Price increase for cruise booked via Chat

Hello

We have booked a cruise via online chat . I was sent a link and paid a £500 deposit.  

Upon receiving the confirmation the price is double. Obviously I can't do this and want my deposit back. 

I realised its a mistake on thier part but they're denying that. Obviously I have a copy of the chat. The problem seems to be the quote was per person not total price-but nowhere does it say this.

Posted (edited)

Most cruise lines quote their fares per person. Usually there is a notation close to the fare stating it is per person, and for Australian cruise that it has port fees and taxes included in the quoted fare e.g.

Screenshot_20240430_175556_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.98665dbaae4d43ca1799b47cf5158761.jpg

How did you find out about the cruise? 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Most cruise lines quote their fares per person. Usually there is a notation close to the fare stating it is per person, and for Australian cruise that it has port fees and taxes included in the quoted fare e.g.

Screenshot_20240430_175556_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.98665dbaae4d43ca1799b47cf5158761.jpg

How did you find out about the cruise? 

They advertised it. I took a screenshot and messaged saying 'I'm interested in this' the screenshot included fly cruise and pp prices so obviously I knew it would be double that ( for 2 passengers). 

It was slightly over double so I said yes great and paid deposit.  Confirmation is double that figure ( so 4 times advertised)

13 minutes ago, 4380 said:

There was no fine print, it was a chat

Most of the people on this board are Australian and New Zealanders. You mention you paid in GBP so I assume you’re in Britain where your consumer law would differ from ours. Either way, you need to raise this issue with your credit card company if you paid via card and have the charge reversed or contact the consumer affairs group to seek redress. 

I’m even wondering if you got scammed. Do you have proof your deposit went to a reputable company?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Booking through 'chat' sounds a bit suspect - of course could be legit.

OP suggest you post on the UK board here on CC if you haven't already as people there may have a better idea of what you can do.

• Thanks 1

• Host Hattie changed the title to Price increase for cruise booked via Chat

Are you sure this was an offical webpage? Not a scam? I've never heard of booking via chat. And contain your credit card provider immediately. 

Ditto no cruise companies in the UK sell cruise via chat. Sorry but think you've ben ripped. I suggest you get in touch with your bank if you paid by debit card (in which case you probably wont have any protection or come back) or credit card company if you used one who will put a block on payment and chase the sods. If its too cheap its too good to be true think twice do more research. DO NOT SEND THEM ANY MONEY. HTH

12 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Are you sure this was an offical webpage? Not a scam? I've never heard of booking via chat. And contain your credit card provider immediately. 

2 hours ago, 4380 said:

They advertised it. I took a screenshot and messaged saying 'I'm interested in this' the screenshot included fly cruise and pp prices so obviously I knew it would be double that ( for 2 passengers). 

It was slightly over double so I said yes great and paid deposit.  Confirmation is double that figure ( so 4 times advertised)

What type of cabin did you book? The lead in fares are always the lowest category of cabin ie inside cabins and increase for each cabin class, quite significantly in some cases 

37 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Princess have Live Chat and I can't see why you couldn't book a cruise through that. It's not much different than phoning Princess to book.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

think you've ben ripped

The OP hasnt mentioned if the contact is direct with a cruise line or a travel agent. If the former, then it's not going to be a scam. If the latter, then it may well be. 

Contacting the credit card company to reverse the payment is a good first step. If it's a scam then they should be able to sort it out. If it's not a scam, then it may well be much trickier - "caveat emptor" will apply - it is the responsibility of the buyer to understand what they are buying. And, in this, the OP has probably already entered into a contract - an offer has been made and that's been accepted by the payment of the deposit.  Might also be worth making contact with ABTA, assuming it is a travel agent and they are members. 

Edited by Harters

There are a few unknowns here. If it is legit, they have said they have screen shots of the chat and the offer which they have said the price doubled. They may have the proof to either have the offer honoured or at least cancelled without charge.

UK law allows you to cancel anything within 14 days that you've bought over the internet. On a cruise ship, you are buying accommodation. Sadly, accommodation is excluded from the 14-day rule.

If you've booked via the cruise line website, there will be a record of the chat which you can request. By travel agent, it may be different.

A few questions, to see if I can help:

• Do you have a record of the chat?
  • When did you book the cruise?
  • Which cruise line?
  • Did you pay by credit card? (don't give details of your credit card here)
  • Who did you book with - the cruise line or a travel agent ?
  • Does the company have an ATOL certificate?

Feel free to DM me these answers if you'd prefer a more private chat, but do not under any circumstances give credit card details, reference numbers or any other personal details, especially on a public forum. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RedgeToo said:

• Does the company have an ATOL certificate?

ATOL - or ABTA.

If they quote an ATOL or ABTA registration, check it out - if it turns out to be fictitious it's almost-certainly a scam.

In the meantime I'm still confused by the OP's post. 

Is @4380in Aus? Or the UK? Or elsewhere ?

The terms of the contract must be in line with the law of the country from which the booking was made.

"Chat" tells us nothing. Chat on a website? Whose website?

"Yes via thier website" tells us nothing.

Which cruise line is involved? Princess has been mentioned by one responder but not confirmed by the OP

OP initially said "The problem seems to be the quote was per person not total price-but nowhere does it say this."

But later says "the screenshot included fly cruise and pp prices so obviously I knew it would be double that ( for 2 passengers). Confirmation is double that figure ( so 4 times advertised)".

So which is it?

OP says "I was sent a link and paid a £500 deposit."

How was that paid? 

Credit card? There are safeguards - dispute it with the card issuer (Visa or Matercard or whoever)

Debit card. Fewer safeguards, but there are some. Dispute it with the bank.

An intermediary like PayPal ?  I don't know my stuff on them.

Bank Transfer ? A big possibility this was a scam, probably with no cruise at all. Contact the bank & police but almost-certainly no recourse.

This is @4380' s only contact with Cruise Critic, presumably just to seek advice.

But we're going round in circles, we need full background in order to give any sort of worthwhile advice

JB 🙂