Apex Question

Thinking of doing a 7 night on Apex in two years.  This would be our first Apex cruise and trying to get a real verandah without getting an expensive suite.  This leaves the Sunset Verandah.

Our last aft cruise was a pre-covid on HAL in a Neptune aft corner.  You could smell the fumes in the stateroom, it was noisy from the engines, and the room vibrated all night.  The room was beautiful, but it scared us from aft rooms.  It was very nice to be able to see both sides of the ship from behind.

How are the Apex aft rooms?

CC'ers love them. My own opinion is they are highly overrated. Like you mentioned, can be noisy, smelly, soot on furniture, incredibly hot and have an inconvenient location. I've done them on S and E class and would not book either again. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Thinking of doing a 7 night on Apex in two years.  This would be our first Apex cruise and trying to get a real verandah without getting an expensive suite.  This leaves the Sunset Verandah.

Our last aft cruise was a pre-covid on HAL in a Neptune aft corner.  You could smell the fumes in the stateroom, it was noisy from the engines, and the room vibrated all night.  The room was beautiful, but it scared us from aft rooms.  It was very nice to be able to see both sides of the ship from behind.

You cannot see both sides of the ship whether you are in a Sunset Suite or Sunset Veranda, but will have a 180 degree view.  I never remember smelling fumes at all, but that might have to do with a variety of things like wind, turning etc.  I only remember slight vibrations when porting due to the engine; soot has never been an issue.  My second choice of a cabin would always be an SV combined with a suite for a b2b.  Love Sunset Suites as my first choice.  I do not cruise the Caribbean, so my experience is from Europe, which I have done many, many times.

Edited by Lastdance

We had a sunset veranda on the Apex in December of 23.  We loved it.  It was a little windy and chilly at times - rare in the Caribbean even in December, but the aft balconies are alway our go to if we can get them.  There are just not that many on E class ships.  

We didn’t hear any particular noise that I recall, nor did we have any soot on our balcony.  It is a long walk, but that doesn’t bother us.

We are trying an IV on the Apex this December and I am going with very low expectations.  The advantage of a real veranda is that someone can be outside reading or just watching the waves, and the AC is still on inside.  

This next cruise on the APEX will likely be our last on the E class ships.  We won’t pay the steep prices for the Retreat and it basically takes up the whole outdoor space in the front of the ship.

There’s also the deluxe porthole veranda cabins which we’re booked on in July for the first time on E class. We chose it after looking at lots of pictures and videos and it seems like a good value choice for us. We don’t sunbathe and are going to Norway so it should meet our needs. 

We are booked in an SV middle on APEX..deck 10.. Although we have enjoyed an SV on EDGE with the the 4 mdrs it was not our first choice.

AQ Class with BLU and  the thermal suite was priced too high,  so we had to go lower..We like the IV..nice and quiet & adds space to the cabin..no wjbd or rain out there.

The SV  EDGE cabin was located at the end of a nice hallway and was large (long and narrow) with a huge balc. The balc did not get much use.. there was little shade, and very  noisy next door neighbors.. ran a  24/7 frat boy type party outside on their balc!

We did enjoy a nice sky and sunset view.  Not much soot and really no vibrations.  We did hear music from EDEN , so happy we will be up on 10 next time .

I traveled in a deck 9 SV on Apex this past December and am booked in the same cabin this coming December.  No odor, no soot, no motion…amazing views of the wake!  I’m sold 😎

We always book SV and are on Edge right now in a center SV on deck 9. While we have had quite a bit of vibration, we’ve also had some nasty weather. It’s a bit chilly in Alaska to use the balcony very much, but have been out there several times… no soot or smell, but the chair seats have def soaked up some dirt… lol… very little shade, so balcony use might be an issue with a hot climate.

Regardless of the drawbacks, we have no interest in an infinite veranda, so just make the best of whatever comes!

We only sail in SV’s on Celebrity most recently on Edge and Apex, but also on M and S class. Absolutely love the wake views and large balconies. I know I wouldn’t be happy in an IV.

I don’t find the walk to the elevator/ stairs a problem at all. It is a long walk to Luminae and the Retreat lounge if you’re in a sky suite SV. 

On Edge we were on deck 8 and couldn’t hear any noise from Eden. A little bit of soot at times, but not an issue. In any event we laid beach towels on the sun lounges before using them. No vibrations of any consequence while at sea. Very little foot traffic so the hallways were quiet. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sleepybluegiraffe said:

There’s also the deluxe porthole veranda cabins which we’re booked on in July for the first time on E class. We chose it after looking at lots of pictures and videos and it seems like a good value choice for us. We don’t sunbathe and are going to Norway so it should meet our needs. 

We are in one right now. Great choice!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Cannot comment on the Apex but we did sail SV on the Edge (same class).

Did not noticed the fumes.

DID notice soot on the outdoor furniture--we were cautious to lie a towel on the chair before sitting down to avoid stains on our clothing.

• Thanks 1