Is a canada new england cruise rough?

I always thought a canada new england cruise was calm but now i’m reading it can be rough in the fall. Is that correct? I guess if there is hurricanes it stands to reason it may be rough!

You can NEVER predict the weather or what sea conditions will be like.  We've done three cruises that included Canada & never had rough seas:

• RT NYC including Nova Scotia & New Brunswick--Mid-September
  • Quebec City to NYC--Early October
  • RT NYC including Canada & Greenland--early September

I’ve done the New England/Canada itinerary several times - have only had rough seas on one cruise and it was crossing to Halifax.  Last year it was one of the smoothest ever - weather is unpredictable.

We've done two. In August of last year, it was pretty much smooth from Boston to Quebec. This May, it was so windy that we missed Sydney because we couldn't get into the channel. Most of the rest of that day, we were getting hit with 50 mph winds and were listing at a very noticeable angle.

Neither was a rough as I've seen it out more on the open Atlantic (either coming back from Bermuda or heading down the coast).

One time we outran a hurricane; missed Sydney and St. Pierre & Miquelon while we hid by Anticosti Island, away from the storm.  

But one cannot predict the seas on a cruise in the future.  Just book it and pray for smooth seas/good weather!  Or make sure you have the medications that will work for you, if you think you'll get sick.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

How are the temperatures in the Maritimes in late August.  What  would we need for clothes?

Any places in particular?  "The maritimes" is a huge area.

You can google things like "average august weather in Halifax" if you want to see actual historic data

It seems like it varies. I'm thinking of booking an aft cabin as i have to book late and that is all that will be left. Not sure if i should take my chances. I'll get some bonine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would prepare for rough seas. I've done 11 Canada/New England cruises and have had rough seas on at least one day on each of them. The North Atlantic is notoriously rough, even without extra-tropical storms (which are, sad to say, becoming more common).

It can definitely get quite rocky and wild, and on more than one cruise, tendering ports were cancelled due to rough seas and windy weather. That being said, it was nothing like my Circle Hawaii cruise when everything on board, with the exception of meals, was cancelled for 2 days. But is is not unusual for outside decks to the closed and some activities cancelled or altered along the itinerary, especially if you are going further out into the North Atlantic towards Newfoundland.

It is very rarely rough while cruising the St. Lawrence River.

We've done C/NE cruises in September a number of times.  I don't recall the seas ever being rough. And weather-wise, we had fairly hard rain once in Halifax; all the other days and ports had great weather. Temperatures ranged from shirtsleeves to sweater and light jacket.

By far our favorite itinerary!

On our last C/NE trip, two years ago, we missed three of the five ports due to weather and winds, though the seas themselves were not what I would call rough. Some folks can't handle the slightest sea state or ship movement, while others, like me, are pretty much immune to any cruise ship rolling or pitching.

We sailed July, but there were times when the going was rough.  Up around Cape Breton it was rough, but then as soon as we hit the Saint Lawrence, it was smooth.  It seems like when the captain thought we needed to go fast, the ride got rough.  But if it was just from NY to Newport and they had all night to do it, it was smooth.