How to add AARP to booking

On 6/26/2024 at 6:20 AM, Grandmaanne7 said:

May I ask if anyone knows whether Canadians can join AARP and qualify for the OBC?

We did.

I actually joined AARP after booking and then used SheerID to qualify and sent an email to have the OBC added. A short time later - I could see the OBC in our TA's (the big box retailer that sells hot dogs) booking confirmation.

Worked better than I expected it to!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think since HAL has started using third parties (Stockperks, SheerID) getting the OBC applied is MUCH more confusing and obtuse. Yes I know most of HAL’s passengers are AARP eligible. But don’t offer it if you don’t want to honor it!  If it’s offered and we qualify for it, we want it!  We’ve been stockholders since 2008 and have never had an issue until this year. We applied for AARP and teacher OBC in April for the first time (new to me). Never saw it on app, website or new booking confirmation. But when we boarded, there it was! ($300). Great!  Then we booked another cruise while onboard and the Future Cruise Consultant said she could get them added but our TA could.  When the TA tried to, he was told the passenger had to. (Who’s on first). We now have 3 more HAL cruises booked and paid for in ‘24. Who knows if we’ll get the OBC.  I will have my verification emails printed and with me in case it’s not there when we board.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RRFan said:

I think since HAL has started using third parties (Stockperks, SheerID) getting the OBC applied is MUCH more confusing and obtuse. Yes I know most of HAL’s passengers are AARP eligible. But don’t offer it if you don’t want to honor it!  If it’s offered and we qualify for it, we want it!  We’ve been stockholders since 2008 and have never had an issue until this year. We applied for AARP and teacher OBC in April for the first time (new to me). Never saw it on app, website or new booking confirmation. But when we boarded, there it was! ($300). Great!  Then we booked another cruise while onboard and the Future Cruise Consultant said she could get them added but our TA could.  When the TA tried to, he was told the passenger had to. (Who’s on first). We now have 3 more HAL cruises booked and paid for in ‘24. Who knows if we’ll get the OBC.  I will have my verification emails printed and with me in case it’s not there when we board.   

Very confusing. They emailed me only 25 as I did it after booking but on website it says book by: N/A and sail by Dec 2025. So who knows? Not expecting it but will be surprised if it shows up when we board.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2024 at 9:54 AM, Emme1233 said:

Again we have the military, and HAL told our TA we couldn’t have both. We have two cruises booked..one is a long one, and would sure like that credit. 

That is not true-try again. I was told the same thing, so I asked my TA to try again, the second time it worked!

10 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Don't forget to renew every 12 months.

I tried to renew, as I didn't know if I should.  I got the message "Varication Limit Exceeded".  It looks like you already redeemed this offer or attempted to.  

I was ready to reach out to HAL, and my new personal consultant called.  No AARP credit was showing on the confirmation email.  I got the same message that another cruiser got while booking......"The AARP OBC has been applied to this booking.  Really.  

My membership does expire August 2024.

1 hour ago, Dancing Shoes said:

I tried to renew, as I didn't know if I should.  I got the message "Varication Limit Exceeded".  It looks like you already redeemed this offer or attempted to.  

I was ready to reach out to HAL, and my new personal consultant called.  No AARP credit was showing on the confirmation email.  I got the same message that another cruiser got while booking......"The AARP OBC has been applied to this booking.  Really.  

My membership does expire August 2024.

Exactly my experience this week. Although my membership is good through Sept 2025.

Edited by Haljo1935

Mine is showing up in my Marnier account. My aarp is 50 and teacher is 100. It says that's the allowed amount based on cruise length. (Still don't know if it'll show up once onboard since it was done after booking). Teacher says good through 2025 and aarp says good through 2028 (sail by) which I think is weird. Anyone have that?

10 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

This is the same issue I've had. If HAL wants to re-verify AARP membership each year, they need to adjust their SheerID parameters to ALLOW folks to re-verify. Frustrating. 

Also agree with the comment upthread that the move to SheerID and Stockperks has made this process much more onerous with lots of red tape. I was on the phone with HAL for over 1 hour last month trying to verify that my AARP/Educator benefit was added to bookings, and each one took about 20min to add. But, that is probably HAL's intent, to discourage folks from adding OBC and/or adding multiple OBC perks. 

• Like 1

June 25 I Received email from HAL directly. Stated our AARP card was applied to our sailing. All details are correct. Fast forward to this AM. Called HAL to ask why I paid for a small tour yesterday with a CC and not the credit we supposedly had. On phone now (first call was dropped by them) for 22 minutes and climbing. Listening to that dit-dit-dot-dottt music. Rep says they saw it but was applied to something but not sure what. Note: We are already paid in full. Several months ago. Oh well,,,, Dit-dit-dot-dotttt,,,

2 minutes ago, Ray4Fun said:

June 25 I Received email from HAL directly. Stated our AARP card was applied to our sailing. All details are correct. Fast forward to this AM. Called HAL to ask why I paid for a small tour yesterday with a CC and not the credit we supposedly had. On phone now (first call was dropped by them) for 22 minutes and climbing. Listening to that dit-dit-dot-dottt music. Rep says they saw it but was applied to something but not sure what. Note: We are already paid in full. Several months ago. Oh well,,,, Dit-dit-dot-dotttt,,,

FOLLOW up,, Nope you have no AARP credit. SO now off to higher authorities. Good thing I saved the email HAL sent us. 

4 minutes ago, Ray4Fun said:

FOLLOW up,, Nope you have no AARP credit. SO now off to higher authorities. Good thing I saved the email HAL sent us. 

Are you on the ship now? If not you can't use your OBC before you sail.

• Thanks 1

July 20 we board. So we have time to have someone at HAL to sort it out. While speaking to the Supervisor, I spelled out the exact email address. He said, yup that's her for sure. He said it will be sorted out. A reminder to follow up before boarding.

Our Account does show the AARP discount, and Teacher. It does not show the $500 for the AARP card. 

• Like 1

Not a rant, just an observation/commentary based on reading so many issues and problems on with HAL on CC. Three Star Mariner here....

How I wish HAL would spend a few $$ and find an IT guru [maybe a HS of college student?] to clean up the customer access to refine & manage the booking  without all the stress and inconsistencies. I do not look forward to standing in line at Shorex trying to get my CC payments recoursed back to me. Please don't tell me to wait until on the ship to use and book our $200 pp shorex when some 6 months away, there are wait lists or all sold out excursions!  I would prefer to use the OBC's to prepurchase the unlimited laundry package and lock in the mid-level WiFi BEFORE I step onto the ship. 

I know we can't access or use these added OBC's [AARP, Educator, Stock holder, Military] until OB the ship. How difficult is it for IT to  list each one that we qualify for  somewhere on our App or under "manage," but tick-mark those on the list that cannot be used until on the ship? 

We sail other lines and imediately see any and all OBC's and perks, etc., posted and the sources are clearly identified. And I use DH's military and my  stockholders credits before I get onto the ship. 

One more thing....the "over $11" added beverage cost. Really? That figure needs to be raised at least a dollar because even the most mundane beverages are over $11.  I drink cosmos, prefer it made with Tito's [not Stoli] and cointreau,  as I always get without any upcharges on Princess, Celebrity or Azamara. 

HAL's online reservation program does have a glitch. I had to call a human because we were adding another booking # person to the dining reservations for the Grille and Canaletto.  After all the "checking an open time" and confirming etc., the Navigatior App shows we now have a third promotional credit for dining. I spoke with our TA this morning and he can't figue out how that happened, but suggested we not ask HAL to fix it for fear the entire web site go down 😉 I know we'll get an agency OBC that will show up after final payment [with a hard copy for me to use at guest relations.....just in case). 

If all the OBC's for our December cruise show up, Santa is givng out lots of Delft tulip vases this year!

Darcy

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ray4Fun said:

July 20 we board. So we have time to have someone at HAL to sort it out. While speaking to the Supervisor, I spelled out the exact email address. He said, yup that's her for sure. He said it will be sorted out. A reminder to follow up before boarding.

Our Account does show the AARP discount, and Teacher. It does not show the $500 for the AARP card. 

Once you sort out if you do indeed have the AARP OBC, you will not be able to use it until you board July 20 as it cannot be used prior to boarding/can only be used onboard.