Passport vs Driving License

axd

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I sail with a group of solo friends from time to time. On our last sailing together, one of our group had a medical emergency onboard and was medically disembarked at the nearest port. Fortunately, that was Port Canaveral, which was our first stop on our sailing out of NYC. Since our bookings were linked, the medical personnel contacted me and asked me to help pack up all of my friend's belongings so they could be sent ashore with him. I was horrified to find that he only had a driver's license, not a passport book anywhere among his things. Thank goodness we just happened to be stopping in another US port before sailing on to Mexico and the Bahamas. The situation could have turned out MUCH differently for my friend had he been disembarked on any of our other port stops. While the risk may be low, it is not zero. There is almost no downside to getting a passport beyond a small fee that only must be paid every 10 years. $200 spread out over 10 years comes out to under a dollar a month!

I am not trying to dissuade anyone from getting a passport but am just answering the question asked.  I will repeat .. there is nothing in life with zero risk .. absolutely nothing!  

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I sail with a group of solo friends from time to time. On our last sailing together, one of our group had a medical emergency onboard and was medically disembarked at the nearest port. Fortunately, that was Port Canaveral, which was our first stop on our sailing out of NYC. Since our bookings were linked, the medical personnel contacted me and asked me to help pack up all of my friend's belongings so they could be sent ashore with him. I was horrified to find that he only had a driver's license, not a passport book anywhere among his things. Thank goodness we just happened to be stopping in another US port before sailing on to Mexico and the Bahamas. The situation could have turned out MUCH differently for my friend had he been disembarked on any of our other port stops. While the risk may be low, it is not zero. There is almost no downside to getting a passport beyond a small fee that only must be paid every 10 years. $200 spread out over 10 years comes out to under a dollar a month!

A related story from today's news:

British tourist stranded in Mexican hospital after collapsing while on holiday with insurers refusing to pay out for heart attack treatment (msn.com)

Edited by Teechur
punctuation repair

7 hours ago, Kay S said:

One funny time was when we needed to get a passport photo for a baby who couldn't yet sit up.  Her dad did contortions holding her so he would not be visible in the picture.  It worked!

you are supposed to lay them down on a white sheet instead of holding them up. 🙂

5 hours ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

The reason I mention this is that if the Police, Customs, or any other law enforcement stop you on the streets of Mexico or Canada away from the ship (on your own), or your ship's tour group, you will need a passport to show them (no carbon copies or cell phone pictures).

could we please have a link to this official information?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kay S said:

Maybe you mean that it would be possible to drive rather than fly back to the US, but crossing the border will still require documentation, passport or otherwise.  The risk is small, maybe, but the risk still does exist.  I would not want to be the one to find out what that might be.

To be fair, the same documents are acceptable for both land and sea border crossings. I personally wouldn’t travel without a passport though.

10 hours ago, Teechur said:

I am currently getting passports for my 3 adult grandsons even though we will be on a closed loop from Seattle to Alaska and back. We have one 4-hour stop in Victoria, for which no passport is necessary, but I am reluctantly going to spend $600+ to get them for possible future travel.

Sucks! 🤑

If they are adults, that's almost 10 years worth of documentation for international travel you are gifting them.  That's a lovely gift and may they think of your with appreciation each time they use it.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

you are supposed to lay them down on a white sheet instead of holding them up. 🙂

That's changed in the last 38 years then.  Our DS was 2 weeks old when 'he' applied for his first passport.  Even though my DH was stationed at the Embassy and just about every Embassy staffer had known me throughout my pregnancy, we had to bring him into the consulate and I had to hold him up with one hand supporting his neck and the other around his waist. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Nobody told our photographer that.  In her case, my granddaughter wouldn't have held still long enough anyway.  🙂

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

could we please have a link to this official information?

For entry into Canada, you need a passport, NEXUS card or enhanced driver's license.

This is detailed in https://www.afar.com/magazine/do-you-need-a-passport-to-go-to-canada as follows.

"Do you need a passport to enter Canada?

Yes, Americans need a passport to go to Canada, or an appropriate alternative document. And that’s whether you’re flying, driving, sailing, biking, taking the train, or walking into the country from the United States.

The policy that requires Americans to have a passport or equivalent document for transiting between the United States and Canada was passed by Congress in 2009 as the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) “to strengthen border security and facilitate entry into the United States.

Under this initiative, a passport is considered the standard document for international travel. It replaced previous forms of identification, such as a standard driver’s license or birth certificate, which were previously accepted for crossing the U.S.–Canada border."

For entry into Mexico, all US Citizens must have a valid passport.

This is detailed in https://embamex.sre.gob.mx/eua/index.php/en/2016-04-09-20-40-51/tourism/1601-3-know-before-you-go

"All citizens of the United States must present a valid passport when entering Mexican territory by any means of transportation. There are no exceptions for minors. Stays less than 72 hours within the border area, do not require an Official Entry Immigration Form (FMM).
Tourists"

I hope this helps.  I never leave the ship in a non-US port without my passport.

5 hours ago, rbelshaw said:

Like many posts in this thread, this statement is overly broad and thus misleading. A passport is required to enter Canada or Mexico by land or air. Not required to enter by sea. I have entered both countries by sea at least eight times in the past two years sans passport. While ashore, you need only carry ID/ DL (and your ship card) to keep the local constabulary happy.

This is what I have found on line about passport requirements in Mexico and Canada.

For entry into Canada, you need a passport, NEXUS card or enhanced driver's license.

This is detailed in https://www.afar.com/magazine/do-you-need-a-passport-to-go-to-canada as follows.

Yes, Americans need a passport to go to Canada, or an appropriate alternative document. And that’s whether you’re flying, driving, sailing, biking, taking the train, or walking into the country from the United States.

The policy that requires Americans to have a passport or equivalent document for transiting between the United States and Canada was passed by Congress in 2009 as the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) “to strengthen border security and facilitate entry into the United States.

Under this initiative, a passport is considered the standard document for international travel. It replaced previous forms of identification, such as a standard driver’s license or birth certificate, which were previously accepted for crossing the U.S.–Canada border."

This is detailed in https://embamex.sre.gob.mx/eua/index.php/en/2016-04-09-20-40-51/tourism/1601-3-know-before-you-go

"All citizens of the United States must present a valid passport when entering Mexican territory by any means of transportation. There are no exceptions for minors. Stays less than 72 hours within the border area, do not require an Official Entry Immigration Form (FMM).
Tourists"

I hope this helps.  I never leave the ship in a non-US port without my passport.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

This is what I have found on line about passport requirements in Mexico and Canada.

Tourists"

Per Google, Feb. 9, 2024:

Here's where you can cruise without a passport - The Points Guy

Can I get off a cruise ship in Canada without a passport?

Closed-loop cruises from U.S. ports that visit Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico are part of an international agreement that allows U.S. citizens to cruise without a passport. In these cases, government-issued identification and proof of U.S. citizenship are acceptable alternatives to a passport book.Feb 9, 2024
Edited by Teechur
Added a link

8 hours ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

The reason I mention this is that if the Police, Customs, or any other law enforcement stop you on the streets of Mexico or Canada away from the ship (on your own), or your ship's tour group, you will need a passport to show them (no carbon copies or cell phone pictures).

More misinformation on this thread.

If this was the case, cruise lines wouldn't allow American passengers without passports off the ship in Mexico or Canada. Nor would they recommend you leave your passport on the ship and take only a photo ID and your ship card/medallion ashore, as they do especially in ports prone to thieves and pickpockets.

The reality is that law enforcement in and around these port cities know some cruise passengers are there (for the day) legally without passports, know that the cruiselines have already checked their documents, and accept a photo ID and ship card/medallion as documentation that you are there legally as a cruise passenger for the day.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Be aware that in some places a passport CARD is not valid if a passport is required. It says the card is good for entry into  Caribbean countries which is a falsehood as several countries there require a passport BOOK. Do not think they are the same as they are not.  Friends found out the hard way when they were denied boarding on a partial Panama cruise having just the card. As has been stated the BOOK is the standard.

You travel at your own risk without.  Accidents happen even to those in good health.

Edited by Potstech

9 hours ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

but that's not what you said before. This is what I am asking for a link to:

17 hours ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, capriccio said:

That's changed in the last 38 years then. 

10 hours ago, Kay S said:

Nobody told our photographer that. 

Too bad. 🙂 It's right there on the US Dept of State website in the U.S. Passport Photos section:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/photos.html

Do you have more tips to take a photo of a baby or toddler?

Yes. Some tips include:

• Lay your baby or toddler on a plain white or off-white sheet, or cover a car seat with a plain white or off-white sheet. 
  • Make sure there are no shadows on your baby or toddler's face.
  • It is okay if a baby's eyes are not entirely open. All other children must have their eyes open.

The site even has examples of acceptable and unacceptable photos. 

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

but that's not what you said before. This is what I am asking for a link to:

I would never ever take my passport off the ship in any port. Princess will tell you to take a valid ID and your medallion. My passport goes into the safe on boarding and stays there until we disembark except for those cruises where the cruise  lines take your passport for certain itineraries 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

Tourists"

You might want to look further.  Other travel documents are accepted for those arriving on a cruise ship and staying in port areas.

11. I am traveling on a cruise to Mexico, do I need visa?/Voy a viajar en crucero a México, necesito visa? A foreigner of any country traveling to Mexico on leisure trips visiting Mexican maritime ports by cruise, are not required to obtain a visa or consular stamp. The passenger must carry a valid and not expired passport or travel document.

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/washington/images/2020/visas/FAQ_13-02-2020.pdf

37 minutes ago, Canuker said:

This is a perennial topic.

I've never understood the widespread resistance to getting / using a passport when outside one's own country.

There are many people who will never travel outside the United States.  For those who want to cruise the Hawaiian Islands, they can do this by flying over and taking a 7 day voyage on NCL* without the need of a passport.  But will need a Real ID by next May. 

*Disclaimer, I did it once and cannot recommend this.  

I have a friend in Hawaii that has never left the state (and they are as old as I am).

On 5/20/2024 at 10:33 PM, capriccio said:

That's changed in the last 38 years then.  Our DS was 2 weeks old when 'he' applied for his first passport.  Even though my DH was stationed at the Embassy and just about every Embassy staffer had known me throughout my pregnancy, we had to bring him into the consulate and I had to hold him up with one hand supporting his neck and the other around his waist. 

Laying an infant on a white sheet is just a suggestion from the passport office. Another is to put a sheet over a car seat and lay them in that. Really, anyway that ends up with a clear photo, with no shadows, and their eyes at least partially open is Ok.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark_K said:

Laying an infant on a white sheet is just a suggestion from the passport office. Another is to put a sheet over a car seat and lay them in that. Really, anyway that ends up with a clear photo, with no shadows, and their eyes at least partially open is Ok.

I am sure that the State Department had no option but to change their instructions at least by the time they began to allow pictures to be taken by the other than 

’official’ passport photographers.  That’s a definite improvement!  

Hey Cruise Critic Community,

I thought I'd share a little humor from my recent adventure in the wonderful world of passport renewals. You see, I'm the proud holder of not one, not two, but THREE passports: Canada, the UK, and the USA. And boy, does that make for a few good laughs (and a couple of headaches)!

First off, let me say, juggling three nationalities is usually pretty cool. It’s great for travel, opens up lots of options, and makes for interesting small talk at parties. But when all three passports decide to expire around the same time? That’s when things get comically chaotic. At least Walgreens has a machine already programmed to take a passport photo that meets the requirements for a lot of countries. Of course the employee always asks, "Wait, you want 3 different passport photos?"

• Haha 2

On 5/21/2024 at 3:17 PM, Torfamm said:

You might want to look further.  Other travel documents are accepted for those arriving on a cruise ship and staying in port areas.

11. I am traveling on a cruise to Mexico, do I need visa?/Voy a viajar en crucero a México, necesito visa? A foreigner of any country traveling to Mexico on leisure trips visiting Mexican maritime ports by cruise, are not required to obtain a visa or consular stamp. The passenger must carry a valid and not expired passport or travel document.

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/washington/images/2020/visas/FAQ_13-02-2020.pdf

Ultimately, of course, it's depends on how comfortable you are leaving the ship and setting foot on foreign soil without proof of citizenship with you.  The universally accepted document is your passport.  If you, god forbid, get into a situation where the local authorities want to see your identification and papers, and all you have is your birth certificate or DL, then you have no proof of citizenship, and it will complicate getting back to the ship or, in a worst case scenerio, getting ahold of the US Consolate.

I'd rather be accused of being overly cautious, than take the risk.  I never leave the ship without my passport.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

Ultimately, of course, it's depends on how comfortable you are leaving the ship and setting foot on foreign soil without proof of citizenship with you.  The universally accepted document is your passport.  If you, god forbid, get into a situation where the local authorities want to see your identification and papers, and all you have is your birth certificate or DL, then you have no proof of citizenship, and it will complicate getting back to the ship or, in a worst case scenerio, getting ahold of the US Consolate.

I'd rather be accused of being overly cautious, than take the risk.  I never leave the ship without my passport.

To each his own regarding what risks are likely. In my opinion, the risk of being detained by authorities is much lower than the risk of pickpockets. I never carry my passport off the ship unless it's required. My passport is the one thing I wouldn't want to lose or have stolen as it would make getting home a challenge and end my trip. I keep it in the safe in my cabin and carry my passport card as identification unless a passport is truly needed.

The other risk some worry about is tour delays, but if you do somehow miss returning to the ship on time, the standard procedure onboard is to check your safe and leave your passport with the port agent before sailing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

Ultimately, of course, it's depends on how comfortable you are leaving the ship and setting foot on foreign soil without proof of citizenship with you

why would you need to prove your US citizenship in a foreign port?

14 minutes ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

If you, god forbid, get into a situation where the local authorities want to see your identification and papers, and all you have is your birth certificate or DL, then you have no proof of citizenship, and it will complicate getting back to the ship or, in a worst case scenario, getting ahold of the US Consulate.

once again, the authorities in the other country would not be interested in your proving your US citizenship (which many cruisers don't even have). They would be interested in the legality of your presence in their country.

A US birth certificate is definitely a great proof of US citizenship, by the way. 

How would not having your US passport on a beach in some other country prevent you from getting back on the ship? I think you are trying to invent some scary scenarios in order to justify bringing your passport with you to the beach or other excursion. You are free to do so, but you don't need to make other cruisers think that they must as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1