Can I get my Free Checked Bag on United if I book using EzAir.

I am planning to book my flights, on United, with EzAir, using my United Explorer Card.  That card provides 1 free checked bag with each reservation but will that work with a booking through EzAir.  Has anyone had experience in doing this?

Posted (edited)

I have wondered the same thing. We are ticketed via EZ Air, and I upgraded at the American Airlines website to economy plus (main extra?), using my American Airlines Credit Card for our outbound flights from California to Fort Lauderdale. I hope to avoid the baggage fees but may not know for sure until we are at the airport.

On our return flight we are booked on a United codeshare flight, (actually on an Air Canada plane) for the first leg of our journey. We upgraded the seats using my United credit card. Will we be covered? Perhaps Air Canada will charge us anyway. No one seemed to know when I called both airlines.

I am curious if anyone has had this experience?

Edited by Teechur
Added a line.

Don’t know about United. But I hold American and Delta cards and they’ve always been recognized for both baggage and boarding.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't think so because United will be paid by a "consolidator" so they won't know what credit card was initially used.  I'm not sure if they would waive it when you go to check in and use your credit card for the charges. If you have a Premier status that includes free baggage you won't be charged.

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Old Coastie said:

I am planning to book my flights, on United, with EzAir, using my United Explorer Card.  That card provides 1 free checked bag with each reservation but will that work with a booking through EzAir.  Has anyone had experience in doing this?

I have to change my answer, to it depends….

We’ve done it many times.  But, using miles and doing seat upgrades.  

Check their App after you book with EZ Air and look up your flight, get your seat assignments, make sure your Mileage plus number is in the record and you’ll see the baggage rules too. 

I used my mileage plus card to pay and also upgraded the seats, so that might be why my 1st bag was free.

Also, I used miles on the last TA flights and used my Mplus card.

Sorry if this was confusing.  

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 1

My cruise including EZ Air was paid for with my Costco Visa Card. Only the airline upgrades were purchased with Airline credit cards. An additional wrinkle is that one flight will be on Air Canada with a United codeshare.

Has anyone had this experience? 

Here's a link to the Chase/United rules: https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/travel/baggage/free-bags-for-cardmembers.html#:~:text=You must be a Cardmember,for the free bag benefit.

Under the Terms and Conditions, it states "Unpublished fares, such as those purchased on priceline.com and Hotwire, are not eligible for the free bag benefit." I'm thinking EZAir flights would be treated the same way.

• Like 1

When you check in for your flight at the airport you may be told that you have to pay baggage fees.  Just show them your United Explorer card and the agent should waive your baggage fee.  It's worked that way for me in the recent past.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The United bagage fees are currently $30 in advance and $35 or $40 if waiting until airport checkin.  I can't find anything on the United web site that tells me if I would get a refund if I first checked in advance, online with the United credit card.  I also see the statement that the airline tickets must be purchased with the United credit card to qualify for a fee checked bag.  If I wait to check the bag at the airport I will be subjected to the higher fee if United refuses to give me the free checket bag feature.  

13 minutes ago, Old Coastie said:

The United bagage fees are currently $30 in advance and $35 or $40 if waiting until airport checkin.  I can't find anything on the United web site that tells me if I would get a refund if I first checked in advance, online with the United credit card.  I also see the statement that the airline tickets must be purchased with the United credit card to qualify for a fee checked bag.  If I wait to check the bag at the airport I will be subjected to the higher fee if United refuses to give me the free checket bag feature.  

On the American Airlines website, it states that if you prepay the baggage fee, there is no refund even if you later upgrade to a higher priced cabin that includes free bags.

United may be the same. I would take a chance and wait until at the airport. You are only risking $5.00.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Old Coastie said:

The answer is no. You have to book direct with United and you have to pay using the Explorer Card. It has happened to me. Even though I paid Princess EZ Air with the Explorer Card it was not enough when I checked in. United only sees that they received payment from the consolidator, EZ Air. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have always gotten free bags on United flights booked with EZ-Air but that may be because of his loyalty level and not the United credit card that we also have.  We've also gotten seat upgrades on EZ-Air booked flights obviously because of his loyalty level.

9 hours ago, Teechur said:

On our return flight we are booked on a United codeshare flight, (actually on an Air Canada plane) for the first leg of our journey. We upgraded the seats using my United credit card. Will we be covered? Perhaps Air Canada will charge us anyway. No one seemed to know when I called both airlines.

I am curious if anyone has had this experience?

I am 99% certain that your checked baggage benefit with UA does not carry over to flights operated by partner airlines.  

Posted (edited)

T

1 hour ago, frugaltravel said:

I am 99% certain that your checked baggage benefit with UA does not carry over to flights operated by partner airlines.  

The Air Canada baggage fee is U.S. $22.00. If we pay that, what happens when our luggage is moved to the second leg on a United-owned plane? Do we pay again? 🤪

We paid extra for exit row seats. It appears that our first bag is included. I guess we won't know until we check in at the Montreal Airport.

I will try to remember to come back and post what happens in each case, after the cruise. 😀

Edited by Teechur
Added a line.

On international flights, booking a “basic” fare on United will not allow you to choose your seat regardless of status. You’ll need to wait the 24 hours up to flight time to get your seat assignments. 

5 hours ago, crawford said:

On international flights, booking a “basic” fare on United will not allow you to choose your seat regardless of status. You’ll need to wait the 24 hours up to flight time to get your seat assignments. 

I already have seat assignments on all of my flights, currently 45 days prior to departure. I went to United/Air Canada websites and purchased upgraded seats directly.

I have always booked full-fare coach or above. Never basic economy, and EZ Air doesn't book basic economy. 

1 hour ago, STLCARDS82 said:

So much easier to just book direct with the airlines for US domestic flights!!

My experience has been that booking non-refundable fares directly with the airlines is either comparable or slightly cheaper than using EZ Air domestically.

Booking refundable fares directly with the airlines cost more than EZ Air, whose tickets are refundable until (I believe) the last 45 days. You also receive the Princess guarantee of getting you to the ship when flights are late. 

41 minutes ago, Teechur said:

My experience has been that booking non-refundable fares directly with the airlines is either comparable or slightly cheaper than using EZ Air domestically.

Booking refundable fares directly with the airlines cost more than EZ Air, whose tickets are refundable until (I believe) the last 45 days. You also receive the Princess guarantee of getting you to the ship when flights are late. 

Which is perfect until things go wrong... in my experience 

Posted (edited)

I book United on EZAIR all the time & I've never had a problem getting free bag checked or selecting my seat once I enter my mileage # on the Princess website. 

Also prefer UAL bc the upgrade from economy to economy plus is more reasonable 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I book United on EZAIR all the time & I've never had a problem getting free bag checked or selecting my seat once I enter my mileage # on the Princess website. 

Surprisingly, upgrading from United Economy to Economy Plus doesn't include a free bag. I'm counting on my United Credit Card for that. 

In June, I will fly from Maui to Las Vegas; LV to California; California to Florida; Montreal to Denver; and Denver to Maui. I would hate to have to pay a bag fee on every flight.

I think I will only have to pay it on the first flight (Hawaiian) because I don't have their credit card.

18 minutes ago, Teechur said:
33 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Surprisingly, upgrading from United Economy to Economy Plus doesn't include a free bag. I'm counting on my United Credit Card for that. 

In June, I will fly from Maui to Las Vegas; LV to California; California to Florida; Montreal to Denver; and Denver to Maui. I would hate to have to pay a bag fee on every flight.

I think I will only have to pay it on the first flight (Hawaiian) because I don't have their credit card.

Wonder why I don't pay? (Actually my 17" works fine for anything under 10 days. Over that I really do prefer my 22")

1 minute ago, Ombud said:

Wonder why I don't pay? (Actually my 17" works fine for anything under 10 days. Over that I really do prefer my 22")

Do you have a United credit card or high status with United? If I am asked to pay, I'm hoping to do so with miles. I'm just not sure about the codeshare flight on Air Canada.

Just now, Teechur said:
5 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Do you have a United credit card or high status with United? If I am asked to pay, I'm hoping to do so with miles. I'm just not sure about the codeshare flight on Air Canada

No just a USAA card .... maybe status?? 

Are all those flights for just 1 trip?? 

Maui -> LV -> CA -> Florida

Montreal ->Denver -> Maui?