Yacht Club Room Service less than expected

Kleeeee

We sailed the Euribia in Norway this spring. Wonderful ship and staff and we had a wonderful time. There were 2 things that were not as expected. I’m only going to bring up 1 for this post. The room service menu was very limited and you could not order from the MDR unless you were sick. This is different than what I had read and heard online before our trip. I’m wondering if MSC changed their policy fleet wide or if this was just the Euribia or just this sailing. Anybody know?

26 minutes ago, Kleeeee said:

We sailed the Euribia in Norway this spring. Wonderful ship and staff and we had a wonderful time. There were 2 things that were not as expected. I’m only going to bring up 1 for this post. The room service menu was very limited and you could not order from the MDR unless you were sick. This is different than what I had read and heard online before our trip. I’m wondering if MSC changed their policy fleet wide or if this was just the Euribia or just this sailing. Anybody know?

No it was the same on the Seashore out of Florida in May.The room service menu was limited but great pizza.. If it was better in the past I wasn’t aware of it. I also never heard that we could order from MDR for room service. 

Edited by Mommapadraig

This made me wonder so I googled the question. This answer is from November 2017.

That is standard on all MSC ships. You can't order from either the MDR or the YC restaurant menus except in the case of being confined to your cabin due to illness.

Edited by Mommapadraig

1 hour ago, no1talks said:

To call MSC's room service "underwhelming" would be an "understatement." 🤨

It is all relative. We tried room service on Regent Grandeur and the fare was inedible. I am not a waster of food, but in this case I made an exception and called room service to remove the meal. Complained to our waiter and he admitted that room service fare is not the same food as in the restaurants or the buffets. Why? He had no answer.

Edited by morpheusofthesea

3 hours ago, Mommapadraig said:

This made me wonder so I googled the question. This answer is from November 2017.

That is standard on all MSC ships. You can't order from either the MDR or the YC restaurant menus except in the case of being confined to your cabin due to illness.

Same thing in NCL Haven Restaurant. Bought into the influencers' hype that one could order off specialty dining in the Haven restaurant and once on board, NO. Then we noticed one dinner time a waitress bring a couple an oriental dish from another restaurant, I guess one has to be an influencer to get that special treatment. One does not have to be a VIP to get special treatment in the YC restaurant. Just another reason we switched over to MSC YC.

P.S. In the Celebrity Retreat a FB host bragged to her readers that she stayed in a Penthouse suite and got new bathrobes as a gift. Four weeks later we were on the Equinox in the penthouse suite and I asked about if we get new bathrobes as a gift. NO. I presented the concierges (3) with a photocopy of the FB hosts post. They came back and said that she is an influencer and received special treatment. That they would make an exception in our case and we got the new robes. Moral...get proof in writing.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

We have been underwhelmed ordering full dining meals to our owners suite on Princess. Food was good, but you had to make sure you ordered everything you might need other than a knife and fork. Butter, salt and pepper, steak sauce, dressing for the salad and anything thing else that might be included in your dining room experience. We did this once after a long day in port. We have since gone to the MDR for most of our meals at night. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Kleeeee said:

Actually it is 100% consistent with what has been said on the boards.  The room service menu in YC is limited, while the Aurea room service menu is more extensive (though I can't speak to the taste or quality.)  I do wish they had better "late afternoon coming in from excursion" type offerings, other than a meh Club Sandwich with chips, but it's not a deal breaker.

10 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

Actually it is 100% consistent with what has been said on the boards.  The room service menu in YC is limited, while the Aurea room service menu is more extensive (though I can't speak to the taste or quality.)  I do wish they had better "late afternoon coming in from excursion" type offerings, other than a meh Club Sandwich with chips, but it's not a deal breaker.

I agree. I wonder where they read the incorrect info.I’ve never seen it and I follow a lot of MSC boards.We’ve only cruised yacht club so its  interesting that Aurea has a more extensive menu. However I guess it doesn’t matter. The only thing we got from room service was the delicious pizza. We did enjoy the snacks set out every day in the top sail lounge..

15 hours ago, Kleeeee said:

The room service menu was very limited and you could not order from the MDR unless you were sick. This is different than what I had read and heard online before our trip. I’m wondering if MSC changed their policy fleet wide or if this was just the Euribia or just this sailing. Anybody know?

MSC never (at least not in the last 20 years) let you order from the MDR to the room if you are not sick. This is absolutely normal, also the other European mainstream lines have the same policy. Europeans more or less do not use the room service at all with the exception of breakfast on the balcony. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Same thing in NCL Haven Restaurant. Bought into the influencers' hype that one could order off specialty dining in the Haven restaurant and once on board, NO. Then we noticed one dinner time a waitress bring a couple an oriental dish from another restaurant, I guess one has to be an influencer to get that special treatment. One does not have to be a VIP to get special treatment in the YC restaurant. Just another reason we switched over to MSC YC.

P.S. In the Celebrity Retreat a FB host bragged to her readers that she stayed in a Penthouse suite and got new bathrobes as a gift. Four weeks later we were on the Equinox in the penthouse suite and I asked about if we get new bathrobes as a gift. NO. I presented the concierges (3) with a photocopy of the FB hosts post. They came back and said that she is an influencer and received special treatment. That they would make an exception in our case and we got the new robes. Moral...get proof in writing.

When Facebookers, tiktokers, etc make reviews, I take them with a grain of salt. If the cruise line knows they are on board, they will get service that the average joe will never get.

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2024 at 11:28 PM, Kleeeee said:

This has always been the policy, nothing has changed for that ship or sailing. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

im the farthest thing from an influencer but if i dont get my monogramed pjs in my edge villa on ascent maybe i will become one 🙂  it's part of the package and i expect it whether i do videos or not

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

im the farthest thing from an influencer but if i dont get my monogramed pjs in my edge villa on ascent maybe i will become one 🙂  it's part of the package and i expect it whether i do videos or not

We received our monogrammed PJ's while staying in the RS on Silhouette.  I recommend you order up a size or 2...they shrink terribly.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

Sometimes the monogram machine isn't working. Sometimes one might not want them monogramed to give as gifts. Also the luggage will be only delivered to the living room deck and must carry one's own luggage up stairs where all the storage closets exist and then carry luggage back down when time to leave. The balcony has no shade, bring an attachable umbrella. All the pergolas/cabanas were chair hogged on the Retreat Deck and the airconditioning thermostat could not be lowered and the Luminae menu was rather limited.

23 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"Influencer - Shminfluencer"  Who cares! Does anyone really pay attention to those peeps?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Who cares!

Obviously the cruise lines care with all the 'special' attention influencers are given. During inaugural day in New York City, all the big wigs came on board the Explora 1 with all the invited influencers and the staff asked all the paying passengers to disembark giving them tours instead of allowing them to stay on the ship and take part in the festivities. How would DW and I have felt booking a Residence and never get off a ship (except Ocean Cay for an hour) being asked to get off and do not return until we finish our inaugural.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

How would DW and I have felt booking a Residence and never get off a ship (except Ocean Cay for an hour) being asked to get off and do not return until we finish our inaugural.

I would be telling people in a very loud voice to place large objects where it may be anatomically unfeasible or at least extremely painful.  

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We received our monogrammed PJ's while staying in the RS on Silhouette.  I recommend you order up a size or 2...they shrink terribly.

They're only intended to fit properly at the beginning of a cruise. 

Edited by bucfan2
  • Haha 5