May 26 Pride Greenland Cruise Weather Issues

I apologize if this has been asked already, but I hadn't seen it anywhere and wanted to confirm. I just heard that the current Greenland cruise that left on May 26 is once again not making it to Greenland due to ice and wind. If this is just a rumor and not confirmed, I am not trying to start anything but just looking to find out if this is true and how Carnival may be handling the current situation. I'm sailing to Greenland in August myself.

According to the Pride facebook page, that is correct. Posted by current cruisers.No substitute ports posted, just additional sea days to my knowledge. 

• Like 1

This is to be expected on a regular basis when you take a non-Polar Class vessel into Polar Code regions.  Virtually any ice at all will keep the ship from porting in Greenland.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Been there , done that

The reason we decided to cancel ours. To much uncertainty. And the cruises that did make it had tendering nightmares. 😎

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

The reason we decided to cancel ours. To much uncertainty. And the cruises that did make it had tendering nightmares. 😎

Smart move.  Would have LOVED to have been there.

There's a lot of beautiful places to visit in Greenland that can support tourism, but they're inland.  The two ports where Carnival docks are tiny little fishing villages that are ill-prepared for the rush of cruise passengers.  Sailing around Greenland is the most worthwhile part of the trip.  The icebergs, skies, and clean air are awesome.  I wouldn't do it again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stobe1 said:

Looks like she is at least sailing through some Greenland fjords a little farther west than the intended ports.

A lot closer than we got.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

This is to be expected on a regular basis when you take a non-Polar Class vessel into Polar Code regions.  Virtually any ice at all will keep the ship from porting in Greenland.

Strangely enough, our reason was two hurricanes…..

Wow. I just saw this news. Carnival has 4 more attempts; two later this year and two next. They're at prices at or above a typical 14 night Hawaii cruise. But it's becoming clear that the challenges associated with Greenland are significant so I'd expect cancellations to increase significantly. 

Having done it (well tried to) and taking into consideration the exponential cost of the trip, I would advise caution in others trying this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Having done it (well tried to) and taking into consideration the exponential cost of the trip, I would advise caution in others trying this.

Agreed. On top of that, the typical Carnival cruiser is mostly used to simply heading to the Bahamas or the Caribbean where missed ports are somewhat unusual. Sure, sometimes hurricanes mess things up and both Grand Turk and Grand Cayman can be a little iffy but for the most part cruises go off without a hitch. 'World traveling' is different. Just look at the world cruises that had to head around Africa this year. So folks heading off to Greenland (and paying a steep price to do so) expect to be able to make it. But now with two straight failed attempts, I'll bet the Beards are re-thinking this. It'll be interesting to see if this cruise disappears when the 2026 itineraries are released.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Agreed. On top of that, the typical Carnival cruiser is mostly used to simply heading to the Bahamas or the Caribbean where missed ports are somewhat unusual. Sure, sometimes hurricanes mess things up and both Grand Turk and Grand Cayman can be a little iffy but for the most part cruises go off without a hitch. 'World traveling' is different. Just look at the world cruises that had to head around Africa this year. So folks heading off to Greenland (and paying a steep price to do so) expect to be able to make it. But now with two straight failed attempts, I'll bet the Beards are re-thinking this. It'll be interesting to see if this cruise disappears when the 2026 itineraries are released.

Totally agree.  That said, and I think you and I are the same page, I sure hope they do not abandon these different, special voyages.  For us, they are a difference make in our cruising world.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Totally agree.  That said, and I think you and I are the same page, I sure hope they do not abandon these different, special voyages.  For us, they are a difference make in our cruising world.

I agree with that completely @jimbo5544. I applaud Carnival for their creative Journeys and repos. Frankly that's mostly what we do these days. It just seems like the Greenland run has just been too challenging to pull off. We did Iceland last year and made 3 out of 4 ports up there. All good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jsglow said:

My first missed port was Bimini on Spirit this year. One of the bartenders told me they hadn't made Bimini in two months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We went to Greenland and Iceland on NCL in July 2022, and missed 2 out of 6 ports (one in each country). There was a ton of ice and fog traveling to and from Greenland…it’s definitely a chance if you get there or not. Personally, I wouldn’t try in late May, from our experience with the icebergs in late July. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

On the Pride now and we missed our third port today of St Anthony’s.  Too foggy for tenders.  We got on May 26th and haven’t been able to touch dirt yet!  Disappointed for sure, but I feel sorry for the crew.  Lots of work hours for them for sure.  Next port is Wednesday.  Fingers crossed.

Edited by Immeo
  • Like 8

wow. Didnt know they were going to try to get to Greenland this early in the season until i heard about this on youtube. That is a challenging area for sure.

19 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

One of the bartenders told me they hadn't made Bimini in two months.

That's odd.  We've been to Bimini 4 times and docked each time without a hitch.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Immeo said:

On the Pride now and we missed our third port today of St Anthony’s.  Too foggy for tenders.  We got on May 26th and haven’t been able to touch dirt yet!  Disappointed for sure, but I feel sorry for the crew.  Lots of work hours for them for sure.  Next port is Wednesday.  Fingers crossed.

Hang in there!