New to MSC - few questions

Harriet75C

Hi

I have cruised with Princess, P&O, Carnival and RCCL but never with MSC.

We are looking at potentially booking a cruise for Aug 25 on the MSC Seascape out of Miami, but i have a few questions.

Are the drinks packages and dining packages worth it?

Is there a piano bar?

The kids will be 11 and 13 - does anyone have experience of the kids club on MSC and could give me an idea of the kinds of activities they do in kids club for those ages?

Any tips for a first time MSC cruise?

Thanks for any info!

I would suggest at least considering the YC.  As you probably know you would have your own pool, restaurant, and lounge (nightly entertainment). Premium drinks would be included and you would have stocked frig.

Maybe an inside for kids and balcony for you across the hall?

Sorry, maybe not an answer to your questions but just a suggestion. 

If i booked interior and balcony online (I've just found a combo directly across from each other) I'd have to put an adult and a child in each cabin.  Can we adjust when we get on the ship so the kids are in the interior?

45 minutes ago, Harriet75C said:

If i booked interior and balcony online (I've just found a combo directly across from each other) I'd have to put an adult and a child in each cabin.  Can we adjust when we get on the ship so the kids are in the interior?

It should not be a problem. Let the room steward know what your plan is after you board. The key cards won’t match but that shouldn’t be a problem.

Sure you would be fine. I would likely opt for this arrangement even vs. connecting room /balcony. To me a max bang for the buck family cruise vacation. Your kids are probably perfect age for this... old enough to have some 'controlled' autonomy.  If you want to make yourself feel good about vacation cost look at corresponding options on X or NCL for their dedicated suite areas.

• Like 1

MSC has the best priced drink packages in the industry. The sales usually include drinks and Wi-Fi. The dining packages are great value if you plan on eating at the specialty restaurants. With a caveat, Hola tacos is all you can eat for $18 per person. Don’t use a dining package night there. Just go on your own.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harriet75C said:

The rub is that MSC does not give out duplicate/extra key cards so you can switch people around.  The workaround on this ship is to get bracelets ($10 each) and the people switching can trade bracelets in order to open the cabin doors.  EM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

No charge for bracelets in YC. 

They might not automatically give a bracelet to the 11 year-old. On my most recent cruise, MSC didn't give one to my youngest (10yo) which has never happened before. I just asked the concierge for one and he programmed one and gave it to her at no charge.

For the OP, if not staying in the Yacht Club, the plan of buying bracelets and switching for stateroom access will work. However, if the child makes purchases with the parent's bracelet....😲

1 minute ago, Two Wheels Only said:

They might not automatically give a bracelet to the 11 year-old. On my most recent cruise, MSC didn't give one to my youngest (10yo) which has never happened before. I just asked the concierge for one and he programmed one and gave it to her at no charge.....

I wouldn’t be familiar with how kids are treated so that’s interesting (and helpful if the OP decides to book YC). 👍

4 hours ago, Harriet75C said:

I found the drinks package worth it.  We had the Easy Plus drink package which included wifi and also included specialty coffees (coffee machines at the atrium bar and some other bars but not the coffee at Venchi) which was great.  Make sure you add the drink package on at the time of booking--it is more expensive it you try to add it later.

Harriet, I would highly recommend studying the four different "experiences" offered when booking MSC, as each provides different pros/cons.  For example, we would not be happy with anytime dining, so we do not book Aurea, but book Bella as that gives us traditional dining. We do not want room service, so do not need Fantastica.

Secondly, if you have a good loyalty status with one of the lines you've sailed, consider doing a status match, which could give you some nice benefits.

We found MSC different from our other lines, but in a good way!  I hope you will find the same.

Posted (edited)

Answers in bold italics below:

A. I think it's great to try different cruise lines, as there are sometimes major differences.

We are looking at potentially booking a cruise for Aug 25 on the MSC Seascape out of Miami, but i have a few questions.

A. Generally, yes.  In my view, MSC tends to offer the best pricing on both drinks packages and dining packages.  The best deals are when you can get drinks and wi-fi baked into the price.  Also, if they offer a dining package promo, *at the time of booking*, that's usually a better offer than what you may see later.

Is there a piano bar?

A. Different ships have different venues.  I can often find someone playing a piano, but not always.  It's not uncommon though.  On some ships, we can often find a pianist, perhaps with vocals or guitar, in the Sky Lounge.  We were recently on World Europa, and there was no Sky Lounge, which I deeply missed, but we did find a pianist in the Raj Polo Teahouse.

The kids will be 11 and 13 - does anyone have experience of the kids club on MSC and could give me an idea of the kinds of activities they do in kids club for those ages?

A. No experience, but we've wandered through the areas designed for kids and they seem to have good offerings.  Not sure about 11 and 13 year-olds though, as they are a bit older.

A. Try not to call customer service, unless you have to.  They have good intentions, but often screw things up due to MSC's screwy system.  Also, you may have more announcements in many languages, so be aware of that.  Be aware that MSC has an excellent status match program, so explore this if you have status on other cruise lines or hotel chains.

Thanks for any info!

A. Enjoy, and report back once you've returned.  Keep an open mind, as MSC can be a bit different in some ways.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the tips everyone!  We have requested a status match for our RCCL status as it’s the highest of the lines we’ve cruised with before.  We’re going to wait and see what they come back with and then potentially book the YC interior and bslcony opposite.  

always good to try new lines!  We like the look of the restaurants and fingers crossed it works out and we get to experience a great ship.

I would definitely recommend the price that includes the Easy Plus drink package and Browse wifi. It is a great deal and most drinks will be covered unless you are a big wine drinker or want some more expensive scotch/whiskeys. The dining packages aren't as good a deal anymore because you have to use them in specific restaurants, you don't just get credits to use in any restaurant you want.

5 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

The rub is that MSC does not give out duplicate/extra key cards so you can switch people around.  The workaround on this ship is to get bracelets ($10 each) and the people switching can trade bracelets in order to open the cabin doors.  EM

If you are YC, you get the bracelets free.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Answers in bold italics below:

A. I think it's great to try different cruise lines, as there are sometimes major differences.

A. Generally, yes.  In my view, MSC tends to offer the best pricing on both drinks packages and dining packages.  The best deals are when you can get drinks and wi-fi baked into the price.  Also, if they offer a dining package promo, *at the time of booking*, that's usually a better offer than what you may see later.

Is there a piano bar?

A. Different ships have different venues.  I can often find someone playing a piano, but not always.  It's not uncommon though.  On some ships, we can often find a pianist, perhaps with vocals or guitar, in the Sky Lounge.  We were recently on World Europa, and there was no Sky Lounge, which I deeply missed, but we did find a pianist in the Raj Polo Teahouse.

A. No experience, but we've wandered through the areas designed for kids and they seem to have good offerings.  Not sure about 11 and 13 year-olds though, as they are a bit older.

A. Try not to call customer service, unless you have to.  They have good intentions, but often screw things up due to MSC's screwy system.  Also, you may have more announcements in many languages, so be aware of that.  Be aware that MSC has an excellent status match program, so explore this if you have status on other cruise lines or hotel chains.

Thanks for any info!

A. Enjoy, and report back once you've returned.  Keep an open mind, as MSC can be a bit different in some ways.

I totally agree about MSC Customer Service, use a Travel Agent for less headaches. 

Edited by The Dad
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Harriet75C said:

Is there a piano bar?

YC (Yacht Club) has a piano in their YC-exclusive lounge (known as the Top Sail Lounge, TSL). There is live music every evening and many times it includes piano. We find it very nice. A warning though -- some have called it too "sleepy." The alcohol flows freely in YC so we've never considered it so.

8 hours ago, Harriet75C said:

Is there a piano bar?

On Seascape there’s dual piano players in the Times Square lounge. (Nothing like ‘Duelling Pianos’ on NCL! ) 

20 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

On Seascape there’s dual piano players in the Times Square lounge. (Nothing like ‘Duelling Pianos’ on NCL! ) 

And nothing like the piano bars on Carnival.  

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

And nothing like the piano bars on Carnival.  

My first ever cruise was on Carnival (2000).  (Thought I’d never cruise again!  Forward to 2011, MSC, cruise bug bit).  I don’t recollect piano bar entertainment. My abiding memory was a Beatles tribute in one of the lounges;  absolutely loved it, but it was sooo short.

Same on NCL (in “The Cave” - you really had to get there way before the show to get a seat - way too small a venue for such a popular event ).  Why can’t cruise lines see that a Beatles tribute is still a huge draw??   I know that MSC does a ‘tribute’ in the theatre, but a whole night in one of the lounges would be a real treat.

Having said that, I wish that entertainers onboard wouldn’t make their own arrangements when doing Beatles ‘tributes’ (thinking of our experience on Seashore in the Med). 

Edited by Beamafar

13 hours ago, Harriet75C said:

Hi

Is there a piano bar?

Thanks for any info!

Here's a link to my recent live post from the Seascape to give you a peak at the ship. Somewhere around post #85 is some info and pictures of the kids club.