stingray city and lunch in Grand Cayman

carbon

Posted (edited)

Has anyone done the Destination Highlight: Stingray City Sandbar tour with Celebrity? 

How many people does Celebrity book on these boats?

Edited by carbon

• carbon changed the title to stingray city and lunch in Grand Cayman

We just did this one in January.  It was a large group, 2 buses and 2 boats, probably around 50 on each boat.  Stingray city is amazing, we had done it before and it’s better with a smaller group but it was still good.  It gets crowded there, you’re in waist deep water and stingrays all around you.  Boat crew will have you get in a circle and go around with a stingray that you can pet, they give you squid to feed them too.  All the stingrays are swimming around you the whole time so you will see and touch plenty.  Really an amazing experience.  Don’t expect much from the lunch afterwards.  The restaurant was cute (open-air right on the water with amazing views and cute décor), but the buffet left much to be desired.  We had just a few bites and ate when we got back on the ship.  We noticed flys on the food when walking by the buffet later on. Use the bathroom as soon as you get there - there was only one stall for women and a long line formed after a bit.  When we went to stingray city in 2022 there was an excursion offered without lunch, but they didn’t offer that one this time. If you find the one without the lunch I would go with that, but if the lunch one is all there is it’s still worth it.  All just my opinion of course.  Have fun!

We did the Celebrity excursion and it was one and done.  Very crowded.  Boat was packed.  Another vote for Captain Marvin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

By far the worst excursion I've ever been on. Avoid at all costs. If you really want to do Stingray City (which is HIGHLY overrated, by the way, but I understand the desire to see it once) I recommend doing it through a third party private charter. 

10 hours ago, carbon said:

Has anyone done the Destination Highlight: Stingray City Sandbar tour with Celebrity? 

We did this one and it was one of my favorite excursions of all time!! I have a framed picture of my husband and I with the stingrays in his office….such an amazing and cool experience!  While the boat was full - they typically are for most boating and snorkeling experiences even on private excursions. 

A point to do an excursion on the water at every cruise when possible because I feel like you never get a true sense of place you are visiting unless you get out on the wall on a smaller craft. ❤️

14 hours ago, Super27 said:

By far the worst excursion I've ever been on. Avoid at all costs. If you really want to do Stingray City (which is HIGHLY overrated, by the way, but I understand the desire to see it once) I recommend doing it through a third party private charter. 

Please expand on why, was it because it was too crowded?

17 hours ago, carbon said:

It's all about timing, you'll want to contact some independent tour companies to find out if they'll be one of the first boats there.  There can be many ship and therefore many tour boats going there which is why it's best to be one of the first boats there

3 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Please expand on why, was it because it was too crowded?

The major issue was too crowded. There are a TON of people there from multiple boats. The other thing is the whole experience just felt very gimmicky. And finally, it's a terrible value in terms of bang for your buck. You will spend far more time packed in a van and crammed on a boat than you will with the stingrays. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Super27 said:

The major issue was too crowded. There are a TON of people there from multiple boats. The other thing is the whole experience just felt very gimmicky. And finally, it's a terrible value in terms of bang for your buck. You will spend far more time packed in a van and crammed on a boat than you will with the stingrays. 

It's understandable which was why I recommended the earliest independent tour which can be cheaper and include an additional stop for lunch and snorkeling.  Assuming one likes the idea of interacting with stingrays (not everyone does), for most, this is the best thing to do on the island

The other tour boat groups didn’t bother us with either Captain Marvin or Stingray Sailing.  We kept our distance and there were plenty of stingrays to go around.  We each hand-fed the stingrays squid instead of just watching crew lure them in (that’s what the big tours do).  I’m booking Stingray Sailing next April.

According to cruise mapper we are the only ship in port that day.  Our port time is 10:30 - 5pm

So we will not be able to get there early in the day.  I have contacted Captain Marvin and Stingray Sailing and waiting for reply.  I am sure things are crazy with the hurricane going throught the area. It looks like Stingray sailing is on a catamaran. Captain Marvin's boat  looks like a larger speed/fishing boat.

• Like 1

We did a third party tour there as well and it was one of my favorite stops.  There were 6 people on our boat.  We got there before any of the cruise line excursions and our guide helped us all feed, pet, and kiss the string rays. 

Posted (edited)

Our friends did this tour in June on the Beyond. It was WAY too crowded, and the lunch was Not good. Additionally, the day was very windy, and the water was up past their shoulders — way above their waists. 

Edited by DingoMom

On 7/4/2024 at 9:14 AM, raudacruise said:

I recommend either Captain Marvin or Stingray Sailing. https://stingraysailing.com/

I 1,000% agree with Stingray Sailing. The stingrays know the sound of his boat and you are surrounded by stingrays as soon as the boat stops. The other large boat tours come over to the boat to grab stingrays to take to their group.

On 7/3/2024 at 4:36 PM, SbbquilterUT said:

We chose to go on a smaller boat with Captain Marvin - smaller boat, snorkeled away from the bigger groups.  

We too enjoyed Captain Marvin’s tour. We seemed to arrive before the big groups did which was nice. I don’t know if that’s always the norm.