Live from the Land of Princess

3 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Three things that are driving me nuts on this ship:

1. The women doused in perfume. It’s deadly.

2. People who order unsweetened ice tea then sit there for the next 14 minutes stirring and clinking stirring and clinking stirring and clinking with no regard for other people who may not want a meal with a side of stirring and clinking

3. The Mahjong players in Horizon Court. They take up the tables with the best views and bash the tiles about with no regard for diners who do not want a meal with a side of tile bashing

Yes, the Mahjhong players have been overwhelmingly present on our last few Princess Cruises. They sometimes open one of the dining rooms in the day for games, etc to discourage the take over of the buffet seating. I’m not sure if this is possible on Island with only 2 dining rooms though. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I have been on many cruises and have always wanted to order the dirty banana (minus the alcohol).  Just as I was going to do this on my next cruise.  

Now...what am I to do?  bummer

We can share. I’ll have the alcohol and you can have the rest.😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

The first rule of cruising - there are no calories on a cruise.  The motion of the ship zeros out all calories.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it 😁

Oh, my goodness yes, the perfume, and sometimes the aftershave/cologne, that some tend to douse themselves in can be quite dreadful.  There have been many times I have had to exit an elevator long before my destination floor because of the overpowering scents from others.  

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Everyone (including me) have enjoyed this main stay production show on the Island and her sister ship, the Coral.  I've seen it multiple times on the Coral and never tire of the content.  You must book a cruise on the Coral.  What a difference between the sisters.

34 minutes ago, Thrak said:

On The Bayou is vastly better on Coral Princess due to being done in the Universe Lounge. I've seen it there twice and have also seen it in the main theater on Island Princess. No comparison. It was designed for the rotating stage in Universe Lounge. Like some other folks, it's my favorite Princess show - at least to date.

As for the perfume...what are people thinking.  We were seated in the dining room enjoying out meal when this "lady" comes in.  My waiter, then assistant manager came over and asked if we preferred to continue our dinner in a different location.  I guess they deal with this more often than we are aware of it.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

Yes, the Mahjhong players have been overwhelmingly present on our last few Princess Cruises. They sometimes open one of the dining rooms in the day for games, etc to discourage the take over of the buffet seating. I’m not sure if this is possible on Island with only 2 dining rooms though. 

On the 2023 WC they used the Bayou Cafe for game play during the day (cards, board games, mah jong, etc) and if memory serves me correctly (no guarantees) there were notices in the Patter (or whatever it's called now) about NOT taking up tables and playing in the Horizon Court.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Alfredo’s is my ride or die! Except my go-to has now gone (not that you would care as it’s about as meat focused as you can get). They had the best veal filled pasta pouches ever (I know there’s a proper name for them but you get the gist). I also love their veggie pizza with the avocado….yum yum yum

The agnolotti is not gone.  It's still on the menu on every ship with a freestanding Alfredo's or Gigi's except for the Sun.  Sadly I do think the omission on the Sun menu and the recent pizza change announcement will eventually sound the death knell for it on all of the ships.  It's a shame because it's pretty much the best thing I eat on Princess ships, one of those things that I crave.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Everyone (including me) have enjoyed this main stay production show on the Island and her sister ship, the Coral.  I've seen it multiple times on the Coral and never tire of the content.  You must book a cruise on the Coral.  What a difference between the sisters.

As for the perfume...what are people thinking.  We were seated in the dining room enjoying out meal when this "lady" comes in.  My waiter, then assistant manager came over and asked if we preferred to continue our dinner in a different location.  I guess they deal with this more often than we are aware of it.

One of the best parts of On The Bayou is watching the faces of the uninitiated when the cast makes their entrance. On Coral Princess it's truly awesome.

As for the perfume... The people really must be "hard of smelling" as it seems they immerse themselves in vats of $1/gallon "perfume". It's horrid. I used to have to work with a woman like the one depicted below.

image.jpeg.92a1b7fd87c10d80d12130a715d6935c.jpeg

• Haha 7

9 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

The agnolotti is not gone.  It's still on the menu on every ship with a freestanding Alfredo's or Gigi's except for the Sun.  Sadly I do think the omission on the Sun menu and the recent pizza change announcement will eventually sound the death knell for it on all of the ships.  It's a shame because it's pretty much the best thing I eat on Princess ships, one of those things that I crave.

Wait....what??? For real? I swear I have read so many posts on here saying that they had removed it from the menu! That would make me very happy if it's still available!

Hi Sweetie,

Have you heard from Dad today?  Seattle television stations are reporting that a series of earthquakes have been reported this morning out in the Pacific off Vancouver Island.  Apparently they are really deep and I have not seen any reports of damage.

Glad your cruise is going well.

BIG BIG BIG BIG HUG

Love and prayers always,

Mandy

35 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Yes, the agnolotti was my favourite too. We have actually been disappointed with the pizza at Alfredo’s on our last few cruises. It seems to have gotten much “cheesier” and not as light and fresh as it was. Loved it when it was free, but now I don’t want to pay for it anymore.

33 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Wait....what??? For real? I swear I have read so many posts on here saying that they had removed it from the menu! That would make me very happy if it's still available!

I last had it in early May on the Enchanted and expect to order it again next week, actually as soon as Saturday when we are on the Discovery.  If anything changes I will definitely report back.

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2024 at 6:40 AM, YVRteacher said:

Ok, but not tonight. Tonight is Hawaiian theme action station with poke bowl at Horizon Court. I am likely the only person on this ship who is excited for tofu.

Having left my ballgown, pearls and tiara at home, I need to avoid formal night in the MDR so I don’t look like riff raff.

You forgot your tiara! 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ecslady said:

Sorry that you are missing Q & N.  I did a Greenland cruise this past September on Royal Caribbean and visited all 3 ports.  I traveled solo and felt very safe exploring on my own. Q & N are very quaint little towns. 

For Nuuk, it is a city so to speak.  The ship/town provided a shuttle to the center. Take it. I think they charged $20.  It really isn't safe to walk into the center of town among the winding roads and commercial area.  Once there, it is very easy to navigate around and see things.  There's the Hans Egede Statue on top of the hill, the Greenland National Museum with a small entrance fee, a lot of street art, stop in some meat markets and see the fresh reindeer and other various places to wander among the houses.  Stop in a grocery store, talk to some locals. They are very friendly.  And, of course don't forget to buy a tupilak carving to take home.  It was a really nice day.  Hope you have good weather.

Hi Yvonne....just wanted to jump in and mention that I was also on the Jewel of the Seas cruise to Greenland last September. We had no problem at all walking up from the ship to the 'downtown' area of Nuuk, hiking all over the place, and walking back down to the ship again. Going uphill is a workout but was easily doable for us (seniors). We never felt unsafe on the road at any time, maybe because we're city people and used to watching out for traffic as we walk/cycle all around the Toronto area. This was one of the best of my 47 cruises....really sorry you're not able to go to the other two ports.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

How was your Princess British Isles cruise?

My British Isles cruise on Regal Princess in early May was a good one. I really enjoyed the ship, even though it’s quite big. We had a lovely balcony room. Did not do any of the ships excursion, just explored on our own. I really love Scotland (feels a little like home?) and it was awesome to finally get to explore a little bit of Shetland, I rented a car there (some photos on my Instagram) 
Entertainment was ok/good, as was most of the food. A bit disappointed of the desserts. A carrot cake we tried was unedible. 
a favourite spot on the ship was the back deck behind the buffet restaurant, nice bar and nice for sailaway! 
We stayed in London a couple of days after the cruise. Had a very good time all in all 😊

IMG_8993.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2024 at 10:07 PM, YVRteacher said:

The guy in the cabin next to mine snores so loudly I can hear him through the wall.

I went on a round trip Alaskan cruise from Seattle. We were on the ocean side of Vancouver Island and it was really rough. I woke up to the sound of a man getting sick and that’s all it took for me…. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Chrislynn55 said:

Hi Yvonne....just wanted to jump in and mention that I was also on the Jewel of the Seas cruise to Greenland last September. We had no problem at all walking up from the ship to the 'downtown' area of Nuuk, hiking all over the place, and walking back down to the ship again. Going uphill is a workout but was easily doable for us (seniors). We never felt unsafe on the road at any time, maybe because we're city people and used to watching out for traffic as we walk/cycle all around the Toronto area. This was one of the best of my 47 cruises....really sorry you're not able to go to the other two ports.

Some Nuuk photos! 

IMG_1297.jpeg

IMG_1298.jpeg

IMG_1299.jpeg

IMG_1301.jpeg

IMG_1305.jpeg

IMG_1303.jpeg

IMG_1308.jpeg

IMG_1307.jpeg

IMG_1310.jpeg

IMG_1302.jpeg

Edited by Chrislynn55
  • Like 6

On 7/10/2024 at 11:30 AM, YVRteacher said:

The hair dryer and I got into a minor disagreement last night. Long story short is the hair dryer won.

I have long hair and I accidentally turned the back of the dryer toward my head. In doing so, all the hair on the right side of my head got sucked into the motor thingy and the hair dryer was attached to me.

Similar to Debra on "Everybody Loves Raymond". One of the classic episodes...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

They should make a small pizza so there is less food waste.

I suggested the very same thing when I was on the Majestic Princess last October...

• Like 2

Roasted pumpkin.

I just ate roasted pumpkin.

I have never had roasted pumpkin before.

I hope this is offered again because it turns out I love roasted pumpkin.

• Like 16

Was there any added flavour on the roasted pumpkin? We've had it with spices (middle eastern flavours) - very yummy.

Is it just me, or do those cookies on the left look "freestyle" 🤔 - if it was NCL I'd suspect a kitchen equipment economy drive.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

For the reserved seats in the theatre, how does the entertainment staff know that people have Princess Premier?

They will scan your medallion like they do at the bar.  

Looks like you were able to dock in Nuuk.  That's a plus.