Holland america vs Princess Cruise lines

8 minutes ago, Niagarawine said:

Oh we order room service everyday for breakfast and in the evening doe snacks. My husband orders tge pizza, goes up to deck ten, picks it up and we eat in the cabin as I have mobility  issues and some days are better than others. 

On Princess you can use the door hanger to order room service for breakfast for free, but it costs if you call in the order by phone. 

Seems that they want to discourage having to staff room service by phone. 

27 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It depends on the cruise. HAL ships generally carry fewer passengers.  Usually at least two maybe 3 on the larger ships.  There are a couple of people who do multiple positions.  The art teacher and the gym staff may help with some entertainment in the evenings. 

7 minutes ago, TRLD said:

One of the biggest differences is that most Princess venues are set up to be flexible for various activities, and Princess does quite a few. On HAL many of the venues are optimized for music walk, less flexible for other activities, and far fewer activities.

Thanks! We’ll be on the Eurodam next April and are really looking forward to experiencing what entertainment options HAL will have to offer by then as their entertainment strategy evolves towards offering production shows again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, doone said:

but I don't dwell on those things they no longer do

Good comments @doone.  US Domestic airlines used to provide meals on two hours flights and free drinks in economy.  Today I may have to pay for a beer and bring a sandwich on board, but I am paying a great deal less once you factor in inflation.  I don't dwell either.  Its 2024. 

Twenty years ago HAL didn't have Tamarind, Rudi's, or Club Orange, nor the Navigator App, high speed internet service or wide screen TVs.  Things change some good, some bad.  

I too try to enjoy the best of where we are today.  I sail HAL because it's good value and good service.  I would cruise half as much if I sailed Seabourn or the Gucci suites on NCL or "Grills" accommodations on Cunard.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We sail for itinerary. We select the cruise and cruise line that fits our schedule and where we want to go.

Each cruise line is better at some things and worse at others. It all comes down to each individuals preferences.

• Like 8

I have been on eight cruises on seven different lines ... And my next five cruises are on four different lines.  I have been on HAL twice - Konigsdam and Eurodam.

At this point, it is difficult to evaluate which line I prefer as each ship is significantly different.

Konigsdam had great entertainment but the service did not match up to Celebrity or Princess.  Eurodam had great service but lacked the entertainment options.  If I had to listen to the cruise director delivering another canned PowerPoint presentation, I was going to scream 

Personally, I liked the Regal Princess a lot.  I thought that the entertainment was great and all of the lectures given by third parties were excellent.  I thought that the food was generally fairly equivalent except for the beef entrees which were not great on Princess.  I liked the buffet a lot better on the Regal.

For the record, I am booked on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Regal Princess on future cruises.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Food is always an interesting thing, that can be highly variable even within a line.

In Jan/Feb did a b2b on the Emerald Princess from LA to FLL followed by a 14 day Caribbean cruise.

The first 15 days from LA to FLL the food was wonderful. The buffet was one of the best I have seen on a cruise ship. Then the ship resupplied in FLL. For the next cruise the food was mediocre at best. Chefs were the same. Was talking with one of the Chefs  near the end of the second cruise and asked what the change was. He said they have to work with what gets loaded, sometimes things are missing, or substitutions are required.

Food is very subjective.  I can have the same meal as someone else and we will describe it in two different ways.  Personal opinion, only.  I consider the food and cabins on Princess and HAL as comparable.  I will say that the crew on HAL is unbeatable.  They truly believe in Customer Service.  But then, that is very subjective, too.

To make a decision, I would look at the itinerary and use that as my decision maker.

This was our impression between the two:

MDR: Princess was better

Specialty Dining: Equal

Embarkation/Disembarkation: HAL by a longshot

Snacks/Pizza/Gelato: Princess

Crew: this was a tuff one, but Princess edged out HAL ever so slightly

Lido Buffet: HAL leaves Princess in the dust, we were really disappointed with Princess' Lido

Spa: HAL, better location

Staterooms: HAL, Princess still needs to work on those beds, even on the newer ships

As to entertainment, we're not into the nightlife so I can't compare, but we did enjoy the musicians throughout the day in the atrium and elsewhere.  And they had a lot more than going on, HAL musicians don't seem to get going until at least happy hour.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2024 at 4:50 PM, Banditswife said:

To each his own... In my humble opinion, there are good & bad things about all the cruise lines.  It comes down to what is important to you or me personally.  As far as deposits go- A lower deposit doesn't really entice me, I will still need to make a full payment eventually, no matter how much I paid up front.  I'd rather pay a larger deposit & a lower final payment, but that's just me.

Yes! agree. 

• Like 2

We're long time HAL cruisers (greater than 800 nights) and chose them principally because of itineraries.  We also LOVED the EXC cruises on the Maasdam and did a number of them.  That being said, the introduction of STEP ONE across the fleet really diminished the entertainment value when one sailed on just HAL.  We've seen most of the Step One shows a half dozen times or more, and they became boring for me.  Last year we stepped out and tried the Regal Princess in England because of a terrific itinerary.  It was a breath of fresh air in cruising and we enjoyed it again in the Caribbean.  We recently completed a bit over a month on the Majestic Princess from Australia to Seattle and it was simply fabulous (except for the LIDO dining).  The entertainment level was off the chart active. 

Looking forward, we doing HAL on a northbound cruise to Alaska and Princess on the southbound.  In the spring of 2025, we're booked on the Sun Princess for a week and then two weeks on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  So we'll have a couple of back to back comparisons of the two lines.

We still remain destination cruisers and like others, we will generally choose the cruise line based upon their destinations.  HAL remains for us at the top of the unique destinations list for cruise companies..

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Did 22 cruises on HAL starting in 2010

Jumped ship to Princess because we wanted a change and grew tired of the repetitive main stage entertainment, especially the BBC shows projected on the walls

Princess's main stage had much more production/live shows and we thoroughly enjoy them.

Does HAL still project shows on the walls?

Bob

3 hours ago, Bobpell54 said:

Did 22 cruises on HAL starting in 2010

Jumped ship to Princess because we wanted a change and grew tired of the repetitive main stage entertainment, especially the BBC shows projected on the walls

Princess's main stage had much more production/live shows and we thoroughly enjoy them.

Does HAL still project shows on the walls?

Bob

Hi Bob

we have done 15 Princess cruises and jumped to HAL last fall and fell in love again with cruising. We haven’t seen any projected shows on any walls on either the Oosterdam or the Nieuw Statendam which we are currently on and it is a beautiful ship. We have loved the BB King lounge the band is top notch and is always packed. Don't get me wrong I’ll still sail on Princess if only to get my free laundry and mini bar but for now my love affair is with HAL. Cheers 

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Pathetic as it may be I could live with only salad, popcorn and chocolate 

Let's all be honest.  We cruise for the tote bags**, and Mariner's Tiles.  **Especially the Club Orange tote bag.  The rest is of less importance. 

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

For me, the two basic food groups are popcorn and watermelon.

Watermelon is a summer food group. Watermelon is my breakfast of choice on HAL particularly South American watermelons.   Popcorn is year round.  

Edited by Mary229
  • Haha 1

I feel bad for folks who lock themselves to just one cruise line.  Each line is different and has its strengths and weaknesses, and all of them make changes that piss off "loyal" cruisers one way or another.  

-We loved Princess, but as we've gotten older, we like to do smaller, less crowded ships, especially with fewer children.  

-We love the small HAL ships, but they are getting very long in the tooth.  Even their midsize offers are pretty old comparatively.  One of these days, we'll get on a Pinnacle one to try out.  Out of the mainstream lines, they have the best-tasting food, in our opinion, just fewer choices.

-We still enjoy NCL, especially the Haven, but NCL ships have the same issue as Princess.  It's only worse as the entire top deck(s) on their ships is a waste on us.

-I can't wait to try out Oceania.  I'm considering it as an Uber HAL Vista ship (or uber The Haven section!)

-

• Thanks 1