First time on Aurora

In November we will be on Aurora to Portugal and the Canary Islands. It will be our sixth P&O cruise but our first time on Aurora. (4x Britannia, 1x Azura).  We do not fancy trying to bigger ships (they appear far too crowded for us).  Aurora looks much more our cup of tea.

I have a few of questions:

Is it correct that there is no virtual queue for restaurants on Aurora?

Is it easier to get a sunbed?

How does embarkation compare to the bigger ships?

1 minute ago, cruise saint said:

In November we will be on Aurora to Portugal and the Canary Islands. It will be our sixth P&O cruise but our first time on Aurora. (4x Britannia, 1x Azura).  We do not fancy trying to bigger ships (they appear far too crowded for us).  Aurora looks much more our cup of tea.

I would worry about a sunbed. We will be going to the Canaries in November and expect some warm weather when we arrive. We are going by air.

Aurora in our opinion is really good for space.  It has a good selection of lounges, seating areas inside and a lovely tiered stern with seating. 

It's a world away from Azura in terms of public spaces.  We always found It a problem to find space especially in the evenings on Azura.   On Aurora there is a play house (also used for films), alternative entertainment area, nightclub space and theatre as well as bars and lounges and Crow's Nest.  In relation to the number of passengers on board Aurora is by far more spacious and doesn't feel crowded. 

Last time we were on they were using the app for freedom dining and booking the theatre, Glass House etc but not sure if that's still the case.  Arcadia wasn't using it recently.  

Not one for sunbeds so can't say but I'd  be surprised if it's a big issue given the more spacious design of Aurora. I'm sure someone will be able to help with that.

Never found a problem re embarkation. Sometimes have to wait a while if you arrive very early but we've never had an issue. And of course they have fewer passengers to embark comparatively.

Making me feel nostalgic for Aurora - next two are on Arcadia and Britannia.  Best get looking - you've made me realise how much I like Aurora.  We're not into the all singing all dancing ships and (saying it very quietly) prefer the adults only ships so Aurora suits us very well.   Hope you enjoy it.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cruise saint said:

Aurora never feels very crowded. Can’t comment on sunbeds as we never use them.

The size of ship has little bearing on the speed of embarkation. We went on Iona last year, which felt very crowded, yet embarkation was a breeze and we were on the ship within 15 minutes of arrival. By contrast, due to a combination of CPS not having enough staff checking in cars and the terminal being disorganised, it took us 90 minutes from arrival to boarding the last time we were on Aurora, and that was with priority boarding! That cruise had a lot of higher loyalty tier passengers, so around half the passengers had ‘priority’ boarding which, in reality, meant that nobody did!

We were in fixed (Club) dining, having had some problems with queues for freedom dining on a previous cruise on Britannia, but I didn’t pick up on any horror stories regarding freedom. I don’t think that they use the app, which makes it better as there’s only one system (first come, first served). The problem on Britannia was that they used the app but it didn’t work well at all and resulted in very long waits, especially as they kept setting it to ‘Queue Full’ due to all the walk-up customers who were getting priority.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruise saint said:

We're probably on the same cruise.

None of the things you mention are an issue, that's why we booked Aurora. 

We've done this cruise at the same time of the year a couple of times before. Just hope that the weather holds up for the first couple of days travelling south and then for the return trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like all ships, the best spots for sunbeds get snapped up quickly, but never experienced the 'hogging' that happens on other ships. 

A more mature clientele are more conscious of being fair to other passengers. 

Have a great time. 

Andy 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Northeastcruiser007 said:

I've just disembarked Aurora today. No virtual queue for freedom dining but a physical queue seemed to start at least 35 minutes before doors opened, presumably with people wanting a table for two.

Oh yes, I’d forgotten the huge queue of folk wanting a very early dinner. We found that to be an amusing spectator sport whilst we enjoyed what, to us, was a mid afternoon cuppa in the coffee shop 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Thanks to everyone for the replies.  I'm not too bothered if they use the virtual queue tbh. I just think the MDR worked better on Britannia before it was introduced. 

• Like 1

I have never had a problem finding a sunbed on Aurora, although I do tend to sit away from the main pools and usually go forward and up to the next deck.  Always somewhere.

We also find those queues forming at 5pm absolutely ridiculous, but as we like second sitting anyway, it's only a minor amusement and doesn't affect us at all.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruise saint said:

You would worry about a sunbed? I take it they get snapped up quickly?

No problems at all finding a sun bed on Aurora, I am sure the previous comment was more about the location of your cruise and the fact it will be November, but will get busy under the retractable roof.  From that point of view, I agree.  Even if it is not stormy sailing from/to the UK in November, it will not be a "sit out on a sunbed in the open on sea days sort of cruise" and temperatures will not be that good on land either, until you are in the Canaries and not really hot there either.

Aurora is very different from the bigger ships, we really like her.  More peaceful altogether.  

• Like 1

Glad to read all the positive comments on this thread. We are sailing on Aurora for the first time next month to Norway & Iceland & chose Aurora because of the destinations. Previously sealed on Azura, Brittania & Iona (never again!) & had mixed experiences pre & post covid with Freedom Dining. Seems like Aurora will be less crowded & dinning queues shouldn't be a problem. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruise saint said:

Are there currently photographers on board Aurora?

Yes, but they are pretty low key.

I've just disembarked Aurora. There seemed to be two photographers. They didn't go round taking the usual embarkation photos, tours of the main restaurants, gangway photos in ports etc. On formal nights they offered the opportunity to have a photo taken at a fixed location. I didn't see any of the usual 'offers' in terms of pricing.

When we were in Sindhu, one of them came round and took photos. We were unlikely to buy one, but we had one taken anyway. The photos weren't printed and displayed, they were accessed on machines by inputting a cabin number.

We did look at ours, but didn't buy. They wanted £25 for what was nothing more than a hastily taken snap. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Norwayfan1 said:

Yes, but they are pretty low key.

I've just disembarked Aurora. There seemed to be two photographers. They didn't go round taking the usual embarkation photos, tours of the main restaurants, gangway photos in ports etc. On formal nights they offered the opportunity to have a photo taken at a fixed location. I didn't see any of the usual 'offers' in terms of pricing.

When we were in Sindhu, one of them came round and took photos. We were unlikely to buy one, but we had one taken anyway. The photos weren't printed and displayed, they were accessed on machines by inputting a cabin number.

We did look at ours, but didn't buy. They wanted £25 for what was nothing more than a hastily taken snap. 

Thanks. The photography is one area that has regressed badly since the pandemic. When we went to the Fjords last June on Britannia, in Olden the three photographers were too busy taking pics of each other to bother about the customers.

On 6/5/2024 at 8:50 PM, cruise saint said:

Thanks. The photography is one area that has regressed badly since the pandemic. When we went to the Fjords last June on Britannia, in Olden the three photographers were too busy taking pics of each other to bother about the customers.

I would see that as an improvement. There are few things more annoying than being constantly hassled by photographers, as used to happen.

• Like 3

On 6/4/2024 at 8:36 AM, JohnCoffield said:

Glad to read all the positive comments on this thread. We are sailing on Aurora for the first time next month to Norway & Iceland & chose Aurora because of the destinations. Previously sealed on Azura, Brittania & Iona (never again!) & had mixed experiences pre & post covid with Freedom Dining. Seems like Aurora will be less crowded & dinning queues shouldn't be a problem. 

We are sailing on Aurora next month to Norway and Iceland too, also our first time. Looking forward to a smaller ship.....

• Like 1

We are also on the Norway and Iceland voyage. Aurora is our favourite P&O ship, it’s our 12th time and 3rd for this itinerary. The scenery is stunning both in Norway and Iceland.

Aurora is a far more relaxed experience and having a drink in Anderson’s or the crow’s nest is special, for me anyway.

The only problem is my trip to Southampton is the M40 on British Gp day, we don’t have the option to travel the day or night before due to the son’s work. I will be looking forward to a beer or Two in champions on arrival. Hope all the newbies enjoy Aurora as much as we do.

2 hours ago, Magnu said:

We are also on the Norway and Iceland voyage. Aurora is our favourite P&O ship, it’s our 12th time and 3rd for this itinerary. The scenery is stunning both in Norway and Iceland.

Aurora is a far more relaxed experience and having a drink in Anderson’s or the crow’s nest is special, for me anyway.

The only problem is my trip to Southampton is the M40 on British Gp day, we don’t have the option to travel the day or night before due to the son’s work. I will be looking forward to a beer or Two in champions on arrival. Hope all the newbies enjoy Aurora as much as we do.

Good to hear you are a big fan of Aurora. Good luck with the travel on the M40 - you may also want to look at the roadworks on the A34 at Oxford as they have been causing problems.

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 9:58 PM, jh1809 said:

I would see that as an improvement. There are few things more annoying than being constantly hassled by photographers, as used to happen.

We were on RCI's Anthem Of The Seas from New Jersey to Southampton late April/early May & photographers were a real pain,at times they seemed to be everywhere!😵😵.

Mercifully absent on our cruise on Arcadia a year before

Edited by snaefell