Grand Turk

Rpb929

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  There is beach, Margaritaville with a lovely free form pool.  Shopping area.  You can check it out here on th Ports of Call board for Caribbean islands.  EM

• Like 1

We enjoy going around the island watching the natives.

20230210_103501.thumb.jpg.6a84965e34cbde3514594b1cdee54be5.jpg

It's mostly about the beaches and the food. Going up to the lighthouse for the great view is worth doing if you have good weather. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hi @Rpb929! Check out the link in my signature to my review to my January 2024 cruise. Go to page 14 for our day on Grand Turk at Jack’s Shack! 👍😁

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Like 2

Everyone has great suggestions.  Our first few times there we did the ATV tour and horseback ride into the water  and Jack's Shack - all good.  Now we just hang out at the Margaritaville pool and watch the people on the flow-rider.  

• Like 1

I would recommend what thesmiths' said. Get away from Margaritaville. It's just a chain restaurant with a pool, nothing special. Rent a golf cart and explore the whole island. Ride up to the lighthouse and check it out. Spend some time at Governor's Beach and grab a good lunch at The Sand Bar. Check out the defunct Her Majesty's Prison, and explore Cockburn Town. Grand Turk is very laid back. If you don't want to ride around and check out the island and beaches, at least walk up to Jack's Shack where most cruisers go. While it's very crowded and overrated imho, at least the beach area at Jack's is very nice unlike by the port. Just do yourself a favor and get far away from Margaritaville. 

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The golf cart sounds like a great idea. I would like to see more that just a restaurant, so this may be what we go with. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

lf you really want to experience the native food, avoid Jack's and Margaritaville and eat at the Island Jerk, Bar and Restaurant.  It's nothing but a yellow shack on the beach between Margaritaville and Jack's.  You'll find a lot of the crew from the ship there.

Edited by FredZiffle
  • Like 1

All great suggestions. 

However, Jacks is no longer Jacks for us old folks. Topher has now passed and Jack sold to his partner and returned to Canada to watch his grandchild graduate.

I visited with new owner on the last trip and we talked about the old days. The improvements are all great, but it is far from the “Shack” it once was.

You can’t go wrong on a visit there and we will make it a point to stop in and say hello on each trip to GT.

GT is one of my favorite ports.

Plenty of time between now and then to get yourself SCUBA-certified. Hands-down some of my favorite dives "from a cruise ship" were in Grand Turk. 

Governor's Beach had great snorkeling you can get to right off the beach, if you have your own snorkeling equipment it makes for a budget friendly and chill day, plus way less crowded than the beach right at the port and Margaritaville. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, nydney1 said:

All great suggestions. 

However, Jacks is no longer Jacks for us old folks. Topher has now passed and Jack sold to his partner and returned to Canada to watch his grandchild graduate.

I visited with new owner on the last trip and we talked about the old days. The improvements are all great, but it is far from the “Shack” it once was.

You can’t go wrong on a visit there and we will make it a point to stop in and say hello on each trip to GT.

GT is one of my favorite ports.

That's kinda sad, it was always our destination at Grand Turk, we loved the experience and visiting with Jack, Janet and of course watching Topher play with the folks.

Edited by MEUB1112
Grammar

1 hour ago, MEUB1112 said:

That's kinda sad, it was always our destination at Grand Turk, we loved the experience and visiting with Jack, Janet and of course watching Topher play with the folks.

We had a great time this past January. Just get there early👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Just get there early👍

One of the only times during the year I'm hammered by noon!🤣

Unless of course we go there 2x per year!

• Haha 2

Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a good day. I am so excited for them that Jack’s is a staple of Grand Turk. 

I just remember the days when there were 10-15 people there. Our first trip our kids were playing with Jacks grandkid, our kids were 5 or 6 and are now graduating high school.

2 hours ago, nydney1 said:

Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a good day. I am so excited for them that Jack’s is a staple of Grand Turk. 

I just remember the days when there were 10-15 people there. Our first trip our kids were playing with Jacks grandkid, our kids were 5 or 6 and are now graduating high school.

My girls, 8 and 10 at the time, would play with Topher. It is a different vibe now, and my girls are 21 and 23. They’d still play with Topher, if he was there😍🌈