"Featured Wine" with ?Dynamic Pricing?, and a Couple of Well Priced Bottles

canderson

First, was perusing the wine list aboard a ship we'll be sailing soon, and noticed for the first time that Celebrity seems to be practicing some 'dynamic' pricing with wine.  Maybe I just haven't been paying attention?  But if you have any inclination to buy the Opulence Celebrity-Grgich Hills wine by the bottle, best to buy it during lunch and tell them to hold it for dinner!

The following screen shots are from a lunch menu (top), and from the same day's dinner menu (bottom).  What's up with that?

Wine1.jpg.88fd7389e005cd3f3605c5eae9251c25.jpg    Wine2.jpg.5b0db819f8f553f0e687cf34e2a03a57.jpg

And just wanted to note that the Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo is still an excellent deal by the bottle.  Unlike just about everything else in the X by-the-bottle list, and similar to Silversea pricing, this one is a good value vs. shoreside retail.

One other that I noted was the Penner-Ash Pinot Noir **Yamhill*.  Your choice here has to be nuanced.  They're also offering a Penner-Ash Pinot Noir **Willamette**.  For the same price, take the Yamhill which is a little nicer wine and also a good value vs. shoreside retail.

Edited by canderson
improved formatting
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, canderson said:

First, was perusing the wine list aboard a ship we'll be sailing soon, and noticed for the first time that Celebrity seems to be practicing some 'dynamic' pricing with wine.  Maybe I just haven't been paying attention?  But if you have any inclination to buy the Opulence Celebrity-Grgich Hills wine by the bottle, best to buy it during lunch and tell them to hold it for dinner!

The following screen shots are from a lunch menu (top), and from the same day's dinner menu (bottom).  What's up with that?

Wine1.jpg.88fd7389e005cd3f3605c5eae9251c25.jpg    Wine2.jpg.5b0db819f8f553f0e687cf34e2a03a57.jpg

And just wanted to note that the Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo is still an excellent deal by the bottle.  Unlike just about everything else in the X by-the-bottle list, and similar to Silversea pricing, this one is a good value vs. shoreside retail.

One other that I noted was the Penner-Ash Pinot Noir **Yamhill*.  Your choice here has to be nuanced.  They're also offering a Penner-Ash Pinot Noir **Willamette**.  For the same price, take the Yamhill which is a little nicer wine and also a good value vs. shoreside retail.

How much is the Barolo?  I think for my next cruise I will go with bottles at dinner.  Does Celebrity make many changes to the wine list in 6 months?  Our cruise in the Retreat is in January.  I’ll take a look at the wine list.

Just now, zitsky said:

How much is the Barolo?  I think for my next cruise I will go with bottles at dinner.  Does Celebrity make many changes to the wine list in 6 months?  Our cruise in the Retreat is in January.  I’ll take a look at the wine list.

The Michele Chiarlo Cerequio is going for $135 a bottle on the ship. 

2 hours ago, canderson said:

A bottle of Opulence Cabernet Sauvignon costs about $52 here in the states. 

Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo about $114.

I think the reason for the difference in the Luch:Dinner price is the Dinner bottle is aged more. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

2 minutes ago, Oxo said:

A bottle of Opulence Cabernet Sauvignon costs about $52 here in the states. 

Michele Chiarlo Cerequio Barolo about $114.

I think the reason for the difference in the Luch:Dinner price is the Dinner bottle is aged more. LOL

Yes, wasn't recommending the Opulence for its price, just noting the price disparity for those that might be interested in it.  Love your 'aging' reasoning, though. 😁  I don't believe that the "Opulence" you're price quoting is the same as the one by that name co-branded by Celebrity and Grgich, though.  Yours is more likely the one made by Opulence Wines https://www.opulencewine.com/  I don't believe there's any relationship between them.  Have never seen the Celebrity-Grgich branded wine sold outside of a Celebrity ship.

Your price for the Barolo is pretty much what we see here as well.  Makes it a value onboard compared to many others, and it's a very nice bottle of wine. 

8 minutes ago, canderson said:

Yes, wasn't recommending the Opulence for its price, just noting the price disparity for those that might be interested in it.  Love your 'aging' reasoning, though. 😁  I don't believe that the "Opulence" you're price quoting is the same as the one by that name co-branded by Celebrity and Grgich, though.  Yours is more likely the one made by Opulence Wines https://www.opulencewine.com/  I don't believe there's any relationship between them.  Have never seen the Celebrity-Grgich branded wine sold outside of a Celebrity ship.

Your price for the Barolo is pretty much what we see here as well.  Makes it a value onboard compared to many others, and it's a very nice bottle of wine. 

As you say, there’s no relationship between Opulence Wines and the Grgich Hills Celebrity co-branded Opulence. Actually, if you could buy the co-brand at retail, I suspect California wouldn’t have approved the label for Opulence wineries. 

The co-brand is a nice cab. Not great, but better than many on the ship, and made to be ready to drink. 

6 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Are you looking at the wine list for the current sailing of that ship?

Yes - current sailing for Constellation - believe it was yesterday's 'menu'.   Understand that things may change before we arrive - just getting a feeling for what's still available now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, markeb said:

As you say, there’s no relationship between Opulence Wines and the Grgich Hills Celebrity co-branded Opulence. Actually, if you could buy the co-brand at retail, I suspect California wouldn’t have approved the label for Opulence wineries. 

The co-brand is a nice cab. Not great, but better than many on the ship, and made to be ready to drink. 

image.thumb.png.8beb5c0d7abaa9c8e5848828528a3064.png

36 minutes ago, canderson said:

Yes - current sailing for Constellation - believe it was yesterday's 'menu'.   Understand that things may change before we arrive - just getting a feeling for what's still available now.

Ok. Still, if I’m seeing different prices for the wines depending on lunch or dinner menus, my first assumption is that the app is incorrect—not that there’s dynamic pricing or an arbitrage opportunity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Ok. Still, if I’m seeing different prices for the wines depending on lunch or dinner menus, my first assumption is that the app is incorrect—not that there’s dynamic pricing or an arbitrage opportunity. 

Another example of Celebrity problems.

Management needs a BIG review!

22 minutes ago, Oxo said:

image.thumb.png.8beb5c0d7abaa9c8e5848828528a3064.png

Vivino is a third party broker. Have you bought Opulence through them? The Opulence line is not listed on Grgich Hills' web page. It's not on Total Wine, or any of the other broker/consolidators. The reviews on Vivino are from people who drank it on a Celebrity ship. The bottles for sale may well have been purchased unopened by someone on a ship who was speculating on selling them. Or they may not really exist. The current release of Grgich Hills (2019) without the co-brand is $72 direct  from the winery or $68 at Total Wine here in Virginia. The 2016 (same vintage as the photo, is $179 for a magnum from Total Wine. 

And yes, buying wine for speculation is a thing. There was a time when Opus One Overture (their non-vintage second line) was only available at the winery. Then someone from Opus was in Japan and found it for sale. Turns out some of the higher end restaurants were literally getting people to buy Overture from the winery and ferry it back to Japan. (They now sell Overture at retail, although it's still not easy to find.)

But finding a bottle on Vivino is not evidence that Grgich Hills or Celebrity are knowingly selling it at retail. Even the language in the ad says "Celebrity Exclusive".

Clearly, Celebrity thinks people won't notice the price differential b/t lunch and dinner. I would order the wine at dinner and ask them to bill your room for the lunch price. Unless there is a size differential (there isn't), this is a pure Celebrity money grab. Call them out on it. 

• Like 2

I have found the decision of glass vs bottle pretty simple. I take the per glass price, subtract $17 for my Deluxe Beverage Package and then multiply that by 5.  If that number is larger than the per bottle price, then I buy the bottle, if it is lower, I order per glass.  

This is after deciding if I want a wine not already covered by the DBP.  

3 hours ago, hcat said:

same wines..diff prices at lunch & dinner?  Ripoff???

Why is it a ripoff and not a simple mistake? Yeah, they should be drawing from the same database, but it seems like over half the people on the board don’t trust the app. Does everyone choose to believe it when it supports a negative narrative? I mean it could be right and there are two prices, but the simplest answer is there’s an error in the app. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, markeb said:

Why is it a ripoff and not a simple mistake? Yeah, they should be drawing from the same database, but it seems like over half the people on the board don’t trust the app. Does everyone choose to believe it when it supports a negative narrative? I mean it could be right and there are two prices, but the simplest answer is there’s an error in the app. 

Perhaps. But when both wines have the same "mistake" I tend to think it's intentional. I'd actually bet coin this is intentional as Celebrity believes it can get more revenue from the same bottle of wine at dinner versus lunch. 

5 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

Perhaps. But when both wines have the same "mistake" I tend to think it's intentional. I'd actually bet coin this is intentional as Celebrity believes it can get more revenue from the same bottle of wine at dinner versus lunch. 

What if it were Princess or Carnival? The cruise lines you post on most often and presumably cruise with most often? Same thoughts?

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

I have found the decision of glass vs bottle pretty simple. I take the per glass price, subtract $17 for my Deluxe Beverage Package and then multiply that by 5.  If that number is larger than the per bottle price, then I buy the bottle, if it is lower, I order per glass.  

This is after deciding if I want a wine not already covered by the DBP.  

Not to say one can't find a hidden gem now and again, but it's rare to find a wine in the Premium Package that would sell for more than $20 at home.  Perhaps the most extreme example on the list would be the 2021 Excelsior Cabernet Sauvignon which can still be had for $7.99 a bottle if you know where to look - more typically $9.99.  Hard to have too high an expectation there, but surely not one on the Premium list is worth $17 a glass in any venue, no matter how bad the usual markup.  I guess one way to look at this is that for higher priced glasses of wine, they're spotting me $17, a whole lot more than a glass on the Premium list is worth.

The Elevated by-the-glass list, OTOH, can be a decent deal.  For an advantaged example, take a glass of Penner Ash Pinot.  They want $21 a glass for it (or $100 a bottle).  What I'd wind up paying is $4.80 per glass with tip (Premium Package comes with the cabin).  Figure 6 glasses to the bottle and it's costing me $28.80 a bottle instead of the $100 a bottle that X charges for this wine.  Heck, the price at home is just under $70.  So as you note, bottles don't always make sense, but it's hard to do anything with just the Premium list.  Pays to pay close attention to the pricing on the Elevated list.

Edited by canderson
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, markeb said:

What if it were Princess or Carnival? The cruise lines you post on most often and presumably cruise with most often? Same thoughts?

Same - makes no difference what cruise line I've cruised on, dude. It still would be a money grab regardless of the corporation. Don't appreciate the snide implication of your post either. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, canderson said:

The Elevated by-the-glass list, OTOH, can be a decent deal.  For an advantaged example, take a glass of Penner Ash Pinot.  They want $21 a glass for it (or $100 a bottle).  What I'd wind up paying is $4.80 per glass with tip (Premium Package comes with the cabin).  Figure 6 glasses to the bottle and it's costing me $28.80 a bottle instead of the $100 a bottle that X charges for this wine.  Heck, the price at home is just under $70.  So as you note, bottles don't always make sense, but it's hard to do anything with just the Premium list.  Pays to pay close attention to the pricing on the Elevated list.

Elevated is the new Premium plus list?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markeb said:

oh .. I thought that was the actual pricing, which would not be equitable.  We do not use the app so I have no idea what its problems may be??  I do not drink wine,  so I have no idea of good from bad  or prices!  

I do know that restaurants often charge more for the same dish at dinner & lunch but assume the dinner portion is larger,...

guess I'll.just leave it alone

• Like 1