A complex princess drink package question

The one time we did a cabin shuffle, 2 solo bookings moved into one cabin they were very keen on making it official as a permanent change if that was what we were doing (we were)

As it was a B2B they check if we were keeping the arrangement for the second leg( we could have gone to the other one)

Our recent 1st new package cruise(1 cabin) our experience was very different to some reports on CC around the various inclusions and implications of the package options.

I have concluded there is some accommodation around the strict rules based on feedback over some of the silly things like premium desert means premium desert.

Let's say if you don't try it on and don't want to....

As a 4+1 there may be some difficulty in not sharing occasionally.

42 minutes ago, memoak said:

Try ordering 3 different cocktails at one time as a solo and your experience may be different. Many people included will order a”double” pours of wine 

Hasn't ever been an issue for me via app. Order several waters, 2 glasses of wine and a Pina colada. Stash the wine in the fridge while enjoying the Pina colada.  Or a couple beers and a dirty banana.  Literally not an issue.. and absolutely no one has questioned who the drinks were for.  The delivery person isn't in there long enough to count noses. They don't care. 

25 minutes ago, memoak said:

We never use the app since we always order at the bar or MDR. I have often seen bartenders question who the drinks are for if one person is ordering multiple types of drinks. Also if you were to do this in the MDR there would be questions since they can see who has packages and who doesn’t. Your suggestion only really works on the app not out in public

OP was asking about ordering to the room. Ie app or call. 

At a bar, it can sometimes be different - although I've never ever been questioned by a bartender when ordering 2 different drinks at once.  

CCers really like overthinking these things. In reality, the vast majority of the time, bartenders don't care.  They're too busy to play drink police on every single order.  Of course, someone blatantly frequently violating the policies can be cracked down on - in practice, it's pretty darn rare. 

And someone legally solo in a cabin ordering two or three drinks via their app or calling room service, is a non-issue. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

And someone legally solo in a cabin ordering two or three drinks via their app or calling room service, is a non-issue. 

yes, room service?  I'd like to order a double scotch, neat - yes the single malt is fine ...

I'd also like a shirley temple, and a strawberry daiquiri.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, voljeep said:

yes, room service?  I'd like to order a double scotch, neat - yes the single malt is fine ...

I'd also like a shirley temple, and a strawberry daiquiri.

And?   If you enjoy them, why not? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well this all took a weird turn - my plan was definitely not to share drinks. There is a difference between scheming to save money (which I enjoy and have no ethical issues with, heck Warren Buffett still uses coupons at McDonalds) and breaking explicit policies of Princess. And with two little kids and middle class jobs, we are likely to benefit a lot more than Mr. Buffett. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Joe Denver said:

Well this all took a weird turn - my plan was definitely not to share drinks. There is a difference between scheming to save money (which I enjoy and have no ethical issues with, heck Warren Buffett still uses coupons at McDonalds) and breaking explicit policies of Princess. And with two little kids and middle class jobs, we are likely to benefit a lot more than Mr. Buffett. 

You're not doing anything wrong nor are you breaking any rules. The solo adult can order all the drinks they like to enjoy themselves via app, room service or bartender. 

CCers really like to nitpick things that are non-issues.  Absolutely nowhere in your  questions were you asking about sharing, getting around any rules, etc. Don't worry about it.

As for photos - the person with the photo package has to be in the photo - doesn't matter who else is in it..  they can download all their photos throughout the sailing - but sometimes the facial recognition isn't accurate, so they may end up having to comb through the photo prints to find all their photos, then the staff scans them in to their app and voila - they have all their photos! 

Enjoy!!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Joe Denver said:

I guess the title you used and questions about your wife ordering more then one drink at a time and you mentioned sipping your wife’s drink led to the assumption that there might be sharing.

A person can certainly share the wifi- 4 device, be in photos with others- no issue.

If I had 5 people in my group I would book 2 in one cabin and 3 in the other cabin.

Forgo the package and pay separately for things we want. OBC can be used to buy family members things.- no issue there.

You mentioned earlier in the thread you had clarified this matter- was it through Princess?

Because many on here are willing to tell you how they did it- crew are not consistent in enforcing rules, terms of purchase.

I hope you enjoy the cruise.

• Like 1

Just an FYI. Make sure you check your folio daily for any drink mistakes. I was just recently on a cruise with my daughter and her family. My daughter and son-in-law had Princess Plus and I did not since my 9 year old grandson was in my cabin. Twice while dining in the MDR I was charged for my daughter, son-in-law and the grandkids drinks. I had no problem paying for my 3 grandkids drinks but not the other two since they had the drink package. Just be aware.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Maybe I missed something.  All persons in the room have to have Plus or Premier.  You can't just purchase it for one person on the booking.  

His wife is in a single cabin and will purchase the package.

Then they will double up after boarding- to avoid the policy.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Maybe I missed something.  All persons in the room have to have Plus or Premier.  You can't just purchase it for one person on the booking.  

The first two people in the booking have to have the same fare package. Additional people do not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Princess has a bottle water package you can pre order to have in your cabin. They allow each passenger to bring on a case of 12 cans of soda. Wine 2 per guest is also allowed at embarkation and if you want to bring on more to use in dining

room you can pay a corkage fee. 

Free coffee, lemonade, ice tea etc in buffet area. 
Bar drinks add a gratuity per drink.

Kids are charged gratuities, as well.

Edited by dog

19 hours ago, memoak said:

We never use the app since we always order at the bar or MDR. I have often seen bartenders question who the drinks are for if one person is ordering multiple types of drinks. Also if you were to do this in the MDR there would be questions since they can see who has packages and who doesn’t. Your suggestion only really works on the app not out in public

I really cannot understand why any cruise line questioning who is drinking what. Does it matter as long as the limit isn't exceeded and if it is you get charged anyway. As I have previously said I have purchased the Plus package for myself and wife as you cannot have one package under the rules. But then why not. Again if you exceed the 15 drinks per day you pay. I realise why the rules are so because the cruise line want's to make as much out of you as possibly that's why in many cases sea days have been extended and ports of call cut. Yes they have to feed people on sea day's but the take from shops and alcohol outweighs the extra food costs. Cunard used to do a twelve day round trip to New York. Four day's out, four days back Southampton and four days in New York. You won't see any cruise line crossing the pond in less than five days now and last year on Ventura after missing our first port of call Burmuda it was ten days before we reached Freeport Bahamas. The return journey from Port Canaveral was six days to Ponta del Garda and then a further three to Southampton. 

3 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I really cannot understand why any cruise line questioning who is drinking what. Does it matter as long as the limit isn't exceeded and if it is you get charged anyway. As I have previously said I have purchased the Plus package for myself and wife as you cannot have one package under the rules. But then why not. Again if you exceed the 15 drinks per day you pay. I realise why the rules are so because the cruise line want's to make as much out of you as possibly that's why in many cases sea days have been extended and ports of call cut. Yes they have to feed people on sea day's but the take from shops and alcohol outweighs the extra food costs. Cunard used to do a twelve day round trip to New York. Four day's out, four days back Southampton and four days in New York. You won't see any cruise line crossing the pond in less than five days now and last year on Ventura after missing our first port of call Burmuda it was ten days before we reached Freeport Bahamas. The return journey from Port Canaveral was six days to Ponta del Garda and then a further three to Southampton. 

The original Princess drink package was unlimited and Princess said they weren’t worried about sharing because their customers would not do that. Less than a few years later we had a limit due to sharing. If both people in a cabin have a package and can share than one could consume 30 per day. You are not paying for 25 drinks but for the ability of one person to have up to 15. If you look at Princess rules you will note that sharing they may remove the package without refund. That is what you have signed up for

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I really cannot understand why any cruise line questioning who is drinking what. Does it matter as long as the limit isn't exceeded and if it is you get charged anyway.

It matters from a revenue standpoint.  Since most math suggests that purchasing a package becomes cost beneficial once one orders 2.5 to 3 drinks per day, then the sharing of drinks on one person's package would discourage the second person from purchasing the same package. That deprives Princess of the additional $60-$80 per day from that second person.  It would not be unusual at all for the following to be true: 

• 15 drinks per day at $20 or less is sufficient for both people in a cabin
  • The multi-course meal at Sabatini's is enough food for two people to share and still be satisfied
  •  The multi-course meal at Crown Grill is enough food for two people to share and still be satisfied
  • An appetizer and a pizza at Alfredo's can easily feed two people for lunch
  • Unlimited Special Desserts for one person can easily become one per day for two people
  • 4 device WiFi privileges can easily be split two per person.

So in the end, two people could get everything that they need out of just one person paying $80 per day.  (The second person would just have to pay Crew Appreciation.)  Yes, this would work.  But Princess doesn't want it to because they want the revenue.  So which of these features, if enforced, is the one that is going to push people to purchase one package for each of the two people sharing a cabin?  Easy.  The drinks portion of the package.   

• Like 3

A question please:

If you have booked originally with the Princess Plus fare, can you subsequently revert back to the Princess Standard fare ?

For info:

It is not yet final payment date.

The cruise still has availability however not in the cabin category booked.

4 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

A question please:

If you have booked originally with the Princess Plus fare, can you subsequently revert back to the Princess Standard fare ?

For info:

It is not yet final payment date.

The cruise still has availability however not in the cabin category booked.

You may have to cancel & rebook Ask your travel agent to refare before doing that.