Do you expect better service from Celebrity in the Retreat?

zitsky

7 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Perhaps it is the separation/segregation that leads to these unrealistic expectations.  

On my current cruise (not X)  every one is treated the same and eats in the same dining room. Excellent service for every one.

Which line ? 

22 hours ago, zitsky said:

I found an internet complaint.  Pax on Celebrity was sick and it took too long (hours) to get help.  Comment was “I expected better service in the Retreat.”  I did ask why they didn’t walk down to the Medical Center.

I don’t mean people in veranda cabins should be refused medical care or bathroom access.  But if you pay more for something, is it unreasonable to expect better treatment?

Better service overall, yes however, nowhere in the retreat descriptions does it say priority medical care.  The only "better" is better accommodation, and a few other perks.

I for one am extremely grateful the medical centre doesn't discriminate on room booking (and nor should they).  Some years ago I got norovirus on a Celebrity cruise and as I have an extreme allergic reaction to anti-nausea medication I couldn't take any of their usual prescribed medications. Instead the medical staff hooked me up to a drip for a few hours to receive fluids.  The hard-working staff were absolutely wonderful and I can't praise them enough.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, markeb said:

I expect better service for Retreat related service.

I'd expect the medical facility to follow generally accepted triage practices.

Exactly.  I also suspect that this post is a joke, or a feeble attempt at such.

1 hour ago, ScottC4746 said:

Better service overall, yes however, nowhere in the retreat descriptions does it say priority medical care.  The only "better" is better accommodation, and a few other perks.

As I said I asked the user to go directly.  If they cannot, is it pretty normal for it to take hours on a Celebrity ship before you can get someone to take you to the Medical Center?  With Covid I would be happy to stay in the room.  In their case they were often incapacitated.

So it is good to know that Celebrity will treat everyone the same.  Is service by the Medical Center covered by insurance or Medicare?

In answer to the direct question in the thread title, I do not expect better service in the Retreat as compared to the other cabin grades. I expect some more amenities and a few, limited services offered by the Retreat. If the quality of service for any of the ship’s offering is lower for an inside cabin as compared to a suite, we are on the wrong cruise line. 

I expect (certainly hope)  medical care is prioritized based on the urgency of the medical issue, not class of cabin.   Medical team would likely only go to a passenger if medically necessary.   The only difference in service in retreat should be what you paid for - larger cabin, access to Luminae, retreat lounge, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

As I said I asked the user to go directly.  If they cannot, is it pretty normal for it to take hours on a Celebrity ship before you can get someone to take you to the Medical Center?  With Covid I would be happy to stay in the room.  In their case they were often incapacitated.

So it is good to know that Celebrity will treat everyone the same.  Is service by the Medical Center covered by insurance or Medicare?

medicare  coverage does  not extend outside the US.. Secondary coverage depends,  and some cred cards provide insurance..But no on Medicare.

That's why many like us  buy a sep policy that will cover med and other expenses.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

It may be.  Some domestic policies provide coverage internationally.   Many (most?) domestic policies will cover "emergency room" first aid type treatments while traveling outside the country.  As already said, Medicare by itself won't, but an advantage plan might.   Only way to be sure is to read your policy coverage parts.  

2 hours ago, Shiba_Lover said:

I expect (certainly hope)  medical care is prioritized based on the urgency of the medical issue, not class of cabin.   Medical team would likely only go to a passenger if medically necessary.   The only difference in service in retreat should be what you paid for - larger cabin, access to Luminae, retreat lounge, etc.

Of course it is, and the premise that it is not is ludicrous.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, zitsky said:

NOPE!  It is not  covered by Medicare/Medicaid.

On 5/18/2024 at 10:18 AM, zitsky said:

I found an internet complaint.  Pax on Celebrity was sick and it took too long (hours) to get help.  Comment was “I expected better service in the Retreat.”  I did ask why they didn’t walk down to the Medical Center.

I don’t mean people in veranda cabins should be refused medical care or bathroom access.  But if you pay more for something, is it unreasonable to expect better treatment?

Why do you even bring up such an expectation?

Not enough hot topics to keep the juices flowing?  Need to give that old pot a good stirring?

Just askin!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, LMHSRN said:

NOPE!  It is not  covered by Medicare/Medicaid.

Foreign medical expenses such as on a cruise ship ARE covered by Medicare up to a limited amount ONLY if you selected the old Plan F that is no longer available for new signups. There may be a substitute plan that offers this...I'm not sure. The reason I know this? My husband and I were told by our travel insurance company we had to submit our claim to Medicare first. Plan F paid a couple thousand of the bill.

15 hours ago, Pushka said:

Crikey. What treatments did you receive?

They charged $800 each for Paxlovid, a few hundred for each exam. They convinced my husband he need IV fluids, TWICE. All the treatments cost much, much more than they would have at our regular clinic. Buyer Beware. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wavedance said:

Foreign medical expenses such as on a cruise ship ARE covered by Medicare up to a limited amount ONLY if you selected the old Plan F that is no longer available for new signups. There may be a substitute plan that offers this...I'm not sure. The reason I know this? My husband and I were told by our travel insurance company we had to submit our claim to Medicare first. Plan F paid a couple thousand of the bill.

I think Plan F is United Healthcare and not Medicare.  I am sure supplemental Insurance might cover some expenses.

2 hours ago, LMHSRN said:

I think Plan F is United Healthcare and not Medicare.  I am sure supplemental Insurance might cover some expenses.

Yes, thanks for the clarification. Plan F is a Medigap policy, not Medicare per se. 

On 5/18/2024 at 6:45 PM, hcat said:

the big build up by X  about Retreat/ Suite Class, often leads to expectations that exceed reality!

Not sure I agree.  Everything I have seen about the Retreat has been about the Retreat and not related to anything outside of the Retreat.  Never seen any claims that Retreat guest receive better service in the OVC, bars out side the Retreat, MDR, etc.  Everything I can remember seeing has been bout services directly related to the Retreat. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Not sure I agree.  Everything I have seen about the Retreat has been about the Retreat and not related to anything outside of the Retreat.  Never seen any claims that Retreat guest receive better service in the OVC, bars out side the Retreat, MDR, etc.  Everything I can remember seeing has been bout services directly related to the Retreat. 

Can we agree then that the standard should be to respond to medical events fairly?  I think a heart attack should take priority.  I also understand triage.  But the original complaint was waiting hours for a response which is why I asked, could you not take yourself down?

In the case of noro do they advise you to stay in your cabin?  What is the treatment?

20 hours ago, Wavedance said:

Not  "ONLY if" the old Plan F.   There are Medicare plans that provide different levels of coverage internationally.   Every travel insurance plan I have used is secondary, meaning a refusal by other coverage is needed before it kicks in.  

5 hours ago, zitsky said:

Can we agree then that the standard should be to respond to medical events fairly?  I think a heart attack should take priority.  I also understand triage.  But the original complaint was waiting hours for a response which is why I asked, could you not take yourself down?

In the case of noro do they advise you to stay in your cabin?  What is the treatment?

Perhaps that original person you mentioned in post #1 said they expected more simply out of frustration.  I think everyone would agree with what you say is what the standard should be.  I wouldn't think ability to pay would be a determining issue onboard, but who knows.

I thought for noro, you were not given the choice of leaving the cabin.  Unless there are other medical issues to consider, treatment for noro is lots of fluids and wait it out.   

8 hours ago, zitsky said:

Been there, done this.

They tell you to call the medical center and stay in your cabin. An RN visited me and left immodium. She told me to quarantine for 24 for hours or possibly 24 hours after last symptoms. They limit what you can order from room service but my butler brought me whatever I wanted. It seems like I got call from the medical center checking on me.

40 minutes ago, cruzzzinma said:

Been there, done this.

They tell you to call the medical center and stay in your cabin. An RN visited me and left immodium. She told me to quarantine for 24 for hours or possibly 24 hours after last symptoms. They limit what you can order from room service but my butler brought me whatever I wanted. It seems like I got call from the medical center checking on me.

Is limiting what you can order for medical reasons or to make it easier to complete simpler requests?

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

Is limiting what you can order for medical reasons or to make it easier to complete simpler requests?

Have you ever had norovirus? 

I had it a couple of years ago at home and I would have rather died than eat anything for probably 48+ hours ... 

On 5/18/2024 at 10:22 AM, cruisestitch said:

You are paying more for better accommodations and access to Retreat staff.  The medical team is there for all and I doubt if being in retreat would get you any kind of priority there.

Cruisestitch, you are right on the money!  My experience with X's medical facility (13+ years and as recently as just over a month ago), ILLNESS, not cabin type, is  the priority with the medical Teamf!  AND NOTE:  if you or a family member is really ill, don't wait the posted hours to go to Medical Services., Call Guest Services and tell them you need to see a doctor NOW.  DH was greatly scolded by medical staff for not doing this when I was really ill with food poisoning and thus very dehydrated!  Yup, I am a real cheerleader for X's medical teams due to my positive experiences with them.

• Like 3