Sensible is boring!!

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Would losing our fare but tough? Yes, but not earthshattering. Would the possible medical expense been a really tough blow? Absolutely.

But trip insurance doesn't have to be either/or. Ours wasn't. Covered the entire gamut including emergency evacuation...even death 😞

2 minutes ago, clo said:

But trip insurance doesn't have to be either/or. Ours wasn't. Covered the entire gamut including emergency evacuation...even death 😞

Ours also covered everything. All I am really trying to say is covering medical is what is truly important as the costs can be astronomical compared to the cost of the cruise. Presumably, as you have paid for the cruise, it is something you can afford.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Ours also covered everything. All I am really trying to say is covering medical is what is truly important as the costs can be astronomical compared to the cost of the cruise. Presumably, as you have paid for the cruise, it is something you can afford.

Not that anyone here cares but we have always lived below our means. My (Scottish-heritage) husband taught me tons about personal finance. He was laid off and offered (a very generous but still) severance at 53. We made it because we had zero debt (houses, cars, credit cards). A lesson that some should learn.

45 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

So are you saying there are plans that cover everything EXCEPT medical?

Posted (edited)
On 6/17/2024 at 6:36 AM, babs135 said:

Regarding FCC, the cruise line is Princess. Don't know if they do them.

I came to this thread after viewing your question on the Princess board.

We are Elite with them, but honestly, I think were done with them.

Here is a link to a comparison of refund cancellation policies by cruise line:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/cruise-payment-plans-and-deposits/

When onboard Princess, you can buy Future Cruise Deposits, FCDs, (not FCC) for US$100 each, you'll need two for a couple. They have a book-by date of one year, not a sail-by date. That is your deposit, plus onboard credit depending on length of your cruise and type of cabin. Refunded if not used. It's a no-brainer. But I do not recommend booking your actual cruise onboard. 

I see you've sailed the more reserved Cunard and Celebrity and I will tell you Princess has changed in the 13 years since you've sailed with them. More boisterous.

You asked on the Princess board about buying packages. We are also seniors and don't drink, or care for fancy desserts, barrista coffees and just taking the stairs to exercise classes would be sufficient to wear me out. We go Standard.

Next cruise, we'll put our money toward a cruising a higher level line, Cunard, Oceania or Azamara. 

Edited by mtnesterz

1 hour ago, clo said:

Not that I aware of, but there might be.

What I have really been trying so say is that the potential medical costs are what scares me. And they are the basic reason why we buy travel insurance (which is getting more and more expensive since I have been over 70 now for a while and DW has now hit 70. And of course it is the larger possibility of medical expenses as one ages that drives those insurance premiums. 

• Like 2

Cruise travel insurance in the UK is mandatory if you're travelling with Cunard or P&O (not sure about other lines, but suspect it is the same). This gives you an idea of what is expected. We do not have ' cancel for any reason' in the UK.  When we fill in our personal details after booking we have to fill in the name of the insurance company and their emergency telephone number.

Travel Insurance - Cunard cruises

Banks and Building Societies offer insurance to their members, but based on our own experience I wouldn't touch them at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2024 at 2:19 PM, clo said:

Probably not.  But there are plans that cover just medical. And they are significantly less expensive than comprehensive trip insurance.  We got medical coverage for a $10,000+ trip.  The cost for me was in the range of $50.  Whereas full trip insurance would have been $400-$600. 

On 6/18/2024 at 4:20 PM, ontheweb said:

Not that I aware of, but there might be.

What I have really been trying so say is that the potential medical costs are what scares me. And they are the basic reason why we buy travel insurance (which is getting more and more expensive since I have been over 70 now for a while and DW has now hit 70. And of course it is the larger possibility of medical expenses as one ages that drives those insurance premiums. 

There are some good solutions, such as GeoBlue, but unfortunately (for you) you happen to live in the one State that bans the sale of many decent insurance products.  Our NYC friends all buy Allianz (apparently, they are licensed for sale in NYC).  For those who do not live in those two States, GeoBlue costs under $400 a year for an annual policy that covers up to 70 days per trip.

Hank

24 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Probably not.  But there are plans that cover just medical. And they are significantly less expensive than comprehensive trip insurance.  We got medical coverage for a $10,000+ trip.  The cost for me was in the range of $50.  Whereas full trip insurance would have been $400-$600. 

I've never found medical alone available in the UK, always part of a package.

Even if my entire luggage disappeared it wouldn't be the end of the world, but cancellation for insurable events in the UK is a very expensive business.

I take the same attitude with motor insurance, I keep the premium down by accepting a high excess - I can afford a few £hundreds for any accident damage but I can't afford to total the car.

JB 🙂

I'm coming in late to this query, but I'll say this:  If you want to be talked out of going on this cruise, you've asked the wrong people!  

Seriously though, I have several thoughts: 

- I'd say go ahead and book the cruise.  Know that your reservations are set. 

- Would it be reasonable to request a handicapped room?  

- You say losing the deposit would sting but wouldn't be life-changing.  So do it.  Just don't pay anything unnecessary ahead of time.  

- How will you get to the port?  My parents are going on a cruise soon, and their biggest concern is getting to their port city, especially with his scooter -- they know they'll be set once they set foot on the ship.  

- You say you have some health challenges -- think through what you could do worse-come-to-worse.  Rent a scooter.  Bring all your medicines, etc. 

- Even though you're excited about the itinerary, consider your shore excursions carefully; that is, pick the stops about which you're most excited.  Consider carefully how much go-go-go you'll be able to do.  Think about spending the morning on shore, then relaxing on the ship in the afternoon. 

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

There are some good solutions, such as GeoBlue, but unfortunately (for you) you happen to live in the one State that bans the sale of many decent insurance products.  Our NYC friends all buy Allianz (apparently, they are licensed for sale in NYC).  For those who do not live in those two States, GeoBlue costs under $400 a year for an annual policy that covers up to 70 days per trip.

Hank

Thanks for the suggestion even though as you said we cannot use this in NY. But it might help others.

NY state both gives and takes when it comes to insurance. In the Covid shutdown of 2020, we had booked a Princess Norwegian fjords cruise. When we booked it with a refundable deposit, our TA also mentioned even the insurance premium was refundable due to NY state law. And sure enough our insurance premium was refunded. (We cancelled seeing the writing on the wall that the cruise could not possibly happen before final payment. Princess waited until final payment was due.) In the insurance forum, the expert Steve Dasseos, did not believe we would get that back as he said he had never heard of Travel Guard refunding a premium. But we did get it back as the NY State Commissioner of Insurance had formulated a rule that basically said if you or the cruise line cancelled, there was no risk to insure, hence the premium must be refunded. (It seems no other state has this rule.)

This rule has a negative consequence for those who want "cancel for any reason" coverage as the same logic says that that insurance is not really covering any risk. Hence, you cannot buy that type of insurance in NY.

53 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

This rule has a negative consequence for those who want "cancel for any reason" coverage as the same logic says that that insurance is not really covering any risk. Hence, you cannot buy that type of insurance in NY.

I am not a fan of CFAR but have long wondered about NY's policy.  In many cases, CFAR is not even insurance but rather a waiver (of the penalty period provisions).  Technically, that is not even insurance when it is sold by the cruise lines (who make it clear it is a waiver and not insurance).

Hank

5 hours ago, sanger727 said:

And ours (two people) was around $1700. But the cruise was $14k and had we not used points the air (J class) would have been dang near that much. So let's say even the $14k made it a good deal. And this was through USAA with whom my husband has a 50 year membership and we know what they're like.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Thanks for the suggestion even though as you said we cannot use this in NY. But it might help others.

NY state both gives and takes when it comes to insurance. In the Covid shutdown of 2020, we had booked a Princess Norwegian fjords cruise. When we booked it with a refundable deposit, our TA also mentioned even the insurance premium was refundable due to NY state law. And sure enough our insurance premium was refunded. (We cancelled seeing the writing on the wall that the cruise could not possibly happen before final payment. Princess waited until final payment was due.) In the insurance forum, the expert Steve Dasseos, did not believe we would get that back as he said he had never heard of Travel Guard refunding a premium. But we did get it back as the NY State Commissioner of Insurance had formulated a rule that basically said if you or the cruise line cancelled, there was no risk to insure, hence the premium must be refunded. (It seems no other state has this rule.)

I think I should add to my post that if I had "kept control" of my booking by doing it myself instead of through our TA, I would have never known that I could apply for and get my insurance premium back on a cruise we cancelled.

And note this was not a local TA who knew NY state law or a ticket taker from a "big box store", but an online TA physically I believe in Florida. His knowledge saved us a lot of money. I wonder how many of my fellow NY residents either cancelled or had the cruise lines cancel cruises due to the Covid shutdown and never knew they could apply for and get their insurance premium back.