Where can we find the exact size of a specific cabin

Posted (edited)

I have always used the Princess website to be able to see what the EXACT size in sq ft of my cabin is.  I have recently noticed that Princess has discontinued providing EXACT size in sq ft information and only provides a generic AVERAGE size in sq ft which is of no help.  This change happened I think in 2023 sometime.  My question: Is there a way to find the EXACT size in sq ft of a specific cabin any more?  Is there another website that still maintains this information?  I highly doubt contacting Princess would do any good, I imagine their newby people will just see/look for what is on the website. I would still like to be able to compare cabin sizes. See screenshots showing the difference. ADDING: The Princess website deck plans has also been changed in the same way.  It also shows only generic AVERAGE size.  

size 1.jpg

size 2.jpg

Edited by hpeabody
added to post

15 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

Is there a way to find the EXACT size in sq ft of a specific cabin any more?

Try cruisedeckplans.  That site still uses exact figures, though I do not know if they are accurate given that it is a third party site.  But my guess is that the information contained on that site was taken directly from the Princess published material, and when Princess changed to "average sizes", this website did not.

50 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Try cruisedeckplans.  That site still uses exact figures, though I do not know if they are accurate given that it is a third party site.  But my guess is that the information contained on that site was taken directly from the Princess published material, and when Princess changed to "average sizes", this website did not.

Thank you.  I just looked at cruisedeckplans and seems to be generic also, just cabin and balcony broken down.  So, not a good alternative, but I do like the website and will bookmark it for future use.  I am not sure what the benefit is of withholding the EXACT information us is, though?????? 

7 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

Thank you.  I just looked at cruisedeckplans and seems to be generic also, just cabin and balcony broken down.  So, not a good alternative, but I do like the website and will bookmark it for future use.  I am not sure what the benefit is of withholding the EXACT information us is, though?????? 

just curious about EXACT ... nevermind

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

seems to be generic also

I'm not sure what you mean by "generic".  Every single balcony cabin on Aloha Deck is going to be the exact same size except for very, very few one-offs.  So if you look at 27 different cabins and see that every one of those cabins is listed as being 179 sq. ft., it's not because the site is giving you generic information, but rather because those 27 cabins are actually the same size.  Unless I missed it, that site does not use the dreaded word: "average".   

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "generic".  Every single balcony cabin on Aloha Deck is going to be the exact same size except for very, very few one-offs.  So if you look at 27 different cabins and see that every one of those cabins is listed as being 179 sq. ft., it's not because the site is giving you generic information, but rather because those 27 cabins are actually the same size.  Unless I missed it, that site does not use the dreaded word: "average".   

No, cruisedeckplans cruisedeckplans does not use "average"  But I can look up a typical cabin in a category and one that has a large balcony on the same deck and the information provided is identical.  That is what I call generic = average.  I want to know the EXACT size  Thanks for helping.

1 minute ago, Wishing on a star said:

What ship and what category???

Sometimes there are some cabins that vary...  but most the time not.

Assuming that you are not looking at accessible cabins, which are often slightly different sizes/layouts.

The issue I am bringing up is a complete change Princess has made all ships, both a specific voyage as well as their deck plans area.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

But I can look up a typical cabin in a category and one that has a large balcony on the same deck and the information provided is identical.

if the balcony is larger, it will appear so on the deck map:

image.thumb.png.ebd8a9266f5e6900a74d891d9fac944d.png

The standard cabins are build from the same mold, with very few exceptions.  The exceptions for different cabin sizes are those inside ones that are laid out sideways or if the cabin is accessible.  The balcony size might also differ and made be included in the overall cabin sizes listed.  It is easy to determine which ones those are by the deck plans, though. 

• Like 1

What ship are we speaking about? Within every class of ship the interior size and design of all balcony cat. cabins will be the same as are all mini suites. Full suite sizes vary.  It will be the balcony size that can be different for some cabins. If you are trying to determine which balcony cat. cabin has the largest interior size, don't bother.

Example A 709 on the Ruby Princess is 45 sq ft balcony + 226 sq ft interior = 271 sq. ft. The total sq ft may not be this exact number, but it's with 5 or so sq ft.  

I'm frustrated with this as well.  We're booked on the new Star, which is the same as the Sun, and forward balconies in particular appear much larger on the deck plan.  But the average square footage and layout schematic are the same as the regular balconies.  For example, in the deck plan below, 14101 - 14104 list the exact same sf and drawing as 14208 etc. But they sure look bigger to me!

image.png.66075f64899893ec22070eaee4e21cc2.png

@pompeii   YES, this is my issue.  I want to know the size of each in order to compare. 14101 sure looks larger than 14104 to me and I am sure that is true.   By them only providing "average" sizes is of no use when shopping for a cruise.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

@pompeii   YES, this is my issue.  I want to know the size of each in order to compare. 14101 sure looks larger than 14104 to me and I am sure that is true.   By them only providing "average" sizes is of no use when shopping for a cruise.

14101 vs 10104 is one thing but they also list them as the same size as the much smaller ones in purple below them.  It’s ridiculous that they can’t give accurate info. 

The deck plans are as close as you are gonna get....  They are pretty accurate.

Another thing to remember, with those uneven shaped cabins/suites, then layout could be a factor... the layout for the bigger one could have something about it that is not as nice???

One day there will be more videos out there.

4 minutes ago, pompeii said:

14101 vs 10104 is one thing but they also list them as the same size as the much smaller ones in purple below them.  It’s ridiculous that they can’t give accurate info. 

They used to give the EXACT size of each individual cabin. One of my examp;es in the OP shows what it used to look like.   This is a fairly recent, maybe 2023 sometime, IMO unwanted enhancement made by the "new" Princess

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

They used to give the EXACT size of each individual cabin.

I just went back and checked my saved information from a couple of cruises.  The first time I sailed in a Mini-Suite, it was on Crown Princess.  The literature that I screenshot from that time showed the cabin to be 323 sq. ft. (including the balcony).  This was back in the old days of EXACT measurements.  I just looked at the Deck Plan for Crown Princess a moment ago and the cabin we sailed in is listed as an "average" of 323 sq, ft.   Then I checked the second ship on which we booked a Mini-Suite which was Sapphire, because I know that that cabin was larger.  The literature I saved showed 354 sq. ft. (including the balcony).  The current Deck Plan using the "average" size shows that same cabin as being...wait for it...354 sq. ft.  When we entered the cabin on the first day, we could perceive that that cabin was larger, but not in any meaningful way, or any way that would influence our booking decision whatsoever.  So I would advise to not let the use of the term "average" throw you.  It does not appear as if they have changed anything other than to use a word that is putting you on tilt.  The vast majority of cabins in a particular class are going to be identical, within that class.  Accessible cabins will be bigger, and some one-off, oddly placed cabins (like Family Suites) will have different dimensions.  And the balcony sizes will throw the numbers off, but usually only to the positive.  For example, on the Royal Class ships, the mid-ship angled balcony cabins might show the same "average" square footage as the non-angled balconies, but we know that the angled ones will be bigger.  I don't think you will ever get a cabin that is smaller than what is listed as the average, as they appear to be using the "typical" cabin as the "average" cabin.  In other words, no one has added up the total square footage of all the cabins in a category and then divided by the total number of such cabins to get a "true average".  Read the word "average" to mean "most" or "typical" or "no less than".   

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 2

I use Princess website deck plan for ship I want.  I decide on the area- aft, mid aft, mid, forward, click on any cabin, see the size, go to the cabins around it, click on to get the size, go one deck up or down do the same.  Check the same category, certain cabins might be different sizes.

ie - on the Island, I found PR aft balcony cabins were slightly bigger.   Cabins are the same size but it is balcony size that is the difference.

- I have found on the aft cabins on Ruby, Sky and other ships, the cabins are bigger 250 sq ft vs 222 sq ft for cabins across from the elevator.

- on the new Sun/Star all the balcony cabins are listed at the same size.

17 hours ago, hpeabody said:

They used to give the EXACT size of each individual cabin. One of my examp;es in the OP shows what it used to look like.

They NEVER did. The example in the OP shows the exact same information in both images - 221 sqft. They only updated the terminology so some yutz doesn't try to sue them if the cabin isn's exactly what's listed.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, hpeabody said:

I have recently noticed that Princess has discontinued providing EXACT size in sq ft information and only provides a generic AVERAGE size in sq ft which is of n

I recently booked a cruise on the Regal and used the deck plan on Princess to compare the size of the cabins.  At least for the Regal, if you click on the cabin, it gives you the square footage for that room.  If you just hover over the room, you get the generic/average size.