Random reports from Vista

babysteps

On 6/21/2024 at 7:36 PM, basor said:

@babysteps - can you tell us the name of the Ephesus O tour you took...we are doing the same next October 

"Ephesus & Terrace Houses" 5-1/2 hours and 'strenuous activity'. Length was updated (not sure if it was longer or shorter). $169pp. 

3 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

First, there is no age demographic for smoothies, though I do enjoy starting the day on an O ship with the Sun Salutation smoothie. Old and young alike can enjoy them, and everyone in between.

Why would you spend $350 to $500 a day for a smoothie? And stand in the rain? I can make those at home.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 6/22/2024 at 12:41 PM, vlthom said:

I asked for the remainder of the bottle to be brought up to the Terrace and this seemed to be utterly confusing to the staff who first told me that they’d just give me fresh champagne or a new bottle.  I explained that I didn’t want to pay for a new bottle which still confused them.  Finally understanding, they found my bottle, which I enjoyed but noticed that they poured from for another guest.  Not a big deal but for those still not on SM, you may be in the minority and need to explain about any wine that you’ve purchased.

Similar issue in Terrace 2 nights ago. New-to-O server was confused and wanted to bring me a glass of rose rather than our stored bottle. Didn't seem to realize a stored bottle was possible. His colleague intervened and explained. We are on SM but this was a bottle we'd brought onboard. 

FYI SM does get you a 15% savings on bottle purchases. Wasn't sure if that discount was only for purchased beverage plans vs 'included' ones

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babysteps said:

Similar issue in Terrace 2 nights ago. New-to-O server was confused and wanted to bring me a glass of rose rather than our stored bottle. Didn't seem to realize a stored bottle was possible. His colleague intervened and explained. We are on SM but this was a bottle we'd brought onboard. 

FYI SM does get you a 15% savings on bottle purchases. Wasn't sure if that discount was only for purchased beverage plans vs 'included' ones

Interesting about the 15% discount.  That’s not something that I’ve seen anywhere else.  Good to know….thx

On 6/22/2024 at 6:43 PM, MEFIowa said:

Not unlike the Vista cheerleaders who want us to believe that dropping Jaques for Ember was an "improvement

I wouldnt regard myself a a cheerleader for the new ship but I was very happy with Ember. I can readily find French food where I am in the world, so don't miss Jacques as a holiday experience,  but cannot get Ember's American food. So, for me, it sits nicely with Polo as "foreign food". I have been to an Applebees but not a Ruby Tuesday and Ember is far better than that. If it opened near to my home, I'd probably be a regular. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, JoePDX said:

Thank you @babysteps for sharing your experiences.  I am sorry this thread had taken such a combative tone....   We will be on Vista in November and can't wait!

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Joe

Yes, sorry I contributed to that, I should know better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Harters said:

I wouldnt regard myself a a cheerleader for the new ship but I was very happy with Ember. I can readily find French food where I am in the world, so don't miss Jacques as a holiday experience,  but cannot get Ember's American food. So, for me, it sits nicely with Polo as "foreign food". I have been to an Applebees but not a Ruby Tuesday and Ember is far better than that. If it opened near to my home, I'd probably be a regular. 

Remember though, this person eats nearly all of their evening meals on the TC, with the exception of their specialty restaurants.  That way he can wear shorts, a tee and his ball cap.  But yet uses the analogy why spend $350-$500 per person to eat Pizza Hut pizza and Applebees (Ember references) equivalent food.  Well…..if I wanted to eat buffet food for my cruise just like Golden Corral (bad buffet place in USA) all the time, I sure wouldn’t be paying $350-500 per person. Of course….TC better than GC, just a dumb analogy like his. I will get his little quip back or a laugh on my comment, but honestly may as well be talking to a wall.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

First, there is no age demographic for smoothies, though I do enjoy starting the day on an O ship with the Sun Salutation smoothie. Old and young alike can enjoy them, and everyone in between.

What age group buys smoothies?

Despite the huge growth in the market, less than a third of the adult population currently buys smoothies. The 15-19 and 25-34 age groups are the most likely to reach for one, which the report believes may be due to their busy lifestyle or need for a hangover cure.Jan 4, 2007

Healthy eating trend sees sales of smoothies soar

The Independent

https://www.independent.co.uk › ... › Health News

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

... eats nearly all of their evening meals on the TC, with the exception of their specialty restaurants.  That way he can wear shorts, a tee and his ball cap.... 

Who sits at a table in the TC wearing a hat?

And yes, who doesn't enjoy being able to be quickly and efficiently served food in the TC? Esp. if you can eat under the stars, as we do. No desire to spend 2 hours in the GDR, but that's us.

And we BOTH know that the actual FOOD in the TC has no comparison to any basic "buffet" served in the usual or average buffet setting. I try to enjoy the lobster, shrimp and lamb at the grilling station to start. 😉

• Like 1

So we are done with our SM tours for this cruise, and they were both winners. Maybe I should play the lotto lol? 

Our Santorini tour had just 10 guests and included 3 winery visits with tastings and small snacks at each. The first two - Santos and Venitsanos - are on the edge of the caldera very close to the top of the road up from Athinios port.

Our guide Sophia was very good and quite knowledgeable about wine. Plus she knew everyone personally and had a great sense of humor which helped!

Santos is the island's co-op winery and for groups has a self-service tasting format of 3 wines - white, red, dessert. Most of the servers knew their stuff and could answer technical questions. This was our first stop. The snacks were olives, cheese, and breadsticks. The wine was decent and the views spectacular. If you don't like heights there were also tables further back on the shaded and nicely landscapes patio. 

Then we went to nearby Venitsanos where they had a guided tasting for us, also 3 wines - white, red, dessert. The snacks were on a shared platter at each of our 2 tables and were olives, cheese, breadsticks and a traditional tomato spread. The person presenting out tasting was very informed and engaging. Again we were outside under the shade with an amazing view. 

Next we drove toward the Oia end of the island with plenty of grapevines along the way as Sophia helped us understand the history of viticulture on Santorini and how the unique 'basket' vine pruning technique has developed.

Sigalis was our 3rd winery and the most highly regarded for their wines. Here the view is over their vineyard which slopes gently toward the sea (not visible at least not from our table). We tried 2 whites, a red and a dessert wine (unusually for Santorini made from red grapes). Sigalis also makes some very affordable sparkling wine and one of our fellow guests bought a bottle so we could all taste that. Snacks here were individually served and were cheese, the tomato spread on a slice of bread and also the traditional Santorini bean spread on a slice of bread. Pretty sure there were also olives but 2 days ago now lol. We bought a bottle of one of their white wines and enjoyed it onboard last night at Red Ginger. 

All three of these wineries distribute in the US so no need to lug bottles home unless there's a rare bottling that's available only at the winery. 

We then retraced our steps back to the main road and then continued on to Fira where we were dropped off. Sophia handed us our cable car tickets and walked us to the line - we could have taken a little time to explore Fira but we decided to head to the ship. It was about an hour from getting in line for the cable car to boarding the tender. 

This tour was very well done and was a great introduction to Santorini as first time visitors. No bargain but a good way to spend SM credits. 

More on Logistics-

In Santorini almost all the ship's tours start with a tender ride to Athinios, a ferry port that buses can drive to. It is a bit south of Fira and its "old port' with the cable car.

According to Currents, if you have a confirmed private tour starting at Athinios you CAN get independent tickets for those tenders. Not sure I realized that before! Otherwise the tenders all go to the 'old port' below Fira. That's the port with the cable car and infamous donkey rides. 

There is at least one company at the 'old port' selling a speed boat ride to Oia with bus return to Fira - not sure if this is available as a walk-up or needs prior reservations, but it may be an alternative to the cable car on arrival. 

Was joking with some of the entertainment staff that there should be a vendor with a parasail excursion that ends at the old pier - likely impossible, but a fun idea! As far as I could tell, other than a few water-born excursions all the tours end at Fira and you get to use the cable car to arrive at the tender pier (or walk down the donkey path which is not recommended). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Argostoli was hot! The heat wave continues, it was according to my weather app 95f feels like 105f. 

We just wandered around town and did see a couple sea turtles swimming in the lagoon. Who knew they were a thing - apparently a rare location where the sea turtles don't have to migrate at all so they are always around to see. 

Decided not to stop at one wine bar because all the seats were outdoors (shaded but no AC). Then we realized that pretty much all the restaurants were like this. Dipped into a grocery store for the AC (and Greek honey for a friend). Clerk suggested a restaurant just down the street - not sure we ever found it but we did find a couple glasses of local wine at a lovely spot. Still no AC lol. 

The village was much more attractive than we expected after the 'rebuilt after devastating 1953 earthquake without trying to recreate historic details' description. Pedestrian shopping street is particularly inviting, as is the seaside string of restaurants. This is a tourist town serving fly-and-flop British beach goers so don't expect an immersion in authentic Greek village life. But that means that there are plenty of restaurants with great views of the water to relax at - with English translations on the menus lol. 

Right at the tender port there are 20euro/day compact rental cars so if you wish to explore further that is definitely do-able. There is also a dock but it only holds one ship and that wasn't us lol. One crew member said this was the first time they'd been at this port and not docked, so ymmv

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, babysteps said:

More on Logistics-

In Santorini almost all the ship's tours start with a tender ride to Athinios, a ferry port that buses can drive to. It is a bit south of Fira and its "old port' with the cable car.

Thank you Babysteps, for your updates. We’ll be in Santorini in August with Vista. I had called O to question starting point of a catamaran excursion & was advised it would be old port, not Athinios, but involving the cablecar on return like you experienced.

It would help if excursion descriptions were more specific about port designations.

Not wanting to fight crowds & heat, we’ve scheduled a private small boat excursion RT from old port instead. 

• Like 2

More details for tour logistics on Santorini tours as of June 2024 based on onboard destination services list and Currents. Except as noted all tours had meeting times so assume they ran. 

Santorini tours June 2024 that start from new port Athinios and end at Athinios new port at tender dock (no option of cable car): 

Capture the Moment-Santorini (photo tour - listed as available but no meeting time in Currents so may not have run)

Santorini tours June 2024 that start from new port Athinios and end at Fira at/near top of cable car to get tender from Kameni (old) port aka Skala: 

Santorini Panorama

Santorini Highlights

Santorini Winery & Oia

Santorini 's Bouts to Winery, Oia & Fira Visits

Santorini Wines at Venetsanos Winery

Half Day at Beautiful Perivolos Beach

The Legend of the Lost City of Atlantis & Oia Village

Perissa Beach Transfer (no listed meeting time so may not have run)

Amazing Akrotiri

Santorini tours June 2024 that start from old port Skala for transfer to boat and end at old port Skala (no cable car required but if you really wanted to you might be able to take up and back down at end of your tour): 

Volcanic Santorini 

Santorini by Private Boat

20240624_140219.thumb.jpg.ac9de23694fed127e27d4dd9c480125b.jpg

• Thanks 1

Because it continues to be hot-hot-hot we are enjoying our cabins AC and I am posting more - apologies for my chatter box tendencies. 

Corfu today and a PSA-your phone may link to the nearby Albanian network and if it does your time may be an hour off (9:30 instead of 10:30 today for example) . One lady we met had missed her tour because of this. 

Corfu has a shuttle to the terminal (optional but appreciated) and then a shuttle to town. We got the museum combo ticket and also enjoyed some Greek wine at a café. Lovely time poking around, would have stayed longer if it wasn't quite so warm - another 'feels like 97' day. If you wanted to wander further independently, the cruise terminal offers rental cars and plenty of waiting taxis. Plus hop on hop off ticker counter (the official stop may be a couple blocks away). The main ferry terminal is a short walk toward town, not sure if there are any good short options but if there were it's certainly convenient enough. 

Red Ginger last night was lovely. So far we've had 3 specialty reservations all for sharing, but all 3 when we arrived there were solo tables (well the 2 of us alone) available. Tom Kah Gum soup one of us ordered as-is (marked with a chili) and the other asked for more heat and they each came as specified.

We liked the dining room layout on Vista, could actually see out at the view! It can be a lively (that is noisy) room, moreso than Toscana, assume not as much as Ember but we were in main dining area at RG and next to window (reported to be quieter) at Ember so ymmv. Red Ginger extras are same as they have been at least recently - edamame to start, an expanding finger towel, selection of chopsticks, selection of teas (including herbal choices). 

Looks like the new "more sushi choices" at Terrace is already in place. Each night I looked there is tuna or salmon nigiri or sashimi, on additional nigiri (one night cooked shrimp, one nigh really tasty raw acallop), plus 3 or 4 choices of roll. If I didn't already mention it, gluten free soy sauce is now available at the Terrace sushi station, hooray! 

The chilliest place on the ship may be Lynx on 14 near Horizons. I was printing a page and mentioned it was almost cold, they explained the equipment needs to be cold! Printing was easy - bring your device (not a thumb drive) and the helper will connect you to the center's WiFi and install the printer. FYI it's a black and white printer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 6/22/2024 at 8:50 AM, jonthomas said:

Yes the pizza is very good...

But I do get criticized by people who say they don't go on a cruise to eat pizza.

To each his own.

I couldn't agree more!  I'm looking forward to being on a ship that has this new option.  We we live pizza in general is pretty terrible, we only ever order once or twice a year.  So have excellent pizza on vacation sounds wonderful!  And for the people criticizing those of us who enjoy an excellent casual meal should realize those of us eating upstairs is freeing up a table/resources in the GDR!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bradpole said:

I'm looking forward to being on a ship that has this new option.

We had dinner in Waves one night. Pizza was fine - certainly as good as some pizza places at home (better than some, not as good as others). It made a change on our 15 day transatlantic but I doubt we'd revisit on a short cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, babysteps said:

Corfu today and a PSA-your phone may link to the nearby Albanian network and if it does your time may be an hour off (9:30 instead of 10:30 today for example) . One lady we met had missed her tour because of this. 

That's a shame.

I have always worn a manual setting watch ashore, and will continue to do so.

Dual time showing both local and GMT.

Also, if back onboard time is critical, I check it with crew before leaving the dock.

Also, I often check local time with the tour guide when they give critical 'back to the bus' timings.

Thanks for the useful info you are posting.

Appreciated.

Edited by Tranquility Base

On 6/23/2024 at 11:39 AM, EJL2023 said:

Remember though, this person eats nearly all of their evening meals on the TC, with the exception of their specialty restaurants.  That way he can wear shorts, a tee and his ball cap.  But yet uses the analogy why spend $350-$500 per person to eat Pizza Hut pizza and Applebees (Ember references) equivalent food.  Well…..if I wanted to eat buffet food for my cruise just like Golden Corral (bad buffet place in USA) all the time, I sure wouldn’t be paying $350-500 per person. Of course….TC better than GC, just a dumb analogy like his. I will get his little quip back or a laugh on my comment, but honestly may as well be talking to a wall.  

A great response..........Funny also!

Polo last night - again 'sharing' became a table for two. p

Pleasantly surprised that both of our mains came cooked to the ordered done-ness which may be a first for us lol. Another good meal, and the updated decor was lighter while still retaining that chop-house feel. 

One thing about Terrace on Vista - it seems noisier outdoors when the ship is underway (than on other ships), but not sure if it's just where we sat the other night? Or an impact from the otherwise-welcome cover? Haven't seen anyone else mention it, would be happy to be wrong! In port - eg most breakfasts - no noise issue. 

Random cabin refit comment, the bedside lighting in our B veranda cabin is now a lamp on each bedside table. Said lamp is permanently attached (not moveable) so the ability to pile books/etc here is somewhat limited. There is a pull-out tray as the highest part of the drawers underneath. There is not a "reading" light - so if you read paper after your mate goes to sleep, plan accordingly. 

So far we've always docked with the starboard side to land - someday I'll get a look from below at the big white thing below our balcony, but not yet! FYI 7022 has a bright light on deck 6 right below their balcony. No impact if you like to keep your blackout curtains closed, but if not that cabin will be lighter at night. 

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

That's a shame.

I have always worn a manual setting watch ashore, and will continue to do so.

Dual time showing both local and GMT.

Also, if back onboard time is critical, I check it with crew before leaving the dock.

Also, I often check local time with the tour guide when they give critical 'back to the bus' timings.

Thanks for the useful info you are posting.

Appreciated.

Fun fact, this morning the tv hasn't yet updated the ship's time. But today that would make folks early for tours! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, babysteps said:

Random cabin refit comment, the bedside lighting in our B veranda cabin is now a lamp on each bedside table. Said lamp is permanently attached (not moveable) so the ability to pile books/etc here is somewhat limited. There is a pull-out tray as the highest part of the drawers underneath. There is not a "reading" light - so if you read paper after your mate goes to sleep, plan accordingly. 

Interesting difference in the bedside table.  We are in a PH and I am missing bedside lighting.  We have an individually controlled spotlight at each side, then otherwise, the entire cabin is lit.  I’d prefer to have some option for lower lighting, especially at night when one of us might want to sleep before the other is ready.  I am glad that we have the full bedside table available, though.

• Like 3