Suite Guests and Drink Packages plus Suite info please

I am travelling with a family group in 3 Grand Suites (Wonder) with 6 adults and 4 children in September.  We are Sky Class- Grand Suites. Should we buy drink packages? In each case, only one each of the couples would likely order more than sodas or coffees/teas very often. So one drinker/one deluxe beverage person in each Suite. We are experienced Suite Cruisers (Celebrity and Viking) but worried the suite experience may end up being lacking for us with Royal .

Will take any/all advice and tips please to make the best of the family vacation!

Thank you in advance.

In my experience, based on the details you gave, I would not opt for the drinks package if it was me.  .  

The Oasis class suites will have beer and wine available in the suites lounge/coastal kitchen area during the day.  They will also have coffee/coffee machine for specialty coffees and teas available.  During the evening happy hours mixed drinks/cocktails will be available.  

Not sure how the party is booked but I’m guessing that everyone in one room with a person that might benefit from getting the package would have to get the package

The only reason to get the drinks package is if the party is planning on having more than what is offered “free”.  Then you have to balance that cost for the whole group.  Wonder does have a slight difference in the layout of the suites area/lounge from other Oasis class ships so that might play a role.

2 hours ago, wdwkings said:

In my experience, based on the details you gave, I would not opt for the drinks package if it was me.  .  

The Oasis class suites will have beer and wine available in the suites lounge/coastal kitchen area during the day.  They will also have coffee/coffee machine for specialty coffees and teas available.  During the evening happy hours mixed drinks/cocktails will be available.  

Not sure how the party is booked but I’m guessing that everyone in one room with a person that might benefit from getting the package would have to get the package

The only reason to get the drinks package is if the party is planning on having more than what is offered “free”.  Then you have to balance that cost for the whole group.  Wonder does have a slight difference in the layout of the suites area/lounge from other Oasis class ships so that might play a role.

Can you give more details about the layout of the suite lounge/suite área? 

thabks!

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Seespot said:

I am travelling with a family group in 3 Grand Suites (Wonder) with 6 adults and 4 children in September.  We are Sky Class- Grand Suites. Should we buy drink packages? In each case, only one each of the couples would likely order more than sodas or coffees/teas very often. So one drinker/one deluxe beverage person in each Suite. We are experienced Suite Cruisers (Celebrity and Viking) but worried the suite experience may end up being lacking for us with Royal .

Will take any/all advice and tips please to make the best of the family vacation!

Thank you in advance.

You might consider the soft drink packages for the children.  Or you might be able to get them soft drinks and water in the suite lounge.

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I was definitely disappointed at oasis class perks for grand suites after doing suites on celebrity. Have not cruised Wonder but did 3 other oasis class. Perks are suite restaurant which is not as good as Luminae and a 3 hour happy hour with free liquor, beer wine and soda is available in suite lounge during the day .

Edited by George C

19 minutes ago, George C said:

I was definitely disappointed at oasis class perks for grand suites after doing suites on celebrity. Have not cruised Wonder but did 3 other oasis class. Perks are suite restaurant which is not as good as Luminae and a 3 hour happy hour with free liquor, beer wine and soda is available in suite lounge during the day .

I’m gathering that from my research and am trying to adjust if needed at this point.  We sail in 60 days and I’m figuring out that we probably won’t get our Celebrity Royal Suite experience on Royal Oasis class. 

Thank you! Any more info is appreciated. 

• Like 1

On Wonder the Grand Suites are located on the same level as the Coastal Kitchen so it's very convenient to pop in there and get a drink if you are in your room.  As @wdwkings mentioned, if one person in the suite gets the DBP then all of the adults in that room must get a drink package as well (although it does not have to be the alcohol package).  Unless you have some very heavy drinkers in your group I would say that the DPB would be a waste of money but only you can make that determination.  Water, sodas, beer and wine are complimentary to full suite guests in the Coastal Kitchen from 11AM-11PM....and cocktails are available during the evening happy hour.

• Like 2

Suite perks no way compare to Celebrity.  The tradeoff however, is with kids,there are many more things for them to enjoy than on Celebrity or Viking.  The Suite sundeck is nice perk.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

Suite perks no way compare to Celebrity.  The tradeoff however, is with kids,there are many more things for them to enjoy than on Celebrity or Viking.  The Suite sundeck is nice perk.

Rccl suite sundeck can’t be compared to E class outdoor retreat. Also since posted did royal suite you would have to be star class to match perks such as specialty restaurants.

1 hour ago, George C said:

What do Celebrity suite perks get you that is better? Serious question. I've looked in the past and saw nothing that stood out to me.

Celebrity v. Royal: The overwhelming benefit (for PINs) is a full beverage package on Celebrity.

We cruise on Wonder about 8 weeks a year in Grand Suites. If you are Diamond or higher you will get drink vouchers on your card that you can use at any venue. There are a lot of bars/venues to enjoy on the Wonder and to confine yourself to just the suite lounge 24/7 for beverages would be a shame.

No status (free drinks) = buy drink package

Kids like the on-demand soda machines (mix your own) = buy them a beverage package

8 minutes ago, Bead Pirate said:

Celebrity v. Royal: The overwhelming benefit (for PINs) is a full beverage package on Celebrity.

We cruise on Wonder about 8 weeks a year in Grand Suites. If you are Diamond or higher you will get drink vouchers on your card that you can use at any venue. There are a lot of bars/venues to enjoy on the Wonder and to confine yourself to just the suite lounge 24/7 for beverages would be a shame.

No status (free drinks) = buy drink package

Kids like the on-demand soda machines (mix your own) = buy them a beverage package

This is where we are leaning- or just buying drinks as we are out and about on the ship!  Drinks are not the reason we cruise but a factor to navigate wisely!

thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

What do Celebrity suite perks get you that is better? Serious question. I've looked in the past and saw nothing that stood out to me.

Poster said he did royal suite on celebrity, much larger suite with huge balcony with hot tub, free specialty restaurants, two liters of liquor of your choice, daily refill of beer and drinks in fridge. Their suite lounge is open entire day for liquor beer and wine , better suite restaurant. 

10 minutes ago, George C said:

Poster said he did royal suite on celebrity, much larger suite with huge balcony with hot tub, free specialty restaurants, two liters of liquor of your choice, daily refill of beer and drinks in fridge. Their suite lounge is open entire day for liquor beer and wine , better suite restaurant. 

All true. We aren’t expecting the same level of suite amenities but want to prepare for how much difference we may experience

14 minutes ago, George C said:

That sounds like RC Star Class.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seespot said:

All true. We aren’t expecting the same level of suite amenities but want to prepare for how much difference we may experience

In general I like grand suites , nice bathroom with double sinks , my main negative issue is shower and tub combo, tricky climbing in tub to take a shower. In general entertainment is better on rccl. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seespot said:

I’m gathering that from my research and am trying to adjust if needed at this point.  We sail in 60 days and I’m figuring out that we probably won’t get our Celebrity Royal Suite experience on Royal Oasis class. 

Thank you! Any more info is appreciated. 

One question - what is your loyalty status on X? Depending on that, you may not need any package on RCL because of the number of drink vouchers you may receive.

• Like 1

I would just do the math at $14 per drink and see whether the package cost makes sense. If you have the budget for the package then it makes life easy - just order what you want, when you want, where you want and not have to think about it. It's a big ship and if you're not near the suite lounge bar then that limits your options for free drinks.

• Like 1

DH enjoys his drinks while on vacation while I don't really drink.  I normally call Customer Service and purchase the deluxe beverage package for DH and the Refreshment package for myself.  From the Cruise Planner, if one adult in the room purchases the DBP, then it adds the package for all the adults in the room.  Calling Customer Service is the only way to have different packages.  I'm not sure if it has to be the Refreshment package as the alternative or if they will let you purchase just the Soda package.  

• Like 2

While we love royal Oasis class, not the same as Celebrity-more expensive, less perks.  However to the question, since you will be getting water, soda, wine and beer all day on Royal- and other alcoholic drinks and canapes from 5-8 at night, unless you are heavy drinkers surely not worth it.   if you drink an alcoholic beverage or two during the day, so much cheaper.  Also if you have a lot of port days, you will drink, probably much less.

We take water from the suite lounge on shore x's from the lounge.  Bring water and wine up to suite sun deck. Enjoy your cruise- 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

It depends on the class of the Royal ship.  There are two suite programs.  The older ships like Freedom Class do not have a CK/ suite restaurant.  And the suite program does not even provide included WiFi.  We will be in a 2-BR GS on Indy next year.  It is just as expensive but these amenities are not included.  But we booked for the itinerary.  Even the lowest level S3 sky suite on Celebrity is much better than the suite program on these older RCCL ships.

• Like 1

The limiting factor is really having to go to the suite lounge for drinks. It’s not always convenient to where you might decide you want one unless you keep to the suite area. If you have enough points with X to be Diamond on Royal, then that would help alleviate that issue.

The suite program seems like a confusing product to me with Royal as the three levels (Star, Sky, and Sea) are all different and then only exist on certain ships. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

It depends on the class of the Royal ship.  There are two suite programs.  The older ships like Freedom Class do not have a CK/ suite restaurant.  And the suite program does not even provide included WiFi.  We will be in a 2-BR GS on Indy next year.  It is just as expensive but these amenities are not included.  But we booked for the itinerary.  Even the lowest level S3 sky suite on Celebrity is much better than the suite program on these older RCCL ships.

Celebrity definitely has better suite perks and similar perks across their fleet , all have suite restaurant and a suite lounge open all day with liquor all day not just for 3 hours .