Grand Voyage vs Regular Voyage

Educate me on what is different about a Grand Voyage vs a regular HAL cruise?

Here is an example......(and please check my math)

4/26 The Volendam has a "Grand Voyage" that is 25 nights and visits 9 ports on its way from Lisbon to FLL.  The Oceanview price is $5838/$234/night per person cruise fare only.

10/25 The Rotterdam has a cruise that is 22 nights and visit 10 ports on its way from Rotterdam to FLL.  The Oceanview price is $2568/$117/night per person cruise fare only.

The "Grand Voyage" is 100% more in price.  What is so different about a "Grand Voyage" that it is worth a 100% premium from a "regular" cruise?

I've seen this price premium on many other "grand" itineraries vs regular cruises....and do not understand....please educate me as to what I am missing or not understanding?

Where a significant portion of the cruise is a TA crossing, I'd say nothing. A "grand" voyage should have a slightly better menu (example, jumbo shrimp cocktail every night), but won't include Have it All if you're interested in that.  I think they'll sell the beverage package. A grand voyage will have a limited number of true formal nights (one per month?) while regular cruises will not. 

The Volendam cruise is a segment of the world voyage - you'd be joining a ship where many of the passengers will have been onboard cruising together since January. Volendam has its advantages for many of the ports on the world voyage, but doubt that's true for the segment you're looking at. For me, I prefer the Rotterdam sailing - much nicer ship, and the cost difference is significant.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A grand usually has specialized menus featuring regional cuisine, an enhanced enrichment program, better entertainment and much of it featuring artists from the region even having movies produced or about the region visiting.  They usually pick experienced crew who have demonstrated a superior service level. There are usually special gifts multiple times during the cruise. There are usually special cultural ambassadors onboard teaching about the region. Some of the features do not live up to what they should be including lecturers who have no special knowledge and are merely plagiarizing.  Also often the regional food is not all that great.

I personally would only choose the grand if it were the only availability for a voyage.  I do find the new legendary series which are only slightly higher per diem worth paying for as they do have some special enrichment, entertainment and food.  

Either grand or legendary you do get the chocolates more often, so there is that .  I can afford my own chocolate 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would say prior to 2019, the grand voyages (which usually total 75+ days but do sell segments, which you are seeing) had unique entertainment/speakers, food, onboard activities and best crew. The food starting falling off as did some of the entertainment and events (which you could hear from annual cruises in their complaints of the Ole days). We also found a few crew members that were new to cruising which we thought was odd and 1 particular person was home sick the first month. Generally HAL has tried to make the experience "grand" by adding extra features and ports not seen on regular itineraries. Depending on who you ask will result in yea or nay if they succeed. Many cruisers do the World every year and some don't even get off at some of the ports. It's more of a winter home (or reunion). We look for specific ports to travel to and if a Grand has them (Grand Asia, where art thou?) we'd do it (or a segment) but otherwise it's hard to value. Beginning and ending in US port is a plus (if you live in US) so no international flights (except in 2020 🤪) and there may be added incentives if paying by a certain date or cabin bookings. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

but won't include Have it All if you're interested in that.  I think they'll sell the beverage package.

I thought the beverage packages were not available, either, on Grand Voyages? Can someone confirm for the OP? Somehow I got the impression that everything was "rack-rate" on Grands, including paying for your beverages by the glass...

4 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I thought the beverage packages were not available, either, on Grand Voyages? Can someone confirm for the OP? Somehow I got the impression that everything was "rack-rate" on Grands, including paying for your beverages by the glass...

That was always true, until the 2024 world voyage. I'm not sure if it changed for other Grands as well, and have no idea if the bev package "at a special price" was available to those on segments vs just those doing the entire sailing. I only sailed virtually, following the several blogs 😉 However, I wouldn't be surprised if Pete from Inside Cabin's site had more info, as he tends to scan & post everything on there. 

Sue/WDW1972

4 hours ago, crystalspin said:

5 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

That was always true, until the 2024 world voyage. I'm not sure if it changed for other Grands as well, and have no idea if the bev package "at a special price" was available to those on segments vs just those doing the entire sailing

The beverage package was available on the '24 Grand Australia & New Zealand as well. For about a month it was priced at a very attractive price and quite a few people purchased it.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

4/26 The Volendam has a "Grand Voyage" that is 25 nights and visits 9 ports on its way from Lisbon to FLL.  The Oceanview price is $5838/$234/night per person cruise fare only.

10/25 The Rotterdam has a cruise that is 22 nights and visit 10 ports on its way from Rotterdam to FLL.  The Oceanview price is $2568/$117/night per person cruise fare only.

The "Grand Voyage" is 100% more in price.  What is so different about a "Grand Voyage" that it is worth a 100% premium from a "regular" cruise?

I've seen this price premium on many other "grand" itineraries vs regular cruises....and do not understand....please educate me as to what I am missing or not understanding?

I don't think that it's about a Grand vs not-Grand voyage so much as it's about the two different classes of ships.  The two smaller R-class ships (Volendam and Zaandam) have far fewer staterooms than the Pinnacle class, therefore not surprised it would be more on the Volendam. 

Edited by zelker
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, zelker said:

The two smaller R-class ships (Volendam and Zaandam) have far fewer staterooms than the Pinnacle class, therefore not surprised it would be more on the Volendam. 

But when the Volendam is doing a "regular cruise"......for instance, FLL to Montreal in 6/2025, the daily rate is $81/night/per person for an Oceanview......

On the older, smaller ships, I have experienced sticker shock for balcony rates as there are few balconies on the older ships....When we want/need a balcony, the larger ships are much more within our travel budget for a balcony....

Still trying to figure out the premium price for the word "grand" attached to your voyage......The "added benefits" listed so far do not move the needle for us....and appreciate all the intel provided.

• Like 3

Just now, FlaMariner said:

But when the Volendam is doing a "regular cruise"......for instance, FLL to Montreal in 6/2025, the daily rate is $81/night/per person for an Oceanview......

On the older, smaller ships, I have experienced sticker shock for balcony rates as there are few balconies on the older ships....When we want/need a balcony, the larger ships are much more within our travel budget for a balcony....

Still trying to figure out the premium price for the word "grand" attached to your voyage......The "added benefits" listed so far do not move the needle for us....and appreciate all the intel provided.

True, the smaller ships are usually more expensive but only by a tiny increment 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

The Volendam 132 day world cruise price is about $219/night. I would not expect a popular segment to sell for less.  If you want a bargain on a world cruise segment, wait until it is rerouted around the west coast of Africa, that segment should go cheaply.

18 minutes ago, Wehwalt said:

The beverage package was available at a discounted rate if you were on for the full grand voyage or a segment of at least 50 days.

Was $1,552 per person for the 2024.  94 days Grand Australia New Zealand.

• 4 weeks later...

The beverage package was also discounted on the 2023 Grand Africa to $16 a day per person.  The discount didn't show up until April with a September sailing.  Not sure if that was a "last minute" test or a permanent "Grand Voyage" discount.  I think almost everyone took advantage of it.

I'm thinking it might have been a test, because it was not advertised anywhere, other than on the bookings/excursions/packages page where only confirmed cruisers had access....

It was such a good deal that you would think if it was permanent, they would be announcing it from the rafters for every Grand Cruise.

Edited by Icarus20
  • Like 1