Flying to Southampton

We have some cruises out of Southampton coming up next year, and I have no real desire to go through any of the London airports. Has anyone here flown into and out of Southampton airport? If so, what was the experience like?

Posted (edited)

That's my main way of getting to Southampton, though I also fly to Heathrow Terminal 5 if the flight times are poor.

It's a small, fairly basic airport, with only 9 gates, 3 baggage reclaim belts, and limited facilties. There is a small executive lounge, The Spitfire, for departing passengers, available on Priority Pass and KLM's and British Airways business class fares.

Getting to the Southampton cruise terminals is fairly quick, 30 minutes all told. I personally take the train from the airport station to Southampton Central, then walk to Mayflower or take a £8 taxi from the station. But you can take a taxi from the airport to Mayflower for £25 or so. The station is very close to the airport terminal. If arriving domestically you can get from aircraft to train in well under 10 minutes. 

Edited by Pushpit

I have flown in and out of Southampton and if LHR is to be avoided and S'ton is an alternative then go for it. The airport is 'petit' but perfectly functional. In other words, it's an airport and it works. 🙂

My advice though would be to take a cab there and back. Saves any hassle.

As someone who hates flying, Southampton is one of the very few airports I might use. It is small, very close to the station, which you can reach under cover except for crossing the road, has (they claim) rapid security, is not a shopping mall, and has an agreeable bar/café from which you can watch the planes. And who wouldn’t want to take off from the runway where the Spitfire made its first flight?

Southampton is a fantastic airport, would highly recommend. If you do elect to get a taxi then would advise getting a taxi (or Uber) from the station rather than the airport. Will save you a LOT of cash and it’s literally a 2 minute walk.

I definitely recommend flying into/out of Southampton if you can. It's small enough that it never really develops any significant delays, and has all the essentials.

Unfortunately, there are no flights from anywhere near me, so I'm left with the train or the coach, each of which is its own special variety of hell. Nothing quite kills the cruise happiness like being dumped at a grotty motorway service station, or being rammed into a train vestibule with people standing on your toes.

If you want to fly into Southampton from the US you don't have many options.  You need to look at KLM (changing in Amsterdam) or Air France (changing in Paris).  You need to weigh up the ease of using Southampton with the extra hassle of a transfer at either AMS or CDG.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Southampton only handled about 750,000 passenger last year, a large drop from the 2m plus pre covid thanks to the failure of a major airline, flybe.

Whilst you may want to avoid London airports you will need to transit a major hub to then fly to Southampton.  Dublin would be my choice as its not huge and transfers are easy.

16 minutes ago, sddsddean said:

Another way to do it from Canada/US, is fly into Dublin and change. I think KLM do this and Aer Lingus.

Simon

I can testify to the Aer Lingus connection although when we did it they had only two flights per day, at very inconvenient times. So inconvenient that we decided we might as well spend a few days in Dublin between flights.

1 hour ago, Island2Dweller said:

If you want to fly into Southampton from the US you don't have many options.  You need to look at KLM (changing in Amsterdam) or Air France (changing in Paris).  You need to weigh up the ease of using Southampton with the extra hassle of a transfer at either AMS or CDG.

34 minutes ago, sddsddean said:

Another way to do it from Canada/US, is fly into Dublin and change. I think KLM do this and Aer Lingus.

As far as I can see, there are at present no network airline flights between Paris and Southampton. So that leaves Amsterdam and Dublin as the main options for such a connection. (It might be possible to magic up a creative routing via Belfast, Edinburgh or Glasgow, but maybe not at realistically competitive fares.)

But Amsterdam <--> Southampton is only flown about once a day, and Dublin <--> Southampton is about twice a day. So depending on precise timetables, there could be a lot of sitting around somewhere. And there's a much greater risk of taking a 24-hour delay than there would be if you were to fly to Heathrow, because of the options for re-routing around the network or even over some other network. However aggravating one may find Heathrow, this could easily become a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

12 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

Has anyone here flown into and out of Southampton airport? If so, what was the experience like?

Always a very easy and straightforward experience, according to my nephew. When he was at university at Bournemouth, he used to use the airport on occasions when flights seemed a value for money alternative to the train (or driving). Obviously depends on what route you want to fly.

13 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

We have some cruises out of Southampton coming up next year, and I have no real desire to go through any of the London airports. Has anyone here flown into and out of Southampton airport? If so, what was the experience like?

You can't fly directly to Southampton airport from Canada. Where would you fly into? There are flights from Amsterdam and Paris, but the other destinations wouldn't be accessible directly.

31 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

As far as I can see, there are at present no network airline flights between Paris and Southampton.

But Amsterdam <--> Southampton is only flown about once a day, and Dublin <--> Southampton is about twice a day.

One direct flight (Eastern) to Paris CDG most days, two direct flights to Dublin & Amsterdam most days. But timings aren't great for cruisers.

Southampton is a very easy, friendly and laid-back provincial airport, very different to the big over-crowded zoos. A single terminal with coffee shop, meals, bar, etc. Departure lounges immediately off the main hall, aircraft a few feet from departure lounges. No long lines for immigration or security.

Southampton Parkway train station ( ten-minute ride costing pennies, 3 trains per hour) is just a few steps from the terminal - or a 20 - 25-minute 8 mile drive from the cruise terminals about £25

Great for direct flights to a number of domestic & European destinations.

And other domestic & European destinations from Bournemouth airport, about 25 miles away (pre-booked private transfer, or train or bus plus taxi)

But no long-haul flights from either. 

The complication, cost, and total journey time of using SOU or BOH  and a European hub make them a poor second to direct trans-Atlantic flights from London's Heathrow or Gatwick - but ideal if you want to stop over to visit elsewhere in the UK or Europe

Just MHO as always

JB 🙂

13 minutes ago, John Bull said:

One direct flight (Eastern) to Paris CDG most days ...

Which is why I said "no network airline flights between Paris and Southampton". I can't find a way of buying a through ticket with a connection in Paris. Buying two separate tickets incurs another layer of hassle and risk.

1 hour ago, Globaliser said:

Which is why I said "no network airline flights between Paris and Southampton". I can't find a way of buying a through ticket with a connection in Paris. Buying two separate tickets incurs another layer of hassle and risk.

Now you've gone all technical on me, G. 🤔

I read your post as "no direct flights" between Southampton & Paris - and I suspect that other un-savvy infrequent fliers would have read it the same way. 😏

But now we all know 🙂

JB 🙂

Our plan is to spend a few days in Amsterdam before hopping over. The timings of the flights require an overnight in Southampton on the outbound and an overnight in either Sathampton or Amsterdam on the return, but I'm not worried about those.

1 hour ago, Island2Dweller said:

The Eastern flight can be bought as a through Air France itinerary, they do interline

If they can, then that changes things. But I couldn't find any through itineraries to any of a number of North American destinations that would be "usual suspects" for SkyTeam.

On 6/10/2024 at 8:42 AM, Wonky said:

Southampton is a fantastic airport, would highly recommend. If you do elect to get a taxi then would advise getting a taxi (or Uber) from the station rather than the airport. Will save you a LOT of cash and it’s literally a 2 minute walk.

Is there an airport surcharge or something?

I'm flying into Southampton in August and was just going to get a taxi to the Ibis. Should I rethink my strategy?

The airport taxi operator charges a huge surcharge. Just take a 2 min walk over to the station and pick one up from there or book one to pick you up from the station (Southampton airport Parkway). If booking one to pick you up get them to pick you up from the Southbound side so you don’t have to go over the bridge.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Is there an airport surcharge or something?

I'm flying into Southampton in August and was just going to get a taxi to the Ibis. Should I rethink my strategy?

You don't need a taxi 🙂

Southampton Parkway/Airport  train station is 100 yards from the airport arrivals hall.

You don't even have to cross to the opposite platform. Ticket machines on the platform, under £5 pp.  2 - 3 trains per hour.

10 minute journey to Southampton Central station 

Again, you're on the right side of the station, exit direct from the platform - you'll see IBIS in red on its roof - 5 minute walk.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/VRXCUZo4Lj6mn4Hv

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, John Bull said:

You don't need a taxi

24 minutes ago, John Bull said:

10 minute journey to Southampton Central station

That's all fine if you want to stay at Southampton Central Station, but I don't think that's a destination for most people. If you actually want to get to a hotel or anywhere else reasonable, you will need some sort of ride. As an example, from the airport to the Harbour Hotel, it's 40-48 minutes by rail/bus/walk or 15 minutes by car. To the pier is similar.

32 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

That's all fine if you want to stay at Southampton Central Station, but I don't think that's a destination for most people. If you actually want to get to a hotel or anywhere else reasonable, you will need some sort of ride

FionaMG is staying at the Ibis which is very close to the station, despite that not fitting your definition of reasonable, hence JB’s suggestion….

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mahasamatman said:

That's all fine if you want to stay at Southampton Central Station, but I don't think that's a destination for most people. If you actually want to get to a hotel or anywhere else reasonable, you will need some sort of ride. As an example, from the airport to the Harbour Hotel, it's 40-48 minutes by rail/bus/walk or 15 minutes by car. To the pier is similar.

@FionaMG is staying at the Ibis Hotel, almost-opposite the station - taking a taxi there is more than twice as far as walking !!

The Harbour Hotel is in a very pleasant setting but inconvenient for the city centre and most of the cruise terminals, and even more inconvenient from the station - walking would take over half an hour, a taxi would take little more than 5 minutes.

JB 🙂

• Like 1