Dining room dress code

DB2VA

Obviously, the OP is not the first (or last)🙄 person to ask this question in CC.  To all those men who refuse to wear long pants and those of any gender who abhor dress codes, there are cruise lines that allow one to wear pretty much anything to the MDR - Celebrity isn’t one of those lines.  Look, it’s your vacation, and it’s no skin off my nose what you wear (but it’s also not my or your personal ship) so, if this is a deal breaker, then choose something else and let those of us who don’t mind freshening up for dinner a nice place to eat.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, keesar said:

If your husband wants to wear shorts, he can eat at the Oceanview Buffet.  

I wish the fashion police would stop telling people who don’t like the dress guidelines (not code) to go and eat in the buffet like they’re the hired help. This is a cruise ship, not some British period piece like Upstairs Downstairs.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

I wish the fashion police would stop telling people who don’t like the dress guidelines (not code) to go and eat in the buffet like they’re the hired help. This is a cruise ship, not some British period piece like Upstairs Downstairs.

Aw, come on, you can also eat at the Mast Grill!

They aren't treating you like the hired help.....they are providing you with options since you clearly don't understand that rules are rules and if you don't like them, you will have to eat somewhere else. You might think you are special, but the cruise line doesn't.

Question.....If you tried to go to a nice restaurant in Ontario and wore shorts (where the dress code clearly stated that shorts were NOT allowed), would they let you in?

• Like 2

These kinds of posts are generally about the same thing. Clearly most here can read and understand the dress codes (and when they specifically call out items such as no shorts- that’s not a “guideline” BTW) but want to know if they can “get away” with not following them.  Bottom line, it’s a crap shoot and if you aren’t concerned about being denied entry into the MDR or asked to go and change then try it yourself or make other arrangements like eating in the buffet or patronizing another line where shorts are accepted.  Simple enough?  You’re welcome. 😎

• Like 5

What I enjoy as well is it’s always the wives asking for their husbands.  My wife wouldn’t have to ask as she would refuse to dine with me if I couldn’t follow the rules. 😂

p.s. I would love to wear shorts but when in Rome…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CaroleSS said:

They aren't treating you like the hired help.....they are providing you with options since you clearly don't understand that rules are rules and if you don't like them, you will have to eat somewhere else. You might think you are special, but the cruise line doesn't.

Question.....If you tried to go to a nice restaurant in Ontario and wore shorts (where the dress code clearly stated that shorts were NOT allowed), would they let you in?

This....100%

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, toddmanka said:

Just got off the Beyond last week My wife commented on men being allowed to wear shorts to the 4 dining rooms. Guess Celebrity doesn’t care any more

I have had tablemates a couple of times who I didn't know were wearing shorts until they stood up. That made me  realize it didn't matter. I am not going to look under the table to see what either men or women are wearing. That said I have seen men in shorts turned away. So if people go with shorts they should understand they might be turned away and not get mad if the host or hostess turns them away. No shorts is not kept secret. There are signs at the entrance to the MDR.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

Trust me, I am special 😂, although I'm certainly not out to flout any rules just for the sake of it.

But let's be honest, an MDR on a cruise ship is not five star dining. It's more akin to a chain restaurant, albeit with a few service frills, to make you believe it's upscale. Having people adhere to anachronistic dress guidelines in an otherwise bourgeois restaurant is just Celebrity's way of coddling a group of passengers who are still stuck in a bygone era.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

Trust me, I am special 😂, although I'm certainly not out to flout any rules just for the sake of it.

But let's be honest, an MDR on a cruise ship is not five star dining. It's more akin to a chain restaurant, albeit with a few service frills, to make you believe it's upscale. Having people adhere to anachronistic dress guidelines in an otherwise bourgeois restaurant is just Celebrity's way of coddling a group of passengers who are still stuck in a bygone era.

What?  The cruise ship doesn’t have a Michelin star restaurant?  Where is my refund?

Seeing as it’s just a floating McDonald’s, I guess we should change the dress code to flip flops and white undershirts to make you happy.  😂

8 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

There are plenty of other cruise lines. Each "coddle" to a different demographic. If you want to wear shorts to dinner, sail with someone else or lobby Celebrity to change their "guidelines". But in the interim, abide by the rules of the (whatever) business - "No shirt, No shoes, No service" comes to mind.

Just because you think they are akin to a chain restaurant doesn't change their rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What?  The cruise ship doesn’t have a Michelin star restaurant?  Where is my refund?

Seeing as it’s just a floating McDonald’s, I guess we should change the dress code to flip flops and white undershirts to make you happy.  😂

What? I have to wear a (gasp) shirt?