Dumbing Down & Dressing Down: The New Cunard?

38 minutes ago, tacticalbanjo said:

My 2 year old has 5 Cunard trips under her belt and I've never had a bad experience. This is not to cast doubt on your experiences as I'm sure we've all read perfectly truthful reviews which are the complete opposite of what we experienced on the same cruise because we were lucky enough to avoid the annoying passenger/poor service/broken toilet etc in question. I'm probably too oblivious to notice any dirty looks or snooty comments!

Your two year old is a very lucky young thing. 😀

• Like 5

I don't mind seeing children onboard, though whilst not a baby anymore I am on the younger side of the passenger list usually. There aren't generally many children as Cunard isn't really very appealing to (those who have) children.

I feel like these conversations often end up accidentally skewed/perceived the wrong way. Largely, it's not a question of the wrong guest, it's a question of a person choosing the wrong ship. Rather than go on a ship that has a smart dress code and many formal nights, if that isn't what you want to do then try a line that doesn't do that. There are so many different ships now that almost everyone can be catered for and that would be much nicer than people booking the 'wrong ship' and then having the holiday that they wanted in a place where it doesn't really fit.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, tacticalbanjo said:

My 2 year old has 5 Cunard trips under her belt and I've never had a bad experience. This is not to cast doubt on your experiences as I'm sure we've all read perfectly truthful reviews which are the complete opposite of what we experienced on the same cruise because we were lucky enough to avoid the annoying passenger/poor service/broken toilet etc in question. I'm probably too oblivious to notice any dirty looks or snooty comments!

What a life that wee baby has!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

I don't mind seeing children onboard, though whilst not a baby anymore I am on the younger side of the passenger list usually. There aren't generally many children as Cunard isn't really very appealing to (those who have) children.

I feel like these conversations often end up accidentally skewed/perceived the wrong way. Largely, it's not a question of the wrong guest, it's a question of a person choosing the wrong ship. Rather than go on a ship that has a smart dress code and many formal nights, if that isn't what you want to do then try a line that doesn't do that. There are so many different ships now that almost everyone can be catered for and that would be much nicer than people booking the 'wrong ship' and then having the holiday that they wanted in a place where it doesn't really fit.

It's also people saying others are choosing the "wrong ship" because they don't want to go above and beyond the stated dress code - even if they fully intend to adhere to it, and the Gala Evenings. 

• Like 1

Surely choosing a cruise/cruise line is the same as most other purchases in life - it is a compromise based on personal preferences, as from my long experience with making purchases of one kind or another there is very rarely "perfection".

For me the number one priority for a cruise is itinerary, followed by access to embarkation/disembarkation point. Next comes price, then comes dining options followed by ship's facilities. Another factor will be previous experience of ship/cruise line (which may be from other passenger reviews if I have not used that cruise line) and then probably will be dress code and adherence of it.

Each of those options will be addressed and either accepted or rejected on a cruise by cruise basis - others will have a the options in a different priority but whatever the priority at some point a compromise has to be made.

If there was a particular cruise itinerary that I wanted to do and the only cruise line doing that itinerary had a very relaxed dress code then that would be compromise but on the other hand if I wanted a very formal dress code as a key ingredient of my cruise then I would forgo the itinerary.

What I would not be doing though is trying to change any cruise line to align with my preferences as some seem to believe a cruise line should do.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Winifred 22 said:

My new grandson is eagerly awaiting his 6 month birthday so he can begin his Cunard adventures. 

Whereas my nieces (15 and 12) have promised that they will become the vilest creatures imaginable if they're ever forced on board a Cunard ship! Thankfully for other passengers, their mum didn't particularly enjoy her one time on board, so I think we're all safe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I have fairly vivid memories of family holidays from around the age of 3. I'm sure there must have been times when I was very young that I would have stamped my feet and screamed if I was denied something, perhaps being forced to leave an activity I was enjoying because the family were moving on. I probably selectively forget most instances. However with exception of beaches and the odd playground, most activities were adult. I was perfectly happy with visits to relatives, parks, museums, cathedrals etc. I did find The Natural History and Science museums more interesting than paintings and relics but in the latter I would just quietly occupy myself with wandering around looking at aspects of the building while others did their boring stuff.

Transport was generally by coach or train rather than cruises. I think the longest sailing other than my emigration from Shetland, which I've no memory of, was a trip out in the North Sea to sail round Radio Caroline. Not sure what the point of that was, perhaps to amuse my older siblings. But on trains and coaches I didn't need any activities provided, just amusing myself with watching the countryside or quietly wandering about the coach/train.

By my teens I was more interested in girls than running around making a noise. I do see groups of teens occasionally being noisy but would expect most sailing on Cunard to be in family groups and generally behaving as I would have done at that age.

I'm sure things must get fairly rowdy on ships that are aimed at noisy family holidays, but I can't really imagine children behaving like that on a Cunard ship. We didn't notice many children on our crossings. The one that stood out was a charming young Polish lady, probably aged around 18 months, who wanted to dance. She is obviously going to take after her young mother who given the opportunity to dance when someone looked after her daughter, appeared to be very accomplished.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, D&N said:

I have fairly vivid memories of family holidays from around the age of 3. I'm sure there must have been times when I was very young that I would have stamped my feet and screamed if I was denied something, perhaps being forced to leave an activity I was enjoying because the family were moving on. I probably selectively forget most instances. However with exception of beaches and the odd playground, most activities were adult. I was perfectly happy with visits to relatives, parks, museums, cathedrals etc. I did find The Natural History and Science museums more interesting than paintings and relics but in the latter I would just quietly occupy myself with wandering around looking at aspects of the building while others did their boring stuff.

Transport was generally by coach or train rather than cruises. I think the longest sailing other than my emigration from Shetland, which I've no memory of, was a trip out in the North Sea to sail round Radio Caroline. Not sure what the point of that was, perhaps to amuse my older siblings. But on trains and coaches I didn't need any activities provided, just amusing myself with watching the countryside or quietly wandering about the coach/train.

By my teens I was more interested in girls than running around making a noise. I do see groups of teens occasionally being noisy but would expect most sailing on Cunard to be in family groups and generally behaving as I would have done at that age.

I'm sure things must get fairly rowdy on ships that are aimed at noisy family holidays, but I can't really imagine children behaving like that on a Cunard ship. We didn't notice many children on our crossings. The one that stood out was a charming young Polish lady, probably aged around 18 months, who wanted to dance. She is obviously going to take after her young mother who given the opportunity to dance when someone looked after her daughter, appeared to be very accomplished.

I would have loved to have seen the little sweetie.

I like children and love to interact with them but not too many at one time.

• Like 3

I have been reading this thread with interest. In three weeks I am on QA for my very first cruise. I am aged 65 and have never ever done black tie.

I used to wear a collar and tie for work, but not in the last 20 years or so. Normally I wear jeans/chinos and a polo shirt. Occasionally I will wear a nice shirt and jacket if we go out for a meal. And I do have a couple of nice suits, which don’t get worn very often.

My first thoughts were that I’m not all that bothered about dressing up. However my partner is really looking forward to the gala nights. So I’ve bought a tuxedo, shirts, bow tie, new shoes etc.

So I will definitely be adhering to the dress code, and will probably wear a jacket much more than I normally do. But dressing “to the nines” or “channeling my inner James Bond”? No definitely not!

• Like 12

Going back to the OP's original comment re number of Gala nights, I'm booked on a 12 night QV transatlantic in Jan 2025 and we have 3 Gala nights. I thought that was pretty good !!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Wow, this is scaring me a bit about my first voyage with Cunard.  The QM2 transatlantic has always been on my bucket list ever since I was a child, but never on DH’s.  We have travelled the world, but now getting a bit up there as most Boomers. So I am taking my niece next Fall.  Thankfully I am because dressing nice will be a bit easier for two women.  Had I read the dress code before booking it would’ve been an even harder NO for DH.  I have wanted to take this voyage all my life for the voyage itself!  But reading through these threads it seems like a lot of people take the trip not so much for the voyage but just so they can dress to the nines.  And that’s fine, but gosh it’s a bit scary feeling like if I wear a nice pantsuit or woman’s tux on a Gala night I will be shamed beyond measure.  Due to some health issues I cannot wear heels anymore.  Thus my plan to focus more on the nicest pantsuits I can, maybe a cocktail dress that can be worn with doctor recommended flats (not trainers but not fancy either).  Is there not a place in the dining room for people like me who are traveling for the voyage itself ?  My niece and I are booked in Brittania Club.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, CPs4591 said:

Wow, this is scaring me a bit about my first voyage with Cunard.  The QM2 transatlantic has always been on my bucket list ever since I was a child, but never on DH’s.  We have travelled the world, but now getting a bit up there as most Boomers. So I am taking my niece next Fall.  Thankfully I am because dressing nice will be a bit easier for two women.  Had I read the dress code before booking it would’ve been an even harder NO for DH.  I have wanted to take this voyage all my life for the voyage itself!  But reading through these threads it seems like a lot of people take the trip not so much for the voyage but just so they can dress to the nines.  And that’s fine, but gosh it’s a bit scary feeling like if I wear a nice pantsuit or woman’s tux on a Gala night I will be shamed beyond measure.  Due to some health issues I cannot wear heels anymore.  Thus my plan to focus more on the nicest pantsuits I can, maybe a cocktail dress that can be worn with doctor recommended flats (not trainers but not fancy either).  Is there not a place in the dining room for people like me who are traveling for the voyage itself ?  My niece and I are booked in Brittania Club.  

Mind at rest….

DW wears Pumps, also jewelled sandals, with a Trouser Suit in Club… Never considered under dressed.  Enjoy…

suggestion…. A wrist flower corsage on a Gala night for one’s niece.

A memory?

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Corsage

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Mind at rest….

DW wears Pumps, also jewelled sandals, with a Trouser Suit in Club… Never considered under dressed.  Enjoy…

suggestion…. A wrist flower corsage on a Gala night for one’s niece.

A memory?

Thanks, that’s a good idea.  I’m sure she will be able to dress a bit more than me, she’s 30+ years younger!  But, like others, we will be traveling in the UK before the voyage so don’t want to have to schlep a lot of luggage.  That is a conundrum so the corsage idea is a nice one! 

9 hours ago, CPs4591 said:

You’ll be fine. You won’t be shamed. And remember a lot of Cunard passengers, including myself are far too short sighted to notice things like heel heights. Mind you they would notice if you turned up on gala nights in shorts and a sweaty T shirt, but what you plan on will be fine, fine, fine.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

You’ll be fine. You won’t be shamed. And remember a lot of Cunard passengers, including myself are far too short sighted to notice things like heel heights. Mind you they would notice if you turned up on gala nights in shorts and a sweaty T shirt, but what you plan on will be fine, fine, fine.

Totally agree and an added note, if a friend of mine could turn up in crocs [black of course and worn due to enlarged foot problems, not to be contrary]  accessorising his DJ on Gala nights, then no one should be concerned about flatties, good looking or 'sensible'.

Don't forget, the opinions expressed online will be from a minute percentage of actual passengers. Enjoy.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CPs4591 said:

Thanks, that’s a good idea.  I’m sure she will be able to dress a bit more than me, she’s 30+ years younger!  But, like others, we will be traveling in the UK before the voyage so don’t want to have to schlep a lot of luggage.  That is a conundrum so the corsage idea is a nice one! 

The conundrum?   Cunard Luggage Forward Service could be the answer.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CPs4591 said:

A nice pantsuit and a women’s tuxedo on Gala night IS following the dress code. I don’t wear heels on Cunard post lock down. No one has ever said anything. Again the dress code doesn’t mandate heels. I wear ballet flats but if a doctor has told me to wear a specific style of shoe then I would be wearing them without hesitation. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

CPs, I am not an authority on ladies' dress, but you will do fine and feel comfortable. As a general statement, the TA crossing does allow those who want to dress up as much as they can to do so. But most respect the dress code rather than try to look like someone auditioning for a job as a model in the next Cunard brochure were they 35 years younger. 

On the male side, I do not wear a tuxedo. I bring a dark blue suit and wear white shirts and simple ties. I feel as dressed up as any other male passenger. This thread is now 13 pages. Those contributing make up about .0001 percent of those who sail on Cunard. And my guess is that one-tenth of those on a TA crossing feel really passionate about the strictest dress standards. I readily admit that most contributing on this thread have much more experience sailing on Cunard than do I. But based on a recent TA winter crossing, those are my thoughts.

Once more, you will do fine. 

Also, I travel in Europe before I sail back home, and there is no way I can carry with me the extra clothes needed for a TA crossing. I used Luggage Forward and will do so again. It is worth the money. And as a practical matter, I have no other options because again I cannot carry with me the extra clothes I wear on the QM2. 

Good luck to you and enjoy your voyage.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

The conundrum?   Cunard Luggage Forward Service could be the answer.

Sorry what is the luggage forward?  Haven’t gone through their entire website yet.  Thanks

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CPs4591 said:

Sorry what is the luggage forward?  Haven’t gone through their entire website yet.  Thanks

Collect from one’s home, and deliver to stateroom.  
And

Collect from the port of disembarkation, with delivery to one’s home.

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/the-cunard-experience/cunard-white-star-luggage-service

• Like 1

Another vote for luggage forward. It may look expensive, but the value of traveling with a lighter load is, as they used to say in the credit card commercial, priceless.

If I have travel more than a few days before a cruise, especially multi-city travel, I pack the posh frocks into a sturdy garment bag, the kind that zips up and stands on its own like a suitcase, and send it with Luggage Forward. 

3 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Another vote for luggage forward. It may look expensive, but the value of traveling with a lighter load is, as they used to say in the credit card commercial, priceless.

If I have travel more than a few days before a cruise, especially multi-city travel, I pack the posh frocks into a sturdy garment bag, the kind that zips up and stands on its own like a suitcase, and send it with Luggage Forward. 

Plus, pack shoes, handbags, accessories, etc., etc., 😉

CP,

For what it’s worth, I take TAs because I don’t fly and they’re primarily transportation for me.  

My first WB on the QM2 followed two and a half months of traveling through Europe, which I got to by a EB on Norwegian.  I packed light because my main focus was seeing Europe.  And while I do love cruising, and reading about the golden age of ocean travels, neither were enough to justify lugging extra clothing just for the ship.

That said, on the night before the first formal night in Britannia, I bid my other seven tablemates farewell and noted I would see them the day after next.  When they asked why, I told them I packed no formal attire.  They pointed to what I was wearing (a cotton swing dress - despite my name, I’m female) and said “just wear that - don’t go to the buffet”.  So the next day, not wanting to wear the same dress, but wanting to eat in Britannia again, I put on a black unlined cotton A-line dress that I had bought in London H&M for 10£ to wear to the beach.  I only had one beach day on land so the fabric has only been through the washer once and still looked new.  I paired it with opaque black tights and the black leather ballet flats from Dr Scholls that I had worn most nights on the land portion of my vacation.  I dressed it up with simple gold earrings and a simple black lariat necklace with a small gold bead as an accent. I did wear my hair up and makeup as if I was wearing a real cocktail dress. I was nervous walking in but needn’t have been. The maitre’d welcomed me and the waitstaff didn’t notice anything amiss.  But moreover, there were many other women who were wearing nice but simple dresses that wouldn’t look out of place in the office or at a funeral.

I think we women have it easier than men, and that black is your friend!

At the risk of being longwinded, the next year I took both a Cunard WB and EB so was able to pack an extra bag that I left with Cunard, with very simple cocktail dresses. (I confess I really don’t care to wear an evening gown unless it’s an important event).  At the first formal night, one lady at my table, who was in her late thirties, had her hair and makeup done at the beauty salon that day, and was wearing a beautiful satin red gown with a full skirt.  She looked beautiful but felt uncomfortable, because very few people were that fully dressed up.  And she picked her outfits based on Cunard photos on their website.  

Two of the other women at the table had black or dark pants on with beaded or sequined evening jackets, a look I have seen often on women in their fifties and sixties on other TAs.  And I agree with other posters, accessories help immensely in dressing up an outfit. 

That said, I did think on the two QM2 TAs I took this summer, passengers were a bit more spiffy than on prior crossings.

Edited by RalphWiggum
  • Like 4