"Official" chairhogging on Vista

11 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@njhorseman Your point is well taken.  Therefore when we find a brand that provides the approach to cruising we want, has an Itinerary we want at a time, that we want to go, we book it. When that brand changes their approach and some of things we liked get lost or changed, we have to reevaluate future bookings. Our money, our choice. 

In my humble opinion this is why there are so many brands that go to the same places.  A great example is Oceania.  I choose them because I did not like all the items provided by Regent Seven Seas that made their price so very high.  Items I would not use and therefor was a waste.  Lost value and money to me.  So I choose the sister company Oceania.  Then Oceana changed their approach not to be as much as a "A La carte" cruise line by bringing in Simply More.  

Some folks loved it, some likes it, other did not like and some hated it.  The ones that hated it or did not like it simply moved on to another brand.  But not before the complaints as if they owned the company and how upset they were that the company that they were loyal to let them down. And that like this topic and pages of talk about chair hogs is a venue called Social Media.  

I like everyone else have an opinion.  If the brand changes and you don't see the value, leave.  No fanfare needed.  Simply find a better brand for you and be happy.  Your money, your decision.  The brand can't please everyone every time. Brand loyalty does not mean when the brand does not suit you needs any more. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

One luxury cruise brand has taken an interesting approach to try and please a diversity of passenger preferences. Silversea now offers 3 different cruise options- door to door which includes everything including air and transfers; port to port which does not include air and transfers; and essential which does not include air, transfers and excursions. This approach, arrived at after much criticism from loyal passengers, has won me back as a customer. In contrast, I stopped sailing with Regent some 10 years. The bottom line here is that luxury lines don’t need to offer one size fits all — choice is wonderful!

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

One luxury cruise brand has taken an interesting approach to try and please a diversity of passenger preferences. Silversea now offers 3 different cruise options- door to door which includes everything including air and transfers; port to port which does not include air and transfers; and essential which does not include air, transfers and excursions. This approach, arrived at after much criticism from loyal passengers, has won me back as a customer. In contrast, I stopped sailing with Regent some 10 years. The bottom line here is that luxury lines don’t need to offer one size fits all — choice is wonderful!

And yet some of the old timer Silversea customers are still saying they won't sail with them again particularly with the move to a more 'casual' dress code and increase in cost of La Dame and Kaiseki especially considering how much SS charge in the first place😜😂

I have never been loyal to a brand - I like SB, RSSC & O and will be trying the Silver Nova early next year. I agree with you about choice. For me it's destination followed by cost/value that factors in my decision. I like gratuities and drinks included. Not bothered about tours in Europe but like them for the more exotic/risky destinations. I haven't yet been on a cruise I didn't, overall, enjoy even if there were one or two bumps in the road.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

And yet some of the old timer Silversea customers are still saying they won't sail with them again particularly with the move to a more 'casual' dress code and increase in cost of La Dame and Kaiseki especially considering how much SS charge in the first place😜😂

I have never been loyal to a brand - I like SB, RSSC & O and will be trying the Silver Nova early next year. I agree with you about choice. For me it's destination followed by cost/value that factors in my decision. I like gratuities and drinks included. Not bothered about tours in Europe but like them for the more exotic/risky destinations. I haven't yet been on a cruise I didn't, overall, enjoy even if there were one or two bumps in the road.

Yes, some of the longterm SS customers still have concerns. Dress code - not an issue for me. Increased cost for specialty restos - an irritant I avoid as I have that choice. Like you, I have no favourite cruise line. I set my expectations accordingly, and try to enjoy what each line does best. I really like trying new lines like Explora which impressed me. Trying Emerald Yachts in February. And O after that. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chewbecca said:

Do the R class ships have the same chair hog problem or is it mainly a Vista issue?

We haven't sailed O for quite a long time and last time was Alaska anyway!

All the ships have this problem when the weather is nice. As for the two of us, we are old enough to have decided that we will not tolerate childish behavior and will not reward it. We have no qualms with moving items from loungers that have been "left behind" for more than 15 minutes. We know some folks do not have issues about this and other concerns, but we all have every right to enjoy the cruise we have purchased. All this being said, we do not often spend much time at the pool.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, clo said:

I hope you have or will write to Oceania and share this. It's really good. And thanks for sharing it here.

Cloris, you do realize that the decision makers at Oceania were well aware that some of their current customers have this mindset when they made the Simply More decision?

They weigh what they will lose vs what they will gain. They're not idiots operating in a vacuum. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ORV said:

Cloris, you do realize that the decision makers at Oceania were well aware that some of their current customers have this mindset when they made the Simply More decision?

They weigh what they will lose vs what they will gain. They're not idiots operating in a vacuum. 

You may have noticed that I speak up! Especially when I think/know that something is wrong. How many hundreds of thousands would it take to make a difference? How many die-hard O customers could write and then leave the line?

PS: Like my new name 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here’s O’s description & instructions re Vista’s pool deck that I’ve copied from brochure in my blue envelope for August cruise. Note that they state items will be removed by staff if passenger isn’t present. Now they just need to follow their own rules.

IMG_0553.thumb.jpeg.88fd01eb93e1eaf5526c5df2439c4072.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

12 minutes ago, Vertygo said:

Here’s O’s description & instructions re Vista’s pool deck that I’ve copied from brochure in my blue envelope for August cruise. Note that they state items will be removed by staff if passenger isn’t present. Now they just need to follow their own rules.

Had same wording in our non blue envelope package for our Sirena cruise in January.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Vertygo said:

I think that would give a passenger more than a tiny bit of permission to call it to the attention of staff and ask that it be moved.

• Like 2

On 6/6/2024 at 3:31 PM, edgee said:

No enforcement sadly. From the highest level of NCLH the word has come down, apparently from the legal department, that guests' stuff on chairs cannot be touched by crew members. So, for now, the pool anti chair hogging "rules" are really just a request. Has to do with a guest legal action against NCLH for crew damaging valuables left too long on a pool lounger. Was told this by a hotel manager on my last O cruise earlier this year.

39 minutes ago, Vertygo said:

Somehow these two things are at loggerheads with each other. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, ORV said:

Somehow these two things are at loggerheads with each other. 

Agree, but would not be the first time Oceania has sent mixed signals to guests! 🙄

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Thank you to everyone who supported my comment on this topic # 11, both here and by emailing me.

I totally agree with the poster who said, it is in the deeds not the talk.

Of course no one wants to do battle with chair hogs or crass tippers who openly tip to get their chairs, their food brought to the table at buffet, or talk about how they took their stateroom attendants to the ship store to buy them a wardrobe. These people have spoiled the intent of included gratuities and created a competitive atmosphere for crew and staff.

Stop it, people.

I will do my best when I see it to comment. 

Of course everyone knows the responses that will generate.

Edited by jonthomas
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2024 at 2:18 PM, Vertygo said:

This great, except unless "O" enforces the rule--the rule doesn't matter.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2024 at 6:25 PM, edgee said:

Agree, but would not be the first time Oceania has sent mixed signals to guests! 🙄

Frankly, I don't see why removing personal items from a pool chair in international waters would have any legal impact back on land in the USA. I'm guessing the hotel director is a bad communicator or misunderstood the directive from HQ,

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

Frankly, I don't see why removing personal items from a pool chair in international waters would have any legal impact back on land in the USA. I'm guessing the hotel director is a bad communicator or misunderstood the directive from HQ,

No, the hotel director is Oceania's most senior hotel director, moving on from Vista to open up Allura. He knows exactly what the message is from corporate. Your international waters argument makes sense, but does not stop a few Miami based lawyers who make a living suing cruise lines and getting settlements.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, edgee said:

No, the hotel director is Oceania's most senior hotel director, moving on from Vista to open up Allura. He knows exactly what the message is from corporate. Your international waters argument makes sense, but does not stop a few Miami based lawyers who make a living suing cruise lines and getting settlements.

The concept of a lawsuit for removing personal items from a pool chair is nothing less than nonsensical. Pay a Lawyer for a non- jurisdictional suit that at most if successful would result in a $500 award. If there is anyone out there that believes this I have beachfront land in Salvador for sale.

Edited by commodoredave
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

The concept of a lawsuit for removing personal items from a pool chair is nothing less than nonsensical. Pay a Lawyer for a non- jurisdictional suit that at most if successful would result in a $500 award. If there is anyone out there that believes this I have beachfront land in Salvador for sale.

I believe the cruise director when he says that NCLH legal department has spoken. The reason they gave to senior management and passed down through the ranks is what it is. Agree that it is a crock, but believe he is passing down the message accurately and that is the way the company will operate regarding this matter. Yet they continue to pass on printed policies that say they will take action regarding chair hoggers' stuff, even though they won't.

3 minutes ago, edgee said:

I believe the cruise director when he says that NCLH legal department has spoken. The reason they gave to senior management and passed down through the ranks is what it is. Agree that it is a crock, but believe he is passing down the message accurately and that is the way the company will operate regarding this matter. Yet they continue to pass on printed policies that say they will take action regarding chair hoggers' stuff, even though they won't.

It would be interesting to see if any recent cruisers have had any experience with the pool chair policy enforcement or not. It has been enforced on other luxury lines I have sailed with, but only after request. Is O an outlier or the mainstream?

• Like 1

On 6/9/2024 at 2:39 PM, goletans said:

All the ships have this problem when the weather is nice. As for the two of us, we are old enough to have decided that we will not tolerate childish behavior and will not reward it. We have no qualms with moving items from loungers that have been "left behind" for more than 15 minutes. We know some folks do not have issues about this and other concerns, but we all have every right to enjoy the cruise we have purchased. All this being said, we do not often spend much time at the pool.

Chair hogging: Much ado about something easily fixable. I believe that goletans’ solution is fast and simple, as long as the ship has a no-hogging policy. When chairs are abandoned, help enforce the policy by removing the stuff, and sitting down. It would then be hilarious to see someone attempt to remove me, a 75 year old man, from a lounge chair. When I go away, they can have it back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2