Crystal Serenity July 2-July 9 Vancouver

360Guy

8 hours ago, May B said:

I think the 6:30 dinner start time is related to the European mgmt.

Florida "early bird" diners should avoid Silversea.  All dinner establishments start at 7pm.

• Like 4

This isn’t a huge shift.  I’ve taken several other Crystal cruises where dinner started at 6:30, and dinner has most frequently started at 6:15 across all of my Crystal cruises.  If anything, this is just a rounder, easier to manage number than 6:15.  Honestly, I could have even used 15 minutes more in the Palm Court last night — I left a few drops of my martini (voluntarily) to go get my preferred table in Waterside.  😳 

(Just to tie a bow on the story, fear not, it was replaced with another cocktail and copious amounts of wine at dinner.  😇)

Vince

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Good Morning,

Yesterday was a lovely sea day…brisk and windy. We enjoyed the “enrichment” speakers very much and if you can’t make it in person you can  watch the replay on your room TV.  Which by the way has a large number of movies and some series…we are watching White Lotus.

Did I mention food??  Really delicious…we had a quiet breakfast in Waterside, lunch in Marketplace for the Asian buffet (thank you Vince!) and dinner after the first show.  Our waiter Craig took excellent care of us.  The beet appetizer, halibut main as a starter, lobster and beef tenderloin we shared were just wonderful. The daily rotating cheese options?  Fantastic selection…it has been my dessert go to choice.

After reading so many posts on CC about the food, entertainment and crew, I was wondering…”well is it really that good?”  Well our answer is a resounding…Yes! Crystal Reflections July 4.pdfCrystal Serenity Waterside Lunch July 4.pdfCrystal Serenity Waterside Dinner July 4.pdf

Sitka today at 1 pm.  Shuttle service to be provided.  Appx 15 minutes to town.  All aboard 6:30 pm.  Looking forward to visiting the town!

Happy 4th of July to all!

Bob

Edited by 360Guy
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Prior to the cruise, the hottest odds in Vegas (aka between Beav and I) were whether or not an arrival DURING lunch service was considered a port day or sea day for Waterside lunch status.  I was quite relieved to see Waterside would be open today When they delivered Reflections last night.  👍 

Vince

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

Prior to the cruise, the hottest odds in Vegas (aka between Beav and I) were whether or not an arrival DURING lunch service was considered a port day or sea day for Waterside lunch status.  I was quite relieved to see Waterside would be open today When they delivered Reflections last night.  👍 

Vince

Noticed that the Bistro was also going to be opened for a few hours in the evening.

Patty

• Like 7

I personally think 6:30pm for restaurant openings is fine, especially for this particular itinerary.

Sail time from Vancouver was 6pm, and 7pm from both Sitka and Skagway. Not to mention the long daylight hours where 6:30 feels like the middle of the afternoon. Sunset from Skagway, for example, is after 10:00pm….

• Like 4

Now this would be a fun cruise to be on, lots of local color, both onboard and off.  If only I didn't have a Mediocre Bistro to run...

@BWIVincehere's a research project for you.  At breakfast in W/side, order the Eggs Benny.  Leave it at that, don't specify anything else.  See what happens.  You know, for science. 😁

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Now this would be a fun cruise to be on, lots of local color, both onboard and off.  If only I didn't have a Mediocre Bistro to run...

@BWIVincehere's a research project for you.  At breakfast in W/side, order the Eggs Benny.  Leave it at that, don't specify anything else.  See what happens.  You know, for science. 😁

I will try — I may need to enlist some help in order to complete the project.  Yesterday was bene day for me, and it didn’t go well, so with so few breakfasts on this itinerary, I’m not sure I want to experiment again..  Once bitten, twice shy.  I’ll try though — you know I love a good research project!

Just a quick observation about service vs. occupancy…

First, the crew have been incredible everywhere, as always.  Everyone is bending over backwards to please, and they are working hard to fulfill every request I’ve heard, no matter how big or small.  Just want to make sure I call that out as plainly as I can.

Within that, though, there is a noticeable difference between a “typical” Crystal cruise (500-ish or less) and one this full.

This morning in Waterside was one of those examples.  I arrived around 8:00, and all of the window tables were full, but they were just starting to seat people in interior tables…. So not “busy” yet, but a healthy chunk to be seated quickly.

- First, it took 4-5 minutes to get a menu, but no beverage order was taken.

- Then, about 8 minutes later he came back and pulled my coffee cup without ever asking if I wanted coffee.  
- A couple of minutes after that he took my food order, but still never asked about beverages.  I had to stop him as he was walking away to ask him for orange juice.

- There was another long gap before my fruit plate arrived, during which I tried to catch someone’s attention to see the pastry tray, but no luck.  Someone finally dropped my fruit plate off, but they were gone before I could ask about the pastry tray.

- After they picked up my fruit plate, I was finally able to ask about the pastry tray, and the assistant waiter said he’d be right back with it.  About this time my entree came (galley timing was back on track by now), so the assistant waiter shifted (rightfully) to getting the table prepped for the entree to be dropped and proactively acknowledged that he was going to get the pastry tray after the entree dropped, to reassure me he he hadn’t forgotten.  As he was talking, the waiter came along and snagged the side plate I was planning on using for my pastry — the second time a service item had been removed before he even knew if I wanted or didn’t want something.

Once the entree was delivered, things got back on track quickly.  Not the biggest deal, but as small as those glitches were, I can’t ever remember a Waterside breakfast that was that uncoordinated, so I think that speaks  a little to the challenges of being busier.

Onward and upward — Waterside lunch day!  🎉 

Vince

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

I will try — I may need to enlist some help in order to complete the project.  Yesterday was bene day for me, and it didn’t go well, so with so few breakfasts on this itinerary, I’m not sure I want to experiment again..  Once bitten, twice shy.  I’ll try though — you know I love a good research project!

Vince

Don't let my silly suggestion detract for a moment from enjoying every minute of your cruise.

I take it from your comments the ship is at capacity?

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

Don't let my silly suggestion detract for a moment from enjoying every minute of your cruise.

I take it from your comments the ship is at capacity?

That’s why there are two of the same show in the Galaxy, 7 and 9:30.

What a frustrating breakfast for Vince! Try for a different station tomorrow? I felt like I saw plenty of crew I’d never seen before, June 24-July 2nd. We had such a fun chat with Marlon. He saw Mr B’s shirt from Guatemala and proudly announced that’s where he’s from … and he is the ONLY Guatemalan crew member. Aft, breakfast at Marketplace. I don’t think we ever saw him at lunch or dinner.

6 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Noticed that the Bistro was also going to be opened for a few hours in the evening.

Patty

I hope your sailings will be full, Patty.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 360Guy said:

Good Morning,

Yesterday was a lovely sea day…brisk and windy. We enjoyed the “enrichment” speakers very much and if you can’t make it in person you can  watch the replay on your room TV.  Which by the way has a large number of movies and some series…we are watching White Lotus.

Did I mention food??  Really delicious…we had a quiet breakfast in Waterside, lunch in Marketplace for the Asian buffet (thank you Vince!) and dinner after the first show.  Our waiter Craig took excellent care of us.  The beet appetizer, halibut main as a starter, lobster and beef tenderloin we shared were just wonderful. The daily rotating cheese options?  Fantastic selection…it has been my dessert go to choice.

After reading so many posts on CC about the food, entertainment and crew, I was wondering…”well is it really that good?”  Well our answer is a resounding…Yes! Crystal Reflections July 4.pdfCrystal Serenity Waterside Lunch July 4.pdfCrystal Serenity Waterside Dinner July 4.pdf

Sitka today at 1 pm.  Shuttle service to be provided.  Appx 15 minutes to town.  All aboard 6:30 pm.  Looking forward to visiting the town!

Happy 4th of July to all!

Bob

Keep enjoying! It’s so much fun to read your first-timer reactions. And Mr B does love me to read him the menus every day at happy hour.

We thoroughly enjoyed Bob Ray in November. Did you attend his presentation? I think his name is very special to you? You might get to chat with him at the Crystal Cove before dinner.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

I love Eggs Benny, but last cruises on OC the were putting the hollandaise on an running it under the broiler😱, voila curdled hollandaise. I began asking for hollandaise on the side, which solved the problem for me.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Txcotn said:

I love Eggs Benny, but last cruises on OC the were putting the hollandaise on an running it under the broiler😱, voila curdled hollandaise. I began asking for hollandaise on the side, which solved the problem for me.

I suspect that this is exactly what Ken was referring to.  That curdled, cooked mess has been a decades-long gripe of mine, all the way back to my first Crystal cruises.  I have no idea what that’s supposed to achieve, but it not only curdles the hollandaise, it more often than not cooks the yolks too.  

I’ve always recommended everyone order the hollandaise on the side (just like you figured out), and I think Ken assumed I’d do that out of reflex at this point (which he’d be right, I did), and he wanted to see if the new org might be doing something differently, finally.  Watch this space.  😊 

Vince

• Like 1

2 hours ago, May B said:

Keep enjoying! It’s so much fun to read your first-timer reactions. And Mr B does love me to read him the menus every day at happy hour.

We thoroughly enjoyed Bob Ray in November. Did you attend his presentation? I think his name is very special to you? You might get to chat with him at the Crystal Cove before dinner.

Thank you!  Yes I attended his presentation and enjoyed it very much.  I’ll try to connect with him!

Bob

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Just a quick observation about service vs. occupancy…

First, the crew have been incredible everywhere, as always.  Everyone is bending over backwards to please, and they are working hard to fulfill every request I’ve heard, no matter how big or small.  Just want to make sure I call that out as plainly as I can.

Within that, though, there is a noticeable difference between a “typical” Crystal cruise (500-ish or less) and one this full.

This morning in Waterside was one of those examples.  I arrived around 8:00, and all of the window tables were full, but they were just starting to seat people in interior tables…. So not “busy” yet, but a healthy chunk to be seated quickly.

- First, it took 4-5 minutes to get a menu, but no beverage order was taken.

- Then, about 8 minutes later he came back and pulled my coffee cup without ever asking if I wanted coffee.  
- A couple of minutes after that he took my food order, but still never asked about beverages.  I had to stop him as he was walking away to ask him for orange juice.

- There was another long gap before my fruit plate arrived, during which I tried to catch someone’s attention to see the pastry tray, but no luck.  Someone finally dropped my fruit plate off, but they were gone before I could ask about the pastry tray.

- After they picked up my fruit plate, I was finally able to ask about the pastry tray, and the assistant waiter said he’d be right back with it.  About this time my entree came (galley timing was back on track by now), so the assistant waiter shifted (rightfully) to getting the table prepped for the entree to be dropped and proactively acknowledged that he was going to get the pastry tray after the entree dropped, to reassure me he he hadn’t forgotten.  As he was talking, the waiter came along and snagged the side plate I was planning on using for my pastry — the second time a service item had been removed before he even knew if I wanted or didn’t want something.

Once the entree was delivered, things got back on track quickly.  Not the biggest deal, but as small as those glitches were, I can’t ever remember a Waterside breakfast that was that uncoordinated, so I think that speaks  a little to the challenges of being busier.

Onward and upward — Waterside lunch day!  🎉 

Vince

Vince you have to book the Symphony and seat at the table where Simka is the senior waiter and Maid her assistant. Perfect service. I have never had a problem to find a nice window table on the Symphony but I was always the first and there were only about 450 passengers on board. 

Don’t you like the Japanese breakfast? I had it almost every second day during my cruise. Always with Salmon. 

Ivi

Good Morning,

We are scheduled to arrive in Skagway at 10:00 am.  All aboard 6:30 pm.  Yesterday in Sitka we had beautiful weather! The town was having a 4th of July celebration with a parade, festival and a number of local food vendors. 

The dining experience on Serenity continues to be wonderful from our perspective.  We tried Marketplace for breakfast and enjoyed the omelette station. If I finished my plate and went to get something else when I returned the plate was gone and a new setting had been provided.  Coffee and water always topped off.

Waterside was open for lunch even though we were docking at 1:00 pm…this was a very nice surprise….and we took advantage of it. Enver our waiter took great care of us! 

We went to see the stand-up comic Andrew Grose.

It was a good show.  Funny jokes about Tim Horton’s in Canada.Crystal Reflections July 5.pdfWagyu Beef Crudo July 4.HEICCrystal Serenity Waterside July 5.pdf
Arctic Char July 4.HEICLamb chops July 4.HEICWagyu Beef Crudo July 4.HEIC

Dinner in Waterside and we asked for a table in Enver’s section.  Many choices!  Solution…order half portions of main dishes.  So here were my selections last night…all delicious.  The lamb was cooked to a perfect medium rare.

Tonight we are going to Osteria.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 360Guy said:

Thank you!  Yes I attended his presentation and enjoyed it very much.  I’ll try to connect with him!

Bob

Has Bob Ray changed his presentation???  Have seen it three times  🙂

A large number of crew disembarked in San Diego.  We saw several of them at the San Diego airport  including our number 1 waiter Joshua.

3 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Has Bob Ray changed his presentation???  Have seen it three times  🙂

A large number of crew disembarked in San Diego.  We saw several of them at the San Diego airport  including our number 1 waiter Joshua.

Not sure…first time for us. The talk was all about the Beatles with some good stories, taped interviews and a couple of “live” calls that I couldn’t tell if they were or not.

Rick our cruise director said a couple of nights ago that the ship had added another 10% of previous crew bringing the total to 90% returning.  They are absolutely fantastic in every way.  

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, 360Guy said:

Not sure…first time for us. The talk was all about the Beatles with some good stories, taped interviews and a couple of “live” calls that I couldn’t tell if they were or not.

Rick our cruise director said a couple of nights ago that the ship had added another 10% of previous crew bringing the total to 90% returning.  They are absolutely fantastic in every way.  

We were in the EU last time and he had Cousin Brucie "live" at 3am.  Don't think so.  His trivia quiz on his last performance is a good test. 60% won the prize the last time on Regent.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

We were in the EU last time and he had Cousin Brucie "live" at 3am.  Don't think so.  His trivia quiz on his last performance is a good test. 60% won the prize the last time on Regent.

Yes same talk then…yes Brucie was an artfully crafted segment.  Trivia questions were answered immediately and correctly!   We enjoyed it.  I think he is speaking again in a day or two. Great cruise!

Bob

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Vince you have to book the Symphony and seat at the table where Simka is the senior waiter and Maid her assistant. Perfect service. I have never had a problem to find a nice window table on the Symphony but I was always the first and there were only about 450 passengers on board. 

Don’t you like the Japanese breakfast? I had it almost every second day during my cruise. Always with Salmon. 

Ivi

Ivi, trust me, if Symphony was an option for me, I’d be on it in a heartbeat.  😁 

Service overall has been fantastic, I’m definitely not complaining about the crew…. There are just some obvious and natural challenge when you have THIS many people onboard so infrequently.  If this happens more consistently, they’ll make some further tweaks so things run smoother, these are more teething issues than anything due to the shift in load.

Funny you mentioned the Japanese Breakfast — that’s exactly what I ordered yesterday, figuring it would be hard to screw up.  😁 And it was — everything on it was fine, it was just the service yesterday that was quirky.  That’s been the only Waterside meal that’s been like that, generally the service has been better than the food.

The photo isn’t uploading correctly as an in-line upload for some reason right now, so I will post more on that later.

Vince

Edited by BWIVince
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, BWIVince said:

I suspect that this is exactly what Ken was referring to.  That curdled, cooked mess has been a decades-long gripe of mine, all the way back to my first Crystal cruises.  I have no idea what that’s supposed to achieve, but it not only curdles the hollandaise, it more often than not cooks the yolks too.  

I’ve always recommended everyone order the hollandaise on the side (just like you figured out), and I think Ken assumed I’d do that out of reflex at this point (which he’d be right, I did), and he wanted to see if the new org might be doing something differently, finally.  Watch this space.  😊 

Vince

Exactly right.  I just figured that with you, the(un)official Crystal Eggs Benedict Whisperer onboard, you'd be in position to report if Crystal had abandoned that rather idiosyncratic practice of lacquering the sauce to the eggs.  Just a bit of fun.

We’re on the 7/16-7/23 sailing and it’s great to be able to get a preview. Thanks for posting.

Is it possible to see the speakers, entertainers and golf pro in advance of our sailing? 
In the past we were able to see that information online. 

I grew up with Cousin Brucie.  Well what I mean was when I was young he was on WABC and we'd listen to him and he also for a period of time had a Saturday TV show.  My brother being named Bruce was sort of Brother Brucie.  I enjoyed Bob Frey's talks when we saw him several years ago and anything Beatles is great.

llovebreakfast you can see most of the speakers by going to the Crystal website. This link will take you to it.

https://www.crystalcruises.com/cruises/none-cse-007-240716?menu=ship_overview

Just scroll down after the link takes you to the page.

Keith

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1