radiance now.  We are docked in Vancouver since around 9 pm.   Rumors are everywhere.   Many people on board are book for the next leg for Alaska.   Some say the ship will board passengers but stay tied up for 3 days.  Then take some abbreviated Voyage.  One couple said that they were told to leave the ship and go through customs and then get back on.  Apparently engineers have flown in from Finland.   Probably more news in the morning.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Sounds like  a mess either way this turns out. Feel sorry for the people traveling cross country for what might be or not be for their upcoming cruise.

Their first port(Juneau) is on Sunday the 28th, High temperature of 46 degrees and showers 😞

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

So  when are they posting the  new update for this saiing which is suppose to be today??

Below is the latest update on Royal's site for the sailing on the 26th........nothing posted there on the 25th or 26th?

Travel Update - Radiance of the Seas

Last Updated April 23, 2024 - 5:00PM EDT

Radiance of the Seas® sailing on Friday, April 26, 2024 from Vancouver

We’re excited to welcome you onboard Radiance of the Seas® for our April 26, 2024 sailing! We have an important update. Unfortunately, we’re having technical issues on a current sailing of Radiance of the Seas® resulting in slower speed. Our team is hard at work, and we expect to complete all repairs on time for your sailing. We will keep you informed every step of the way and will provide another update on April 25th.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

We can’t wait to welcome you onboard.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CinRN said:

Just wondering if anyone has any new information? Supposed to be boarding in an hour! 🧐

Communication isn't their strong point!

2 hours ago, CinRN said:

Just wondering if anyone has any new information? Supposed to be boarding in an hour! 🧐

Well, you would have been on board for an hour now, finding out that you're staying in Vancouver for the next two days, but have a free drink package until then. Plus the usual refund/FCC stuff.

• Like 1