Is there a charge for room service

1 minute ago, mimi217 said:

Has it changed for room service for continental breakfast. Is there now a charge?

Hello @mimi217

Which cruise line?

Looking forward to your reply,

Host Kat

• Like 2

Yes, please indicate the ship or cruise line.

We sail Viking Ocean and there is never a charge for room service.  

I get coffee delivered every morning as a standing order at 5am.

9 hours ago, mimi217 said:

Has it changed for room service for continental breakfast. Is there now a charge?

It depends on the line. Generally, mass market lines charge for room service while premium lines do not.

Posted (edited)

To add, what is charged and what is complimentary, as well as what times during the day a charge is applied also can vary by cruise line. With some mass market lines, typically continental breakfast and other similar items may be at n/c, but other menu items will carry a charge.  And past 11:00 PM a service charge may be applied. 

Again, as it depends on cruise line it will be helpful to identify which cruise line to which you are referring.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

30 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

To add, what is charged and what is complimentary, as well as what times during the day a charge is applied also can vary by cruise line. With some mass market lines, typically continental breakfast and other similar items may be at n/c, but other menu items will carry a charge.  And past 11:00 PM a service charge may be applied. 

Again, as it depends on cruise line it will be helpful to identify which cruise line to which you are referring.

Yes, "it varies" are definitely the appropriate code words here!

In addition to all of the "variables" already mentioned (cruise line, time of day, etc.), the "class of service/cabin-or-suite category" also makes a difference on some ships/cruiselines.

Despite some general understandings such as "the class system on the Titanic no longer exists"... well, it probably doesn't exist in the *same* way.

But there are definitely, er, "categories" for passengers, usually based upon type of accommodation (and usually related to cost of cruise).  Thinking now of only "room service", on some ships, those staying in suites, for example, may have no charge for room service, or may have that available for a wider selection of items or times, while those not in suites may be more limited.

Making this even more, er, interesting, there are sometimes other "categories" that are based upon, say, number of cruises or cruise-nights, each with differing privileges/perks.

On the luxury lines, there may be no such differences in "service", but perhaps only in the size/etc., of the cabins/suites.

But knowing which cruise line would be a huge help in understanding various services and any related charges.

GC

14 hours ago, Host Kat said:

Hello @mimi217

Which cruise line?

Looking forward to your reply,

Host Kat

Looking at NCL The Breakaway.  TIA

22 minutes ago, mimi217 said:

Thank you @mimi217 for the reply! And also thank you for your new topic on the Ask a Cruise Question forum! However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. Your inquiry concerns a specific cruise line and is off topic there.

To help you out, your new topic has been moved to the Norwegian Cruise Line forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed NCL frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are both great resources for new as well as experienced cruisers, and we are so glad you are posting again! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list for the various message board forums. I suggest you Bookmark the page or put it in your Favorites for quick and easy access in the future. Please read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

I also suggest you use the Follow feature on any new threads you start or any other threads or forums where you are interested in the new replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications. If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info)

sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mimi217 said:

All breakfast room service comes with a $4.95+20% tip charge = $5.94

image.thumb.png.28b32ca5e1aaee427685c32f74c319e2.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3

On 5/10/2024 at 9:09 PM, BirdTravels said:

All breakfast room service comes with a $4.95+20% tip charge = $5.94

Just to double-check, this is per cabin, not per person?

P.S. Do you also give an additional tip to the person bringing you breakfast, like slipping him a fiver for his effort?

2 hours ago, astera said:

Just to double-check, this is per cabin, not per person?

P.S. Do you also give an additional tip to the person bringing you breakfast, like slipping him a fiver for his effort?

Per order. I do not give a tip when the order arrives. I do get rooms in a category with a butler, so I do tip the butler at the end of the trip as they're not covered in the onboard service charge pool. If it's someone else delivering the food, I don't tip. They're included in the onboard service charge (or so NCL leads me to believe that).

Edited by cruiseny4life

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Per order. I do not give a tip when the order arrives. I do get rooms in a category with a butler, so I do tip the butler at the end of the trip as they're not covered in the onboard service charge pool. If it's someone else delivering the food, I don't tip. They're included in the onboard service charge (or so NCL leads me to believe that).

Thanks. Not a bad deal as you could essentially chalk it down to a $6 delivery charge per breakfast. I would still be tempted to give a small tip to the delivery guy...

The onboard service charge covers the general service you get but I still like to keep some things personal, plus handing out fivers will not affect me financially but will be appreciated by the staff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, astera said:

Thanks. Not a bad deal as you could essentially chalk it down to a $6 delivery charge per breakfast. I would still be tempted to give a small tip to the delivery guy...

The onboard service charge covers the general service you get but I still like to keep some things personal, plus handing out fivers will not affect me financially but will be appreciated by the staff.

Between the onboard service charge, plus the automatic 20% gratuity on the delivery charge, I kinda feel like no tip is needed. That said, I still usually give the delivery person a buck or 2.

13 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

Is there room service offered all day? How late at night? Is there a charge for food other than breakfast? 

From the NCL FAQ section:

Is Norwegian Cruise Line now charging for room service?

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $9.95 USD will be added to each order placed. There is a $4.95 Room Service Breakfast fee is fleetwide for all breakfast room service orders Orders placed by guests sailing in the Haven & Suites staterooms are not subject to the service fee*. A 20% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added for non-complimentary beverages and special occasion items.

*Prices subject to change.

• Like 1