First Time on Signature Class Ship

We have booked a 21 Night Panama Canal Cruise aboard Eurodam.

We are 4 star mariners.  We have sailed on almost every Class HAL ship, but this will be our first Signature Class experience.

We have booked a Neptune Suite.  

Our past few cruises have been aboard Koningsdam and we have loved eating at the Club Orange dining venue.

We’re excited about this cruise but a little concerned about not having the CO dining room.

For those mariners who sailed the Signature Class ships, what has been your experience?

Thanks so much for your input!

Sam

Have never eaten in a Club Orange, and have been on N. Statendam and Koningsdam, as well as both N. Amsterdam and Eurodam. Always in a Neptune. We didn't miss any meals or lose any weight. You will be fine.

All you have to do is make sure your waiters give you the Club Orange menu.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Have never eaten in a Club Orange, and have been on N. Statendam and Koningsdam, as well as both N. Amsterdam and Eurodam. Always in a Neptune. We didn't miss any meals or lose any weight. You will be fine.

All you have to do is make sure your waiters give you the Club Orange menu.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!  I guess I’m not as concerned about the menu as I am about the intimacy of the CO dining room vs the MDR.  It’s just DW and me and we have started avoiding the MDR because of the crowds.  

I may be overthinking this.  

Sam

1 hour ago, fsdj1097 said:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!  I guess I’m not as concerned about the menu as I am about the intimacy of the CO dining room vs the MDR.  It’s just DW and me and we have started avoiding the MDR because of the crowds.  

I may be overthinking this.  

Sam

TBH, yes, I think you are overthinking it. You are in a Neptune suite. You should be able to get a table for 2 in either style of dining. We do all the time, no problem, for the entire cruise. We don't seek out the very popular window seats, rather we seek seating we we can see much of the stern area, and we people watch.

One reason we don't do the CO on the Pinnacle ships, is we don't like the fish bowl of people walking by looking at us as if we are in a zoo.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

TBH, yes, I think you are overthinking it. You are in a Neptune suite. You should be able to get a table for 2 in either style of dining. We do all the time, no problem, for the entire cruise. We don't seek out the very popular window seats, rather we seek seating we we can see much of the stern area, and we people watch.

One reason we don't do the CO on the Pinnacle ships, is we don't like the fish bowl of people walking by looking at us as if we are in a zoo.

I agree about the fishbowl feeling in the CO dining room (Koningsdam).  

@fsdj1097, you didn't say if you've got open dining or fixed. I did early fixed when I was on Eurodam, so I didn't pay attention to the open dining queues, but I'm pretty sure there's a separate queue for CO (which includes Neptunes). If you've got fixed dining, check your assignment. There are 2-tops along the rail looking down over the lower section. They give you a feel of not being closed in with a crowd. Perhaps ask for one of those.

Unlike the Vistas, the Signatures have Tamarind. Don't miss that!

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 2

On our last cruise, our originally assigned fixed dining table was not to our liking. Tables for 2 were too close together, and the “neighbors” wouldn’t stop talking to us. I spoke with the Neptune concierge, and we were assigned a table for 6 as a two-top, and had a spectacular waiter and assistant. The Neptune concierges are magicians and miracle workers. 

• Like 2

I just want to echo what's been said about your concierges in the Neptune lounge.  Use their services and you will have nice dining situations every evening, even without the dedicated CO dining room.  I understand your reticence about the MDR though, and even about Signature class in general - my least favorite of the 4 classes, The experience can range from absolutely lovely to horrendous depending on so many factors, but as said, since you will have a Neptune suite you should find it all good. 

A recent change is that Neptune Lounge concierge no longer works on your MDR reservations. You need to do that at the MDR podium immediately upon boarding. There will be a podium I the Lido Pool area, and one either outside the MDR, or sometimes near Pinnacle. 

If you are trying for a specific table or location,  try to have a list of desired/acceptable table numbers.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

A recent change is that Neptune Lounge concierge no longer works on your MDR reservations.

That seems like a slap in the face to those forking out $$$ for a Neptune. There is No way a Neptune guest should be waiting in that long line at the podium at boarding. Even if the line wasn't long, isn't this what a concierge is for? 

IMO this is a penny wise and pound foolish move on HAL's part. Meanwhile;  other lines are training butlers in order to really ramp up the suite life (which is where the real profit comes from in this industry). 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

While on the Nieuw Amsterdam last month in a Neptune, we had friends travelling with us who had Club Orange.  We linked our bookings so we would be expected to dine together.  Any night we went to the MDR walk up to the Club Orange check in, we had a table for 4 with maximum wait of perhaps 3 minutes.  Usually went to MDR on deck 2 around 630 or so.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.  We always prefer early, fixed MDR.  We also know the value of the Neptune Lounge concierge staff.  They are truly an asset.  

I was thinking that I saw somewhere on CC that on the Signature Class ships, Neptune Suite guests could have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill, as it was prior to the Club Orange.  Is that statement correct?

Thanks again all!

Sam

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fsdj1097 said:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.  We always prefer early, fixed MDR.  We also know the value of the Neptune Lounge concierge staff.  They are truly an asset.  

I was thinking that I saw somewhere on CC that on the Signature Class ships, Neptune Suite guests could have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill, as it was prior to the Club Orange.  Is that statement correct?

Thanks again all!

Sam

Yes. Any ship that doesn't have a CO restaurant will have breakfast for Neptunes in Pinnacle Restaurant. 

I love breakfast in the Pinnacle. They seem to always seat us near a window so we can watch the scenery or the arrival in port.

We always request late fixed and give our TA our table preferences. Last time we had a table for four as a couple.

1 hour ago, bartexas said:

I love breakfast in the Pinnacle. They seem to always seat us near a window so we can watch the scenery or the arrival in port.

We always request late fixed and give our TA our table preferences. Last time we had a table for four as a couple.

Depends on the ship as some don't have windows. 

On 6/27/2024 at 12:34 PM, fsdj1097 said:

We have booked a 21 Night Panama Canal Cruise aboard Eurodam.

We are 4 star mariners.  We have sailed on almost every Class HAL ship, but this will be our first Signature Class experience.

We have booked a Neptune Suite.  

Our past few cruises have been aboard Koningsdam and we have loved eating at the Club Orange dining venue.

We’re excited about this cruise but a little concerned about not having the CO dining room.

For those mariners who sailed the Signature Class ships, what has been your experience?

Thanks so much for your input!

Sam

MDR is really about communicating to mature d' and serving staff. If you have specific requests (seating, time restrictions, when you'd like service, etc) let them know before hand (nicely) and they will be accommodating. The benefit of paying extra for CO or Neptune is better service (unfortunately for others) but on Eurodam the MDR is not as hectic as Pinnacle Class ships. We do prefer CO dining on Pinnacle Class due to the MDR issues. But it limits who you meet and eat with (if that is what you want). On Eurodam you can eat with non CO passengers that you meet, in the CO area but the extra choice entree has to equal the number of CO passengers at the table. 

We have heard mention of 'Panama Rolls' from other sailings through the Canal.  Do any of the other posters on this thread have any experience with the Panama Rolls?  

Also, we have cruised to Alaska aboard HAL ships for many years and always enjoy the split pea soup that they serve on deck during visits to Glacier Bay.  

I'm sure many of you have favorite HAL delicacies, as well.  What are some of your favorite dishes and specialties?

3 hours ago, fsdj1097 said:

We have heard mention of 'Panama Rolls' from other sailings through the Canal.  Do any of the other posters on this thread have any experience with the Panama Rolls?  

Also, we have cruised to Alaska aboard HAL ships for many years and always enjoy the split pea soup that they serve on deck during visits to Glacier Bay.  

I'm sure many of you have favorite HAL delicacies, as well.  What are some of your favorite dishes and specialties?

L2010514.JPG

Panama Rolls were served while going through the locks on our PC cruise. Our dinner waiter said he had to be outside to start serving them at 5am.

Split Pea Soup served in Crow's Nest on Eurodam while going through Glacier Bay. Served 1 cup at a time, they'll give you as much as you want - the couple next to me had 3 cups each!

20230502_103310.thumb.jpg.70e20655448ee07bc5cea1bc7dc41d04.jpg

20230502_102536.thumb.jpg.1199cb3a0317ac2da275b0e2ad396e28.jpg

Favorite HAL "dish" is Candied Clothesline Bacon from the PG.

IMG_20240112_170322073_HDR.thumb.jpg.8f4ede4af3966f9af9cf5dbce4d16738.jpg.022fd6772665c0c3b2a9c8dc2636d8ea.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1

I have enjoyed the Panama rolls every time I passed through the canal.  On one cruise, I attended a cooking demo where the rolls were prepared and samples given to all.  They are filled with vanilla custard and mandarin oranges and quite delicious.  They can be found among the breakfast pastries in the Lido Market on Panama Canal morning.

image.jpeg.3e556c41055d84725899b620868fddae.jpeg

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We spent 52 days in January and February this year on the Eurodam in an aft Neptune Suite and we were both 4 Star Mariners when we boarded.  We spoke to the maitre d when we arrived for early dining.  Being in the separate CO line which is also for Neptune Suites made it easy.  We asked for a two person table and were given a beautiful one in the raised dining area behind the maitre d desk. We had wonderful service and after one meal with not so warm food we told our waiters we wanted hot food and that was all we needed to have hot food.  We dined early and so our table was ours for the duration of the 52 days other than when they moved our waiters to another section so we were moved nearby to their section.  They didn't move our waiters again while we were onboard.  As a courtesy to the maitre d whenever we had specialty dining we let our waiters and maitre d know we would not be needing our table.  Your 4 Star status and that gold bar at the bottom of your key card assures you will get consideration for your dining requests.  

We did try the Pinnacle for breakfast several times and we were disappointed by the food and the service.  Sometimes they just didn't take the order without being asked. It go so the only reason we ate breakfast there was to stay in touch with a friend who is President's Club who was on board longer than we were.  The Eurodam was full and trying to get a seat in the Lido was problematic.  We usually would walk through and decide to go to the Neptune Lounge and enjoy the spread that was there each morning.  I still miss that on demand cappuccino machine.  There was also a dedicated concierge in the lounge which was wonderful.  

Edited by ottahand7