Cruise ships push alcohol

Does anyone understand why the waiters push alcohol, e.g. wine at meals?  Even when the wine at meals is complementary, I and my friend have felt harassed about refusing a drink and then our nonalcoholic drink order never appears.  We have endured rude and pushy treatment over this and it draws everyone’s attention to you.  It’s not like you’re avoiding costs because with all the beverage packages and complimentary drinks included with my bookings, I would not be charged for the drink.  I do not disapprove of drinking.  I certainly did my fair share in the past and I envy rather than disapprove.  I cannot drink anymore and this issue has made me very uncomfortable on past cruises and I’m hoping it won’t be an issue on my upcoming Celebrity cruise.  Anybody have any idea on how to shut these people down?

Posted (edited)
Just now, Safari-Wom said:

Anybody have any idea on how to shut these people down?

I say 'No, thank you.'; seems to work.   Never experienced the problem(s) you're describing.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 2

Never experienced this, however ask them to remove the wine glasses from the table.  That would be a clear statement that you don't want any wine.

On our preferred cruise line, wine is included but if you refuse they immediately remove the wine glass and no one comes a calling after that....

It used to be if you didn’t want coffee, you turned your coffee cup upside down on the saucer.  I would do the same with the wine glass.  EM

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CDNPolar said:

Never experienced this, however ask them to remove the wine glasses from the table.  That would be a clear statement that you don't want any wine.

On our preferred cruise line, wine is included but if you refuse they immediately remove the wine glass and no one comes a calling after that....

I've been on Princess several times, Norwegian several times, and Carnival and Holland America once each. I've never had a waiter insist that I take a glass of wine. Once I've declined the first offer, the wine glasses have been removed, even when I've had a drinks package.

56 minutes ago, Safari-Wom said:

Does anyone understand why the waiters push alcohol, e.g. wine at meals?  Even when the wine at meals is complementary, I and my friend have felt harassed about refusing a drink and then our nonalcoholic drink order never appears.  We have endured rude and pushy treatment over this and it draws everyone’s attention to you.  It’s not like you’re avoiding costs because with all the beverage packages and complimentary drinks included with my bookings, I would not be charged for the drink.  I do not disapprove of drinking.  I certainly did my fair share in the past and I envy rather than disapprove.  I cannot drink anymore and this issue has made me very uncomfortable on past cruises and I’m hoping it won’t be an issue on my upcoming Celebrity cruise.  Anybody have any idea on how to shut these people down?

Like others, I've never had an issue with servers pushing drinks.  Typically, after the first offer, and my subsequent "no, thank you" the offer has never been repeated.

Posted (edited)

We just state simply, “No thanks, we don’t drink alcohol”.

Any reaction from anyone else after that is on them, not us.

(I would even find it amusing - and would likely state as much - if someone disapproved vocally of my choice).

Edited by tscoffey

38 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Like others, I've never had an issue with servers pushing drinks.  

Looks like my experiences with this have been unique.  I’m amazed. So, we can close this topic.

36 minutes ago, Safari-Wom said:

Looks like my experiences with this have been unique.  I’m amazed. So, we can close this topic.

Whoa.... not so fast!

There's still the issue of the non-alcoholic drinks not appearing in a timely fashion and what should be done to remedy/address this.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Whoa.... not so fast!

There's still the issue of the non-alcoholic drinks not appearing in a timely fashion and what should be done to remedy/address this.

That would be off topic for the OP's thread title and cause thread drift/hijacking.

From the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships: 

"Also disrupting to the Community is Thread hijacking which is the act of trying to steer a forum discussion thread off topic by discussing a subject entirely unrelated to the original topic..."

Therefore, per the OP's request in post #10 this thread is closed.