Departure Day RCCL Airport Transfers

Posted (edited)

Do the RCCL shuttles that take you from the port to airport on departure day leave on time? We have a couple time options and trying to decide between 830 and 915 to get back to Miami for our noon flight. I'd prefer the 915, but don't want to be delayed if the shuttles don't leave close to that time. 

We do have TSA precheck as well. 

Edited by CruisinBlondie28
adding more context for flight

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, CruisinBlondie28 said:

Do the RCCL shuttles that take you from the port to airport on departure day leave on time? We have a couple time options and trying to decide between 830 and 915 to get back to Miami for our noon flight. I'd prefer the 915, but don't want to be delayed if the shuttles don't leave close to 

Didn’t read it correctly.

Edited by njkruzer

Posted (edited)

you do know that there's independent shared van services at Miami. $10 pp, they go when the van is full which took about 15 minutes. I had a 10:20 flight, did self assist and walked off at  8 am and walked up to the guy hawking the service. We left the port at 8:15 and I was dropped off by Delta by 8:40 (?). I was through TSA and at the gate by 9 am.

But to answer your question, Royal's buses leave on time, but you never know when Murphy's Law is going to strike.

Edited by wolfcathorse
answer OP question

3 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

you do know that there's independent shared van services at Miami. $10 pp, they go when the van is full which took about 15 minutes. I had a 10:20 flight, did self assist and walked off at  8 am and walked up to the guy hawking the service. We left the port at 8:15 and I was dropped off by Delta by 8:40 (?). I was through TSA and at the gate by 9 am.

But to answer your question, Royal's buses leave on time, but you never know when Murphy's Law is going to strike.

We will have a toddler and no car seat so looking for bus/shuttle type transportation. Are the shared van's you are referring to a regular style van? Or are they the larger type shuttles?

I've used the Miami/RCCL shuttle several times. They cycle several busses from cruise port to air port so there is no specifically assigned bus which leaves at a particular time.  If you board a bus which is near full you will depart fairly soon. If you are directed to board an empty bus you will have to wait until the bus is full before they will depart. The drive to the airport is usually 20-30 minutes depending on traffic.

Be aware that the bus will drop you off on the lower level and far end of the airport at a bus depot. My airline check-in desk is somewhere in the middle of the building and it was a very long walk dragging my bags to get there. They do offer luggage trolleys for rent at the drop off point. I never want to spend the money for one but by the time I reach my airline check-in desk I'm wishing I had spent the money.

I usually book a noon flight and have never had a problem being on time when I booked the 8:30 bus departure even if the bus doesn't depart until 9:00 (which has happened). The 9:15 option should still get you there on time but be aware of the possibly long walk to check in followed by the TSA line which can be long. I doubt you would miss your flight but between waiting for the bus to fill, the walk to your check in counter and the TSA line you will have a full morning.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CruisinBlondie28 said:

Do the RCCL shuttles that take you from the port to airport on departure day leave on time? We have a couple time options and trying to decide between 830 and 915 to get back to Miami for our noon flight. I'd prefer the 915, but don't want to be delayed if the shuttles don't leave close to that time. 

We do have TSA precheck as well. 

915 is fine as long as you are domestic.  Airport is close.  

But Lyft or Uber are much better.

In Galveston I had to do the same thing ... cruiseline shuttle because I didn't want to lug around the carseat.  There are usually enough people you just queue, they fill the bus, then you go.  Your bags will get early tags.  I have found this less stressful than arranging a set-time shuttle and then trying to time getting off the ship.

My rule of thumb is to avoid large buses if I can. Too many logistics and too many people jostling to get on, off, and to their luggage.

I prefer Uber in Miami and UBER or SAS in Fort Lauderdale. 

silentbob007, TOTALLY off topic, but what part of Ann Arbor do you live in? My son and his family live there off Eisenhower Parkway. He works for the UofM.

27 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

RC won't let you book their shuttles unless your flight is after 12:30

Aren’t you thinking of departure limits for luggage assistance (which they don’t currently offer in Miami)?

When I’ve scheduled bus transportation the only comment is “Airport transfers not available for early morning flights.” They don’t specify a time. 

41 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

RC won't let you book their shuttles unless your flight is after 12:30

I think this only applies if you book your flight through Air2Sea. 

4 hours ago, wolfcathorse said:

We did the same as you last month. Those $10.00pp shuttles are great. We had a noon Delta flight and was sorry I didn't book the earlier flight. We'll be doing this again next March.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CruisinBlondie28 said:

We will have a toddler and no car seat so looking for bus/shuttle type transportation. Are the shared van's you are referring to a regular style van? Or are they the larger type shuttles?

They are large van style. No car seats needed in these.

• Like 1