excursions sold out / Florence IT + Rome IT / NCL Escape

(first post)(2nd NCL cruise)

we are doing Barcelona > Venice > Barcelona rt Jun 23 > Jul 14 NCL Escape;
wifey says ship-offered land excursions both directions Florence & Rome sold out;

we'd like to at least see some architecture both cities if attraction entries not possible;
advice appreciated how best & safest for reasonable $$ to handle this?
does NCL Escape offer backup transportation?  Do they pair couples to split taxi-uber?
thanks in advance.  regards

Posted (edited)

From Livorno, it is easy to take the train to Florence (about 1 hr each way). Share a cab from the port to Livorno train station, buy RT ticket, validate ticket, train station in Florence is within walking distance of all the sights. Remember to buy advance tickets to the Cathedral, museums, etc that you want to see.

Edited by bluefish17
new info
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, bluefish17 said:

From Livorno, it is easy to take the train to Florence (about 1 hr each way). Share a cab from the port to Livorno train station, buy RT ticket, validate ticket, train station in Florence is within walking distance of all the sights. Remember to buy advance tickets to the Cathedral, museums, etc that you want to see.

Just be aware all signs are in Italian. The first time we were in Livorno, I managed to get us on a train going the wrong way! Luckily, at some point DW figured out what I had done and we got off and took a train back. We did end up having enough time to see Pisa that day, but we did not get to Florence until 10 years later!

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Rib Jig said:

(first post)(2nd NCL cruise)

we are doing Barcelona > Venice > Barcelona rt Jun 23 > Jul 14 NCL Escape;
wifey says ship-offered land excursions both directions Florence & Rome sold out;

we'd like to at least see some architecture both cities if attraction entries not possible;
advice appreciated how best & safest for reasonable $$ to handle this?
does NCL Escape offer backup transportation?  Do they pair couples to split taxi-uber?
thanks in advance.  regards

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

So,,, the ship only offers their shore excursions. There are nothing else from the ship. And shopping for excursions a couple of weeks before you depart leaves you with left overs. 

Now you need to scramble to book 3rd party excursions. Or DYI. For both, you need to ensure that you get back to the ship on time. Both ports are a good distance from their cities. And traffic, train delays, missed trains may result in the ship leaving without you. There are a couple of recent cases where passengers called saying “we’re stuck in traffic” and found an empty dock when they arrived. 

So,,, you are now the excursion planner. You hit both ports twice, so figure out what you want to do each time you call there. Make sure you have sufficient cash if you are taking taxis around. Find train schedules. Assume that 4500 of your newest friends will be getting off the ship at both ports as soon as you arrive, so there will be long lines and delays. (NCL Shore excursions will be moving their people through the disembarkation, often around the lines of DYIers.)

Edited by BirdTravels

Posted (edited)

Keep in mind that "Rome" really isn't Rome when it comes to cruising. The port is Civitavecchia and Rome is quite a distance away. Be sure to factor round trip time in your calculations for excursions for that port.

And for that matter. "Florence" isn't really Florence...it's Livorno...a good distance from Florence.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 1

Go to your Roll Call on this forum and also the Port of Italy forum. There are possibly people on your ship who are looking to share excursions/cabs or ubers. You can also check tour groups from Rome in Limo and Italy Tours.com who are looking for passengers to round out their tours, on your ship and others in port the same day. Much less expensive than ship excursions and reliable (their reputations depend on getting people back to the port on time). 

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

thanks for responses thus far !!

sending wifey link to this thread;

will post follow-up questions as needed;

😊__😊 __👍

Edited by Rib Jig

We have booked an excursion with Get Your Guide from Livorno to Florence (for a fraction of the NCL price), a coach picks you up in Livorno man square where the port shuttle drops you off and takes you back there at the end of the trip. I've used them a few times and they use local tour operators whose business depends on reviews, so they will ensure that you are back in plenty of time. Livorno station is around 2km from the town centre so not as straight forward as you'd expect. Civitivecchia to Rome on the other hand is relatively simple if you are comfortable enough using the train. That is our plan for these stops. 

Yes I was supposed to go on Escape next week.   Back in March I saw lots of availability for a few shorex and then suddenly for both days from Livorno, NO more Cinque Terre excursions and I am talking for two days.

Then came notice that getting inside the Vatican is being reduced.  Rome wants to reduce availability to ships as they want more tourist to actually stay in Rome at hotels and eat in their restaurants.  So, the deadline for tickets to see insides of Vatican was added and I am glad I had mine in. Or so I thought.

Then came a notice that no longer will my tour get to go into the Coliseum.  I mean what gives with Rome anyways.  And the wording for Vatican tour changed online to exclude any inside visits. So that had me wondering if I was okay or not.  A 10 hour day r/t to Rome and not see inside of Vatican or Coliseum well no thanks.

I gave up and since I had insurance I cancelled and took the 10% penalty. Getting 90% Future credit and money back for shorex and Airline will give a future credit as well.

I just felt NCL and Europe not in the cards for me this year.  

5 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Yes I was supposed to go on Escape next week.   Back in March I saw lots of availability for a few shorex and then suddenly for both days from Livorno, NO more Cinque Terre excursions and I am talking for two days.

Then came notice that getting inside the Vatican is being reduced.  Rome wants to reduce availability to ships as they want more tourist to actually stay in Rome at hotels and eat in their restaurants.  So, the deadline for tickets to see insides of Vatican was added and I am glad I had mine in. Or so I thought.

Then came a notice that no longer will my tour get to go into the Coliseum.  I mean what gives with Rome anyways.  And the wording for Vatican tour changed online to exclude any inside visits. So that had me wondering if I was okay or not.  A 10 hour day r/t to Rome and not see inside of Vatican or Coliseum well no thanks.

I gave up and since I had insurance I cancelled and took the 10% penalty. Getting 90% Future credit and money back for shorex and Airline will give a future credit as well.

I just felt NCL and Europe not in the cards for me this year.  

That's unfortunate.  I wonder if you had booked with a private company if it had gone differently.

1 minute ago, Crazy planning mom said:

That's unfortunate.  I wonder if you had booked with a private company if it had gone differently.

well I for one have had very good luck with ship excursions, but Rome if playing games and I also never thought the Cinque Terre would go so fast either.  

Glad I am not going next week.  I will go next year with RCI.

But I have Viva and Prima next year to Iceland and Greece so not totally down on NCL.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

well I for one have had very good luck with ship excursions, but Rome if playing games and I also never thought the Cinque Terre would go so fast either.  

Glad I am not going next week.  I will go next year with RCI.

But I have Viva and Prima next year to Iceland and Greece so not totally down on NCL.

My point wasnt to attack NCL's excursions.  My point is that if you went with a private company would you have had better luck getting inside of the Vatican.  They wouldnt have necessarily known you were on a cruise if you took an excursion with a regular tour provider.  If Rome is purposely trying to limit cruise guests at its major attractions.

Edited by Crazy planning mom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy planning mom said:

My point wasnt to attack NCL's excursions.  My point is that if you went with a private company would you have had better luck getting inside of the Vatican.  They wouldnt have necessarily known you were on a cruise if you took an excursion with a regular tour provider.  If Rome is purposely trying to limit cruise guests at its major attractions.

at this point I would not know.  I never buy private excursion and it is 4 hours r/t driving and I would feel better with an excursion full of other passengers.

I did not think you were attacking NCL excursions. but for me it helped make up my mind..

23 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Just be aware all signs are in Italian. The first time we were in Livorno, I managed to get us on a train going the wrong way! Luckily, at some point DW figured out what I had done and we got off and took a train back. We did end up having enough time to see Pisa that day, but we did not get to Florence until 10 years later!

It can be confusing because Florence is Firenze! In Rome, we kept asking taxi’s to take us to the Trevi Fountain, but they call it Fountana de Trevi. They kept looking at me like I was speaking English, or something! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

On 5/29/2024 at 7:24 PM, debenson0723 said:

Go to your Roll Call on this forum...

Wifey could not find "roll call" for Escape our dates:

Barcelona > Venice > Barcelona rt Jun 23 > Jul 14 NCL Escape

if possible, please provide link, thanks in advance;

4 hours ago, Rib Jig said:

B2B = Barcelona to Barcelona?  Yes.

It looks like you are doing 2 cruises Back 2 Back on the Escape. Barcelona to Venice from June 23rd to July 3rd for the first leg and then July 3rd from Venice back to Barcelona on the 2nd leg. So wifey needs to look for 2 separate Roll Calls with those dates. 

• Like 1

We also used Italytours.eu. It was an excursion from Naples to Pompeii and the Amalfi coast. We also used Driverinrome.com for a tour from Livorno which was a wine tour in Tuscany and surrounding countryside. Both tours were excellent, and I would not hesitate to use either tour company again. We did end up sharing some tours with other cruisers who posted on the roll call.

Enjoy your cruise!

For the most part, people organize groups for private tours through the roll call for their cruise.

Most tour operators will want you to organize the group yourself, but I've had good results with italytoursharing.com, which allows you to search their site (by port and date) for groups that other passengers have started and which still have room, or to create a new group that others can join. In the latter case, you announce your new group in the roll call and give a link for others to sign up.

If a group doesn't achieve the minimum number for that tour, they will try to find you a space in another group.

My first cruise was the western Mediterranean, from Rome (could also board at Barcelona) and all my excursions were private ones organized or promoted through the roll calls.

On 6/2/2024 at 10:57 AM, Rib Jig said:

B2B = Barcelona to Barcelona?  Yes.

The ordinary sense of B2B is "back to back": consecutive cruises on the same ship.