No Lobster?

26 minutes ago, DreamingOfSunnyDays said:

I’ve just been reading a review that says lobster on gala nights might be a thing of the past?

Which dining room/ship?

36 minutes ago, DreamingOfSunnyDays said:

I’ve just been reading a review that says lobster on gala nights might be a thing of the past?

Can anyone else who has recently sailed confirm whether this was offered on gala nights?

This will be terribly disappointing if so.

Not for the lobster. 😂 It will only be disappointing for the people who ate them. Not a problem for me though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I must admit I can't recall anything in this area apart from lobster bisque recently. Even "surf and turf" was with prawns. But it is available in the evening meals in Verandah. I also recall seeing some lobster components in the sushi at Lido.

2 hours ago, DreamingOfSunnyDays said:

Britania / QV / QA

It was available on Queen Victoria after it was reported missing on QM2 but I've not been on since October 2022 so that's not a recent report. 

My last Gala night on QV was in February and the main course options in Britannia were

- Rump of lamb

- Dover Sole

- Chicken escalope

- Hasselback courgettes

- Spinach and feta strudel

For QM2, a month ago, the Gala night was

- Pork Wellington

- Leg of lamb

- Plaice fillet

- Vegetable cutlet

- Goats cheese and vegetable brioche.

• Thanks 1

Cruise companies are facing increased food costs and therefore have reduced the menu choices and downgraded the dining experience a little, in order to keep their food expenses down.

The same is happening in restaurants where food prices are going up and quality is not.  In the case of a cruise company, they have to keep overall cruise prices at a certain level that keep the customers coming, so they are reducing costs elsewhere, to offset increased expenses.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Those do look a bit disappointing @Pushpit

I didn't really think so at the time, and I have removed all the flowery words from the menus. But at the time I did find it difficult to choose since I liked all the options.  In my December QM2, the first Gala night had Beef Wellington, the second had Surf/Turf or Venison. 

But I think there is a good point made above where skyrocketing food prices have made many restaurants look for other ways to impress, and if it means bringing back some forgotten cuts of meat then I'm all for it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DreamingOfSunnyDays said:

Britania / QV / QA

I was on QE Japan cruise in the Britannia Dining Room. The only lobster I ever saw was in Lobster Bisque, and it was maybe 2 small pieces. As mentioned, Surf and Turf with a prawn was an option on the first Gala night, as was Beef Wellington on another. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Seemed to be plenty of lobsters on QA in QG.

I managed to deplete the supply three times in two weeks.  🙂

The lady had the table next to us had it practically every other day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pushpit said:

My last Gala night on QV was in February and the main course options in Britannia were

- Rump of lamb

- Dover Sole

- Chicken escalope

- Hasselback courgettes

- Spinach and feta strudel

For QM2, a month ago, the Gala night was

- Pork Wellington

- Leg of lamb

- Plaice fillet

- Vegetable cutlet

- Goats cheese and vegetable brioche.

Pork Wellington?

Come on, Cunard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kordy said:

Cruise companies are facing increased food costs and therefore have reduced the menu choices and downgraded the dining experience a little, in order to keep their food expenses down.

The same is happening in restaurants where food prices are going up and quality is not.  In the case of a cruise company, they have to keep overall cruise prices at a certain level that keep the customers coming, so they are reducing costs elsewhere, to offset increased expenses.

I think we can all relate as we look at our spiraling cost of food at our local supermarkets. 

• Like 5

Lobster (Sea Bugs as far as I’m concerned), was food served to prisoners in Colonial New England.  I’ll admit that I’ll eat lobster now and then if it’s cooked properly, but I personally prefer fish. But that’s just me.  However having grown up in Boston and been to more New England Clam Bakes that I can count, and where it wasn’t a proper Clam Bake without lobster… it’s just not a big deal to me.  

Now Dover Sole is something I’ve only ever heard about and am excited that I might get to taste on my cruise 😋

• Like 5

On QV 27/5 - 10/6 pork wellington was offered but not on a gala night. From recollection options for gala night included beef wellington, chateaubriand, fillet steak with an accompanying slow cooked beef item.  I do not think surf and turf was an option over the 2 weeks - certainly no lobster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winifred 22 said:

On QM2 last month it was definitely Beef Wellington and last year too. Surf and Turf has been prawns for a while but I just get two turfs as I don’t like prawns. 

Yes was definitely beef wellington on Gala night on QM2 in May… (apols not best photos of the menu)…

IMG_1239.jpeg

IMG_1240.jpeg

• Like 4

The surf and turf on gala nights on QA in PG was always prawns and not lobster when we were on board.

Of note was that not once during the 5 weeks we were on board did they serve escargot. Maybe the escargot dishes haven't arrived on board yet.

7 minutes ago, safarigal said:

The surf and turf on gala nights on QA in PG was always prawns and not lobster when we were on board.

Of note was that not once during the 5 weeks we were on board did they serve escargot. Maybe the escargot dishes haven't arrived on board yet.

Just off a 23 day QM2 cruise and escargot was on the menu (Britannia Restaurant) more than once.

• Like 1