QM2 making a “U” turn

Millieloulou

15 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

, but try and be patient and expect the worst.

This literally made me laugh out loud. My sister uses a mobility scooter so in our experiences cruising it can sometimes “come in handy”. We always joke about that. We’ll see and our cases are overstuffed with patience. 

I will post a trip review in a few days but I wanted to post immediately on what an excellent job the Cunard staff did this morning on disembarkation. They were well organized with plenty of staff organizing the various Que. There was ongoing communication even to the point of how many passport control agents were in the terminal (14). We docked and  tied up at about 10:20AM and cleared Customs at 10:58. WELL DONE CUNARD!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

I will post a trip review in a few days but I wanted to post immediately on what an excellent job the Cunard staff did this morning on disembarkation. They were well organized with plenty of staff organizing the various Que. There was ongoing communication even to the point of how many passport control agents were in the terminal (14). We docked and  tied up at about 10:20AM and cleared Customs at 10:58. WELL DONE CUNARD!

That is excellent to hear - and a tiny bit surprising. 😀

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

So great to hear! Looking forward to your trip report. Safe onward travels. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

My son (first Cunard voyage) is on this sailing. I told him to head to the Golden Lion for lunch.

With the delayed boarding today, do you have any idea what time the pub serves food until (usually it's 1 - 4 o'clock on embarkation day). 

On board now. We were originally assigned a 2:00pm arrival time. The two hour adjustment meant we were requested to arrive at 4:00pm. My plan was to arrive around 3:30pm via the NYC Ferry. Because of long queues and delays on the ferry we actually arrived at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal at 4:15pm. It took 45 minutes to get through security at that point and another 35 minutes in the priority check-in queue. So, all-in-all it wasn't too bad of a check-in experience today. We've had worse experienes in the past in Brooklyn for sure. Now it's time to sit back and relax for the next 14 nights on board QM2 to Southampton and back to New York.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

On board now. We were originally assigned a 2:00pm arrival time. The two hour adjustment meant we were requested to arrive at 4:00pm. My plan was to arrive around 3:30pm via the NYC Ferry. Because of long queues and delays on the ferry we actually arrived at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal at 4:15pm. It took 45 minutes to get through security at that point and another 35 minutes in the priority check-in queue. So, all-in-all it wasn't too bad of a check-in experience today. We've had worse experienes in the past in Brooklyn for sure. Now it's time to sit back and relax for the next 14 nights on board QM2 to Southampton and back to New York.

BON VOYAGE, John!

We have someone on board with you and they said it was a loooong day.....

Enjoy....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

you should get your first look at QA on 23rd as you berth on QE2 terminal lwith QA on Mayflower

either on arrival if lucky or if QA departs before QM2

5 hours ago, sogne said:

you should get your first look at QA on 23rd as you berth on QE2 terminal lwith QA on Mayflower

either on arrival if lucky or if QA departs before QM2

Very much looking forward to the first meeting of QA and QM2 in Southampton on 23rd June.

Available itineraries indicate QA will be arriving at 6:00am (at Mayflower) while QM2 will be arriving at 6:30am (at QEII). So perhaps that won't pass each other on the way in. Likewise, QM2 may be departing at 5:00pm and QA at 6:00pm.

Nevertheless, I will endeavor to get a good look at QA that day while both ships are in Southampton.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Very much looking forward to the first meeting of QA and QM2 in Southampton on 23rd June.

Available itineraries indicate QA will be arriving at 6:00am (at Mayflower) while QM2 will be arriving at 6:30am (at QEII). So perhaps that won't pass each other on the way in. Likewise, QM2 may be departing at 5:00pm and QA at 6:00pm.

Nevertheless, I will endeavor to get a good look at QA that day while both ships are in Southampton.

Usually Mayflower arrivals go first.

. hopefully we will leave before you

• 2 weeks later...

Just getting back into my routine after debarking QM2 last Sunday in Soto. All in all two wonderful weeks on board my favorite ship- a review will follow shortly.

The only strange happening really was this driffting for 8 or so hours in the midst of the Atlantic Ocean.

Some things I am sill wondering about. We have been in the middle of the Atlantic- looking out of our balcony - just when the ship stopped, we ( and many others) saw three lights in the not to far distance- two white lights- looked like postion lights of ships. One bright red light- very bright red. No explanation for that- also " Why an U- Turn" to stopp the ship? Was the last to get out of the way for other ship traffic? Well - not that we saw so many ships passing during the crossing. If anyone has any ideas... !

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

just when the ship stopped, we ( and many others) saw three lights in the not to far distance- two white lights- looked like postion lights of ships. One bright red light- very bright red. No explanation for that- also " Why an U- Turn" to stopp the ship?

Germancruiser,

I also looked out of our sheltered balcony opening shortly after the shipped stopped but only saw fog. We were on the port side of the QM2 and had a narrower field of view than those with a glass fronted balcony. As to the U-turn, I believe that had more to due with the ocean current at that point, which I think flows west to east, therefore pushing us "backwards". We did travel back to the east a significant distance. Looking at the map on channel 45 on the in-cabin TV, i'm guessing 20 miles or more. 

Jack

• Like 2