Virtual Verandahs on Edge

We have an upcoming cruise on the Edge in a Concierge Cabin with a VV.

I have heard they are a love/hate thing and it is our first time to get one.

What do you consider the pros and cons of them?

19 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

For us personal preference. We like a traditionally type balcony. Booked our first DPV for the Apex in 2022 for our 2023 Caribbean Apex cruise without considering booking an IV. We've got another DPV booked for our September Alaska Edge cruise. 

• Thanks 1

I like them, rarely used traditional balconies when I had them, so have more room space is actually nicer for me.

Plus, for cooler cruises like Alaksa or NOR Fjords, they are great to get floor to ceiling views.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kr00t0n said:

I like them, rarely used traditional balconies when I had them, so have more room space is actually nicer for me.

Plus, for cooler cruises like Alaksa or NOR Fjords, they are great to get floor to ceiling views.

That was one of the pros I was thinking.  Mexico and Caribbean usually too hot and humid to enjoy them but with the VV I figured shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

We loved our IV Veranda, makes room bigger, lay in bed watch world go by, no curtain in the way.They use hidden blinds.Way more privacy. We rarely used Balconies, my husband now wants theses cabins only.

• Like 1

Just now, cruizingOmi said:

We loved our IV Veranda, makes room bigger, lay in bed watch world go by, no curtain in the way.They use hidden blinds.Way more privacy. We rarely used Balconies, my husband now wants theses cabins only.

That is one pro/con is the no curtains.

PRO: Don't have to worry about the edge flopping and not closing properly

CON: With no curtain, does the frosted French doors do enough to keep the light out at night?

3 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

CON: With no curtain, does the frosted French doors do enough to keep the light out at night?

There is a electric shade that covers the window.  No problem sleeping.  We love these cabins and prefer them over a regular balcony.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, doghog said:

For us personal preference. We like a traditionally type balcony. Booked our first DPV for the Apex in 2022 for our 2023 Caribbean Apex cruise without considering booking an IV. We've got another DPV booked for our September Alaska Edge cruise. 

Sorry, not being familiar with all the acronyms, what is a DPV?

56 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

There is an electric blind that can come down, you can control how far you want it closed.

1 hour ago, RTShaker said:

Sorry, not being familiar with all the acronyms, what is a DPV?

Deluxe Porthole Veranda. Unlike Infinite Verandas, there is an outdoor space, smaller than a traditional balcony, with a large porthole.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Deluxe Porthole Veranda. Unlike Infinite Verandas, there is an outdoor space, smaller than a traditional balcony, with a large porthole.

Thanks. I know what and where they are, but the acronym escaped me. I sometimes wish people would write things out in full at least the first time in a post for those of us that aren't aware of all the short forms..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is no such thing as a virtual veranda on Celebrity that I'm aware of.  What Celebrity offers is a infinite veranda, which is a cabin with a large picture window where the balcony would normally be, in which the top half of the glass window moves up and down.

Royal Caribbean uses the term virtual balcony to describe interior staterooms that have very large lcd screens on one wall, that show real time virtual views from a camera on the exterior of the ship, to simulate what you would be seeing if you had an actual balcony. Two completely different things.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

There is no such thing as a virtual veranda on Celebrity that I'm aware of.  What Celebrity offers is a infinite veranda, which is a cabin with a large picture window where the balcony would normally be, in which the top half of the glass window moves up and down.

Royal Caribbean uses the term virtual balcony to describe interior staterooms that have very large lcd screens on one wall, that show real time virtual views from a camera on the exterior of the ship, to simulate what you would be seeing if you had an actual balcony. Two completely different things.

interesting post.. I wondered where the misnomer " virtual veranda" came from as to Celebrity..

We like to call it a "garden room".. like a closed in porch with optional window!  Put a few fake orchids/ plants in there and it  could be a nice sun room 

3 hours ago, RTShaker said:

Thanks. I know what and where they are, but the acronym escaped me. I sometimes wish people would write things out in full at least the first time in a post for those of us that aren't aware of all the short forms..

There's always the SVs. Great locations and larger balconies. 

• Like 1

I do not see it as pros and cons. Rather, I see it as a new presentation on an old theme. I enjoy both equally, but the advantage of an IV is that I can sit on the balcony when it is blowing and pouring rain, or extremely hot, or extremely cold, and still be dry and comfortable. Although you do not have total control over opening and closing your window, we have never found that to be a problem. Enjoy your IV for what it is intended to provide. Although it is not intended to replace the typical balcony cabin, it provides a different experience to those cruisers who spend lots of time on their balcony.     

• Like 2

We liked our IV Aqua cabin on the Beautiful Ascent. One plus, IMHO, you have more protection from bad weather. When it rain for an example you still can enjoy your IV cabin.

7 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

perfect for those who like the idea of a balcony but don't actually use it.

useless for:

anyone who uses a balcony a lot ( in our case 3 to 4 hours on every sea day) and needs comfortable chairs ( high backs/recline) in which to relax.

uses the balcony for meals as the table is far too small

Opening the window turns off the aircon.

• Like 2

We had an infinite balcony room on Ascent and it was the worst part of the room. Our pros and cons:

PRO

• There's a bit more space

CONS:

• You lose the use of the balcony as a second room. With a regular balcony, one can sit outside while the other sleeps, watches TV, reads, whatever. Even if one sits out with the door closed, once the window is open the AC goes off.
  • Captain locks off the window from time to time for weather reasons and I would like the choice to go out on the balcony to see how conditions are
  • It's not at all a balcony experience. It's like sitting beside an open window. You don't get the outdoor experience.
  • The shade wasn't as room darkening as the old blackout curtains

We would downgrade to a OV before booking another infinite balcony. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Water_Baby_ said:

We had an infinite balcony room on Ascent and it was the worst part of the room. Our pros and cons:

PRO

• There's a bit more space

CONS:

• You lose the use of the balcony as a second room. With a regular balcony, one can sit outside while the other sleeps, watches TV, reads, whatever. Even if one sits out with the door closed, once the window is open the AC goes off.
  • Captain locks off the window from time to time for weather reasons and I would like the choice to go out on the balcony to see how conditions are
  • It's not at all a balcony experience. It's like sitting beside an open window. You don't get the outdoor experience.
  • The shade wasn't as room darkening as the old blackout curtains

We would downgrade to a OV before booking another infinite balcony. 

Simply put either you agree with Water and won't sail with an IV or you like the open feeling and don't care about having a real balcony. 

We like and use a real balcony

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cruise47 said:

We liked our IV Aqua cabin on the Beautiful Ascent. One plus, IMHO, you have more protection from bad weather. When it rain for an example you still can enjoy your IV cabin.

I still enjoy my Aqua cabin on M-class and S-class ships when it rains. Just as much protection with the balcony doors, so I don't think that is an advantage.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

The con is that they are just an open/close window and not a balcony.  You are not outside ...

Zero interest in them when they are charging balcony prices for the downgrade.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Since no one has mentioned the obvious.  There is no AC on when the window is open.  With no balcony it is not possible for one person to be outside in the elements and another person to be inside in the AC.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

For the OP, if my opinion/definition of an IV cabin translates as a delusional misconception and total unawareness of exactly what category cabin I am in, then by all means you should hold firm to the edict from those whose salient words truly provide cognitive pronouncement. I hold firm to my comments, seeking only to share my experiences as I feel best describes them. Enjoy your cruise. Enjoy your IV cabin. Take comfort in the fact that there are many more options out there (as you know), so there is always a choice.