YC Tips

brovol

I don't see it spelled out specifically in my booking information, but are tips included in the fare for YC?  Or, will they be taken out once I'm on the ship?  And are the butlers tips included?  Just watched a video review of YC, and they said tips were included in the price; which is awesome if true.  Anyone know for sure?

That depends if you booked with MSC USA or with MSC in Europe. If you booked for example with MSC UK or MSC Germany all is paid already, including the tips. It is quite possible to have a bill of zero on board.

If you booked with MSC USA you will have daily tips and strange taxes added to your cabin bill. No individual tipping, but nobody will punish you if you do (discreet). For example our cabin steward from India was so nice and helpful last week that I tipped him 10 euros, the highest tip I paid in my life 🙂

This all will probably change very soon and USA will enter the first world final pricing 😉 because California made this a law.

Posted (edited)

On our Euribia cruise of Northern Europe, we had a $1 MSC Foundation fee.  We did not bother to question it but anyone know what that fee is? 

Edited by GPPhilly

27 minutes ago, GPPhilly said:

On our Euribia cruise of Northern Europe, we had a $1 MSC Foundation fee.  We did not bother to question it but anyone know what that fee is? 

This is the philanthropic foundation of the Aponte family. Here you can see what they do: https://www.mscfoundation.org/

If you donate 1$ (or more), the Apontes will double the donation. If you don't want to donate you can  delete at reception.

1 hour ago, perakcruiser said:

This is the philanthropic foundation of the Aponte family. Here you can see what they do: https://www.mscfoundation.org/

If you donate 1$ (or more), the Apontes will double the donation. If you don't want to donate you can  delete at reception.

I knew what the fund was but I find it very presumptuous that they assume they can just add the fee to your bill.  I understand it is a $1 but unless you agree to it in the terms and conditions how do they get away with just adding to your bill.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GPPhilly said:

I knew what the fund was but I find it very presumptuous that they assume they can just add the fee to your bill.  I understand it is a $1 but unless you agree to it in the terms and conditions how do they get away with just adding to your bill.  

Simply because It's added with the caveat that it's discretionary and clearly stated on the bill you can remove it if you wish. And they probably assume most people will not bother to query or remove a $1 charge.

On 5/31/2024 at 2:21 PM, brovol said:

I don't see it spelled out specifically in my booking information, but are tips included in the fare for YC?  Or, will they be taken out once I'm on the ship?  And are the butlers tips included?  Just watched a video review of YC, and they said tips were included in the price; which is awesome if true.  Anyone know for sure?

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/manage-booking/before-you-go/service-charges

• Like 1

Hi friends,

In the Yacht Club you should in my humble opinion give if deserving a Tip to people like your Butler & Asst. Butler (Cabin Steward). 

As well you should definitely Tip the Waiters, Asst. Waiters and others in the Dining room who work extremely hard all day everyday to serve you with excellence!. 

Also the Top Sail Lounge if you receive great and/or special service. 

The daily amount that they charge on your bill is for the team members that are not in sight like laundry or prep work in the kitchen etc., not the Butlers/Waiters in the Yacht Club. 

There is an old saying "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time" Don't book the Yacht Club and then have all of them treat you like a Lord or King and then stiff them!

Happy Sailing friends.....

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I like an even older saying "Tip unto others as you would have them tip unto you".

Well said friend!!!!!!

Happy Sailing & Best regards...

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Eaglestrike said:

The daily amount that they charge on your bill is for the team members that are not in sight like laundry or prep work in the kitchen etc., not the Butlers/Waiters in the Yacht Club. 

I do not believe that to be true, they all share in that tip pool, both those you see and those you do not.

... of course as I've said before additional tipping where deserved is fully understandable, but it is additional, as they are included in the pool.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

I do not believe that to be true, they all share in that tip pool, both those you see and those you do not.

... of course as I've said before additional tipping where deserved is fully understandable, but it is additional, as they are included in the pool.

Hi friend, 

That is OK if YOU ARE NOT IN THE YACHT CLUB, but if you are in the YC where the Butlers/Asst. Butlers, Waitstaff etc., are treating you like a King & Queen then in my humble opinion they should be tipped and this is what they expect however will not say this. I have taken 8 YC cruises and they are all EXCEPTIONAL and everyone works so very hard to serve and please everyone. 

Happy Sailing & Best regards

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Eaglestrike said:

That is OK if YOU ARE NOT IN THE YACHT CLUB, but if you are in the YC where the Butlers/Asst. Butlers, Waitstaff etc., are treating you like a King & Queen then in my humble opinion they should be tipped and this is what they expect however will not say this.

That is fine, it is your opinion, and one I generally agree with, but when people read simple statements like '...

6 hours ago, Eaglestrike said:

... they are apt to misunderstand and believe that those crew are excluded form the tip pool, hence my comment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mark_T said:

Here is a FB post from a former crew member on this subject.

"ElGofre

·11 mo. ago

Ex-crew here, although I wasn't part of the crew who received gratuities.

The simple explanation is that most of the service crew are guaranteed a certain wage per month, partially paid for by the cruise line and partially via gratuities, and if the amount of gratuities received during the cruise aren't enough to reach that guaranteed amount, the cruise will make up the shortfall. My understanding is that the maths is done so that if everyone on board the ship sailing at it's usual sailing capacity leaves their gratuities turned on, the amount in the pool will be enough to cover that wage for everyone. In the event people do overpay, it does indeed mean the crew get paid more-

IF the cruise line doesn't take a cut or reduce their contribution, the crew's pay does increase."

Edited by morpheusofthesea

13 hours ago, Eaglestrike said:

Hi friends,

In the Yacht Club you should in my humble opinion give if deserving a Tip to people like your Butler & Asst. Butler (Cabin Steward). 

As well you should definitely Tip the Waiters, Asst. Waiters and others in the Dining room who work extremely hard all day everyday to serve you with excellence!. 

Also the Top Sail Lounge if you receive great and/or special service. 

There is an old saying "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time" Don't book the Yacht Club and then have all of them treat you like a Lord or King and then stiff them!

Happy Sailing friends.....

You understand that the concept of tipping for service is very us-centric. In lots of countries tips are rare when not completely absent and frown upon.

I am an European that have lived in the US since 2001 and I still can't understand why it is considered something acceptable for a employer to pay very little to a worker and expect the client to cover the rest through tips. I, of course, tip as it is customary in restaurants when in the US but not because I agree with the concept but because it is what it is, for me a tip is a tax (20%) like sales tax are also extra (that is for another time.....)

But I feel rather paternalistic to read what I have to do, specially implying that since I am sailing in YC the tips are more warranted. I am already paying a higher fare so sorry but I don't agree with your point of view. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, nlclhc said:

You understand that the concept of tipping for service is very us-centric

Not altogether.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/23748777_The_Social_Norm_of_Tipping_A_Review

"Finally, Lynn and Lynn (2004) looked at tipping norms in restaurants and

taxicabs in 80 countries, and analyzed their relationship to the four major

national value dimensions suggested by Hofstede (1983): power distance (i.e.,

acceptance of power and status differences), uncertainty avoidance (i.e., dis-

like of uncertainty), individualism (i.e., emphasis on individual as opposed

to group identity and motivation), and masculinity (i.e., commitment to

traditionally masculine values e.g., achievement, status, materialism

over feminine values e.g., caring, relationships). Lynn and Lynn found

that tip percentage in restaurants (according to the norm in each country)

was correlated positively with uncertainty avoidance and masculinity,

whereas tip percentage in taxicabs was correlated positively with individu-

alism and masculinity. They explained that the positive correlation of tip-

ping with uncertainty avoidance suggests that tipping is seen as a guarantee of good and friendly service; and the positive correlation with masculinity shows that tipping is seen as a status display."

If MSC expect their customers to pay a part of the staffs salary they shall not recommend us "not to tip".

Since MSC say that no tipping is needed I assume that the salaries are high enough. Why shall I assume something else?

I do tip extra but only because I want to.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Eaglestrike said:

Hi friend, 

That is OK if YOU ARE NOT IN THE YACHT CLUB, but if you are in the YC where the Butlers/Asst. Butlers, Waitstaff etc., are treating you like a King & Queen then in my humble opinion they should be tipped and this is what they expect however will not say this. I have taken 8 YC cruises and they are all EXCEPTIONAL and everyone works so very hard to serve and please everyone. 

Happy Sailing & Best regards

I agree with @nlclhc - I'm an American who's been living in Europe for over a decade now...I have cruised on many MSC ships.  The staff, who often work with heavy loads of Europeans, do not expect you to tip above and beyond the service charges/gratuities that have already been paid.  While I agree, quite often the service in the Yacht Club is deserving of a gratuity above the required service charges/gratuities (and we most often do leave extra), I do not feel one should feel obligated.

3 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

If MSC expect their customers to pay a part of the staffs salary they shall not recommend us "not to tip".

Since MSC say that no tipping is needed I assume that the salaries are high enough. Why shall I assume something else?

Agree with the above; the way gratuities work as explained by @morpheusofthesea is how the gratuities have practically always worked.  30 years ago before being compulsory (on US cruise lines) wages were set lower on the expectation that a certain average level of gratuity would be achieved.  As cruising expanded (both in volume and as US cruise lines more regularly started cruising non-US itineraries and marketing to non-US audiences) it became obvious they could not count on a certain average level of gratuity would be achieved for each of the main types of staffing.  As such, in order to retain (and continue to recruit) crew they instituted mandatory gratuities in order to be able to provide crew with assurances they would always get a certain level of pay.  

Bottom line, I see nothing wrong in tipping only when service is actually extraordinary.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

TIPS: MSC does not recommend tipping individual members of staff.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/manage-booking/before-you-go/service-charges

4. “NOT RECOMMENDED” means that there may be valid reasons in certain circumstances when the particular behaviour is acceptable or even useful, but the full implications should be understood and the case carefully weighed before implementing any behaviour described with this label.

Conventions page 6 https://www.projectcounter.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Release5_20171107.pdf

English can be a difficult language to grasp. Lawyers are drafted to make things even more difficult to understand or interpret.

18 hours ago, nlclhc said:

I am an European that have lived in the US since 2001 and I still can't understand why it is considered something acceptable for a employer to pay very little to a worker and expect the client to cover the rest through tips.

Because everybody wins. Good servers prefer it this way as they make more money in tips then they would with just a salary alone. They are incentivized to provide better service, which is a win for the customer. The business owner also wins as wages are kept in check, which is also a win for the customer as menu prices are lower. Finally, the lousy tippers get the worst service, which is a win for the rest of humanity.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RichYak said:

Because everybody wins. Good servers prefer it this way as they make more money in tips then they would with just a salary alone. They are incentivized to provide better service, which is a win for the customer. The business owner also wins as wages are kept in check, which is also a win for the customer as menu prices are lower. Finally, the lousy tippers get the worst service, which is a win for the rest of humanity.

I completely disagree, the only one that wins is the owner.

The server doesn't know a priori if the costumer is going to be a lousy tipper. Moreover, since normally for large parties tips are included by default it does not serve the purpose of incentivizing good service.

In Europe and Asia the service in restaurants is as fantastic as in the US without the need of a 20% tax on top to the bill.

We can discuss hours and hours without reaching and agreement. My whole point is that tips are viewed very differently in different countries. In some they are a percentage of the final bill, in some pocket change paid in cash (lots of Americans are surprised the first time they go to Europe when they see that there is no line in their credit card receipt for the tip) and in some they just don't exist.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nlclhc said:

The server doesn't know a priori if the costumer is going to be a lousy tipper.

There are loads of suggestions in this university study on tipping. (Post #20)

"Ruffle (1999) presented a psychological game-theoretic model of gift

giving in which players’ beliefs and resulting emotions (e.g., surprise, dis-

appointment, embarrassment, pride) affected their utility. He then discussed

briefly how the model can be applied to tipping, suggesting that a customer

who intends to tip generously but who looks like a cheap tipper (i.e., some-

one who tips poorly) should tip up front, before the service is provided."

A priori the server's knowledge comes from deductive reasoning based on self-evident truths, like this guest is an infrequent cruiser on this ship and he is dressed like a pauper hence he is a cheapskate (a deduction ). Tipping in advance was actually more popular in the later 19th century (I guess most of us dressed like paupers then).

P.S. More hours were spent by academics on this topic and should make good reading for serious skeptics.

P.S.