First Time In A Suite! Questions... Island Princess

Those of you who are "regulars" here on the Princess board know that I try to keep in touch as much as I can and help others.  Well...now I need *your* help!  We are not quite Elite (will hit that mark after the next 2 sailings that we've booked) but we have never sailed in a suite.  Well, I got a surprise email today from Princess that they had accepted my upgrade bid from a mini-suite to a Vista Suite (S6).  WooHoo! Now DW and I are *really* looking forward to this one. (Canada/New England later this month.)

Several question/observations.

1) I was under the impression that the insurance would go up since the fare went up.  My updated docs still show Platinum insurance...nothing's been said (so far at least) about additional insurance.  Is this normal?

2) This sailing is on the Island.  Deck plans show that there are 3 different categories of suites: Vista, Premium, & Penthouse.  I'm seeing all kinds of conflicting information from the various deck plan sites...one site basically says that all 3 are the same interior space (~400sqft) with what *looks* to be the same size balcony (wide with enough room for 2 loungers and a table & 4 chairs).  That just doesn't seem right.  I always thought that the higher the category, the bigger space you got?

3) Apologies!  I *know* this has been asked & answered...but thinking that I would *never* be in this scenario I always just breezed over the question/answer!  Do suite guests get laundry service or is that just when you hit Elite?

4) Any issues with the aft suites on Lido?  (Soot, peeping Toms from above...etc.?)

5) What about noise from the Teen Center?

Any and all comments, tips greatly appreciated!

If you look on the deck plans at Princess.com for the Island Princess, you can see the location and size of all the S6(Vista Suites). They do vary based upon location and deck. If you are unsure because the colors are similar, click on the individual cabin and it will tell you it’s category and size.

In most cases, cabin area is measured to include balcony.  So if the balcony is bigger, you will have a "larger" stateroom.  Regardless, balconies on this class ship will be much larger than those on the Royal Class ships.  

Enjoy your suite.  I think you made a "mistake".  Really hard to sail in anything lessor on your next voyages.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Enjoy your suite.  I think you made a "mistake".  Really hard to sail in anything lessor on your next voyages.

Yep…I’m afraid you might be right!

• Like 1

Wow congrats!

The aft suites on Island were added with the remodel, Vista suites are on Lido and Aloha and are partially covered.  We were in L724 on Lido and could see most of the balcony of the Aloha deck suites below us.

Photo of L724 balcony.  It is narrow with a table and 2 chairs and 1 lounger.  We didn't hear any noise from Teen Center - usually it was adults playing skeeball we heard as walking past.  The remaining Vistas on Caribe and Dolphin are the originals on the sides (plus they have whirlpool bath tubs  the new suites don't)

The Thermal Suite is included and for Lido suites - it is a short hallway away.  Also access to the gender specific sauna is just a bit further down the hall.

We got soot one time while in port - a lot of it.  Otherwise none.

DSC_0232.thumb.JPG.0d31e30890721841769facab1fd208bc.JPG

Soot

DSC_0308.thumb.JPG.e4cad99f1037e764266c20a43c01e5b3.JPG

Vista suite on the side  (D630) from 2017

DSC_0678.thumb.JPG.fe540beca762df3c6c7a7a87f35a6c22.JPGDSC_0677.thumb.JPG.2cebef2171c2aa9cf2ff8184184d35b8.JPG

• Like 1

The Island Princess does not have a concierge lounge so that suite benefit is a waste. The Island does not have an international cafe. The best perk you will definatly enjoy will be the club class/reserve class dining room. 

23 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

The Island Princess does not have a concierge lounge so that suite benefit is a waste. The Island does not have an international cafe. The best perk you will definatly enjoy will be the club class/reserve class dining room. 

Love the Reserve dining, no resers, just show up!

Plus: Suite Breakfast in Sabatini's!, same day laundry, fruit basket, mini-bar, embarkation champagne, 2 bottles of water, chocolate covered strawberries on formal nights, canapes daily, choose from MDR menu to be delivered to your stateroom.

• Like 2

We sailed on the Island last July in one of the corner suites on Lido.  I don’t remember any soot issues, in contrast to last week on the Sky.  There wasn’t any noise from the teen club, but we didn’t see many teenagers onboard either.  Lido is an odd deck. Only a few cabins.  There isn’t a laundry room on this deck. Sending laundry out took three days, but I should have stressed more that suites have priority.  So, yea, it’s included. 

Not sure about the different cabin sizes, 400 sq feet sounds about right except for the two larger suites, but the aft balconies on Lido were deeper than most other balconies. The aft was chopped up several years ago and just looks weird.  The corner suites have two separate balconies;  like I said, just weird. 

In order to reach the forward area on Lido;  the pools or the buffet, you have to either walk outside on the port side or go through the spa area. No problem unless you are sailing in a cool/rainy area.  But again, weird. 

We didn’t hear much noise from the Sanctuary one deck above either. 

No suite lounge. Supposedly there is a concierge,  though.  This position was new when we sailed and that person wasn’t very helpful. We did go to the Wheelhouse Bar for priority tenders and were on the first tender each time. You could get a speciality coffee to go at Sabatini’s in the morning, and go to Suite/Elite/Platinum Lounge in the Evenings.  Breakfast at Sabatini’s is a great perk. 

Be sure to review the pdf of suite perks.  Print it out and take it with you.  

Congratulations and enjoy. 

2 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Yes, the Concierge Lounge is a nice perk if you happen to be nearby, but it still won’t get me on a Royal/Sphere class ship anytime soon.  

You will get all the other perks.  Suite breakfast is the best way to start your day; way far above anything in Reserve Collection MDR.  

6 hours ago, milolii said:

We sailed on the Island last July in one of the corner suites on Lido.  I don’t remember any soot issues, in contrast to last week on the Sky.  There wasn’t any noise from the teen club, but we didn’t see many teenagers onboard either.  Lido is an odd deck. Only a few cabins.  There isn’t a laundry room on this deck. Sending laundry out took three days, but I should have stressed more that suites have priority.  So, yea, it’s included. 

Not sure about the different cabin sizes, 400 sq feet sounds about right except for the two larger suites, but the aft balconies on Lido were deeper than most other balconies. The aft was chopped up several years ago and just looks weird.  The corner suites have two separate balconies;  like I said, just weird. 

In order to reach the forward area on Lido;  the pools or the buffet, you have to either walk outside on the port side or go through the spa area. No problem unless you are sailing in a cool/rainy area.  But again, weird. 

We didn’t hear much noise from the Sanctuary one deck above either. 

No suite lounge. Supposedly there is a concierge,  though.  This position was new when we sailed and that person wasn’t very helpful. We did go to the Wheelhouse Bar for priority tenders and were on the first tender each time. You could get a speciality coffee to go at Sabatini’s in the morning, and go to Suite/Elite/Platinum Lounge in the Evenings.  Breakfast at Sabatini’s is a great perk. 

Be sure to review the pdf of suite perks.  Print it out and take it with you.  

Congratulations and enjoy. 

We have a corner suite next year B745 nice to hear no soot. Thanks

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Yep…I’m afraid you might be right!

We have a suite on Grand this year but looking forward to aft suite on this ship next year.  I know you will keep us posted.

Enjoy thus upgrade.

11 hours ago, Maira11 said:

You'll be Elite sooner, points if cruising in a suite count double🙂

Sorry, you will not receive two credits for getting an upgrade to a suite. Princess provides the following answer in its FAQ:

1. 16. Will I receive all the amenities of a Reserve Collection Mini Suite or a full suite if I am upgraded to such categories?
    Yes! You will receive all the amenities of the upgraded stateroom category. However, you will not receive double cruise credits for a full suite with the upgrade.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

In 8 days we will be sailing in a Vista Suite on the Island.  This is our first Princess cruise and the suite looked perfect for us.

2) From my research but of course not experience I concluded that the only difference between Vista and Premium was location and the "prime" locations were not really any better or worth the extra cost to me.  Vista met our needs perfectly so didn't really look at Penthouse

3} I have concluded that laundry service is free for a suite and usually a one day turn around so you do not have to use the washers/driers.  Really hope I am right.

5} I stayed away from aft Vista suites because the ones available when we were booking were near the kid/teen centers and I was worried about noise.  I have since been informed on this and other boards that noise was not a problem.

Again this is all from research not experience but I have a background in planning and analysis so I hope I am right.  Will know soon.

Happy sailing

Edited by Goofyisme
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

Sorry, you will not receive two credits for getting an upgrade to a suite. Princess provides the following answer in its FAQ:

1. 16. Will I receive all the amenities of a Reserve Collection Mini Suite or a full suite if I am upgraded to such categories?
    Yes! You will receive all the amenities of the upgraded stateroom category. However, you will not receive double cruise credits for a full suite with the upgrade.

Oh, I am sorry for misinforming Op, and thank you for clarifying! It would of been nice though:)

On 6/6/2024 at 8:42 AM, Goofyisme said:

In 8 days we will be sailing in a Vista Suite on the Island.  This is our first Princess cruise and the suite looked perfect for us.

2) From my research but of course not experience I concluded that the only difference between Vista and Premium was location and the "prime" locations were not really any better or worth the extra cost to me.  Vista met our needs perfectly so didn't really look at Penthouse

3} I have concluded that laundry service is free for a suite and usually a one day turn around so you do not have to use the washers/driers.  Really hope I am right.

5} I stayed away from aft Vista suites because the ones available when we were booking were near the kid/teen centers and I was worried about noise.  I have since been informed on this and other boards that noise was not a problem.

Again this is all from research not experience but I have a background in planning and analysis so I hope I am right.  Will know soon.

Happy sailing

Yes laundry service is free in full suites and gets priority. We usually put it out 9am or so and it comes back the same day. Be aware that everything goes in at the same temp. If you have delicates you  may want to do your own

• Like 2

2 hours ago, memoak said:

Yes laundry service is free in full suites and gets priority. We usually put it out 9am or so and it comes back the same day. Be aware that everything goes in at the same temp. If you have delicates you  may want to do your own

Thanks for the info