Ship to FLL Airport

LARGIN

21 minutes ago, LARGIN said:

Is a 1250 flight out of Fort Lauderdale doable?  How does luggage from ship to home work on Southwest?

Yeah, easily.  You could walk to the airport with that much time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was advised that taxi's from Port Everglades were regulated.  Not so on my last cruise.  There is a long queue and you sort of get whoever drives up next.  His meter "didn't work".  I would take an Uber the next time.

Yes very easy!  We easily made a 9 AM flight out of FLL by doing walkoff and taking a taxi to the airport so no worries.

I had posted details of EZCheck in this comment earlier this month, hoping the link works!

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I was advised that taxi's from Port Everglades were regulated.  Not so on my last cruise.  There is a long queue and you sort of get whoever drives up next.  His meter "didn't work".  I would take an Uber the next time.

Most claim that their meters don't work, but they get em to work when I say "let me off".....or they claim "flat rate" which is about 2X the amount of a metered rate.

In March, they changed the location for grabbing cabs....the change happened just that morning so it was a mess....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

Most claim that their meters don't work, but they get em to work when I say "let me off".....or they claim "flat rate" which is about 2X the amount of a metered rate.

In March, they changed the location for grabbing cabs....the change happened just that morning so it was a mess....

The flat rate scam only happened to us once, and the amount ended up, luckily, only being what we usually pay on the meter plus our usual tip.  We've done those trips many times and know exactly what a metered ride costs. So when we reached FLL I simply gave him the flat rate and no tip.  I once asked one of the Sheriff's Deputies who manage the taxi line at PE Terminal 2 about this scam, and he quite clearly told me that taxi drivers never do this and always use the meters.

We're not due back to FLL until October, and I think we'll be using Uber to and from the airport for the first time. We always use Uber to and from hotels etc, but prefer taxis at the airport and PE as they are easier and faster to get. Crooked taxi drivers are something we can do without on vacation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, LARGIN said:

Is a 1250 flight out of Fort Lauderdale doable?  How does luggage from ship to home work on Southwest?

12:50 is definitely fine.

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

I once asked one of the Sheriff's Deputies who manage the taxi line at PE Terminal 2 about this scam, and he quite clearly told me that taxi drivers never do this and always use the meters.

And I was told by a "reliable" Floridian.  To the OP...you will have lots of time to get to the airport, if you use UBER or Lyft.

On 5/30/2024 at 1:42 PM, lx200gps said:

The flat rate scam only happened to us once, and the amount ended up, luckily, only being what we usually pay on the meter plus our usual tip.  We've done those trips many times and know exactly what a metered ride costs. So when we reached FLL I simply gave him the flat rate and no tip.  I once asked one of the Sheriff's Deputies who manage the taxi line at PE Terminal 2 about this scam, and he quite clearly told me that taxi drivers never do this and always use the meters.

We're not due back to FLL until October, and I think we'll be using Uber to and from the airport for the first time. We always use Uber to and from hotels etc, but prefer taxis at the airport and PE as they are easier and faster to get. Crooked taxi drivers are something we can do without on vacation.

Two comments.

We booked our Uber from the hotel to the airport 24 hours in advance of the cruise.  MISTAKE.  The going rate that morning was $10 less.

Yes, we were hit with the "no meter" scam at FLL.  He quoted us a rate of $25 and we took it.  In the future, we will try Uber from the cruise port as we will have 32 hours to get from Fort Lauderdale to our hotel by the Miami airport.

Another taxi rip off is in San Juan where the flat rate anywhere is also $25.

9 hours ago, jlawrence01 said:

Two comments.

We booked our Uber from the hotel to the airport 24 hours in advance of the cruise.  MISTAKE.  The going rate that morning was $10 less.

Yes, we were hit with the "no meter" scam at FLL.  He quoted us a rate of $25 and we took it.  In the future, we will try Uber from the cruise port as we will have 32 hours to get from Fort Lauderdale to our hotel by the Miami airport.

Another taxi rip off is in San Juan where the flat rate anywhere is also $25.

For us, Ubering from a quiet hotel to the port is never a problem. In places like Fort Lauderdale and LA, there are Ubers everywhere and we rarely wait more than 5 minutes for one to arrive, obviating the need to arrange for one in advance. Ubering FROM the port or the airport has always been worrisome for us given the absolute chaos and crowds of people crammed into a tight space all waiting for a specific car. Port Everglades T2 (Princess) is particularity bad given the design of the traffic circle in front of the terminal. That being said, we did Uber from San Pedro for the first time on our last trip and it wasn't bad, though we did do very early disembarkation and the Uber pickup area was relatively quiet.

As to the $25 flat rate in Fort Lauderdale, IIRC that was about what we paid that one time and, as I said, we just didn't give him a tip.

We have waited a very long time for the shared service, would have been better off in a cab…multiple phone calls and messages just kept telling me they were almost there. Buyer beware in FLL of both the taxis who even when meter is running like to loop the airport until you call them out.

The last few years now, we used Howard Transportation.  WE had him pick us up at 10:30am to get to the port.  We used the EZ Check and did a 7:30am Walk Off to get to the airport in about 10 minutes.  If you use independent transportation, be use you know where the pickup area is.  The Princess people kept telling us we had to go to where the taxi area is.  This is is website.

https://www.ride099.com/