Why do you not enforce the rules you have onboard?

Like, no reserving lounge chairs on pool deck

Or, no feet on couches and chairs and particularly no sleeping in the lounges.

Please add if you know of others.

• Like 12

posting for fellow CC member who could not find link..but I and many ithers have the same Question  and are interested in it being enforced!

"Why continue to have a Dress Code when it is rarely if ever enforced? Please keep it and enforce it. '

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

• Host Kat changed the title to Why do you not enforce the rules you have onboard?

Two other uninforced rules:

No children under 16 in the Solarium outside of family hours.

The existing dress code is not enforced.  Either do not permit men in shorts and t-shirts in the MDR at dinner or change the guidelines to permit men to wear shorts and t-shirts at dinner. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

How are the staff empowered to enforce the rules? Staff seem afraid to offend any passenger who is disregarding behavioral expectations.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

I would like a clear understanding of the cruise line policy when things go wrong on the ship.  Specifically, I was assaulted two different times in the food line. I am 5'2" woman, minding my own business in line. I was physically shoved by large males completely out of the line. 

There were many incidents on board similar to this. My husband and I ended staying in our room much of the time because many of the other guests were rude and obnoxious. Their behavior in the buffet was crude and unsanitary. 

Our 25th Anniversary cruise that we planned and saved for years was ruined. 

I was told by the "Executive Office" that this is no policy for compensation. 

I see many people have commented about the lack of rule enforcement already but I wanted to comment on that as well so Celebrity is aware this is an important to a lot of us.  This is very annoying to me especially in the MDR on the dressier evenings.   I have been on cruises when a crew member will seat someone in shorts and a T shirt.  Then another night on the same cruise a different crew member will advise a passenger of the dress code.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 7/3/2024 at 9:49 AM, pete_coach said:

Like, no reserving lounge chairs on pool deck

Or, no feet on couches and chairs and particularly no sleeping in the lounges.

Please add if you know of others.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Our crew are trained to enforce the rules onboard, and we will certainly re-evaluate training measures to ensure this is emphasized. We always want to ensure that all our guests are enjoying their vacation in a respectful and enjoyable way. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Laura Hodges Bethge said:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Our crew are trained to enforce the rules onboard, and we will certainly re-evaluate training measures to ensure this is emphasized. We always want to ensure that all our guests are enjoying their vacation in a respectful and enjoyable way. 

Some of those who you want to "enjoy their vacation" feel that rules do not apply to them. So will they still be allowed to fly under the radar in the MRD with tee shirts, shorts and ball caps regardless?

Edited by PROCRUISE
  • Like 3

The rule I really want to see enforced is rules around not hogging lounges. Staff should be empowered to remove any items left after half an hour.

• Like 8

Many years ago at one of those all-inclusive resorts in Turkey, all sun lounges were numbered and had a bar code sticker attached.

Staff roamed the pool/beach area and used a scanning gun to read unattended chairs.

That registered a time. On the next round, when the chairs were still unoccupied, another scan, and when the time limit was exceeded,  guest's stuff was removed and taken for safekeeping. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, PROCRUISE said:

Some of those who you want to "enjoy their vacation" feel that rules do not apply to them. So will they still be allowed to fly under the radar in the MRD with tee shirts, shorts and ball caps regardless?

I look at the MDR as a large cafeteria like any on shore and t shirts and shorts are allowed the so they should be on board as well. Now, the specialty restaurants are a different situation, just like fancier restaurants on shore.

When at home, and it is warm, iIcan wear my shorts, shirt and sandals and go into almost every eatery,. I am on vacation and think It should be the same.

6 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

I look at the MDR as a large cafeteria like any on shore and t shirts and shorts are allowed the so they should be on board as well.

Then you, in my opinion, are looking at it wrong. 

The MDR is a restaurant, not a cafeteria.  The Ocean View Cafe is more like a cafeteria. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, PROCRUISE said:

And your vacation will be impacted how by these other people?

• Haha 1

We were on Reflection in February.  We went on deck at 8 am.  There was not a single lounger on either the pool deck or upper deck that didn't have crap on it. Fewer than 5% of the loungers were occupied.  

We found a lounger with only X towels and removed them.  By 10 am more than 50% of the chairs were still unoccupied.  The people who'd reserved our chairs showed up at 11:20, angry.  We stuck to our guns.  Said there was no reserving of chairs. It was not pleasant.

The problem is that X (like most lines) doesn't want to anger / annoy the chair hogs.  They don't want the deck/pool staff to try to figure out who went to the bathroom, who is in the pool, who's grabbing a sandwich.  100% GUARANTEE that every chair hog will return with an excuse.  It gets ugly, it gets hard on the staff.  So, X and other lines just let it be (with a very few exceptions).

It ain't gonna change.  We've found things much better on luxury lines.  Not saying that they are better people (they're not), just different demographics.  Almost no kids and thus no parents watching kids -- taking up multiple loungers.  Many of the passengers don't sunbathe for various reasons.  Many of those that do come out later in the day.  Almost aways plenty of loungers.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

The MDR is a restaurant, not a cafeteria.  The Ocean View Cafe is more like a cafeteria. 

The Oceanview is a buffet.

You can disagree with m all all you went but in my opinion the MDR is a giant cafeteria. An eatery that has more the 1000 seats is not a "restaurant" anymore 🙂

Also, in my opinion Murano, Tuscan Grill, Le Petite Chef, Sushi on Five, Blu, Luminae are restaurants.

But hey, as I said, whatever I can wear on shore should be good enough to wear onboard. And really, my shorts should not affect your meal, my legs are under the table. 🙂

Edited by pete_coach
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

The Oceanview is a buffet.

You can disagree with m all all you went but in my opinion the MDR is a giant cafeteria. An eatery that has more the 1000 seats is not a "restaurant" anymore 🙂

Also, in my opinion Murano, Tuscan Grill, Le Petite Chef, Sushi on Five, Blu, Luminae are restaurants.

But hey, as I said, whatever I can wear on shore should be good enough to wear onboard. And really, my shorts should not affect your meal, my legs are under the table. 🙂

So, you would just like the rules that you agree with followed 🤔 😄 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, paulajj said:

So, you would just like the rules that you agree with followed 🤔 😄 

I questioned the rules at the top of this thread.

Either enforce or do away with them.

I do not have to agree with them but, they are what they are.

I have an opinion, just like you and other do and I think I am entitled to that opinion.

My opinion is that if men cannot wear shorts in the MDR, why can women?  Is it a hairy leg thing? LOL

If I want to dress up there are many choices on board.

So I ask you, do you approve of all the rules onboard? Do you lke to be told what to do and wear while on vacation?

1 minute ago, pete_coach said:

I questioned the rules at the top of this thread.

Either enforce or do away with them.

I do not have to agree with them but, they are what they are.

I have an opinion, just like you and other do and I think I am entitled to that opinion.

My opinion is that if men cannot wear shorts in the MDR, why can women?  Is it a hairy leg thing? LOL

If I want to dress up there are many choices on board.

So I ask you, do you approve of all the rules onboard? Do you lke to be told what to do and wear while on vacation?

There is a stated dress code. ‘Rule’

I follow the dress codes. If I want a more relaxed dress code I would book a different cruise line. I’m not a dress code snob. But I like to follow the ‘rules’ just like I wouldn’t chair hog 🤷🏻‍♀️

I'm not questioning you right to an opinion. I’m pointing out the discrepancies in your complaints 🙂 

• Like 2

PMJI, but I don't think women should be allowed to wear shorts when men are not.  I don't see a difference (and I'm female).  But also agree that the rules are the rules and should be followed.

As an aside, I am OK with women wearing sleeveless b/c, for women, sleeveless can be very dressy.  In my experience, sleeveless (tanks) is never dressy for guys.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

And your vacation will be impacted how by these other people?

Why have a dress code if you aren’t going to enforce it?  There are lines that have dress codes, or lack of, that seem to suit your style more..

5 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Well said.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, paulajj said:

There is a stated dress code. ‘Rule’

I follow the dress codes. If I want a more relaxed dress code I would book a different cruise line. I’m not a dress code snob. But I like to follow the ‘rules’ just like I wouldn’t chair hog 🤷🏻‍♀️

I'm not questioning you right to an opinion. I’m pointing out the discrepancies in your complaints 🙂 

Yup, there is a rule.

I am glad you abide by it.

As I said, I do not like it.

You do you and I do me.

There is no discrepancy in my posts or points or opinion. My question was why the rules are not being enforced.

Geez folks, this is a discussion forum. No one has to agree with anyone LOL

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Why have a dress code if you aren’t going to enforce it?  There are lines that have dress codes, or lack of, that seem to suit your style more..

I'm not saying Celebrity can't enforce a dress code.  I'm simply advocating that shorts be removed from those guidelines.  You may not agree, but that doesn't give you the right to tell me I should sign up for a Carnival cruise... or whatever you believe would "suit my style more".