Anniversary On Board

dmcfad2

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

You can just put it into the app as a special occasion.  They won’t necessarily do anything for you in the dining rooms but you will see it posted on the digital screens around the ship when you pass by. 

That’s what I wanted to see. 🙂 I noticed it on our last Princess cruise on the monitors by the elevators. I thought it was cool.Thanks.

• Like 1

We had our 50th on a 16 day on the Diamond in January last year.  You can let Princess know of celebrations in the APP, at least the old one.  There was no big deal made of it.  We received a special chocolate desert thing at the end of dinner one night.  We took it back to our cabin.  It was fun seeing our anniversary show up on the big screens in the elevator areas when we were nearby.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, memoak said:

We make sure we don’t tell anyone. Do not want a bunch of waiters singing to us in the MDR. Same with birthdays.  We have both coming up on a July/August cruise 

Agree completely! Every evening in specialty dining we've been assaulted with the singing at least 3 times per meal.

Ahhhh .. let those that enjoy their special day have some fun and don’t worry about it.  While we try to never announce it, your fellow passengers may love it.  
Some people cruise so infrequently and want it to be made very memorable.  Try out some enthusiasm for them instead of criticizing the practice.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

21 hours ago, memoak said:

We make sure we don’t tell anyone. Do not want a bunch of waiters singing to us in the MDR. Same with birthdays.  We have both coming up on a July/August cruise 

We've been onboard for a couple of anniversaries - and on cruises very close to anniversaries - and we don't tell them. We once, foolishly, listed my wife's birthday but we really don't need singing or any extra desserts. Nope, nope, nope.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

We've been onboard for a couple of anniversaries - and on cruises very close to anniversaries - and we don't tell them. We once, foolishly, listed my wife's birthday but we really don't need singing or any extra desserts. Nope, nope, nope.

I lie about it. Our first 2 Princess cruises were anniversary and birthday celebrations. Except they weren’t. I made the dates up. I did request no singing. And we didn’t eat the dessert. But I did get a birthday cake made out of towels. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Ahhhh .. let those that enjoy their special day have some fun and don’t worry about it.  While we try to never announce it, your fellow passengers may love it.  
Some people cruise so infrequently and want it to be made very memorable.  Try out some enthusiasm for them instead of criticizing the practice.  

PERFECT!! - damn the naysayers that have been on 30+, 500+ days with 6 more cruises already booked for 2024

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, BamaVol said:

I lie about it. Our first 2 Princess cruises were anniversary and birthday celebrations. Except they weren’t. I made the dates up. I did request no singing. And we didn’t eat the dessert. But I did get a birthday cake made out of towels. 

Did the birthday cake made out of towels have a candle on it made out of towels? We had that on our river cruise this past spring on DW's birthday (as well as cake and singing).

Oh, and with that towel cake, there was a bottle of wine, something we have never received on an ocean cruise, a few of which we have celebrated a wedding anniversary

40 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Did the birthday cake made out of towels have a candle on it made out of towels? We had that on our river cruise this past spring on DW's birthday (as well as cake and singing).

Oh, and with that towel cake, there was a bottle of wine, something we have never received on an ocean cruise, a few of which we have celebrated a wedding anniversary

Candle, yes. Wine, no.

1 hour ago, BamaVol said:

Candle, yes. Wine, no.

We actually returned the bottle of wine. I don't drink much and it was almost at the end of the river cruise. DW, whose birthday it was, is not supposed to drink alcohol at all as it is contraindicated with meds that she takes. 

On our anniversary last summer on the NCL Prima, they not only sang and gave us a cake, but also tied our hands together.

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, voljeep said:

PERFECT!! - damn the naysayers that have been on 30+, 500+ days with 6 more cruises already booked for 2024

I may sense some sarcasm there and that is certainly your right, if that’s what is how it was meant to be interpreted.  If I misinterpreted it, my apologies in advance.  
We also been on numerous cruises and have many more planned over the next 12 months.  Each and every time, we enjoy seeing smiles on other’s faces when something is done to make them feel their special occasion is being recognized.  I don’t particularly enjoy the hoopla when it’s directed towards us but we certainly join in with song and clapping for others when they are clearly celebrating something that is special to them.  
I especially like the way that ‘anniversary’ is pronounced when they apply it to the happy birthday melody.  We even say it to each other that way every year ‘happy anversry’ when it rolls around.  

• Like 3

Now that I think about it, I probably am being a big hypocrite in what I said.  I can’t stand it when people wear really strong perfumes and colognes, even though it must make them happy.  
I kind of rolled my eyes over the ‘assault’ comment but now I take that back as I feel like I am assaulted when someone’s strong scent triggers a breathing issue and instant headache for me.  I imagine some people enjoy a nice quiet dining experience, as well.  So, again, my apologies for even mentioning anything about what may annoy others.  I get it!  

• Like 3

We were on our 1st cruise this time last year celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary.  Our TA included that info in our cruise planner and I had confirmed it was in there before we sailed.  We received zero acknowledgement, nothing, zippo, zilch.  We didn't necessarily want people singing to us at dinner or anything but a little message on the screen by our door, perhaps a note or a towel animal in our cabin would have been nice.  We had a great cruise and loved our time onboard, but to be honest, I'm still a bit salty over it.  My recommendation would be to not only make sure it's in your cruise planner, but also drop hints to your room attendant, the bartender, or your wait staff if you want to make sure you are acknowledged. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Gosh, until now, I didn't realize overhearing someone singing happy birthday was supposed to be such a negative experience.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, MTNest93 said:

We were on our 1st cruise this time last year celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary.  Our TA included that info in our cruise planner and I had confirmed it was in there before we sailed.  We received zero acknowledgement, nothing, zippo, zilch.  We didn't necessarily want people singing to us at dinner or anything but a little message on the screen by our door, perhaps a note or a towel animal in our cabin would have been nice.  We had a great cruise and loved our time onboard, but to be honest, I'm still a bit salty over it.  My recommendation would be to not only make sure it's in your cruise planner, but also drop hints to your room attendant, the bartender, or your wait staff if you want to make sure you are acknowledged. 

I would suggest telling them outright what acknowledgment you would like for your significant other.  When there is some special occasion to celebrate, like an anniversary, I take steps to make arrangements during the cruise.  Usually a cake (and singing).  That of course assumes I remember our anniversary!  hahah

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MTNest93 said:

We couldn’t even get a seat on our 25th anniversary in the MDR for just the two of us.  So, we opted to go to Alfredo’s instead.  Nope, think again, it was closed because the pizza oven was broken.  The buffet wasn’t really where we wanted to spend our 25th anniversary so, went out to the grill and slice outside by the pool and they were irritated they had to open back up.  I think it must have been only 6:30 but the last night of the cruise and they already finished cleaning things up.  It was a memorable evening, alright!  
Then, after the pandemic, we were treated to a suite upgrade, fresh flowers, special bottles of wine and champagne, a medallion bracelet, etc.  They just could not do enough for us, so all was forgiven!