Review: QM2 TA - June 9th to 15th

*Miss G*

9 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Goodnight and goodbye, England:

IMG_9556.thumb.jpeg.cd3ba3f2d326a1b839a50925d6d4bb46.jpeg

Gorgeous photo!! I am on the edge of my seat waiting for your posts and ever more counting down the days until our sailing in August!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

Last night I decided to have breakfast in bed.  The earliest time it can be delivered is 7:00am, so that’s what I chose.  After putting out the card, I thought “Hey, wait a minute. 7:00am will be 6:00am.”  I retrieved the card and changed delivery time to 8:00am, thinking that would give me a ship time of 7:00am.

Wrong.

I pick up the phone at 5:30am and call Room Service, cancel breakfast, and have coffee sent up instead.  Not 5 minutes had passed when my coffee arrived.  Yay!

IMG_9565.thumb.jpeg.d7fe1dad2d93c5bb25bb6be0f4ecc436.jpeg

Not so fast.  Although it looks pretty, it tastes awful.  Maybe if I add cream?  Well that didn’t work.  Let’s try adding sugar.  No… now it tastes like sweet blech.  I try adding a sachet of instant coffee to give it a boost.  Well that didn’t work, either.  Out of ideas, I learn my lesson.  No more room service coffee for me. 

Thank you ... I'm also a coffee drinker.  On that topic, What is the quality of the coffee on-board:

- from the self-service in-room coffee?  I believe they provide instant coffee sachets in every cabin and a kettle?  have you tried that coffee?

- from the Lido buffet area - there is a 24/7 coffee machine?  Is that coffee better than the in-room coffee?

Posted (edited)

Thank you for all your kind comments!  I am so happy you are enjoying it.

DAY TWO CONTINUED…

Good morning, Celtic Sea.

IMG_9577.thumb.jpeg.a918c18b69e35ded4c289d48158511f2.jpeg

Today, I try the Britannia Restaurant for breakfast.  I do not get The Dream Team, nor do I get a private table.  Despite the fact that I am next to the serving station, I appear to be invisible.  A number of tables arriving after me are served before me.  I twiddle my thumbs.  Suddenly, my cloak of invisibility disappears and I now have service!  My over-easy eggs arrive cold and hard and I realize breakfast at the Britannia is not for me.  That’s okay, because there are options.

Cold breakfast finished, I head out for a walk.

IMG_9587.thumb.jpeg.f3bb968d4d7f089b618ec18b6d170ee3.jpeg

Back inside, I check the deck plans and decide to find Illuminations.  This is where I would have come to see the planetarium show, had there been one.  I had been excited to discover this venue until I learned it was out of commission.  Oh well.  Maybe next time.

IMG_9582.thumb.jpeg.383b3ea1d3f8427d32eca5a43a40bd60.jpeg

As it turns out, three months of continuous travel (I had been traveling prior to traveling) will catch up to you and at some point and you will crash.

Today was the day.  It was also the day for the Red and Gold Ball.  I slept right through it.  At 10:00pm I call for room service.  The line is busy and they are not accepting new calls.  I guess I am not the only one to miss the ball.  

We can’t all be Cinderella, so I call again at 10:30.  It rang for 10 minutes before someone picked up.  I am okay with that.  I know I am not the only person on this ship.  It does not take long for them to deliver my tomato basil soup and the green coconut curry chicken.  Again, it arrives steaming hot!  This galley is impressive.  

Meal consumed (well, as much as I can) and it is time to turn in.  I blame the bed-of-cloud.  

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Kordy said:

Thank you ... I'm also a coffee drinker.  On that topic, What is the quality of the coffee on-board:

- from the self-service in-room coffee?  I believe they provide instant coffee sachets in every cabin and a kettle?  have you tried that coffee?

- from the Lido buffet area - there is a 24/7 coffee machine?  Is that coffee better than the in-room coffee?

I did not try the instant coffee in the room.  (Except to try to liven up the room service coffee.  Which did not work, so I am guessing it the sachets are also weak.)

Surprisingly, I discovered that the coffee machine in the King’s Court buffet was better than expected, and certainly better than the room service coffee.

My favourite coffee was in Sir Samuel’s, but that is an added cost.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 2

@Kordy

There was one of these machines in Sir Samuels lounge, two of them in Carinthia Lounge, and I believe there may be similar in Commodore Club and Grills Lounge.

Waiters in Chart Room can get coffees from the machine in Sir Samuels, but they also have a machine in the room behind the bar, which is just a push button machine and coffee from does not have the flavour I like.

As Miss G points out coffee from these is chargeable, not sure if that applies in Grills.

m39_re_fronte_trasp.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

And why is there no hair conditioner?  Does everyone have tangle-free hair?  Luckily, I have brought my own.  (Although there’s nowhere to put it.)

If required, conditioner can be requested from your steward _ not an issue for me, but Jane likes to have it

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, rakkor said:

If required, conditioner can be requested from your steward _ not an issue for me, but Jane likes to have it

Yes, Hair conditioner is now on request.

The sea air and the Cunard beds have that effect on me as well! 

Screenshot_20230621_131741_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Surprisingly, I discovered that the coffee machine in the King’s Court buffet was better than expected, and certainly better than the room service coffee.

Of all QM2's free coffee machines, I like the one on deck 2 at Illuminations/Connexions the best.  This machine was out of service for a while post-covid, but is now back. 

Thanks @Miss G for your commentary and photos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

DAY THREE - AT SEA

Tuesday, June 11th

When I woke we were surrounded by fog.  I went for a walk.

IMG_2238.thumb.jpeg.0ee2fccb44f7f2f0b0c231da8f9a4672.jpeg

I had decided to try my luck at Sir Samuel’s, so I headed down there to start my day.  The Americano I ordered, with an extra shot on the side (only $1.00!), was delicious!  It came with biscotti, which I usually ignore, but I gave it a go and I liked it!  I have now found my breakfast spot.  Coffee and biscotti to start my day.  Yum.  I just wish it would open sooner than 8:00am, because that’s a long wait when you’re an early riser.

Today is Expedition Day.  Expedition Day; Expedition Day; Expedition Day Day Day.  

There is a bookshop here, somewhere, and I have yet to find it.  Perhaps they sell Cunard memorabilia or notepads and pens and such?  That interests me.

I make my way to an elevator and study the deck plans.  Here it is.  Deck 8 Forward, starboard side, then down some steps.  The bookshop will be on your right.  I proceed as directed, et voilà, there it is!

To my surprise, the bookshop sells… books.  The letdown horn sounds.  Wah wah waaah.  Okay, there are 3D puzzles and models of the ship, but that is not what I am looking for.  Oh well.  It looks like the bookstore is attached to the library (quite optimistic of them, really) so I venture in.  

Holy smokes!  Does a more impressive-looking library exist in the world?  This place is amazing!!  Encased in glass and gold and wood paneling are thousands of books in all their glory!!  The room meanders through nooks and crannies and comfy places to read, with glorious views to behold!!  I wander the room in awe of its splendour.  If I were to design a library, this is what it would look like.

I peek into a nook and spy a small elevator door; hidden, unless you knew it was there.  I check behind me.  No one is ready to tap me on the shoulder; no one is looking at me aghast.  I push the button.  I cannot help myself.  It is ingrained into my psyche.  There is a reason my husband calls me “The Button-Pusher”. 

The door opens and angels sing.  It is a small glass elevator mounted to the side of the ship!  

IMG_9599.thumb.jpeg.97dac824f60c13c4c6cc47fe6abbc7a6.jpeg

I hit the topmost button and off I go in my very own TARDIS.  Who knows what adventures await?

The TARDIS opens and I emerge onto Deck 11.  Here I find the Atlantic Room.  There appears to be an organized card tournament going on.  I back up and spy a set of stairs.  Up I go and… what the heck?  IS THAT THE BRIDGE?!!!!  Well, now I’ve died and gone to heaven.  There are buttons and levers and equipment galore.  Just as I wonder whether pictures are allowed, I see a sign which says pictures are not allowed.  Darn it.  

• Like 7

Curiousity satisfied, I pick up a brochure entitled Bridge and Navigation Information and continue with my exploration.

Up another set of stairs I find The Lookout.  I am now on Deck 14.  It is crazy windy up here.

IMG_9601.thumb.jpeg.20fad8d9c986096410f50bfe5a8315b4.jpeg

The radar mast:

IMG_9604.thumb.jpeg.6685add2efb001023a0c0c375c29207e.jpeg

Looks like I found where the patient transfer occurred:

IMG_9610.thumb.jpeg.f2a7c9ab7894693ee94c2c49fc744c6b.jpeg

I descend to Deck 12 via TARDIS.

IMG_9618.thumb.jpeg.fc477c84520ec5a6bd0abf0f49d5cc13.jpeg

Halfway down the deck, I stop short.  Is that another POOL?!  Holy smokes, there’s an indoor pool!!  It’s got a bar, a stage, and two more hot tubs!!  I am amazed at the things I am discovering on this ship.

IMG_9619.thumb.jpeg.8000924b026608e81aff47fce5bcc92d.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2024 at 12:30 PM, Kordy said:

I believe from the two last sailing when the In Room Coffee Service was introduced to the rooms, Nescafe was the brand we found.

My theory to which coffee would be Nescafe. They give you bottled water for the kettle to use and it fresh in from of you. The ones in Kings Court can be questionable of when it was made in which machine. Yes, one is brewed, one is instant. Drinker choice. I found no problem with Nescafe.

You can also if don't mind to bring Instant of your choice along with you for the room.

8 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I believe from the two last sailing when the In Room Coffee Service was introduced to the rooms, Nescafe was the brand we found.

My theory to which coffee would be Nescafe. They give you bottled water for the kettle to use and it fresh in from of you. The ones in Kings Court can be questionable of when it was made in which machine. Yes, one is brewed, one is instant. Drinker choice. I found no problem with Nescafe.

You can also if don't mind to bring Instant of your choice along with you for the room.

I’ve been thinking about bringing my ground coffee and an individual pour over.  I’m quite addicted to Peet’s Major Dickason’s coffee 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

There is a bookshop here, somewhere, and I have yet to find it.  Perhaps they sell Cunard memorabilia or notepads and pens and such? 

You'll find these in the souvenir shop, easily accessible from inside Sir Samuel's

• Like 1

DAY THREE CONTINUED

Back inside, I pass through the Commodore Club.  Very nice.  I consider stopping for a beverage but I don’t feel my expedition clothes fit in here.  I move on.

Out on the promenade, I see a few people walking their dogs; one of them a bit yappy.  I am surprised by this as I thought they were kept in the kennels.  Maybe they let the owners take them out for a walk?  

IMG_9595.thumb.jpeg.11d7ccb41e485247df1bf8960e2acf62.jpeg

Since I’m already on Deck 7, let’s try the King’s Court buffet!  I had tried the main dining room for lunch (twice) and it wasn’t so successful.  Maybe this will be my lunch spot!

Hmm. Except for the cheese and crackers and fruit, I find the food here lukewarm and odd-tasting.  The beef chunks (not sure what else to call them) tasted like liver (liver was one of the other choices) and the pommes dauphinoise tasted like fish.  Not exactly the flavour profiles I was going for.  I’ll try again another time.

IMG_9592.thumb.jpeg.06c64883fa01c429a304542f5cad2789.jpeg

In the Captain’s noon address, he mentioned there is fog and rain ahead.  

Right on cue, this happened:

IMG_9645.thumb.jpeg.3e8d0fed310029fff5840d9164579e92.jpeg

Lunch over (more like discarded), I head to the shops.

The weather has been quite cool, with lots of fog, and the temperature inside the ship only a tad warmer.  I need to find a warm sweater. 

Based on last Spring’s England, Netherlands, Norway, Denmark trip, I had decided to forgo warm clothing this year.  We had gorgeous weather but I had very few clothes to match.  Do not fall victim to Mother Nature’s tricks!  If you did not need warm clothing last year, pack it this year. I have learned my lesson.

I peek through the shop windows but all I see is high-end items and lots of jewels and handbags.  Very nice, but they won’t keep me warm.  Oh well.  I’ll have to do with what I’ve got.  Off I go to get ready for dinner.

Following dinner, I go for another walk.  Oh, hey!  Here’s the Royal Court Theatre!  I pop inside and catch the last half of entertainer, Foggie Flax.  Wow.  Foggie Flax is very funny and definitely entertaining.  I hope he is on again!

Another day over, I retire to my bed-of-cloud.  Does it get any better than this?  Good night, Queen Mary 2.  I look forward to another day.

IMG_9622.thumb.jpeg.9aac7295dd3260d47d671ee13f9f1d9b.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

This is one of the best reviews EVER! Your writing style is fun to read. After many trips on QM2, I am enjoying seeing the ship anew through fresh eyes. 

You did well to find the glass elevator so early in your voyage. I wish I'd thought to call it the Tardis!

• Like 2

On 6/17/2024 at 11:39 AM, *Miss G* said:

I did not try the instant coffee in the room.  (Except to try to liven up the room service coffee.  Which did not work, so I am guessing it the sachets are also weak.)

I was likewise surprised by the King's Court coffee being good when I was aboard. It was a relaxing end of day routine I had to draw a cup, find a seat in one of the side areas looking out onto the Promenade and while there catch up on telling people at home how it was going (via Text over internet). 

• Like 3

Even after several voyages on QM2 we have still yet to discover the glass elevator.Thankyou “Miss G”, we will certainly will be visiting the library.Perhaps it might be like “ The lion and the Wardrobe “

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Millieloulou said:

Even after several voyages on QM2 we have still yet to discover the glass elevator.Thankyou “Miss G”, we will certainly will be visiting the library.Perhaps it might be like “ The lion and the Wardrobe “

The easiest way that I know to find them (there are 2, one on each side), is to go through Carinthia, through the Spa area until you are about to enter the gym. There are two entry passages to the gym, port and starboard, but let's stick with port. As you approach the gym from Carinthia, bear portside (leftwards) as if about to go outside to the deck, then just before that deck door, on your right, is the lift/elevator.

At that point it doesn't appear to be a glass elevator, but that becomes apparent as you go up. It's also the easiest way to the Commodore Club, you end up right inside.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2