Azamara and Perry Golf - pricing and booking?

rodndonna

For those of you that do Perry Golf cruises with Azamara, can you tell me if when you are researching, pricing  and booking do you typically deal with Azamara and then just "add-on" a golf package after (or while) booking, or do you just deal with Perry Golf?

Here is what I am trying to achieve, I would like to price out Perry Golf cruises for us (as a couple) for future budgeting/planning purposes. I am resistant to provide Perry Golf with our contact info to get pricing estimates, but it appears I would also have to provide full contact to Azamara to work through a mock booking (and get the golf price add-ons I am trying to see)

I am hesitant mostly because this would be a "one of splurge" for us in 2 or 3 years, and I don't want any more cruise line spam than I am already getting from cruiselines I am typically booking with.

Do I just have to accept 2-3 years worth of additional spam to get what I am looking for?

You can unsubscribe from emails so you should be able to get figures from Perry Golf and then say “opt out of marketing” 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, uktog said:

You can unsubscribe from emails so you should be able to get figures from Perry Golf and then say “opt out of marketing” 

Thanks - I think you are right and I may have to go that route for accurate quotes.

In the meantime - I have found a Youtube video where they are giving a figure of about $700/pp/per round which was about what I was guesstimating .. sadly $1000/pp/per round for us Canadians.

For now I can at least estimate - take the cruise cost total and then add $2000 (Can$) times the number of rounds of golf to the total. It definitely put it in the "one of splurge" experiences for us ... but at least we can ponder it....😊

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

For those of you that do Perry Golf cruises with Azamara, can you tell me if when you are researching, pricing  and booking do you typically deal with Azamara and then just "add-on" a golf package after (or while) booking, or do you just deal with Perry Golf?

Here is what I am trying to achieve, I would like to price out Perry Golf cruises for us (as a couple) for future budgeting/planning purposes. I am resistant to provide Perry Golf with our contact info to get pricing estimates, but it appears I would also have to provide full contact to Azamara to work through a mock booking (and get the golf price add-ons I am trying to see)

I am hesitant mostly because this would be a "one of splurge" for us in 2 or 3 years, and I don't want any more cruise line spam than I am already getting from cruiselines I am typically booking with.

Do I just have to accept 2-3 years worth of additional spam to get what I am looking for?

I have never done a Perry Golf Cruise, but I have cruised with other groups: in my experience you always have to book through that company (or their rep) in order to be a part of the group activities. 

Also, I keep a junk email just for instances like this so I don't get annoying emails in my real email.  Unsubscribing is a good technique; however, in the US a lot of companies ignore that and we have no real recourse if they fill our mailbox -- or sell the email to some other company -- so the junk email address avoids this problem as well.

• Thanks 1

We recently booked a Perry Golf cruise for 2026.  Working with our usual TA, we booked our cabin (with the benefits provided by the TA) and then, booked one of us as a single for the Perry Golf portion.

It took an exploratory email or two and then one phone call (probably not necessary, but I valued the reassurance of speaking with a Perry Golf rep) and the reservations went through without a hitch.

It's a splurge for sure and I SO wish that Perry would permit a ride-along, non-golf spouse on a few of the courses, but, we're on the books and very happy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ithikan said:

We recently booked a Perry Golf cruise for 2026.  Working with our usual TA, we booked our cabin (with the benefits provided by the TA) and then, booked one of us as a single for the Perry Golf portion.

It took an exploratory email or two and then one phone call (probably not necessary, but I valued the reassurance of speaking with a Perry Golf rep) and the reservations went through without a hitch.

It's a splurge for sure and I SO wish that Perry would permit a ride-along, non-golf spouse on a few of the courses, but, we're on the books and very happy.

Thanks for providing your experience.

As you say, it's a splurge, so hoping "maybe" the cost for a couple is not quite double the single rate, but we don't expect much discount. I am surprised they don't provide at least some form of "ride-along" pricing for non-golfers as we typically see that on our land golf holidays with resort courses.

I get what you're saying about speaking with a rep at Perry Golf for that assurance. Maybe that is why I can't see any ability to quote or book the golf with Azamara direct or on-line TA sites (even though they flag the cruise as a Golf cruise).

One thing I am puzzled by though, is I can see "golf" cruises on Azamara (or on-line TA) that so not show up on Perry Golf website. In particular, there are cruises in the Caribbean labeled by Azamara as being a golf cruise, but no Caribbean cruises appear on Perry Golf site. 🤔

4 hours ago, rodndonna said:

Thanks - I think you are right and I may have to go that route for accurate quotes.

In the meantime - I have found a Youtube video where they are giving a figure of about $700/pp/per round which was about what I was guesstimating .. sadly $1000/pp/per round for us Canadians.

For now I can at least estimate - take the cruise cost total and then add $2000 (Can$) times the number of rounds of golf to the total. It definitely put it in the "one of splurge" experiences for us ... but at least we can ponder it....😊

Wow, at that cost you’d want plenty of hits to get good value! 

On a more serious note, if you clock some Perry golf dates and then go on the relevant “roll calls” there may be some supplementary information around the golf content that may be useful.

Regards

• Like 1

1 minute ago, royallondon said:

Wow, at that cost you’d want plenty of hits to get good value! 

On a more serious note, if you clock some Perry golf dates and then go on the relevant “roll calls” there may be some supplementary information around the golf content that may be useful.

Regards

Indeed - best not to just not think about "value" when it comes to "cruise" golfing  and why it would be a "one of" ... very hard to justify (even with my lackluster golf game allowing for plenty of shots!).

Never thought about the roll calls, that is a god idea and I will start stalking some of those.

5 hours ago, rodndonna said:

Never thought about the roll calls, that is a god idea and I will start stalking some of those.

You are welcome to read (stalk, as you say) –  but if you're not booked on the cruise you aren't supposed to post on the Roll Call.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You are welcome to read (stalk, as you say) –  but if you're not booked on the cruise you aren't supposed to post on the Roll Call.

Thanks - when did this guideline start as I can’t see it anywhere?

I can see the reason on one hand but there are so many good reasons not to have this restriction. For example people booked on a similar itinerary in the past sharing specific information or future bookers looking for it for the future; people on the previous or next cruise sharing or seeking information; local experts answering queries re transport and docking positions etc. Some things are very specific and in any event many people I meet at Meet and Mingle events only follow the roll calls. 

Can you clarify what is or isn’t permitted? I was about to help someone on a roll call asking for information about a port near here. I won’t post for now to avoid falling foul of what I didn’t know! 

• Like 10

Last October 2023, we did an Azamara Perry Golf cruise to France, Spain and Portugal. Four days of golf on a, I forget, but think it was a 10 day cruise. I talked to the Perry Golf people quite a bit, as I wanted to be assured of a cart. Perry Golf people are very responsive and will answer all your questions. You have to understand that they book all the tee times (some of which are at hard-to-get -into private clubs), transport your clubs to the course (in advance), transport you to the course where your clubs and cart are waiting for you (and then transport you and your clubs back to the ship, provide lunches and snacks and have several fun on- board events with your fellow golfers. We made friends with a couple that live near us  and we now play together quarterly, alternating hosting at our home courses. The trip's courses are often some distance from the port. If you were to try to do this all by yourself, it'd be quite tough. We thought it was worth every penny. This was our fourth Azamara cruise and our first Azamara/Perry Golf cruise. We'd definitely do another. We're going on Azamara again this October (Italy), but it is not a golf cruise.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pvkatmom said:

Last October 2023, we did an Azamara Perry Golf cruise to France, Spain and Portugal. Four days of golf on a, I forget, but think it was a 10 day cruise. I talked to the Perry Golf people quite a bit, as I wanted to be assured of a cart. Perry Golf people are very responsive and will answer all your questions. You have to understand that they book all the tee times (some of which are at hard-to-get -into private clubs), transport your clubs to the course (in advance), transport you to the course where your clubs and cart are waiting for you (and then transport you and your clubs back to the ship, provide lunches and snacks and have several fun on- board events with your fellow golfers. We made friends with a couple that live near us  and we now play together quarterly, alternating hosting at our home courses. The trip's courses are often some distance from the port. If you were to try to do this all by yourself, it'd be quite tough. We thought it was worth every penny. This was our fourth Azamara cruise and our first Azamara/Perry Golf cruise. We'd definitely do another. We're going on Azamara again this October (Italy), but it is not a golf cruise.

Thanks for sharing your experience. What you have described is why we think it might be worth the splurge 😎

Spain/Portugal or maybe elsewhere in the Med for a fall cruise (2026 or 2027) is where we are leaning.

15 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Thanks for sharing your experience. What you have described is why we think it might be worth the splurge 😎

Spain/Portugal or maybe elsewhere in the Med for a fall cruise (2026 or 2027) is where we are leaning.

I am a non golfer married to a golf agnostic. We’ve been on many cruises that have been Perry Golf events. We’ve never heard anything but their guests raving about their experience and how good the golf is/ how well they are looked after. 
We’ve also loved the company of that group of guests. It’s so professionally handled having the group enhances rather than detracts from everyone else’s experience. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, uktog said:

Thanks - when did this guideline start as I can’t see it anywhere?

I can see the reason on one hand but there are so many good reasons not to have this restriction. For example people booked on a similar itinerary in the past sharing specific information or future bookers looking for it for the future; people on the previous or next cruise sharing or seeking information; local experts answering queries re transport and docking positions etc. Some things are very specific and in any event many people I meet at Meet and Mingle events only follow the roll calls. 

Can you clarify what is or isn’t permitted? I was about to help someone on a roll call asking for information about a port near here. I won’t post for now to avoid falling foul of what I didn’t know! 

There have been recurring problems of posters hijacking Roll Calls.  Some with good intentions (having done a similar cruise and wanting to share their expertise, but not understanding limits) and some not.  I'm not sure where the rule is stated, but it has been verified to Hosts.  As to enforcement: since the purpose is to protect the Roll Call in its main purpose, minor violations (someone planning a similar cruise asking a question, or someone with expertise answering a question – emphasis on singular or small number) are usually ignored.  What you propose sounds acceptable.  But if someone on the Roll Call files a Report, the posts will at the minimum be removed and if the abuse is flagrant a GR will be given.  Sorry I can't be more specific than that.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

But if someone on the Roll Call files a Report, the posts will at the minimum be removed and if the abuse is flagrant a GR will be given

What’s a GR?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

There have been recurring problems of posters hijacking Roll Calls.  Some with good intentions (having done a similar cruise and wanting to share their expertise, but not understanding limits) and some not.  I'm not sure where the rule is stated, but it has been verified to Hosts.  As to enforcement: since the purpose is to protect the Roll Call in its main purpose, minor violations (someone planning a similar cruise asking a question, or someone with expertise answering a question – emphasis on singular or small number) are usually ignored.  What you propose sounds acceptable.  But if someone on the Roll Call files a Report, the posts will at the minimum be removed and if the abuse is flagrant a GR will be given.  Sorry I can't be more specific than that.

Thank you for the clarification. 
I don’t think the vagueness helps posters trying to keep within limits. I think this needs clearly defining and incorporating in the guidelines or forgotten about and existing rules about disruptive behaviour relied on to manage the occasional lapses. 
I think many were quite surprised by last nights post. Thanks for the communication 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

How do you know if someone is booked on a particular cruise or not do you have an inside track to someone's bookings?

Just now, Belfastman said:

How do you know if someone is booked on a particular cruise or not do you have an inside track to someone's bookings?

No we don't.  It becomes obvious from their postings.

21 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

What’s a GR?

Guideline Reminder.  Goes on your record, more GRs lead to stiffen penalties and ultimately to a lifetime ban (very rare, but I know of two).

I hope this will be my last post on this (off)topic.

Here are the Cruise Critic Guidelines:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/guidelines/

We all 'agreed' to them when we joined Cruise Critic, so it might be a good idea to read through them 😉

There is a general statement that "The above guidelines are not all inclusive."

The section on Roll Calls contains this statement: "ROLL CALLS are for people to get to know one another before their cruise."  [that is the hook for saying you should be booked before participating]

This is the section on Guideline Reminders (quoted in full):

Guideline Reminders

From time to time we may sent you a Guideline Reminder which is specific to an issue we have had with one of your postings. This reminder is for you to review the board guidelines that you agreed to when you became a member. A Guideline Reminder is a permanent part of your member profile that only you can see. Repeated board violations and Guideline Reminders may permanently restrict your access to the message board.

When you’re issued a Guideline Reminder, an e mail is sent to the email address you used when you registered here at Cruise Critic. It is your responsibility to make sure your email address is current. If you don’t know whether you received a Guideline Reminder, you can check your User Profile or spam folder. Be sure and add community@cruisecritic.com to your email application as an address that you will accept emails from.

If you have any other questions about the Guidelines, please write to community@cruisecritic.com

We now return you to the regularly scheduled program about Perry Golf...

Has anyone been on a theme cruise (like a golf cruise) but only because you wanted to be on the cruise and had no interest in the "theme?" Wondering how it would be to not be a part of that group. (One of the cruises I'm looking at is a golf cruise but I don't golf).

1 hour ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

Has anyone been on a theme cruise (like a golf cruise) but only because you wanted to be on the cruise and had no interest in the "theme?" Wondering how it would be to not be a part of that group. (One of the cruises I'm looking at is a golf cruise but I don't golf).

If you type "Perry" into the search for this forum (Azamara) you will find quite a few folks that had/have that same question (I tripped on them looking for Perry Golf info on this forum). The short answer seems to be that it has no negative impact and they are a very well behaved and managed group (I am biased as a golfer although that seemed to be the answer).

Not sure about other themes though ....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I think the next Azamara/Perry Golf cruise we go on would be one to some combination of Britain, Scotland and Ireland (All Perry Golf outings are great-- but I hear they really excel in that arena-- the company is run by a pair of Scottish brothers). Initially I looked into a cruise that had us seeing the British Open and also a choice of 3 or 6 golf outings. But only the option for 6 outings had availability and that was just a bit too much golf for me, as I also wanted to see castles, cities, etc. Also watching the British Open for two days held small appeal for me (I actually prefer watching golf on TV... I guess I could've doodled around Liverpool, rather than going both days-- but you're paying for it.) Anyway, that's how I ended up selecting the France Spain,Portugal trip with its 4 golf outings. We had driving sideways rain in Porto, Portugal (Estela Golf course) on one outing so only played 7 holes-- not Perry Golf's fault-- they can't control the weather. What they did do was scramble to get our buses to bring us back to the ship much earlier than scheduled and we all appreciated that. One of the highlights of our trip was playing at Seve Ballesteros' home course-- an hour and a half drive outside of Bilbao-- it was just stunning-- beautiful views and a lovely course.

Edited by pvkatmom
Forgot to add something
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

We were on a Perry Golf cruise Ireland Intensive 1 year ago. We are former golfers ourselves.  We would have loved to have met some golfers and heard about their “golfing adventures” in Ireland.

Our cruise was not impacted by the Perry Golf group in any way.  We hardly knew they were onboard except for embarkation day when we saw the “check in” for golfers in the Living Room in the front ( port side) as you enter where the big table is.  They are a small group and they blend in to the rest of the passengers onboard.  

I would not hesitate to book another cruise that had a Perry Golf group onboard.

Edited by takemewithyou
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We have been on a few Perry trips but are not golfers. Scotland, Ireland, US etc were our intenirary and they were great. Golf doesn't impact o  other passengers. Often only one in a couple golf. The golfers left early to play and sometimes had dinners together in the evening but joined in activities. Seemed very well organised and players were all delighted with their trip. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1