Princess “Formal” Nights

Wiseask

I will be sailing with Princess for the first time, though I am a veteran of many, many Celebrity cruises. The Princess website is quite specific regarding dress codes. My question is how strictly these codes are enforced. On Formal Nights, for example, the code is for men to wear either tuxedos or suits and ties. There will be three such nights on my upcoming Transatlantic crossing on the new Sun Princess.

I do understand that with the possible exception of the buffet restaurant, acceptable evening wear aboard most ships is what is generally called Smart Casual, meaning for men a shirt with a collar, slacks or nice jeans. But it’s been at least a decade since I was on a ship where tuxedos or suits were mentioned, much less required (though, of course, passengers were always welcome to dress up if they wished).

So perhaps some loyal Princess passengers can help answer my questions:

Is formal attire on Formal Nights strictly limited to specific dining venues, or does it apply to all dining venues except the buffet and maybe the casual dining restaurants? Is any part of the MDR open to passengers who are not dressed in formal attire on Formal Nights? Are any of the shows on Formal Nights restricted to passengers in formal attire? And finally, on Formal Nights if not dressed in formal attire, may I still have a drink at any of the many bars on board?

Many thanks. 

Formal nights are only for the MDR and you will see many around the ship and at specialty dining dressed how they would on casual nights.  Some people also dress for dinner and then go back and change back back to casual after eating. Others stay in their "formal wear" the entire night.  You will see various ideas on what formal is these days.

You will find Caribbean sailings to be much more casual in dress than European sailings.  Many will be dressed just ike they are for casual nights and then there will be some in suits.  On the Caribbean sailings I personally see very few tuxes. 

You can have a drink at any bar you wish dressed casually.  Again, there is not a dress code suggestion for anywhere other than the MDR. 

You will find that this is a touchy subject on these boards so be prepared to read so many differing opinions!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Well these answers will go on forever. Basically, nice clothing is nice to wear. Men, anything from slacks and nice shirt to full tux. Women nice clothing.

Very few in true formal wear. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Wiseask said:

I will be sailing with Princess for the first time, though I am a veteran of many, many Celebrity cruises. The Princess website is quite specific regarding dress codes. My question is how strictly these codes are enforced. On Formal Nights, for example, the code is for men to wear either tuxedos or suits and ties. There will be three such nights on my upcoming Transatlantic crossing on the new Sun Princess.

I do understand that with the possible exception of the buffet restaurant, acceptable evening wear aboard most ships is what is generally called Smart Casual, meaning for men a shirt with a collar, slacks or nice jeans. But it’s been at least a decade since I was on a ship where tuxedos or suits were mentioned, much less required (though, of course, passengers were always welcome to dress up if they wished).

Is formal attire on Formal Nights strictly limited to specific dining venues, or does it apply to all dining venues except the buffet and maybe the casual dining restaurants? Is any part of the MDR open to passengers who are not dressed in formal attire on Formal Nights? Are any of the shows on Formal Nights restricted to passengers in formal attire? And finally, on Formal Nights if not dressed in formal attire, may I still have a drink at any of the many bars on board?

Many thanks. 

We always eat in the MDR. No matter the evening I always wear dockers and a golf style shirts. My wife always wears slacks and a girly/fancy tops. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

While Princess has no special section of the MDR for those not wishing to dress formally, the specialty restaurants are always smart casual, as are the casual dining venues.  

But, I can honestly say that formal wear is never required in the MDR.  I’ve seen jeans or khakis, collared short sleeved shirts without a tie for men and capri pants and a nice top  for women.  One teenager always dressed as a pirate, even on formal night.  While we used to do the whole tux and ball gown nights on cruises, the dress code has really been relaxed quite a bit.  You can use elegant or casual sheik, as on Celebrity, as your guide and you will fit right in.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Basically as long as you have decent clothes on there are really no restrictions on formal night although you will see more suits and tuxes on those nights. I wear the same clothes regardless of night crew pants and button door shirt. The only people I have seen turned away we wearing shorts or ratty clothes and this varies ship to ship

Edited by memoak
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, memoak said:

Basically as long as you have decent clothes on there are really no restrictions on formal night although you will see more suits and tuxes on those nights. I wear the same clothes regardless of night crew pants and button door shirt. The only people I have seen turned away we wearing shorts or ratty clothes and this varies ship to ship

And, I’m quite sure you look dashing regardless of what you wear.  Some men can wear casual outfits and look like a million bucks.  Some, not so much and some others, well let’s just not comment. lol

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

And, I’m quite sure you look dashing regardless of what you wear.  Some men can wear casual outfits and look like a million bucks.  Some, not so much and some others, well let’s just not comment. lol

I am not sure dashing is the correct term but meat and clean for sure

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wiseask said:

My question is how strictly these codes are enforced. On Formal Nights

On Princess, it's as fromal or casual as you personally want to make it. No one will say a word no matter what you choose to wear. The days of formal or casual nights are long gone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wiseask said:

Many thanks. 

If you wear smart casual you will be entirely comfortable on formal night.  In reality, you will find the actual dress on formal nights to be comparable to Celebrity's "chic nights".   

I wish Princess would update their printed dress recommendations to reflect the current situation.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Some men and women can wear formal outfits and not look like a million bucks. Some not so much and some others, well lets just not comment. 😂

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, doghog said:

Some men and women can wear formal outfits and not look like a million bucks. Some not so much and some others, well lets just not comment. 😂

So true, but I give them “A” for effort.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

My experience on my two Princess sailings so far is that it is much like Celebrity (I have been on 7 Celebrity sailings). So long as men wear long pants and women don't show up in their swimsuits, you will be allowed into the MDRs on formal nights. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, 555 said:

On Princess, it's as fromal or casual as you personally want to make it. No one will say a word no matter what you choose to wear. The days of formal or casual nights are long gone. 

How about this?  🤪 

The Canadian Tuxedo | Brian HarPeru

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, cruisinsince75 said:

How about this?  🤪 

Was this your formal wear or casual wear? Did the staff let you in the MDR? 😅

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, cruisinsince75 said:

How about this?  🤪 

Figured deleting was the better path.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, doghog said:

Was this your formal wear or casual wear? Did the staff let you in the MDR? 😅

It was casual and no the staff wouldn't let me in.  So I went back to my stateroom and added my ruffled shirt and bow tie to make it formal.  🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, cruisinsince75 said:

It was casual and no the staff wouldn't let me in.  So I went back to my stateroom and added my ruffled shirt and bow tie to make it formal.  🤣

My man. 👊 😂 I should have realized it was formal evening  due to fact  you had a mixed drink in your hand and not a beer. 🤣🍻

• Like 2

I miss the days of formal wear on formal nights.  I chalk that up to airline policies re luggage, and costs.  But it is what it is.  And it's fine.  Anything goes, basically.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, ecs66 said:

I miss the days of formal wear on formal nights.  I chalk that up to airline policies re luggage, and costs.  But it is what it is.  And it's fine.  Anything goes, basically.

Airline luggage costs has nothing to do with our decision on what we pack. We have always taken three 26 inch checked luggage. We always stayed and still stay under the airline weight limits. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ecs66 said:

I used to enjoy formal night’s back in the day, but times change.  I think casual is fine with long pants and a nice collared shirt.  No tie, no jacket works just fine.  Here is where I get flamed each and every time.  Shorts and tshirts and ball caps are not appropriate in the MDR at dinner IMHO.

I’m wearing my fire retardant uniform, so have at it.  I’ve heard it all a thousand times before.  lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I used to enjoy formal night’s back in the day, but times change.  I think casual is fine with long pants and a nice collared shirt.  No tie, no jacket works just fine.  Here is where I get flamed each and every time.  Shorts and tshirts and ball caps are not appropriate in the MDR at dinner IMHO.

I’m wearing my fire retardant uniform, so have at it.  I’ve heard it all a thousand times before.  lol

Agree, after the first evening. Now if you could get the evening staff at the entrance to the MDR to agree with you after the first evening. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

👏👏👏👏👏

No flaming whatsoever ... 

We're in utter agreement with your statement.  

We stand in support!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1