Interesting passenger info about the Regatta June 21 cruise in Alaska

lj77346

I’m currently on the Regatta. There are 668 passengers on this cruise. 540 passengers are first time cruisers on Oceania. Another interesting statistic is that of the 668 passengers, 640 are from the USA.

We are in Ketchikan today and the weather currently is 58 and sunny. As this is just a 7-day cruise our only remaining ports are Juneau, Sitka and Victoria.

11 minutes ago, lj77346 said:

I’m currently on the Regatta. There are 668 passengers on this cruise....

That 668 seems a bit high, but I guess some cabins are having 3 or 4 passengers? Kids?

Prior to the addition of the SOLO cabins, capacity on the smaller R-class ships had been 650. I'm thinking we had about 630 on Sirena in 11/2022 and that was near capacity.

There are a number of families with children on this Regatta sailing and the passenger demographic is much younger than the norm on Oceania. The passenger info is from the CD (Carson) and the Oceania future cruise rep (Jennifer).

46 minutes ago, lj77346 said:

There are a number of families with children on this Regatta sailing and the passenger demographic is much younger than the norm on Oceania. The passenger info is from the CD (Carson) and the Oceania future cruise rep (Jennifer).

Alaska, on all lines, is family-heavy.  There will also be lots of first-timers.  I know people who have only taken one cruise in their lives, and that was to Alaska.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

Alaska, on all lines, is family-heavy.  There will also be lots of first-timers.  I know people who have only taken one cruise in their lives, and that was to Alaska.

They also feature the Alaska Explorer Youth Program geared to the 5-12 year olds. 

• Like 1

We were on a 7-day June Alaska cruise in 2023; it had similar stats...I think about 90% new to O, and heavily USA-based. There were also some large groups of what appeared to be alumni groups.

10 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Well I hope in Sept there will be no kids, hope they will all be in school but there are always some. Wish O had the Viking policy of no one under 18.

You and me both 🙂. My wife and I are on the 7 day Alaskan departing on the 7th Sept. We will form part of the first timer demographic but are from the UK so in the minority there.

1 hour ago, DJP31 said:

but are from the UK so in the minority ther

We've done three cruises with O (including a UK to UK one). On all three, Americans have been the overwhelming majority, followed by Canadians. It's almost like visiting North America for a holiday. 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Well I hope in Sept there will be no kids, hope they will all be in school but there are always some. Wish O had the Viking policy of no one under 18.

OTOH.  Given your lamentable comments in another recent thread on this board, the chances that Regatta might be pressed into service to rescue migrants in distress on a sinking raft or other small craft are probably two:  slim or none😷.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 6/23/2024 at 2:05 PM, lj77346 said:

Would you please send my love to Jennifer and ask how long she will be on board??

Jancruz1

Jancruz - I passed your message to Jennifer and she sends her regards. She will be on the Regatta until August. She goes to the Vista in September.

19 hours ago, lj77346 said:

Jancruz - I passed your message to Jennifer and she sends her regards. She will be on the Regatta until August. She goes to the Vista in September.

Thanks, I will be on Regatta in September so I will miss her..darn!!

Jancruz1

There were about 40 passengers aged 20 or less on the cruise. Rarely saw any children and those we saw and/or spoke with were very well behaved. Another observation was that there were very few people using walkers or scooters on this cruise.  In addition, we are the only 2 passengers sailing back-to-back. 

The cruise was very enjoyable, smooth sailing and good weather in all the ports (cloudy mornings and sunny afternoons with temperatures around 60). As always service was great and food was very good including 2 chefs Alaskan market nights in the Terrace Cafe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/24/2024 at 6:22 AM, Harters said:

We've done three cruises with O (including a UK to UK one). On all three, Americans have been the overwhelming majority, followed by Canadians. It's almost like visiting North America for a holiday. 

We did a Norwegian coastal cruise a few years ago. Their smallest ship, 100 pax, and only two other Americans. Loved it. Tons of things to talk about and very experienced travelers.

42 minutes ago, clo said:

We did a Norwegian coastal cruise a few years ago. Their smallest ship, 100 pax, and only two other Americans. Loved it. Tons of things to talk about and very experienced travelers.

I’ve noticed that you told us that already multiple times. Do you realize that it’s an Oceania cruise line board after all? Most people aren’t looking for the repeated information about the other lines. Also majority probably are Americans so I’m not sure why you would need to emphasise that you were the only Americans somewhere.

Edited by osandomir
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, osandomir said:

I’ve noticed that you told us that already multiple times. Do you realize that it’s an Oceania cruise line board after all? Most people aren’t looking for the repeated information about the other lines. Also majority probably are Americans so I’m not sure why you would need to emphasise that you were the only Americans somewhere.

Now take a deep breath. LOL.

I thing this is more about demographics than O but obviously you're one of those people 🙂

We love to travel and the main reason is to hang out with the locals. Being on a huge ship with all Americans isn't my idea of ideal. And I didn't even mention the dearth of children. 'Course we don't usually begin our travels from the US but rather from another continent. So I don't usually have to fear too many 'muricans.'

Okay, you can exhale now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

Now take a deep breath. LOL.

I thing this is more about demographics than O but obviously you're one of those people 🙂

We love to travel and the main reason is to hang out with the locals. Being on a huge ship with all Americans isn't my idea of ideal. And I didn't even mention the dearth of children. 'Course we don't usually begin our travels from the US but rather from another continent. So I don't usually have to fear too many 'muricans.'

Well, I feel that I just need to leave it as is. I probably shouldn’t mention anything to you at the first place.

Edited by osandomir
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is interesting to read about the change in demographics dependant on geography and time of year - it is obviously easier to observe for those who sail smaller ships rather than the behemoths. I have no issue with children on cruise ships - I do have an issue with parents who abdicate their parenting responsibilities the second they step onboard 😜

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Techno123 said:

It is interesting to read about the change in demographics dependant on geography and time of year - it is obviously easier to observe for those who sail smaller ships rather than the behemoths. I have no issue with children on cruise ships - I do have an issue with parents who abdicate their parenting responsibilities the second they step onboard 😜

Fwiw , I’ve yet to encounter any children on an Oceania ship that misbehaved or caused any issues. Not the same for those passengers with dementia whose spouses abdicated their responsibilities and allowed them to roam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

... I’ve yet to encounter any children on an Oceania ship that misbehaved or caused any issues. Not the same for those passengers with dementia whose spouses abdicated their responsibilities and allowed them to roam.

Sadly, have encountered the "dementia" issue, though in this case it appeared to be a solo traveler.

BUT, is a young man who turned 23 and got so drunk on his birthday evening that he had a 2-day hangover a "child"? Unfortunately, the passengers helped get him hammered by offering him free drinks. His mother hoped he'd learned a valuable lesson.

Both of these were on Sirena 11/2022.

• Haha 2

On 6/24/2024 at 12:51 PM, redraider1966 said:

OTOH.  Given your lamentable comments in another recent thread on this board, the chances that Regatta might be pressed into service to rescue migrants in distress on a sinking raft or other small craft are probably two:  slim or none😷.

Excellent !!!