What’s The Downside — Celebrity Flights

11 minutes ago, canderson said:

Not to book, but in the past, I've upgraded FBC tickets with miles on United. 

Interesting. Our upcoming flight on UA from ORD to Ams is on PE. I wanted to upgrade to business class & was told this ticket was not eligible for upgrades. 

11 minutes ago, canderson said:

Not to book, but in the past, I've upgraded FBC tickets with miles on United. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The disadvantage of using Flights by Celebrity is that you lose the choice of airlines.  Yes, I will save $30 pp booking through them but that will me an extra $100 in luggage fees vs booking through Southwest Airlines 

Edited by jlawrence01
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I am asking about traveling on a *single* ticket on FBC.  I am asking how many stops are permitted on a single ticket?  I don’t mean stop and get off the plane.  I mean how many connections am I permitted by FBC to get from point A to point B?  It was suggested up thread that there is some limit.  

Does FBC allow layovers where I *do* get off the plane and stay for a few days along the way or at beginning or end?

Fewer connections are better but there are times where adding a connection might change the price.

Simply go on FBC to see if the flights they offer meet your needs.  All your flight questions are complex and you shouldn’t expect much from FBC who are used to getting people from their home to their cruise

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jlawrence01 said:

The disadvantage of using Flights by Celebrity is that you lose the choice of airlines.  Yes, I will save $30 pp booking through them but that will me an extra $100 in luggage fees vs booking through Southwest Airlines 

I have always chosen my flights - perhaps Southwest doesn’t participate?

I haven’t flown Southwest in many years, not certain that they have non-stops from my nearest international airport.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dabear said:

Interesting. Our upcoming flight on UA from ORD to Ams is on PE. I wanted to upgrade to business class & was told this ticket was not eligible for upgrades.

Sorry.  You lost me with "PE".  It's possible that FBC booked a ticket in a fare class that wasn't upgradeable, though for enough miles/money, I've always found it possible in the past.  Have you gone to the United site to see if your flight appears (it should).  You would normally be able to make seat assignments, and request the upgrade online.

Two westbound TAs ago, once I had booked the cruise and FBC flights with my agent, I was able to go online at United and upgrade all four of us to Polaris for miles and a few bucks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nachosdelux said:

PE is premium economy 

Got it.  Like the old business class seats behind Polaris on a 787.  Think that's what they call those vs. the regular Economy Plus.  Nice seats if that's what you have.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2024 at 10:38 AM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Several things come to mind and might not apply to all airlines.

Cannot pick your own seat

Will not get free luggage on an airline branded credit card

Less control over flight changes

Will not get double miles since you are not paying the airline directly on the branded CC

Might not get miles at all

Less of a choice of flights, times and airlines

To be fair, the inability to pick seats is not a FBC restriction, but an airline and / or fare class restriction.  

For example, British Airways only allows you to pick seats in advance I if you are in First Class ( not business class) or have certain status in their their e flyer program.  This applies if you get tickets direct from them or via FBC.  Similar for other airlines. 

FBC purchases or contracts to purchases a certain number of seats in bulk for specific flights from specific airlines.  This is why not all flights are available.  If you can find a flight that works for you, and it is a lot less expensive than booking direct, it may work.  If not, don't bother.

• Like 1

PE is premium economy, which agree, are nice seats but not flat seats. Yes, I went to UA site & while ticket issued (2 months away),says ticket non-upgradable. I also called UA & they said same, regardless of using cash or miles.

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Sorry.  You lost me with "PE".  It's possible that FBC booked a ticket in a fare class that wasn't upgradeable, though for enough miles/money, I've always found it possible in the past.  Have you gone to the United site to see if your flight appears (it should).  You would normally be able to make seat assignments, and request the upgrade online.

Two westbound TAs ago, once I had booked the cruise and FBC flights with my agent, I was able to go online at United and upgrade all four of us to Polaris for miles and a few bucks.

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

I am asking about traveling on a *single* ticket on FBC.  I am asking how many stops are permitted on a single ticket?  I don’t mean stop and get off the plane.  I mean how many connections am I permitted by FBC to get from point A to point B?  It was suggested up thread that there is some limit.  

Does FBC allow layovers where I *do* get off the plane and stay for a few days along the way or at beginning or end?

Fewer connections are better but there are times where adding a connection might change the price.

It would be best to phone FBC to get the latest information 🙄

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

It would be best to phone FBC to get the latest information 🙄

You wouldn’t know a website where people share information about cruise topics, would you?  If I actually want to do this then, yes I would call someone.  I manage to do most of my travel plans without ever picking up a telephone.

26 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You wouldn’t know a website where people share information about cruise topics, would you?  If I actually want to do this then, yes I would call someone.  I manage to do most of my travel plans without ever picking up a telephone.

The question you were asking is a situation 99% of the members would’ve of dealt with 

So you ask questions for situations that you have no attentions of doing ? 

15 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

The question you were asking is a situation 99% of the members would’ve of dealt with 

So you ask questions for situations that you have no attentions of doing ? 

I ask questions on a travel forum to educate myself about travel I might want to do.  You may have all the answers but I don’t.  I guess I’ll limit myself to asking about things I have already done.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2024 at 12:00 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

After the final payment, they require a $200 fee to make changes.  When booking directly with the airlines, as long as you don't book their "basic" fares, they allow you to change your flight without any fee, even on the day of the original flight.  When booking with the airline, non-basic fares, you can cancel the flight and receive a future flight credit

We just finished using Flights By Celebrity and the administration fee for changes and cancellations after final payment has moved to $215.00.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2024 at 11:21 AM, JerseyGirlatHeart said:

It is my understanding that I can book a flight on Celebrity Flights and if the price goes down between now and final payment, I have the option to change the booking, refare, or completely cancel the booked flight without penalty.  What is the downside?

We have been using Flights by Celebrity for a few years now. We would research fares on the actual airline website, make our choice and then call Flights by Celebrity to book. The cost was usually about $5/person less than booking directly with the airline. We generally book from Toronto-Ft Lauderdale or Detroit-Ft Lauderdale.

The pricing advantage on these same itineraries is now gone, as Flights by Celebrity now charges approximately $75/person more than the cost of booking directly with the airline. This has been implemented to account for the ability to hold off paying until final payment of the cruise.

That is a new “downside”.

Randy

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I ask questions on a travel forum to educate myself about travel I might want to do.  You may have all the answers but I don’t.  I guess I’ll limit myself to asking about things I have already done.

How does it feel? Google it .

They posted answers. 

😆 

4 hours ago, jlawrence01 said:

FBC aside, it's always a good idea to search all airlines for flights like on Google Flights.  Post-pandemic, we've never found SW to be competitive even with the 10% off Costco Giftcards

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, asctony said:

How does it feel? Google it .

They posted answers. 

😆

The difference between us is that I explained why I was looking for info while you kept posting one complaint after another about how you couldn’t use Celebrity systems even after it was explained to you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, zitsky said:

The difference between us is that I explained why I was looking for info while you kept posting one complaint after another about how you couldn’t use Celebrity systems even after it was explained to you.

That's what these forums are for. If you don't like what I post or my opinion, move on!

Do you personally believe Celebrity systems are User Friendly?

Like the OP said, they are not.

If they were you, me & others would not be asking questions.

Maybe I should ask about the Dress Code? LOL

10 minutes ago, asctony said:

That's what these forums are for. If you don't like what I post or my opinion, move on!

Do you personally believe Celebrity systems are User Friendly?

Like the OP said, they are not.

If they were you, me & others would not be asking questions.

Maybe I should ask about the Dress Code? LOL

Guess what?  A forum isn’t a private place for you to vent.  That’s called a blog.  You want to complain?  Go right ahead.  Other people get to comment.

I made the terrible mistake of trying to offer you helpful advice.  Look where that got me.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Guess what?  A forum isn’t a private place for you to vent.  That’s called a blog.  You want to complain?  Go right ahead.  Other people get to comment.

I made the terrible mistake of trying to offer you helpful advice.  Look where that got me.

Then, let's STOP.

Bye bye.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, rotoal said:

I have always chosen my flights - perhaps Southwest doesn’t participate?

I haven’t flown Southwest in many years, not certain that they have non-stops from my nearest international airport.

Southwest does NOT participate.

There are two benefits for us to use SWA over FBC.

1) Two free bags per person 

2) No change fees.  It is not uncommon for us to add a cruise before or after a Celebrity cruise.  And occasionally, we will visit family while we are on the east coast as we don't get there often.

As for non-stops, they are rare out of our airport other than LAX and SAN or they involve a drive in Phoenix where we have to pay for parking.

• Like 1

The downside is that you are booking with a 2nd party.  You probably will not get frequent flier miles.  The flights likely are not the best/shortest flights.  Sometimes when you are traveling with a group your group may be split up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

The downside is that you are booking with a 2nd party.  You probably will not get frequent flier miles.  The flights likely are not the best/shortest flights.  Sometimes when you are traveling with a group your group may be split up.

You get to pick your flights , so you can pick best for you 

it is no different than booking with Expedia or other booking sites 

• Like 2