Post cruise erroneous credit card charges

Posted (edited)

Returned from cruise on Arvia on 28th April and my final bill received on last day was correct. This was charged correctly to my credit card. Suddenly on 4th May a £60 amount has been charged to my account and no idea what for.

Edited by majortom10

4 hours ago, molecrochip said:

This doesn’t sound like a hold. Suggest you call P&O and ask them to check. They will contact the ship for the receipt and then come back to you.

Have already done that and waited nearly an hour for an answer. Hung up rang the same number but pushed the option to book a new cruise and was answered in 1 minute 34 seconds. There is a surprise. Was lucky enough to be speaking to somebody who had an awful attitude, very rude and wasn't interested and said it was my credit card company fault and nothing to do with P&O. Then she politely said (NOT) there is nothing more I can say with regards to this matter and hung up. Awful customer service and P&O are very near to the bottom of the barrel in how they treat their customers. Certainly think they should look at attitude of some of the staff they are employing. But no doubt if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

4 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Have already done that and waited nearly an hour for an answer. Hung up rang the same number but pushed the option to book a new cruise and was answered in 1 minute 34 seconds. There is a surprise. Was lucky enough to be speaking to somebody who had an awful attitude, very rude and wasn't interested and said it was my credit card company fault and nothing to do with P&O. Then she politely said (NOT) there is nothing more I can say with regards to this matter and hung up. Awful customer service and P&O are very near to the bottom of the barrel in how they treat their customers. Certainly think they should look at attitude of some of the staff they are employing. But no doubt if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

Report it to your credit card company @majortom10 that you do not recognise the charge.

• Like 4

Email them . Maybe I've  just been lucky but the staff dealing with emails seem to be pretty good. I got 2 with a can do attitude and my problem was sorted in 48 hours.

If not resolved then you have 90 days to initiate a charge back with your credit card company on the grounds of an unrecognised transaction. Doing so will incur a fee for P and O too. It would be easier for them just to sort it out.

On 5/6/2024 at 11:26 AM, majortom10 said:

Returned from cruise on Arvia on 28th April and my final bill received on last day was correct. This was charged correctly to my credit card. Suddenly on 4th May a £60 amount has been charged to my account and no idea what for.

did you make any purchases on disembarkation day? P&O would charge it separately as it is after the final bill has been created I believe. 

5 hours ago, lambinator1982 said:

did you make any purchases on disembarkation day? P&O would charge it separately as it is after the final bill has been created I believe. 

No nothing at all definitely not a purchase on my part.

Have you had this resolved. We have disembarked ventura today and the same has happened. Final bill correct but credit card has a random £55 transaction pending that we didn't spend.

Posted (edited)

We arrived back from Arcadia last weekend and discovered Tuesday extra charges. After waiting 45 mins on phone spoke to a very helpful agent who said they were holding charges by the bank and they would disappear within a week. They dropped off yday. 

Edited by Mymarina Bay

No problem. She said if they remained after a week to contact again. Also she took our booking reference and said the best time to phone (in case they didn't drop off) was in the evening before 8 pm.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

That doesn't normally happen with a credit card, only a debit card.

When I contacted P&O was told it can happen on credit card and debit card. The charges appeared on my credit card I have never used a debit card on a cruise

1 hour ago, Harryjacobs said:

I had this pending payment on my credit card.  It dropped after about 2 weeks

One of the early bits of buff we received on our current cruise informed us that a pending charge would be made.  So I checked yesterday, and there are no pending charges on my card, so make of that what you will.

My understanding is that a hold for a certain amount is placed on the card when you register it with the ship.

No money is collected from you, it simply reduces the amount of credit available to you.

At the end of the cruise, the actual amount owing is collected by the ship from the card and any hold is released.

It can take a few days for the card company to update (same as a credit back onto your card from a retailer always seems to take longer than a debit to be actioned).

An actual charge appearing, or a pending transaction suddenly appearing, several days after leaving the ship points more to an error from the cruise line.

Maybe somebody has accidentally re-activated the original holds.
I'd notify the card company in the first instance.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nosapphire said:

My understanding is that a hold for a certain amount is placed on the card when you register it with the ship.

It's for £1 and is done to ensure the card is active.  I believe all Carnival lines authorise the lowest amount they can, Cunard just took $1 when I checked in last week and i had to complete two step authorisation, however I noticed today it has now dropped off my bank account.