Constellation - anytime dining - Should you reserve a time?

Although anytime dining means you go anytime between 6-930, I've heard that you really should reserve a specific dining time otherwise you have to wait in line. Is that true? I prefer the flexibility of anytime dining so was disappointed to hear that. 

Posted (edited)

You may have to wait even WITH a reservation! I prefer making a reservation, b/c in theory and often in practice, that line is shorter. And the first night is often a bit of a mess. Don’t expect that every night, thank goodness.

You can show up earlier or later than you reservation, if the time doesn’t suit you that day. They aren’t holding a specific table for you.

In your stateroom, regardless of whether you booked reservations or not, you’ll most likely find a note suggesting that you dine very early or very late. I just sort of roll my eyes and ignore that suggestion.

On our last two cruises, we actually “dined” at OceanView one or two nights. Sometimes it’s adequate, sometimes quite satisfying. If you’re on a warm weather cruise, you get the bonus of being able to dine alfresco.

Have a great cruise.

Edited by May B

We make a reservation for the first night only, just cuz that seems to be the worst night.  After that we don’t make reservations.  

Sounds like, at minimum, make a reservation for 1st night and recommended for other nights too unless you're willing to wait. Good to know. Thank you! 

We found going to dinner about 6:45 worked well as those who ate early to make the 7pm show are leaving.  Also try not to arrive along with all the folks coming out of the early show at 7:45.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PepC450 said:

Sounds like, at minimum, make a reservation for 1st night and recommended for other nights too unless you're willing to wait. Good to know. Thank you! 

it's like any other restaurant. If lots of people turn up at the same time you may have to wait. Worst case is you get a buzzer so you can wait in a bar/louge/al bacio etc. Agreeing to share a table can also cut the wait time. We always pre book for 6.30 every night as soon as we book the cruise as we like a relaxed meal and go to the theatre for the 9.0pm show. WNo right or wrong just personal choice.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, the penguins said:

it's like any other restaurant. If lots of people turn up at the same time you may have to wait. Worst case is you get a buzzer so you can wait in a bar/lounge/al bacio etc. Agreeing to share a table can also cut the wait time. We always pre book for 6.30 every night as soon as we book the cruise as we like a relaxed meal and go to the theatre for the 9.0pm show. We always share a table (ideally a 6) as this for us is one of the reasons we cruise - we eat as a couple every night at home. No right or wrong just personal choice.

a

Edited by the penguins
missing line

We were recently on the Constellation and didn’t have any reservations for dinner. We waited most nights about 10 minutes. The longest wait was for “lobster night” and that wait was closer to 30. It worked for us because we enjoyed listening to the entertainment in the Rendezvous lounge. 

• Like 1

That's great to hear NBliving. We made a reservation for 1st night and figured we'd see how busy it gets the next few nights and make more reservations if we feel it is needed. Thanks everyone for the input. 

We always made a reservation according to times in port. Reservations as previously stated 6-9:30, but sometimes we would walk down at 5:30 and people were already seated.

• Like 1

If we book an Anytime reservation, can we choose between main floor and 2nd floor of restaurant?  In our case on Constellation.

On my Eclipse cruise earlier this year, anytime dining was on the 2nd floor of the MDR.  I made reservations for every night when we weren’t in specialty restaurants and then cancelled them all when our Move Up bid to a Celebrity Suite was accepted.

Catherine

7 hours ago, tbmrt said:

If we book an Anytime reservation, can we choose between main floor and 2nd floor of restaurant?  In our case on Constellation.

No, or anyway, not up until my most recent Connie in December. Anytime is on deck four; fixed is on deck five.

On 5/23/2024 at 1:21 PM, May B said:

No, or anyway, not up until my most recent Connie in December. Anytime is on deck four; fixed is on deck five.

I don't remember what ship it was on, but I remember feeling "left out" of some main dining room floor activities like introduction of officers when we were seated on upper deck w/Anytime Dining. Did you find that?

6 hours ago, tbmrt said:

I don't remember what ship it was on, but I remember feeling "left out" of some main dining room floor activities like introduction of officers when we were seated on upper deck w/Anytime Dining. Did you find that?

No, but now anytime is on the lower deck. Perhaps more are opting for it than the cruise you’re mentioning. We usually have a good view of the staircase between floors so I see what’s going on! And the wait staff marches all around, on the deck they work on, I think.